A "Royal" letdown!

BarbaraB2

All this talk about small balconies reminded me of how spoiled we have been. Sounds like the balconies are roughly the same size as on the Sun Class (balconies' date=' not minis or suites). Anybody who's seen both - does that spun abt right?? Advantage here though with glass railing rather than steel.

[/quote']

Which is interesting because the Sun Class balconies were about the same size as Crown 1 and Regal 1 - so Regal 2 will be reverting to Regal 1 when it comes to balcony size - now that's an evolutionary ship!!

Probably not, generally the designs are driven by polls and customer driven data. If the Royal turns out to be bust, it will likely point to the design group. But who knows, the data may be showing something we experts aren't seeing. I hope so, the only reason we aren't cancelling our October cruise on Royal is because we are meeting a large group.

Theresa Anderson heads the design team and has since the Sun Class came on line in the mid-90s. I don't know that issues with Royal Princess can be pointed to the design team. I personally think that some of the design and finish of the ship is brilliant. But it seems like the executives at Princess decided to build a ship that maximizes revenue and then the design team had to do what they could. I think the shortcomings of Royal Princess - the balcony size, the lack of an exterior promenade, the mid-ship stair case, the lack of steam and sauna in the gym changing areas, etc., etc. are not design decisions, but conscious decisions by executives who want to maximize revenue - and have no business designing ships.

Usually the midship cabins are the priciest with the aft and bow being the cheapest.

On the royal, with no midship staircase, and the resulting long walk to either aft or bow to reach a staircase, i wonder if the pricing on the royal ( and regal) will be different. Ie why pay top buck for midship when you have to schlep back and forth along the halls to reach stairs?

Just asking....

When I heard about the Royal I knew she was a ship I would not be sailing on - I am a fan of the small ships - build more of those! The size limits the unique ports that the ship can pull in to.

With that said, I don't mind the openness of the Dolphin Deck - however, it's not like the entire ship is traipsing by you and looking in. There is only a certain number of cabins that have a view and, like others have noted, many who get a balcony cabin spend very little time actually enjoying the balcony.

OP, hope you are able to get another cabin that has a less intrusive sight-line.

Another "surprise" design feature from another thread:

Families should also note that the children's bunk beds were pulled down from the ceiling each night.

However in a standard balcony this meant neither the top or bottom bunk could properly see the tv screen and the ladder obstructed the corridor to the bathroom.

This is the situation in the current ship's cabins that can hold four passengers... We had a Caribe quad balcony cabin on the Caribbean Princess a couple of years ago and when the bunks were pulled down, they obstructed the view to the TV and we had to be creative on positioning the ladders... :)

When I heard about the Royal I knew she was a ship I would not be sailing on - I am a fan of the small ships - build more of those! The size limits the unique ports that the ship can pull in to.

With that said, I don't mind the openness of the Dolphin Deck - however, it's not like the entire ship is traipsing by you and looking in. There is only a certain number of cabins that have a view and, like others have noted, many who get a balcony cabin spend very little time actually enjoying the balcony.

OP, hope you are able to get another cabin that has a less intrusive sight-line.

Not gonna happen. The luxury lines can afford to spend the capital on smaller ships because their fares are so much higher than the mainstream lines. The only reason why Princess has the two smaller ships is that they were purchased at "fire-sale" prices when Renaissance went belly up in 2001...

I think the shortcomings of Royal Princess - the balcony size, the lack of an exterior promenade, the mid-ship stair case, the lack of steam and sauna in the gym changing areas, etc., etc. are not design decisions, but conscious decisions by executives who want to maximize revenue - and have no business designing ships.

I hate to tell you but maximizing revenue is the number one driving force behind any ship design, saying it shouldn't be is laughable.

I hate to tell you but maximizing revenue is the number one driving force behind any ship design, saying it shouldn't be is laughable.

Saying it should be the only driving force is what's laughable. I don't think Princess would be laughing too hard if week after week, the Royal sails out at less than full capacity because people choose other ships with the design elements she lacks.

One reason it will sail with less then full capacity is that Princess pricing is high. Once the cost of a cabin comes down after the ship has been out for a while I'm sure guests will jump at the chance to cruise a newer ship. JMHO

Saying it should be the only driving force is what's laughable. I don't think Princess would be laughing too hard if week after week, the Royal sails out at less than full capacity because people choose other ships with the design elements she lacks.

Right... there has to be some compromise between desirable features and revenue-generators... what will happen with the Royal remains to be seen. I, for one, am looking forward to our New Year's cruise on her even though we have an obstructed balcony on Emerald deck...

