Hilton - FLL Airport To Be Demolished

Florissouri

The Hilton - FLL Airport located on Griffin Road is in the "crash zone" of the new FLL runway so Broward County bought it for $62,000,000. The parking garage is scheduled for demolition in November (or soon after) and the Hilton can remain until March 31, 2014.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-06-11/news/fl-airport-hilton-purchase-tophat-20130611_1_runway-clear-way-hotel-building

When the plan for the runway project came out it was announced that the hotel would have to be demolished. That was over a year ago and it seems like the runway project has been going fairly smoothly except for creating vehicle traffic headaches.

The Hilton - FLL Airport located on Griffin Road is in the "crash zone" of the new FLL runway so Broward County bought it for $62,000,000. The parking garage is scheduled for demolition in November (or soon after) and the Hilton can remain until March 31, 2014.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-06-11/news/fl-airport-hilton-purchase-tophat-20130611_1_runway-clear-way-hotel-building

$62 million? That seems like a lot for a hotel.

• 2 months later...

Oh my!!! I just booked this hotel for 3/13/14. I'd better rethink that!:eek:

I would definitely book somewhere else and not wait. :)

Keith

No, they'll be fine.

I would check the rates again and if they're lower, rebook. Then as March gets closer I would keep checking the rates and rebook again.

I just came off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday in Miami and a dinner companion is flying back to New York from FLL today, but her post cruise hotel was the Sheraton Airport in Miami. I suggested she cancel her reservation and stay in Ft Lauderdale instead. She called from Key West on Thursday and got a $75 rate at the FLL Airport Hilton for last night (Friday).

There's going to be some great deals at this hotel before they close.

No, they'll be fine.

I would check the rates again and if they're lower, rebook. Then as March gets closer I would keep checking the rates and rebook again.

I just came off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday in Miami and a dinner companion is flying back to New York from FLL today, but her post cruise hotel was the Sheraton Airport in Miami. I suggested she cancel her reservation and stay in Ft Lauderdale instead. She called from Key West on Thursday and got a $75 rate at the FLL Airport Hilton for last night (Friday).

I've already cancelled, but I may keep checking back like you suggested. Thanks!

Hi,

I am just wondering if they will provide a good service to the end ..... or they will not care since they will not have to worry if one is going to come back or not.

A low or even lower price might not be ( for me ) as attractive as a good service.

Hi,

I am just wondering if they will provide a good service to the end ..... or they will not care since they will not have to worry if one is going to come back or not.

A low or even lower price might not be ( for me ) as attractive as a good service.

So true!!!!!!!!!!

So true!!!!!!!!!!

All of the people working there probably will be loosing their job ...... might not be a happy place and it will take some extra ordinary effort to care for the guests ..... and things that will not work properly ( like ac or shower or toilet ..... or even worse ( bed bugs ) ........ might or probably will not be corrected.

All of the people working there probably will be loosing their job ...... might not be a happy place and it will take some extra ordinary effort to care for the guests ..... and things that will not work properly ( like ac or shower or toilet ..... or even worse ( bed bugs ) ........ might or probably will not be corrected.

Oh YUCK!!!!!! Not a good way to start a cruise!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

No, they'll be fine.

When you say fine I am not sure what that means.

Hotel will be vacated March 31, 2014 and reservation for March 12, 2014. I don't think hotel will be very motivated and I would wonder about upkeep and service at that point.

I would just book somewhere else and glad to see the poster cancelled it.

Keith

You're just Mr Optimist, aren't you? :eek:

It's still a Hilton property. The folks that stick it out to the end will be loyal employees and will do their jobs.

When you say fine I am not sure what that means.

Hotel will be vacated March 31, 2014 and reservation for March 12, 2014. I don't think hotel will be very motivated and I would wonder about upkeep and service at that point.

I would just book somewhere else and glad to see the poster cancelled it.

Keith

Nah...I'll betcha a dollar to a donut he will rebook a $59 rate in March. It's still a Hilton and it will be a bargain.

You're just Mr Optimist, aren't you? :eek:

It's still a Hilton property. The folks that stick it out to the end will be loyal employees and will do their jobs.

Yep, I am Mr Optimist ....... it makes no difference whose property it is ..... yep, I know I am loosing a job in this hotel and I will be as cheerful and helpful as ever.... and I will make sure everything is fixed and working today ..... even that no one will need it tomorrow.

Yep, I am Mr Optimist ....... it makes no difference whose property it is ..... yep, I know I am loosing a job in this hotel and I will be as cheerful and helpful as ever.... and I will make sure everything is fixed and working today ..... even that no one will need it tomorrow.

I seriously doubt that everyone at this hotel is losing their jobs. Due to the circumstances of the hotel being taken for an airport improvement project, I'm sure that Hilton will find all of the employees positions at other Hilton Properties throughout the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

I seriously doubt that everyone at this hotel is losing their jobs. Due to the circumstances of the hotel being taken for an airport improvement project, I'm sure that Hilton will find all of the employees positions at other Hilton Properties throughout the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

Hi,

I hope and wish that that will happen.

Then don't stay there and pay triple the price elsewhere.

Archived