Room for wheelchair +4 adults in std. cabin on Celebrity Eclipse

cru2

I have enquired about a Canaries & Azores cruise for September 2014 sailing from Southampton the prices quoted are much the same but am not sure which grade of cabin is better....

1. Grade 2c Continental Deck mid ship Balcony..the information i was given is that this is a partially (25%) obstructed view by lifeboats...How bad is the obstruction?

2. Grade 2b Sunrise Deck Aft Balcony no obstruction.

Also they do not have any disabled cabins available that sleep 4 so is a standard balcony ok for a wheelchair user who cannot walk but is light enough to be carried from chair to bed, also what are the bathrooms like?

hoping someone can advise, thanks

The only good thing about the standard cabin is that the doorway is 26" wide with the door open, so possibly the chair would fit through. Otherwise you would be carrying the person from the corridor to the bed. The bathroom has a step up and the toilet is tucked between the counter and the shower. the shower is mostly oval with curved sliding doors, no place for a shower stool, shower head cannot be hand held. EM

If the wheelchair user cannot walk, you will need a HC cabin.

There will be a step to get into the bathroom, and no roll in shower.

exactly.

You may need to see about one HC cabin and a nearby/adjacent std.

Thanks to all for your replies.

is there no way to get a shower stool in the shower?

You can order a shower stool from the Access Dept here's the on line link https://secure.celebritycruises.com/onboard/specialNeedsForm.do

However it will not fit very well in a standard cabin shower. In addition to what others have posted it should be noted there will be NO grab bars in the bathroom and the shower will have at least a 4" lip to step over.

Furthermore there will be no room for the person to move about the cabin in the wheelchair even if there weren't 4 people in the cabin. You really need to book a HC cabin even if you have to book another cabin for the 2 other individuals. If you're plans are flexible suggest you find a date in which an HC cabin is available.

On a 14 day sailing you will need an accessible cabin. On some decks there are accessible inside cabins with balcony cabins across the hall. On the Eclipse the handicap cabins are fantastic. I'm not seeing any balcony handicap cabins available at all for that sailing.

Not sure about the logistics of getting the handicapped individual out onto the balcony of a standard cabin, but the bathing etc - yes you need one with the necessary room and amenities.

Hope you can get it arranged and have a wonderful cruise .

The step up to get into the standard bathroom will be nearly impossible with a risk of injury. My late Mother-in-law could only make the step with a lot of help and she held on to the door.

One night she smashed her fingers in the door!

She could walk fairly well but was feeble. She could not manage the standard shower. There wasn't room for two of us in the shower so she made do with sponge baths dipping water out of the sink.

A poor solution.

The standard cabins are fine for two adults but not large enough to accommodate four adults and a wheelchair. The standard cabins as stated by other posters have lips on the doors and do not have any grab bars.

We have been on the Eclipse and Equinox and you definitely need an accessible stateroom. The Eclipse is a lovely ship and most areas can be accessed by wheelchair.

I have attached photos of a standard bathroom and cabin. (You can see the shower reflected in the bathroom mirror.)

Hopefully you will be able to find a sailing that has an accessible stateroom.

Bathroom.jpg.b61807459a5f75208fddcadc4eb4fac1.jpg

1894192606_StandardCabin.jpg.d8dbd8dcc1b993e59681a603545d2c1c.jpg

I am disabled and use a mobility scooter full time. You most definitely need an accessible cabin----nothing else will do for you. The bathrooms are very small in regular cabins, they have a very high step, the doorway is very narrow, and I know from experience that a shower chair will not work in any category 2 cabin (my sister had one and we experimented to see if the chair would fit, and it did not---you could not shut the door). I just cannot see how you would safely carry anyone into the bathroom through those narrow doors without banging that person's head or legs into the doorjam.

Carrying a disabled person around the cabin will not work either. What happens if the seas are rough? And I also know from experience that the itinerary of which you speak can be very, very rough nearly every day at sea. So, please, don't even consider carrying around the disabled person.

Finally, an aft cabin will be much rougher than anything midship. On cruise ships, anything way forward or way aft tends to have a lot of movement even in seas that aren't that rough.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback we have decided not to book this sailing as they do not have any accessible cabins available for the dates we want..a shame because the ship does look great..back to the drawing board !

Archived