Moorea embarkation instead of Papeete?

Kissing Seahorses

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this.... we will be pre-extending our French Polynesian cruise in Moorea next April and were wondering if it was possible to embark the Marina at the 2nd port (Moorea) instead of returning to Papeete to board. It dosen't really matter that much but we thought it might be a little less hectic to board in Moorea rather than taking the ferry back to Papeete with luggage, etc., the day prior. Just wondering if anyone has done this or inquired with Oceania about the same?

Thanks

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this.... we will be pre-extending our French Polynesian cruise in Moorea next April and were wondering if it was possible to embark the Marina at the 2nd port (Moorea) instead of returning to Papeete to board. It dosen't really matter that much but we thought it might be a little less hectic to board in Moorea rather than taking the ferry back to Papeete with luggage, etc., the day prior. Just wondering if anyone has done this or inquired with Oceania about the same?

Thanks

Are you asking whether you can start your cruise at the second port of call rather than the first? Without a price reduction, of course!

I know that some people got off a day early on our French Polynesia cruise. I also know that my TA said that if I wanted to leave the ship for a couple of days for a side trip, we could. However we had to tell Oceania before final payment.

So probably do-able! However you really must make sure that Oceania knows you are doing this or they might think you are a no-show.

Are you asking whether you can start your cruise at the second port of call rather than the first? Without a price reduction, of course!

I know that some people got off a day early on our French Polynesia cruise. I also know that my TA said that if I wanted to leave the ship for a couple of days for a side trip, we could. However we had to tell Oceania before final payment.

So probably do-able! However you really must make sure that Oceania knows you are doing this or they might think you are a no-show.

It's actually more complicated than just the Passenger convenience factor, because the Port Charges which are paid by a Ship are based on whether that ship is just passing through or taking on passengers.

Before committing to such a plan of action, the OP will want to get written permission from Oceania, which will in turn want to confirm with the local authorities that embarking in the second port won't incur additional fees.

Any additional fees would be the responsibility of the passenger(s) who caused them, read the fine print in your passage contract.

We took the ferry from Moorea, where we spent a few days, to Tahiti for our Paul Gauguin cruise. All ports will be tendering ones other than Papeete, in Tahiti. It is very easy to transport luggage from Moorea to Tahiti- it is collected at your hotel with your transfer and handed over to the ferry agent, where it is placed in a cargo bin and rolled onto the ferry with the cars. It is rolled off and waiting for you as you disembark. The cruise ship will be docked right by the ferry, where the luggage will be collected.

If you want to embark in Moorea, you run the risk of the ship skipping the port if the seas are rough as tendering is too dangerous- the Marina has missed this port due to the narrow bay entrance and then you miss your cruise entirely. Also, the luggage needs to be hoisted up a narrow ladder to the ship from the tender.

If you want to embark in Moorea, you run the risk of the ship skipping the port if the seas are rough as tendering is too dangerous- the Marina has missed this port due to the narrow bay entrance and then you miss your cruise entirely.

Whoops, that is a very good point! Always useful to have someone with "hands on" experience.

Sounds good, however ! Ships anchor in cooks bay which is served by a rather primitave little wood and pipe "pier" that is or can only be served by tenders....it is no where near like a port more like a second rate marina

. Second you will have to lug your own stuff from the road to tender...:rolleyes:

The ferry, as pointed out is a more polished eay and smooth... but it leaves from the other side of the island/

It is not that far from moorea to Tahiti. Many people make the trip on the ferry twice a day for work. I would just go back to Tahiti and embark there. I think it would be less stressful all round, and if you are on vacation, you do 't need to add more stress.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the 47 day grand cruise which starts in Papeete April 5, 2014 and we disembark in NYC may 22,2014. After we had booked this cruise, we realized that we would not be able to fly out in time to make the may fifth boarding. Rather than cancel, we asked our TA if she could get us permission from Oceania to board in Moorea on the sixth. Oceania is allowing us to board on the sixth. We fly out of LAX on Saturday night on air France landing in Papeete Sunday morning about 6AM. We will then take a flight at 9AM to Moorea. I think it is about 15 minutes in the air. A cab to the pier and a tender to the ship. I am assuming my luggage will get on and up to my cabin without any problem.

I think the key is that you have to get special permission from Oceania to board late. I'm not sure if there will be an issue about the checking in process,I.e., getting your picture taken for your key cards. But I'm sure they've done this before, so I'm not going to worry about it.

That's great. Just be aware of any baggage limitations on your flight to Moorea--these are small planes. Presumably you can just pay for overage. Have a great cruise!

