Food Must Haves on all the islands?

emuangel

Will be on the POA Aug 3-10 with my DH. Will be spending 1 day prior to the cruise in Waikiki and 1.5 days after in Waikiki.

I want to make sure we have the food must-haves of the island so please give recommendations on your favorite restaurants/snack stops/shaved ice places.

Oahu

- 1 dinner (we will be going to a luau for the other dinner)

- 3 lunches

- 2 breakfasts

- lots of snacks :)

Maui

- anything

will be driving West and Central Maui

Kona

- breakfast

- lunch

- snacks

We are just planning on walking around town after taking the tender in so places we can walk to please.

Kauai

- breakfast

- lunch

- dinner

- snacks

We are taking an excursion one day and planning on just walking around town the other day so places we can walk to please.

Thank you for all suggestions!

Oahu: Diamond Head Market for one lunch and pick up some of their yummy cream cheese scones (the cream cheese is a filling in the scones). Lots of flavors of scones. I had a blueberry one for breakfast and a banana one later in the day for a snack. The have a website you can look at: just remove the spaces between "diamond head market", add the .com and you'll find the daily scone list, dinner and lunch plate menus, bakery items. If you're staying in Waikiki and want a nice walk, you can walk up to it from the beach, up Monserrat past the Zoo. I started at Hilton Hawaiian Village for my walk, so I think I earned my scone :D

Oahu: Diamond Head Market for one lunch and pick up some of their yummy cream cheese scones (the cream cheese is a filling in the scones). Lots of flavors of scones. I had a blueberry one for breakfast and a banana one later in the day for a snack. The have a website you can look at: just remove the spaces between "diamond head market", add the .com and you'll find the daily scone list, dinner and lunch plate menus, bakery items. If you're staying in Waikiki and want a nice walk, you can walk up to it from the beach, up Monserrat past the Zoo. I started at Hilton Hawaiian Village for my walk, so I think I earned my scone :D

Oh, yes...Diamond Head Market scones....so good, and SO BIG! Also try the teriyaki chicken burger at the takeout end of the market...really tasty.

Just checked out the Diamond Head Market website. That's a definite to add to the trip. It never ceases to amaze me that even after months of researching and net surfing I'm still finding new places to visit and things to experience for our trip. Thanks

Be sure to have a Mai Tai at the Kona Inn which is just a short stroll from the tender pier in Kona. A seat at the bar gives you a great view of your ship in the water. These are some of the best Mai Tai's anywhere!

Kona is a very easy place to just walk around. Don't miss the Farmers Market for fruit and flowers, Kona Inn for Mai Tai's, Canoe Club (in Kona Inn complex) for lunchtime sandwiches and salads with a great breeze and view of your ship, or the Kona Brewery for pizza, salads, and great brews. Other choices are the Fish Hopper or Splasher's, both right across from the end of the pier. The Scandinavian Shave Ice shop always gets rave reviews. Except for the Kona Brewery, everyplace is within a few blocks of the pier; the brewery is a little further, but less than half a mile. If you had a car, I'd recommend heading a little further north and visiting the Kailua Candy Company (their chocolate covered ginger is sublime and addictive!) or a little inland to visit the coffee farms and sample genuine 100% Kona coffee.

Edited by Kartgv

Oahu: Dukes and/or Roy's (Roy's doesn't do a traditional lunch menu and had tapas instead).

Maui: Get some Mac Nut Brittle as a snack.

Kona: Kona Brewing Company for pizza & other goodies.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Yes, I did like Duke's for Happy Hour. I always sat at the bar - friendliest barmen around. Decent bar food menu, also. The grilled fish tacos were tasty enough that I came back twice for them.

If you need another lunch or dinner in Honolulu, try the Marukame Udon on Kuhio Ave, right behind the International Marketplace (use Duke's Lane to get there). Amazingly good udon noodles bowls (FRESH, handmade on premesis noodles) and tempuras at a CHEAP price. I ate dinner there a few times and came out around $9 each time. That one doesn't have a website, but go hit up Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc, for all the good comments.

If your roamings take you to the North Shore, be sure to stop at one of the Shrimp Trucks and grab some Garlic Shrimp. Everyone has a favorite, so recommending one just doesn't seem right (Giovanni's ;) ).

