Dream - Items Taken from Luggage

maxine10018

I hope I don't have cruisers like 90% of these people on this site or it will be a bunch of stuffy know it alls wondering around.

LOL!!!! If I did run into the stuffy know it alls....I would tip my glass and continue to have a great cruise

I hope I don't have cruisers like 90% of these people on this site or it will be a bunch of stuffy know it alls wondering around.

LOL!!!! If I did run into the stuffy know it alls....I would tip my glass and continue to have a great cruise

Lol same here I won't let anything ruin my cruise

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow,

My wife and myself are readers, on sea days and before dinner we like to find a quiet place on the ship or even the cabin to catch up on books and magazines. In the "old days" we would pack multiple books and magazines. Now, we each have a personal Nook.

I don't wear a watch, while in most cases there is clock nearby, on certain ships they not in an easy sightline. So upon boarding the ship, I put my cell phone in airplane mode and use it as a watch. At home, I don't put in airplane mode but use it as a watch.

Also I store music on my phone, and like to listen to it while reading. Mind you I love a good piano bar or a good main show onboard ship

My wife also likes audio books, she stores them on her phone

I love to take photographs during cruises using my digital camera. While the SD card can usually handle all of the photographs I take, I like to periodically back them up, especially for "bucket list" type trips. So I bring along a laptop.

If you are keeping track, we now have 5 "gadgets" that will need to be recharged that will enhance our enjoyment of the cruise and provide memories in the future.

Instead of trying to beat the safety margin in place by limiting the number of outlets in the room, try limiting the power usage by leaving home all the gadgets.

If your gadgets are something you can't live without, a cruise may not be the proper vacation for you.

I like to leave my clock plugged in all the time, and I have a tablet that needs charging quit a lot of time... Thats why I think they should allow them or put in two outlets.

Im not questioning the need.. I think they are trying to not let you use much electricty at a time.

I dont like it that I cant leave my electric clock plugged in and do something else at the same time.

Im not sure what the people questioning why people want extra plugs use .. I only want two plugs lol... thats all .. But after getting my extension cord taken, I quit taking it. It took me about 45 minutes of standing in line to get it back.

I dont think you have to be this big tech person to want TWO places to plug into at the same time. I have a kindle app on my tablet, and bring some paper backs. Last time I depended a lot more on my tablet to read books, and needed a lot more charging time.. and having a electric clock plugged in to me does not seem excessive as some people here seem to think.

(my camera uses batteries, so I dont need it for that) .. I just want two measly places to plug in at the same time.

Never needed a power strip, but I understand your need to charge various gadgets. I use a dual USB port charger, that way I can charge my iPad and iPod touch at the same time. We also can charge 2 cell phones at the same time. This won't solve your need for video equipment, clocks, etc, but it takes care of my most used and recharge demanding devices.

I hope I don't have cruisers like half of these people on this site or it will be a bunch of stuffy know it alls wondering around.

Exactly. Dontcha just hate it when the jackwagons use an internet message board to tell us how to live our lives.

Cruise ships can only generate a certain amount of power. The number of outlets in the cabins are limited so that the amount of current used per cabin can be controlled.

When power strips are used to change multiple devices, the capacity of the sysytem can be overloaded if other cabins are using power strips to charge multiple items.

The gadgets take very little power. If you want to totally ruin any electronic gadget, wire it up to your standard 110V

As a result, at high use times, when hair dryers, shavers, flat irons, TVs, radios, etc.; are in use, multiple cabins using power strips will overload the system and cause fuses to blow.

No cruise ship has fuses. No modern house wiring has fuses. Never had the power so much as blink on any of my cruises. Of course we are talking Carnival here.:rolleyes:

Instead of trying to beat the safety margin in place by limiting the number of outlets in the room, try limiting the power usage by leaving home all the gadgets.