One reason it will sail with less then full capacity is that Princess pricing is high. Once the cost of a cabin comes down after the ship has been out for a while I'm sure guests will jump at the chance to cruise a newer ship. JMHO

I don't disagree with you; I'm sure fares will drop from her inaugural season. But since you mentioned fares . . . . this is supporting my point above: there are some of us who probably will never sail her because, to maximize revenue, they removed all the oceanview cabins. This means that the Royal will never be a cost-effective choice for me and others like me, who only book window cabins. So the quest to enhance revenue has already driven away some (a minority, to be sure) cruisers.

It's probably just me but none of these nit picky things would deter me from going on the Royal. I now have 2 cruises booked on this ship, mainly because itineraries, and can't wait to get on the ship, any ship!! I think there are positives and negatives on all the Princess ships but it doesn't stop me from cruising on any ship. :)

I agree completely. Cannot wait to board the new ship. Negative Nellie's certainly are entitled to their own opinion. I will board the ship planning to enjoy every minute of my cruise. I'm sure there will be things I may not be crazy about, but I know my spirits won't be dampened by a few things that could be better. And, I'm sure for me, the positives will outweigh the negatives. My opinions will definitely not be formed until I see everything for myself. :p

I don't disagree with you; I'm sure fares will drop from her inaugural season. But since you mentioned fares . . . . this is supporting my point above: there are some of us who probably will never sail her because, to maximize revenue, they removed all the oceanview cabins. This means that the Royal will never be a cost-effective choice for me and others like me, who only book window cabins. So the quest to enhance revenue has already driven away some (a minority, to be sure) cruisers.

Maybe so, but the cost of the obstructed view balconies on the Royal are priced somewhat like oceanview cabins on the Grand-class... If you could have a balcony on the Royal (albeit obstructed) for the same price as an oceanview on another ship, would you sail then?

After booking the Maiden Transatlantic cruise on the first day it was available, more than a year ago, we are so disappointed with many features of the new ship that we may decide to cancel. What a letdown! We are 'seasoned' cruisers and were looking forward to the newest ship on our favorite cruiseline but there are so many things we are disappointed with that we may have to pass on this one.

For starters, with the help of our agent who painstakingly chose what we all thought was a premier mid ship, mini cabin, A427, with an extended balcony, it turns out it's in full view of anyone walking over us on the Skywalk! Not something we want to put up with on on an 18 day cruise!

On our last Ruby transatlantic we found several lovely quiet reading areas for those long days at sea including our private spacious balcony. Another of our favorite, The Wheelhouse Bar, is no longer there. We also enjoyed the Aft Pool where we sat for hours to read, relax, and enjoy the seaview, and now that's gone too.

Yes, the Atrium and the ship look gorgeous but is it enough? I have not yet pulled the plug and hope that someone onboard can share their insight and give us reason not to abandon ship.:confused:

Wow I think the new additions are great! The Skywalk is what I am looking forward to. I don't think people will stand on the skywalk and stare at people on the balcony. I would think most would look at the ocean.

Maybe so, but the cost of the obstructed view balconies on the Royal are priced somewhat like oceanview cabins on the Grand-class... If you could have a balcony on the Royal (albeit obstructed) for the same price as an oceanview on another ship, would you sail then?

Well, of course. But they aren't priced "somewhat like" the obstructed oceanview cabins on the other ships. Not at all. Maybe they will be eventually, but even with an obstructed view, they're still balcony cabins. They're always going to be priced higher than oceanviews.

Who said only?

Right... there has to be some compromise between desirable features and revenue-generators... what will happen with the Royal remains to be seen. I, for one, am looking forward to our New Year's cruise on her even though we have an obstructed balcony on Emerald deck...

Exactly and that's part of the maximization process. Only time will tell.

Yes I guess they nixed the concept and have a single piano in Crooner's that is painted with art by Godard.

Too bad. I have been to dueling piano shows and they are a lot of fun. IMHO, they blew a great opportunity on this one. I have to think they decided to cut the idea when they realized they would have to employ an extra piano player. Oh well, maybe another cruise line will see this as an opportunity to be the first to introduce this at sea.

There would be no need to draw the curtains during the daytime as the glass reflection from the angle of view from "Sea walkers" would make it impossible to see in. Only at night when cabin lights are on would anyone be able to see in.

I've seen pictures already where it was daytime and I could see the curtains in the windows of cabins on Aloha and Baja.

Which is interesting because the Sun Class balconies were about the same size as Crown 1 and Regal 1 - so Regal 2 will be reverting to Regal 1 when it comes to balcony size - now that's an evolutionary ship!!

Theresa Anderson heads the design team and has since the Sun Class came on line in the mid-90s. I don't know that issues with Royal Princess can be pointed to the design team. I personally think that some of the design and finish of the ship is brilliant. But it seems like the executives at Princess decided to build a ship that maximizes revenue and then the design team had to do what they could. I think the shortcomings of Royal Princess - the balcony size, the lack of an exterior promenade, the mid-ship stair case, the lack of steam and sauna in the gym changing areas, etc., etc. are not design decisions, but conscious decisions by executives who want to maximize revenue - and have no business designing ships.

