Is Maasdam as bad as some reviews suggest?

CuriousC

hi, cruiser 4801. i was on the same ft.laud to montreal cruise. and, yes, the towels are yellow and worn. the regimentation of passengers, the arbitrary closing of outside decks, the dangerous roping of escape doors, esp. on nav. deck, lackluster pinnacle grill experience, and so much more left me with a sad feeling about this voyage. the ship itself looks ok, with the absence of most fresh flowers. my cabin was generally well-kept. and the food was, well, mezza-mezza. not an awful experience, but nothing to write home about, as they say. average ship, average cruise. i have been on maasdam at least ten times, but if they sold this 'old girl' to scrap, i wouldn't cry over it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I feel reassured. Since we have no desire to sail on a floating amusement park or with thousands of our "not so closest" friends where the ship is indeed the destination, we don't mind in the least that the Maasdam is small by today's standards. In fact, that's a plus. Itinerary is always number one for us and the smaller ships seem to offer the best ones.

We have only sailed on the Maasdam one dozen times. This is where we fell in love with Holland America. We just cruised from FLL to Montreal in May 2013, and we thought the ship was just fine. I'm hoping she sticks around as long as I am able to cruise.

Two BIG Thumbs Up. :D

You may be confusing this ship with the Veendam.

Veendam is actually the newest of the four "S' sisters.

The order they joined the fleet if Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

Doc...

hi, cruiser 4801. I was on the same ft.laud to montreal cruise. and, yes, the towels are yellow and worn. The regimentation of passengers, the arbitrary closing of outside decks, the dangerous roping of escape doors, esp. on nav. deck, lackluster pinnacle grill experience, and so much more left me with a sad feeling about this voyage. (snip) If they sold this 'old girl' to scrap, i wouldn't cry over it.

WTH are you talking about? :D The towels were whiter than a toothpase comercial two weeks ago and in great shape. Pax were not regimentated 'cept for muster drill, immie check amd short-arm inspection. If weather conditions are really bad, as they could be out on the Atlantic, the outside doors would be roped off to keep pax from becoming fish food :cool: and this old girl has aged like good wine. Some wines turn to vinegar :eek: but others keep their aroma and taste.

My most humble opinion, as always.

For those that have not yet seen it, here is a link to the review that refers to the Maasdam as a "worn-out tug" and her rooms as "Motel-6 shabby".

We have not yet sailed on the Maasdam, but we do have a Maasdam cruise booked in August and are very much looking forward to it. I must say this review struck me as quite bizarre.

Regards,

John.

h

as they say. average ship, average cruise. i have been on maasdam at least ten times, but if they sold this 'old girl' to scrap, i wouldn't cry over it.

I may get flamed for this, but c'est la vie:eek:

there is nothing average about the Maasdam .. she is lovingly cared for, spotlessly maintained with an excellent crew and receives high scores on each inspection

won't even comment on the suggestion "the old girl" be sold for scrap:eek: if I wrote what I felt, I'd probably be "boiled in oil"

what disturbs me the most about the post (other than inaccuracies which have clarified by other posters) is the insensitivity shown

there are those who sail on a ship and look at her as "steel, bolts, glass, pipes and wood" .. those same persons also look at the crew in a cold and very often callous manner

then there are those who sail a ship and see her as an "a lady with a soul", with her crew part of that ..

Maasdam has a wonderful soul, a unique crew and a adoring alumni!

may she continue to grace the seven seas for many more years

For those that have not yet seen it, here is a link to the review that refers to the Maasdam as a "worn-out tug" and her rooms as "Motel-6 shabby".

We have not yet sailed on the Maasdam, but we do have a Maasdam cruise booked in August and are very much looking forward to it. I must say this review struck me as quite bizarre.

Regards,

John.

I couldn't find any evidence this person has posted anything other than this review on CC.

there is nothing average about the Maasdam .. she is lovingly cared for, spotlessly maintained with an excellent crew and receives high scores on each inspection

won't even comment on the suggestion "the old girl" be sold for scrap:eek: if I wrote what I felt, I'd probably be "boiled in oil"

what disturbs me the most about the post (other than inaccuracies which have clarified by other posters) is the insensitivity shown

there are those who sail on a ship and look at her as "steel, bolts, glass, pipes and wood" .. those same persons also look at the crew in a cold and very often callous manner

then there are those who sail a ship and see her as an "a lady with a soul", with her crew part of that ..

Perfect post!

I may get flamed for this, but c'est la vie:eek: Why would anyone flame you for such a great post?

won't even comment on the suggestion "the old girl" be sold for scrap:eek: if I wrote what I felt, I'd probably be "boiled in oil" Don't Even THINK it!!!

(my comments in bold above)

Here, here.......!!!!

When we board Maasdam, I watch my DH's shoulders visibly go from uptight and tense to relaxed and softened.

Maasdam 'speaks' to us and we always seek her welcoming message.

Though some of her crew come and go enough are always at the core that her crew shines. They live and work on Maasdam with such pride..... it shows.

Our second cruise on Maasdam was 42 days in Oct./Nov. 2012. No complaints at all about ship or crew. If there was any thing wrong, it was to minor for me to notice or mention. I tend to look for positive on any vacation, if there is a negative and there has been in the past, and will no doubt be again in the future, so I wll look a little to the left or right and I see every thing is just fine and as it shoud be.

IMOP I think any thing wrong on a HAL ship, minor or serious depending on severity, will be taken care of in a timely manner. Keep in mind you may be in the middle of the ocean.

Go and enjoy your cruise, DW and I are next on sister ship Ryndam

21 days coming Nov./Dec. 2013.:cool:

What a wonderful post. We sailed Maasdam in April of this year and thought she was still in great shape. She's a special ship, and I would pick her now over any of the other ships. I hope she hangs on a long long time.

What a wonderful post. We sailed Maasdam in April of this year and thought she was still in great shape. She's a special ship, and I would pick her now over any of the other ships. I hope she hangs on a long long time.

Yep! And as soon as we know the cost of another cruise is in the bank, we will be booking another two weeks aboard the Beautiful and Elegant Maasdam.

I'm on her right now and she is a lovely ship with a great crew. There may be a few areas which need maintenance but otherwise she has to be one of my favourites so far and this is my 7th HAL cruise and my 28th in total.

We were on the Maasdam for 15 days in May, traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal and experienced an 'Excellent' journey. The Maasdam is a fabulous ship. Oh, the weather did not always cooperate, but you made the best of it, the passengers safety was always a priority, high seas and extreme wind conditions resulted in outsides decks (Lower Promenade and the Seaview Bar area) being closed, this was for safety reasons, only complaints were from the smokers. The Maasdam is impeccably clean, the entertainment was also pleasing, especially in the Mix lounge, the Rotterdam Dining Room was excellent and the food as well. The staff from the Front Desk to the Service Staff is efficient and friendly, You will not here any complaint from Us. As a matter of fact, we are looking forward to sailing the Maasdam again, especially to Montreal, my new favorite city, even though my French is very minimal.

Archived