A "Royal" letdown!

BarbaraB2

I hate to tell you but maximizing revenue is the number one driving force behind any ship design, saying it shouldn't be is laughable.

I get it - revenue generation keeps the stockholders happy and the executives rich in bonuses but there's only so much sacrifice of quality for the sake of revenue that can be tolerated before the product degrades. There is still an audience for quality and that audience will pay for it.

Princess should have more closely copied the solstice class....

Really??

We were on the first Equinox TA, in an aft corner suite, which we loved. However, we did not like the ship in general, and we will not return to the Celebrity S class. We are booked on M class Infinity in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to the lovely, large, corner aft cabin/balcony, etc.

We were able to snag an aft corner S2 suite on the Royal for the first TA. We splurged on this suite, but we will not return to this class of ship in future, now that we know that all other balconies are tiny. This suite is a once only experience. Our balcony, on Emerald deck, is one of the smaller ones, but we will make do:)

From what I am reading, the Royal is TOO much like the S class Celebrity ships :(

Some CC'rs talk about cruising itself being the most important thing on any ship. However, there is a small segment of cruisers, like us, who are very particular in cabin choice, balcony size, location on ship etc.

Hopefully, the masses will love the new Royal class, with the tiny balconies, and leave the larger cabins and balconies on the other Princess ships to the rest of us.

Theresa Anderson heads the INTERIOR design team and is (deservedly) reaping praise for the beautiful classy Royal interiors. She works within the framework provided by Giacomo Mortola, the Italian designer responsible for the Grand Class among others. He designed the ship but of course his designs have to be approved and signed off on by the Executives at Princess (and perhaps Carnival Corp. too). I am sure he would have loved to build "the biggest balconies at sea", complete with fountains and a built in pizza-oven but as you suggest the Executives have other ideas.

Nice post - thanks for that. Gives me a better perspective of the design efforts around a new ship. Mortola of course has been lauded for the Grand Class. And you're right, the history of Princess ships have looked outside to the sea. I remember the interior Promenade Deck on Regal Princess with the huge windows along the halls from which you could view the sea even in the Adagio and Bengal lounges. It just seems that Royal Princess is turning inward to revenue generators. Maybe this is what Princess has to do to keep up with the rest of the industry, but it's disappointing that some of the amenities that gave the cruise line its signature have been lost on the new breed of ship.

It just seems that Royal Princess is turning inward to revenue generators. Maybe this is what Princess has to do to keep up with the rest of the industry, but it's disappointing that some of the amenities that gave the cruise line its signature have been lost on the new breed of ship.

Perfectly stated. From what I have read (both pro and con) totally agree with your observations. While some go on and on about how they will enjoy the cruise they've booked on Royal Princess in spite of some of the shortcomings that have been listed in numerous threads, based upon what we've seen, read and heard, would rather spend our hard earned dollars used for travel elsewhere.

Usually the midship cabins are the priciest with the aft and bow being the cheapest.

On the royal, with no midship staircase, and the resulting long walk to either aft or bow to reach a staircase, i wonder if the pricing on the royal ( and regal) will be different. Ie why pay top buck for midship when you have to schlep back and forth along the halls to reach stairs?

Just asking....

I had a midship location booked on the Baja deck before I canceled. Two rooms away from the lifts. I never noticed the lack of a midship staircase. Now if I ever book this ship I know to book forward or aft. If everyone thinks this way then perhaps the price structure will change for these new ships. The only reason I book midship is for the convenience of being able to get to any part of the ship without having to wait for a lift.

[quote name='WarEagle76']Perfectly stated. From what I have read (both pro and con) totally agree with your observations. While some go on and on about how they will enjoy the cruise they've booked on Royal Princess in spite of some of the shortcomings that have been listed in numerous threads, based upon what we've seen, read and heard, would rather spend our hard earned dollars used for travel elsewhere.[/quote]
I turely believe that those who state that they will enjoy the cruise that they booked on the Royal will enjoy it. Most of the short comings aren't deal breakers for them. The new design is clearly created to make money. I would almost swear that they purposely ordered the most uncomfortable balcony furniture for all ships and made the balconies smaller on the new ships so that passenger wouldn't get too comfortable and spend so much time in their room and more time spending money on the ship. I am curious to know how those cabanas are selling. When I saw the prices list in an article my jaw dropped. I think they quoted a price of $3000 for the cabana with the sofa and TV in the Sanctuary. Honestly I would rather book a luxury line than shell out that kind of money to spend a sea day as an over priced couch potato. I am also wondering if MUTS is going to be over powering at the pool. We sail Caribbean itineraries and spend a lot of time at the pool. Now that Princess has a limited 3 ports of call in the Caribbean one being Princess Cay that would be 4 sea days for me since I would stay on the ship at Princess Cay. It would be a miserable week if I had to sit at the pool with MUTS playing loudly the way it does on the other ships.

