light in obstructed view cabins

mycruisey

I am wondering how much light there is in a cabin with a tender in front of the window (those in which you see the inside of the boat). I have been in obstructed view cabins, but never one with that much obstruction.

I've only been in an obstructed view once (partially obstructed), but I think it can depend on the cabin. Looking at the deck plan should give you a pretty good idea of how obstructed your view might be. I recall a thread on here where people had posted pictures showing the view. I would do a search of the Princess forum for cabin views or obstructed cabins. I was able to see what the view would be from my cabin. My cabin was between tenders, but had some pipes in the way. Probably 80% unobstructed.

Just returned from an obstructed on the Star. IMHO it was not worth the price above an inside. If the boat is at your window (not a view between boats) you will not see much, and minimal light will come through. We got this on a guarantee, and would not settle for such a cabin again. If I could pick a cabin,and it had to be an obstructed view, it would be between boats, which is much better. The diagrams on the Princess website are very good in showing exactly where the boats are. Hope this helps.

You always get "some" light, but it might have an orange glow to it. Depends on which type of lifeboat (a small one or a large tender) is outside your window and where you are positioned in relation to the lifeboat (front, middle or back). Go to this website, and you can see actual photos from each obstructed view cabin on every Princess ship: http://https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/.

For what it's worth, I was in one of these cabins and there was a lifeboat right in front of the window. I had about a foot of view between the top of the lifeboat and the bottom of the deck above. So I got a good bit of sunlight even though it wasn't a big window. So it's really going to depend on the ship and just where your cabin is in relation to lifeboats and tenders.

You will get some light in your cabin. It depends on if the lifeboat is small or large and if you cabin is at the front, back or middle of the lifeboat.

Remember there is maintenance done on these boats while sailing. So close the curtains when taking a shower and dressing. Otherwise you get a surprise you were not counting on. I did when I was on a 18 day T/A. Another time I was taking a nap (good thing I had my clothes on) and found one of the ships personnel just sitting in the boat.:eek:

We met a couple (became friends) who had an obstructed view for their first leg of their cruise on Island Princess. The lifeboat completely blocked the window.

Our joke was ... in case of an emergency we could knock out their window and hop right into the lifeboat! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I am wondering how much light there is in a cabin with a tender in front of the window (those in which you see the inside of the boat). I have been in obstructed view cabins, but never one with that much obstruction.

We had an obstructed view that was near the controls for

the davits. There was an outside overhead light (for the controls).

It was like having a very bright porch light all the time.

Yes, do check Renmars site for seeing all the different obstructed cabins on different ships.

On turnaround day, I race around with my camera and try to photograph the various cabins and the window views.

And yes, there is a huge difference from each cabin ranging from a clear view to those to be avoided-- staring into a lifeboat!

Have to admit, we try to book balconies if possible.;)

Archived