The Kona Inn in Kona, definitely. I get an order of poke to go with my Mai Tai :) My favorite dinner stop unfortunately isn't around anymore - Sibu. A tiny hole-in the-wall place in the Banyon Tree strip mall across from the seawall. Indonesian food, amazingly good. I do miss it. BUT, apparently the chef from Sibu has his own restaurant there in the same spot, Rapanui. It gets good reviews on TA, too. It's open for lunch and dinner. Anyone go there??? I'd be interested in hearing about it.

slidergirl.....we go to Rapanui every time we go over to Kona. Probably my favorite restaurant on the island. I am not sure they are opened for lunch anymore...maybe only on select days. The few times we have tried for lunch they have been closed. But that's OK...we just come back for dinner. The menu is quite similar to Sibu (although Sibu is becoming a very distant memory.) They describe it as New Zealand-Indonesian fusion or something like that. I enjoy the steak and chicken dishes (paw paw?) and my husband usually opts for a curry or the sate three ways. The house fried rice is still absolutely delicious. They have a limited wine and beer menu. It is still the same funky restaurant with about 6 tables at the end of the alley....perfect!! Unfortunately, not a good option for cruise passengers as they have to back onboard by dinner time.

Not sure what type of food or atmosphere that you enjoy but if you want to join kama'aina for great plate lunches then "Da Kitchen" offers da most Ono-licious ones. Great island-style casual food (teriyaki beef/chicken, kalua pork, etc.) with large portions and they have a table service location near Kahului airport & an order at the counter to eat at tables inside in Kihei.

You may have to wait to be seated in Kahului with all of the locals patiently waiting to be seated for their ono-licious island-grindz. :D

http://www.da-kitchen.com/mobile/index.html#home

Edited by Astro Flyer

In Kauai, i love Pono Market, Fish Express, Hamura Saimen (hawaiian style ramen and the best lillikoi chiffon pie), Koloa Fish Market, Mark's Place, Halo Halo shaved ice

In Maui, I love Eskimo Candy in Kihei, ululani's shaved ice in downtown lahaina, da kitchen in Kahului, brunch at kaanapali beach hotel, star noodle in lahaina

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

slidergirl.....we go to Rapanui every time we go over to Kona. Probably my favorite restaurant on the island. I am not sure they are opened for lunch anymore...maybe only on select days. The few times we have tried for lunch they have been closed. But that's OK...we just come back for dinner. The menu is quite similar to Sibu (although Sibu is becoming a very distant memory.) They describe it as New Zealand-Indonesian fusion or something like that. I enjoy the steak and chicken dishes (paw paw?) and my husband usually opts for a curry or the sate three ways. The house fried rice is still absolutely delicious. They have a limited wine and beer menu. It is still the same funky restaurant with about 6 tables at the end of the alley....perfect!! Unfortunately, not a good option for cruise passengers as they have to back onboard by dinner time.

Kapoho2, thanks for the good word on Rapanui. I'm glad Sibu lives on in a little way at least. Too bad that it's not open for lunch. It was definitely one of those places that one wouldn't normally wander into unless someone told you it had good food! I just hate it when I hear that people travel all that way to Hawaii, only to eat at the cheesy national chains - Bubba Gump, Cheesecake Factory, Hamburger in Paradise. I really want everyone to help out to get people to "eat local"!!! To me, that is part of exploring where I am visiting.

Edited by slidergirl

Oahu:

Diamond Head Market - Lemon Crunch Cake

Waiola Shave Ice (McCully or Kapahulu) best on the island

Leonards Bakery for Malasadas (Portuguese donuts)

Zippy's (local hangout)

Rainbow Drive Inn (Kapahulu)

L & L Plate lunch (inside Walmart and various other locations)

Alan Wong's (where President Obama always dines)

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Haleiwa or Kahuku

Nico's at pier 39 (Furikake seared Ahi fresh off the boat

Cafe Kaila (Foodland Market Place) for fabulous Belgium waffles

Side Street Inn - Kapahulu (family style dinners) / original location is where the chefs ate after their shift.