[quote name='Bimmer09']Theresa Anderson heads the INTERIOR design team and is (deservedly) reaping praise for the beautiful classy Royal interiors. She works within the framework provided by Giacomo Mortola, the Italian designer responsible for the Grand Class among others. He designed the ship but of course his designs have to be approved and signed off on by the Executives at Princess (and perhaps Carnival Corp. too). I am sure he would have loved to build "the biggest balconies at sea", complete with fountains and a built in pizza-oven but as you suggest the Executives have other ideas.

The balconies look big enough for two people-only just-but part of the fun of being at sea is inviting new found friends (some of whom may not have a balcony) up for a few glasses of wine in the fresh air. Maybe order in some munchies from room service and enjoy the one major thing a cruise ship has over any land resort-the ability to glide swiftly through tropical waters to visit somewhere new.

The first ship that installed balcony cabins hit upon something big and thereafter cruise ships came with balconies-not all in a rush, but gradually. Cruise passengers surely need to see the sea (not just through a window or a porthole), otherwise why are they on a ship in the first place?

There's a romance to watching a sunset together as it sets over a shimmering sea, of seeing dolphins ride the bow-wave and seeing a whale come up for air.
These things that happen at sea you'll remember more than the fruit and veg carving in the Piazza, brilliant though it is.

I walk the Promenade deck-all the way around the ship on a Grand Class and am alone with my thoughts and always reminded how huge the Earth is for often there is no land in sight. I walk freely-not like a prisoner out walking in the yard, back and forth on a small space (like the Royal).

I certainly plan to sail on the Royal at some point, if the itinerary is compelling.

I was prepared to sail on her regardless of itinerary and had a booking...but the Promenade deck issue and the wide open MUTS deck, lack of an aft pool and zero shade on some of the aft suites made me think again and cancel the Royal for next January in favor of the Caribbean Princess which has a lot of what I like about a cruise ship and an itinerary that will offer some new ports for me.

I think that the Royal is one of the finest looking ships at sea but she's far from a home run from where I sit. "The proof of the pudding..." an old British saying.

I hope to stand corrected at some point in the future. Nice try , though!

Norris[/quote]

I like your post Norris:D

Hugh:rolleyes:

[quote name='Iamcruzin']I turely believe that those who state that they will enjoy the cruise that they booked on the Royal will enjoy it. Most of the short comings aren't deal breakers for them. The new design is clearly created to make money. I would almost swear that they purposely ordered the most uncomfortable balcony furniture for all ships and made the balconies smaller on the new ships so that passenger wouldn't get too comfortable and spend so much time in their room and more time spending money on the ship. I am curious to know how those cabanas are selling. When I saw the prices list in an article my jaw dropped. I think they quoted a price of $3000 for the cabana with the sofa and TV in the Sanctuary. Honestly I would rather book a luxury line than shell out that kind of money to spend a sea day as an over priced couch potato. I am also wondering if MUTS is going to be over powering at the pool. We sail Caribbean itineraries and spend a lot of time at the pool. Now that Princess has a limited 3 ports of call in the Caribbean one being Princess Cay that would be 4 sea days for me since I would stay on the ship at Princess Cay. It would be a miserable week if I had to sit at the pool with MUTS playing loudly the way it does on the other ships.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read that...about the price of the cabanas...$3K...are they insane?

Also agree about the 3 vs 4 port stops on the Royal. I was booked on the Regal for Feb 2015 but have already jumped ship in favor of the Ruby.

I'm sure I'll sail on Royal/Regal some day, but I can't see the point of paying more and getting less.

[quote name='Jimmy Geegitz']Also the balconies are so tiny the people on the skywalk probably won't be able to see you anyway.[/quote]
From what I have read about the salt build up on the glass on the viewing wall of the other ships balconies my guess it that half way through the sailing the seawalk glass will be opaque from the salt on a TA and fogged up from the humidity on a Caribbean cruise. So I don't think anyone will be viewing anything at any angle. By the way I just sailed the Celebrity Summit and in the buffet they have porthole size windows in the floor along the perimeter by the window seats and you are able to look down at the water if you are sitting at one of those tables. The ship was built in 2001 so the concept isn't new and those windows were covered in salt so it wasn't a very clear view.

[quote name='RealDeal']I thought I read that...about the price of the cabanas...$3K...are they insane?

Also agree about the 3 vs 4 port stops on the Royal. I was booked on the Regal for Feb 2015 but have already jumped ship in favor of the Ruby.