You might want to check out the ferry as well. This would mean that you would have to leave the airport to get to the ferry which is right next to where the ship docks and not that far from the airport. There is no luggage restriction for the ferry. Also, you can arrange a private cab to pick you up at the Moorea ferry station which is close to the airport and bring you to the tender port which is on the north side of the island. Cruise ships anchor in one of the two bays so you should confirm with Oceania which they will be using. This is the ferry website. The schedules do change so you will need to check right before you go.

http://www.aremiti.net/

Where to stay in Moorea? We are going in Feb. and are looking for some ideas. Sounds like it should be fun :)

We stayed at the Moorea Pearl in a bungalow (not over the water) and really enjoyed our 4 days. The bungalows have a private backyard with a very small pool. There is a very nice feel of spaciousness on the property. Breakfast was included in the rate and we booked directly with the resort. The Pearl does not have a great beach. The mountain scenery is spectacular. We like the fact that you walk into "town" and have options to eat at other restaurants. Many restaurants will also pick you up free of charge.

The Hilton has a decent beach and has snorkeling off shore. The Hilton and the Pearl are on the north so there is no view of Tahiti. There aren't too many other dining options at the Hilton..

The Sofitel is on the best beach with a view of Tahiti but with no alternate dining options. The hotel is the nearest to the airport and ferry and is more expensive than the others.

If I went back I would stay at either the Hilton or the Pearl depending on the price point.

I think there is also an Intercontinental on the north side as well.

On the North shore, is the center for all activities and tours. The Hilton is remote on the NE side.... I think the snorkel there is crummy

Intercontinental is my best choice has lots of food choices too. it is right near cooks bay for boarding a tender.

We spent four nights at the Moorea Pearl in May. They had a promotion with a 30% discount and a two catagory upgrade,so it was very reasonable and they included breakfast. The pool area was lovely, although the overwater bungalows blocked much of the view. We had great coral right underneath our bungalow and the snorkeling was excellent. The location was great, too as it was right next to the "main" town, with our favorite pearl shop - SAB and second favorite- Tahia's a block down. There were also several good restaurants.

The Hilton was prettier and the Intercontinental had a lot going on, but we were very satisfied with the Pearl.

The snorkeling is fantastic at the Moorea Hilton as are the bungalows and there is a nice bit of beach with calm water. There are not a lot of restos close by which is a drawback and food/drink at the hotel is expensive (it is everywhere but we found the Hilton most expensive, then the Intercontinental and the most reasonable is the Pearl).

If you want a hotel with a great beach, good snorkeling, and a good view back at Tahiti, the Sofitel would be the choice but like the Hilton, there isn't anything close for dining options.

Remember though, restaurants will come and collect you without charge so you aren't really far from eating somewhere outside the hotel.

Indisputably, the Pearl has the best location for easy access to pearl and souvenir shops, grocery store for beer, wine, water and snacks, and within easy walking of some restaurants. We find the Pearl a bit densely compacted. Bungalows are close together and most of the horizon is blocked from hotel view because of the over the water bungalows. Still, it's a nice place and if the price is right, we'd stay there without a second thought.

All the hotels have beautiful, well-maintained gardens. The Intercontinental has more of a big resort feel to it in my opinion. Hilton is our favorite...ambiance, bungalow features, great breakfast buffet, crepes bar and the beautiful water....and gracious friendly staff.

Great hotel options on Moorea. No choice is a bad one!

We have tickets on Air Tahiti from Papeete to Moorea. We bought a ticket with extra luggage weight (50kg). So I think we will be fine with the luggage. We thought about the ferry but went with the flights since we are already at the airport. Either way you have to take a cab so we will take it from the Moorea airport to where the ship will be moored. Since I have permission from Oceania to board in Moorea, I will make sure my TA gets me any and all instructions I may need.

Looks like Oceania has switched the time of departure from Papeete from 11PM on April 5 to 5AM on April 6. My TA said the ship will arrive in Moorea at 8AM. We are still good with our flight on the 6th into Moorea.

• 1 month later...
Looks like Oceania has switched the time of departure from Papeete from 11PM on April 5 to 5AM on April 6. My TA said the ship will arrive in Moorea at 8AM. We are still good with our flight on the 6th into Moorea.

We took an air deviation and are going a few days early and staying at the hilton overwater. Ferry connections are easy. Adjust time zone before cruise while staying in Moorea. bucket list tick off.

Have a great vacation see you on the ship!

Archived