Maui:

Guri Guri Ice Cream (Maui Mall)

Greasy Maui Potato Chips

Maui Manju (Japanese baked goodie)

Hilo:

Two Sister's Mochi (Hilo Town)

Nori's Japanese Restaurant

Big Island Candies

Hidden across the street from Rainbow Falls is Rainbow Lavosh. Glazed Lavosh. A little hard to find.

Lots, lots more...it would help if you narrowed down your likes.

Displaced Local Girl

Oahu:

Diamond Head Market - Lemon Crunch Cake

Waiola Shave Ice (McCully or Kapahulu) best on the island

Leonards Bakery for Malasadas (Portuguese donuts)

Zippy's (local hangout)

Rainbow Drive Inn (Kapahulu)

L & L Plate lunch (inside Walmart and various other locations)

Alan Wong's (where President Obama always dines)

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Haleiwa or Kahuku

Nico's at pier 39 (Furikake seared Ahi fresh off the boat

Cafe Kaila (Foodland Market Place) for fabulous Belgium waffles

Side Street Inn - Kapahulu (family style dinners) / original location is where the chefs ate after their shift.

Maui:

Guri Guri Ice Cream (Maui Mall)

Greasy Maui Potato Chips

Maui Manju (Japanese baked goodie)

Hilo:

Two Sister's Mochi (Hilo Town)

Nori's Japanese Restaurant

Big Island Candies

Hidden across the street from Rainbow Falls is Rainbow Lavosh. Glazed Lavosh. A little hard to find.

Lots, lots more...it would help if you narrowed down your likes.

Displaced Local Girl

You're making me hungry and missing home!! Rainbows, Zippy's and Leonards (malasadas and pork hash). Brok da mout! :)

For Maui - A few months back Sunset Magazine had an article called "Edible Maui" that should have good information for you. I think it was the February 2013 issue. You should be able to access it online.

Nico's and Uncle's (across the street from Nico's) are both good places to hit up for a bite before you go to HNL for the trip home. Airport offerings are pretty meager.

The garlic ahi at Uncle's was excellent. It wasn't an overpowering garlic taste - the ahi was still the primary flavor. I had the seared ahi poke at Nico's. Not bad, but once I added a little heat to it, it got better.

You're making me hungry and missing home!! Rainbows, Zippy's and Leonards (malasadas and pork hash). Brok da mout! :)

I am usually "home" for 5 to 8 weeks at a time. I know it is time to leave when I start eating at the same place twice (except for Waiola Shave Ice).

I will be happy to "eat" whatever you are missing and maybe you will savor the moment.

I should add W & M hamburgers near Chaminade College in Kaimuki. Oh, Kim Chee II in the same neighborhood for Korean Kalbi Ribs.

Now if you want something more upscale...Halekulani Sunday Brunch. If you want to flavor Hawaiian food without going to a Luau try Helena's, Willows, or Ono's.

I am usually "home" for 5 to 8 weeks at a time. I know it is time to leave when I start eating at the same place twice (except for Waiola Shave Ice).

I will be happy to "eat" whatever you are missing and maybe you will savor the moment.

I should add W & M hamburgers near Chaminade College in Kaimuki. Oh, Kim Chee II in the same neighborhood for Korean Kalbi Ribs.

Now if you want something more upscale...Halekulani Sunday Brunch. If you want to flavor Hawaiian food without going to a Luau try Helena's, Willows, or Ono's.

Oooh!!! Kimchee fried rice from Big City Diners, a Kua Aina burger, anything from Like Like Drive Inn, a mixed plate from Rainbows, and a Zippac. Thanks Eh!! :)

Oooh!!! Kimchee fried rice from Big City Diners, a Kua Aina burger, anything from Like Like Drive Inn, a mixed plate from Rainbows, and a Zippac. Thanks Eh!! :)

We hang out at the same places. Someday, we will run into each other (knowingly or not). Had a great Mahi Mahi sandwich at Kua Aina on Tuesday night. Last week, I had my usual Beef Cutlet at LikeLike with a slice of banana pie to go. Prices are up ($16.00 but you still get soup and salad, drink, and dessert). I hit Big City Diner on last Thursday night...side calamari and Cesar salad.

Hit Liliha Bakery twice already. One of these days, I am going to have to eat at the counter there.

• 4 months later...