I'm sure I'll sail on Royal/Regal some day, but I can't see the point of paying more and getting less.[/quote]
That's why I canceled the Royal in favor of the Celebrity Summit.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']That's why I canceled the Royal in favor of the Celebrity Summit.[/QUOTE]

It's really a shame...I was so looking forward to a new Princess ship, but even among the positive feedback, no one seems to be raving about anything.

[quote name='RealDeal']I thought I read that...about the price of the cabanas...$3K...are they insane?

I'm sure I'll sail on Royal/Regal some day, but I can't see the point of paying more and getting less.[/QUOTE]

Of course that's not correct. Someone quoting incorrect information again. The two large forward exclusive cabanas in forward part of The Sanctuary are reserved through The Spa, and come with an assorted array of massages, food, and other amenities for up to 2 couples for that price. The regular cabanas are described on the Princess Cruises website as:

"Sanctuary Cabanas – Within The Sanctuary, four new Sanctuary Cabanas offer an even more exclusive and special experience with amenities such as a personal television with noise-reducing wireless headphones, cushy sofas, luxurious robe and slippers, a welcome cocktail, and healthy snacks including nuts, and dried and fresh fruit. The cabana also features a fully stocked mini-bar with refreshing waters and sodas, as well as a choice of alcoholic options, including beer or wine. Sanctuary Cabanas will be available beginning at $80 for a half day."

[quote name='RealDeal']It's really a shame...I was so looking forward to a new Princess ship, but even among the positive feedback, no one seems to be raving about anything.[/QUOTE]

Being as the ship has only been on ONE real cruise, a 7-night from Southampton to Barcelona, and we have only heard from three or four people of the several [i]thousand[/i] aboard, I would hardly say that 'no one is raving about anything'. And remember that Cruise Critic represents much less than 5% of the cruising public. Even Shogun has booked another cruise on her while aboard (that says something) and said that the newbies love the ship.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']From what I have read about the salt build up on the glass on the viewing wall of the other ships balconies my guess it that half way through the sailing the seawalk glass will be opaque from the salt on a TA and fogged up from the humidity on a Caribbean cruise. So I don't think anyone will be viewing anything at any angle. By the way I just sailed the Celebrity Summit and in the buffet they have porthole size windows in the floor along the perimeter by the window seats and you are able to look down at the water if you are sitting at one of those tables. The ship was built in 2001 so the concept isn't new and those windows were covered in salt so it wasn't a very clear view.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that the SeaWalk and SeaView Bar windows will be cleaned daily when the ship is in port, in the early mornings when the ship is at sea. Sort of like when they break out the hoses and wash down the decks.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']I had a midship location booked on the Baja deck before I canceled. Two rooms away from the lifts. I never noticed the lack of a midship staircase. Now if I ever book this ship I know to book forward or aft. If everyone thinks this way then perhaps the price structure will change for these new ships. The only reason I book midship is for the convenience of being able to get to any part of the ship without having to wait for a lift.[/QUOTE]

I have an amidship cabin on Royal Princess for two weeks. I'm sure waiting two or three minutes for a lift won't kill me. And I was on the Ruby Princess last year for a week and actually forgot there was an amidship staircase. We only perceive it as a problem if we cannot find a way to adapt or overcome the issue. Or we can just throw in the towel and quit.

[quote name='dmwnc1959']I have an amidship cabin on Royal Princess for two weeks. I'm sure waiting two or three minutes for a lift won't kill me. And I was on the Ruby Princess last year for a week and actually forgot there was an amidship staircase. We only perceive it as a problem if we cannot find a way to adapt or overcome the issue. Or we can just throw in the towel and quit.[/quote]
Maybe we access the lifts at different times. I have never had a good experience with a midship lift on any ship especially during peak hours. Even on the Summit we were midship and the panoramic lifts which actually have a view of the outside of the ship top to bottom were always packed. This ship is small in comparison to the Royal Princess with slightly over 2000 passengers. Fortunately they had a mid ship staircase. All I know is if I ever book the Royal and it would have to be because of a good itinerary, it will be a room closer to the stairs and as of now the price will be less than mid ship so it's win win for me. The irony is that Princess recently changed the price structure for the new builds. Without the midship stairs and I'm not the only one bothered by this, it may just backfire on them. Of course on the older ships midship will still be a prime location with convenient access to all areas.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']Maybe we access the lifts at different times. I have never had a good experience with a midship lift on any ship especially during peak hours. Even on the Summit we were midship and the panoramic lifts which actually have a view of the outside of the ship top to bottom were always packed. This ship is small in comparison to the Royal Princess with slightly over 2000 passengers. Fortunately they had a mid ship staircase. All I know is if I ever book the Royal and it would have to be because of a good itinerary, it will be a room closer to the stairs and as of now the price will be less than mid ship so it's win win for me. The irony is that Princess recently changed the price structure for the new builds. Without the midship stairs and I'm not the only one bothered by this, it may just backfire on them. Of course on the older ships midship will still be a prime location with convenient access to all areas.[/QUOTE]