Theresa Anderson heads the INTERIOR design team and is (deservedly) reaping praise for the beautiful classy Royal interiors. She works within the framework provided by Giacomo Mortola, the Italian designer responsible for the Grand Class among others. He designed the ship but of course his designs have to be approved and signed off on by the Executives at Princess (and perhaps Carnival Corp. too). I am sure he would have loved to build "the biggest balconies at sea", complete with fountains and a built in pizza-oven but as you suggest the Executives have other ideas.

The balconies look big enough for two people-only just-but part of the fun of being at sea is inviting new found friends (some of whom may not have a balcony) up for a few glasses of wine in the fresh air. Maybe order in some munchies from room service and enjoy the one major thing a cruise ship has over any land resort-the ability to glide swiftly through tropical waters to visit somewhere new.

The first ship that installed balcony cabins hit upon something big and thereafter cruise ships came with balconies-not all in a rush, but gradually. Cruise passengers surely need to see the sea (not just through a window or a porthole), otherwise why are they on a ship in the first place?

There's a romance to watching a sunset together as it sets over a shimmering sea, of seeing dolphins ride the bow-wave and seeing a whale come up for air.

These things that happen at sea you'll remember more than the fruit and veg carving in the Piazza, brilliant though it is.

I walk the Promenade deck-all the way around the ship on a Grand Class and am alone with my thoughts and always reminded how huge the Earth is for often there is no land in sight. I walk freely-not like a prisoner out walking in the yard, back and forth on a small space (like the Royal).

I certainly plan to sail on the Royal at some point, if the itinerary is compelling.

I was prepared to sail on her regardless of itinerary and had a booking...but the Promenade deck issue and the wide open MUTS deck, lack of an aft pool and zero shade on some of the aft suites made me think again and cancel the Royal for next January in favor of the Caribbean Princess which has a lot of what I like about a cruise ship and an itinerary that will offer some new ports for me.

I think that the Royal is one of the finest looking ships at sea but she's far from a home run from where I sit. "The proof of the pudding..." an old British saying.

I hope to stand corrected at some point in the future. Nice try , though!

Norris

Given the fact that the original Royal Princess was the first vessel to offer verandas and also offer all outside cabins, the 2013 re-incarnation of Royal Princess is a disgrace to the name "Royal Princess" when it comes to those same amenities.

Princess opted for "WOW". Public rooms that look outstanding; a ship's horn that reminds us of the Love Boat by its theme when the Captain chooses to push the button. But, someone forgot about the guest and the desires of the guest.

I cannot tell you how much I am disappointed by the size of those verandas! Even the mini-suites are the same tiny size!

After two wonderful original Royal Princess sailings, I was looking forward for one on the new vessel. Unless the prices are in the "giveaway" range--which may happen--, it is not going to happen.

As far as I am concerned, some people at Princess Headquarters need to be fired! The wonderful e-mail sent videos were teases to make us want to sail on a ship that now seems to be guest veranda purchased unfriendly.

Time for me to write a letter to Princess with a cc: to the Lead Director of Carnival Corporation.

Something is terribly amiss!

In response to Bimmer09....I share your sentiments. I love to walk and walk and walk on the promenade deck in the early morning. I also enjoy sitting on the promenade deck in the afternoon and just staring out at the sea. I also love to sit out on our balcony and just enjoy my pre dinner glass of wine with my dh. These spaces are important to me. I also will miss the aft pool where I spent many a lovely afternoon. We are sailing on the Royal in February and I am looking forward to it. I will hold my judgement till I spend some time on board but I'm sure I will miss my favorite features.

I cannot tell you how much I am disappointed by the size of those verandas! Even the mini-suites are the same tiny size!

After two wonderful original Royal Princess sailings, I was looking forward for one on the new vessel. Unless the prices are in the "giveaway" range--which may happen--, it is not going to happen.

As far as I am concerned, some people at Princess Headquarters need to be fired! The wonderful e-mail sent videos were teases to make us want to sail on a ship that now seems to be guest veranda purchased unfriendly.

Time for me to write a letter to Princess with a cc: to the Lead Director of Carnival Corporation.

Something is terribly amiss!

I hate to say it but I cannot agree more.

Add the elimination of a beautiful front observation deck.

As far as "I will hold my judgement till I spend some time on board"....

I spend my time on board enjoying things that now are gone. This is why I cruise.

I like Princess fine cuisine and theatre shows but this is not what I cruise for.

Why should I "hold my judgement till.." if it's pretty obvious that I have amost nothing to do on this ship?

And it was clear long before the first "actual cruisers" reported on the balconies, central staircase...

OMG, what happened to Princess?

Archived