Vancouver taxis

love2travel41

You will find that Vancouver's cab drivers will accept USD but as pointed out you will receive your change in CAD....sooo keep the bank notes small. The cabs are also equipped to accept major credit cards including Visa and MasterCard. Some will accept AMEX but few if any will take Discover. A few, about 20%, also have the ability to take US ATM cards. Yes, you can add the tip to the credit card...my experience is that they leave the tip spot blank for you to complete, however if you want to give the tip in cash be it USD or CAD that is fine too.

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I am really looking forward to this trip.

There is a Sky Train that goes from YVR to Waterfront Station. The cost last time earlier this month was $9 CA going and $4 CA going back. It is actually faster than a cab or bus. You do have to walk a couple of blocks from the station to the port.

There is a Sky Train that goes from YVR to Waterfront Station. The cost last time earlier this month was $9 CA going and $4 CA going back. It is actually faster than a cab or bus. You do have to walk a couple of blocks from the station to the port.

It is $9 if you buy it at the platform. And during the weekday.

This is because they are tacking on some extra $5 fee. But if you got the sky train tickets ahead of time, the extra $5 fee is waived.

Also during the weekend, all fares are 2.75, even between YVR and Waterfront Station.

What we did was to buy the tickets at 7-11 which is one of the stores on lower levels of the airport. Unfortunately, they only sell the tickets in a packet of 10, so it was 22.50 CAD (now it would be 27.50). There was 5 of us, so we used five of the tickets, and had 5 extra tickets. Because we did a one way cruise, we had no use for the rest of the tickets. I tried to sell them to other travelers, but I had to approach about a dozen people before I was able to sell three of them at 5.00 CAD each. For some reason people are hesitant to buy train tickets unless it comes from a vendor machine. The other two tickets I used later as tip.

Even so, it worked out to be about 7.50 CAD per the total 5 of us, or about one-sixth the price that CptSticky suggests.

It is $9 if you buy it at the platform. And during the weekday.

This is because they are tacking on some extra $5 fee. But if you got the sky train tickets ahead of time, the extra $5 fee is waived.

Also during the weekend, all fares are 2.75, even between YVR and Waterfront Station.

What we did was to buy the tickets at 7-11 which is one of the stores on lower levels of the airport. Unfortunately, they only sell the tickets in a packet of 10, so it was 22.50 CAD (now it would be 27.50). There was 5 of us, so we used five of the tickets, and had 5 extra tickets. Because we did a one way cruise, we had no use for the rest of the tickets. I tried to sell them to other travelers, but I had to approach about a dozen people before I was able to sell three of them at 5.00 CAD each. For some reason people are hesitant to buy train tickets unless it comes from a vendor machine. The other two tickets I used later as tip.

Even so, it worked out to be about 7.50 CAD per the total 5 of us, or about one-sixth the price that CptSticky suggests.

Just to clarify this a little bit, as the YVR surcharge is 7/24

There's a $5 surcharge for all single tickets bought on the platform at YVR. It's 2 zones between downtown and YVR; and one zone evenings and weekends. So if you buy single tickets on the platform

YVR-Downtown: $9 (7.75 eves/weekends)

Downtown-YVR: $4 (2.75 eves/weekends)

As mentioned you can also buy a book of 10 one zone tickets at the 7-11 for $21.50 or a book of 10 two zone tickets for $31.00, and there's no surcharge on these tickets. Only takes 3-4 people to make it worthwhile form the airport... Each of these tickets are good for 90 minutes anywhere within the Vancouver transit system (skytrain/bus/seabus), so places like Grouse mt, Capilano suspension bridge, the Anthopology Museum at UBC etc etc are all in easy reach

Just to clarify this a little bit, as the YVR surcharge is 7/24

There's a $5 surcharge for all single tickets bought on the platform at YVR. It's 2 zones between downtown and YVR; and one zone evenings and weekends. So if you buy single tickets on the platform

YVR-Downtown: $9 (7.75 eves/weekends)

Downtown-YVR: $4 (2.75 eves/weekends)

As mentioned you can also buy a book of 10 one zone tickets at the 7-11 for $21.50 or a book of 10 two zone tickets for $31.00, and there's no surcharge on these tickets. Only takes 3-4 people to make it worthwhile form the airport... Each of these tickets are good for 90 minutes anywhere within the Vancouver transit system (skytrain/bus/seabus), so places like Grouse mt, Capilano suspension bridge, the Anthopology Museum at UBC etc etc are all in easy reach

Thank you for clarifying it. Now that I think about it, it might have been 21.50 CAD, and not 22.50 as I posted.

Thank you for clarifying it. Now that I think about it, it might have been 21.50 CAD, and not 22.50 as I posted.

Actually I got it wrong, it's $21 and $32.50 for the 1 and 2 zone 10 packs respectively (now that I look over on my desk at one of each). But I'm counting off by 50 cents as 'close enough'.

so are the Skytrain tix just 'transit tickets' ie can we use them on the bus system? Hubby and myself are flying in early on the day before we sail and are planning a road trip to Museum of Vancouver and Bard on the Beach after we drop off our things at the Pan Pacific..

so are the Skytrain tix just 'transit tickets' ie can we use them on the bus system? Hubby and myself are flying in early on the day before we sail and are planning a road trip to Museum of Vancouver and Bard on the Beach after we drop off our things at the Pan Pacific..

They're transit tickets. Once validated, they're good for 90 minutes on all buses, the Seabus and all Skytrain lines. (assuming you stay within the zone boundaries).

Do the Skytrain transit tickets expire? We would like to use the Skytrain this summer and in the fall. Can we buy a book and then use the leftover tickets later in a couple of months?

Thanks.

Judy

Thank you for that information, but we will be going to s hotel sn thn to the port the next day. Coming from Upper Michigan, I would never be daring enough to fly in the day of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to your review as 2014 we will cruise to Alaska.

Archived