Only if you'll pay the overweight luggage fee for the 300 or so books & magazines on our Kindles and the 20 books on cd and music on my mp3, and for one of the staff photographers to take all the pictures we want, and of course for the pictures too.

If your gadgets are something you can't live without, a cruise may not be the proper vacation for you.

I hope I don't have cruisers like half of these people on this site or it will be a bunch of stuffy know it alls wondering around.

But it's perfectly alright for YOU to pass judgement on how someone else chooses to cruise. :rolleyes:

No cruise ship has fuses. No modern house wiring has fuses. Never had the power so much as blink on any of my cruises. Of course we are talking Carnival here.:rolleyes: .

I have blown out a electric clock, I think a brown out, (power dropped) and it started to run backwards and I had to throw it away. They do not recommend electric clocks for that reason or have them in the cabins.

The electricity is not all that steady... but I am willing to take my chances. I bought a new electric clock to bring now. I dont want a battery run clock to worry about batterys.

Just as a warning to people.. the electricity is not all that steady that it didnt blow out a electric clock on me.

STOP. Is anyone else sick of everyone interjecting their this or that as fact?? More then one outlet this day and age is not a lot to ask for or dare I say need? On our last cruise on the Dream, I needed more then the one outlet. I needed it for my Ipad, Iphone, E-cig battery, my camera and my wife's camera. I use the Ipad for reading and staying in touch with my business. I use my phone on vacation because one missed call could cost me more then one cruise. I use my E-cig battery to help keep me from picking up a cancer stick. I use my camera to capture my memories on a file as does my wife. Love my vacation, but MOST of these items are a necessity.

Just because you don't want or NEED these items, does not mean that most of us in the 21st century do not rely these on items. Or at the least enjoy these items.

on the exact sailing and our strip made it safe and sound in our checked luggage. Your mileage may vary.

And for the love of Bob, if I want to plug in my iphone, ipad, kindle, nook, clock, and electronic boyfriend all at the same time it's no one's business but my own. Live and let live people. All good that Carnival would like to streamline the electrical current supply during peak times but as long as they are permitted and if a person needs/wants to charge max capacity...carpe diem:rolleyes:

We take laptop, Ipad, Iphone, cellphone, and camera that from time to time need charging. Sometimes we do this in the public areas of the ship. We have alway taken a new power strip an have never had a problem. Those who think we should not take electronics should remember the is the 21th century.

I have never had a power strip confiscated. I now use a Belkin device that has 3 receptacles and 2 USB ports as well for charging. It is very small and not much bigger than some chargers. It won't replace an extension cord but you can charge a lot of devices at the same time. I had a Motorola phone that would not charge on the USB port but my iPhone and iPad are fine. I pack it with my chafers and camera and it passes through the X-ray without a hitch.

This is one of the dumbest threads I have ever read on this forum. Waaay too many know-it-alls that think they have a right to tell other people how to enjoy their vacation. Ridiculous.

I just got off the Dream today. Security went through my luggage on day 1 and took out my rum runner. (ok that was not suppose to be there) and my power strip! They were in different suitcases. What gives? They took my power strip! Do you know how hard it is to keep our 2 iPads and cells phones charges with one little outlet.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

You broke the rules and u paid for it.

I have blown out a electric clock, I think a brown out, (power dropped) and it started to run backwards and I had to throw it away. They do not recommend electric clocks for that reason or have them in the cabins.

The electricity is not all that steady... but I am willing to take my chances. I bought a new electric clock to bring now. I dont want a battery run clock to worry about batterys.

Just as a warning to people.. the electricity is not all that steady that it didnt blow out a electric clock on me.

Exactly why you need a power strip like the Belkin KarenMF has in her post. It has a built in surge protector.

I haven't read about confiscating power strips on other lines. Is this something peculiar to Carnival?

There is NO rule against power strips. Le sigh.

At least not ones in working order.

From Carnival's site. Sound's like it's wide open to their security, wanna be's chioce. :rolleyes:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Archived