I was on the Celebrity Millennium for 10-nights booked in a midship cabin on Deck 2 and never had a problem with the wait time on the port side scenic elevators. I guess it depends on the time of year and cruise itinerary. I never even had a problem when we tendered and had to wait on an elevator. And even though the Millennium-class ships and the Century-class ships remain my favorite of all time to date, I am still looking forward to the Royal Princess.

[quote name='dmwnc1959']Of course that's not correct. Someone quoting incorrect information again. The two large forward exclusive cabanas in forward part of The Sanctuary are reserved through The Spa, and come with an assorted array of massages, food, and other amenities for up to 2 couples for that price. The regular cabanas are described on the Princess Cruises website as:

"Sanctuary Cabanas – Within The Sanctuary, four new Sanctuary Cabanas offer an even more exclusive and special experience with amenities such as a personal television with noise-reducing wireless headphones, cushy sofas, luxurious robe and slippers, a welcome cocktail, and healthy snacks including nuts, and dried and fresh fruit. The cabana also features a fully stocked mini-bar with refreshing waters and sodas, as well as a choice of alcoholic options, including beer or wine.[B] Sanctuary Cabanas will be available beginning at [COLOR=Red]$80 for a half day[/COLOR].[/B]"[/quote]
Still too expensive for a mass market line. A bucket of beer at $25 in a steerage class lounge chair will last me all day. That's if I can last all day with MUTS in the background.

Having found Princess a rather bland cruise experience over the past few years (i'm platinum), I was really hoping that Princess would use a new ship to evolve their product. I've moved from HAL and Princess to Celebrity and have really enjoyed their Solstice class sailing Aqua Class. The balconies are a great size with nice chairs with foot rests. The cabins are a great size and they definately have that wow factor as far as ship design and decor. Also I love that the Celebrity ships have a forward facing lounge.

Sad to hear the Royal will not be driving me back to Princess anytime soon

[quote name='Lynda90'][B]I agree completely. Cannot wait to board the new ship. Negative Nellie's certainly are entitled to their own opinion. I will board the ship planning to enjoy every minute of my cruise. I'm sure there will be things I may not be crazy about, but I know my spirits won't be dampened by a few things that could be better. And, I'm sure for me, the positives will outweigh the negatives. My opinions will definitely not be formed until I see everything for myself. :p[/B][/quote]

It's always been amusing to me how people can put others down, brag about themselves, and feel GOOD about it because unlike all those bad people out there (insinuated) [I]they[/I] are being positive :confused:

Let me explain to you what is going on:

Some of the defects of this ship have been obvious since the design phase and don't have to be seen to be understood. They are being confirmed by people currently sailing her. It's not that everyone but you is a "Negative Nellie" but perhaps they have greater ability to conceptualize these issues. As always, there will be nice features too, and people are mentioning them on these boards. But on this thread, people are talking about their opinions of the deficits and how some of these things may affect their personal enjoyment of the ship. However if it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead and chastise them. As an alternative, I'd suggest you switch to the cheerleader threads that are talking about the good stuff. I am watching both for balance and am not alone. I see a lot of the same names commenting on both types of threads. Do have a good cruise!

[quote name='RealDeal']It's really a shame...I was so looking forward to a new Princess ship, but even among the positive feedback, no one seems to be raving about anything.[/quote]
There really isn't anything to rave about. From what I can see is it's just more places to eat with the old venues relocated, a larger atrium and a bunch of over priced extras on a ship that can hold more passengers. What they seem to be raving about is the food which is good on all of the ships.

[quote name='Lynda90'][B]I agree completely. Cannot wait to board the new ship. Negative Nellie's certainly are entitled to their own opinion. I will board the ship planning to enjoy every minute of my cruise. I'm sure there will be things I may not be crazy about, but I know my spirits won't be dampened by a few things that could be better. And, I'm sure for me, the positives will outweigh the negatives. My opinions will definitely not be formed until I see everything for myself. :p[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree Lynn, I can't wait to get on in Venice with the rest of the CC group!![/FONT]

[quote name='Iamcruzin']There really isn't anything to rave about. From what I can see is it's just more places to eat with the old venues relocated, a larger atrium and a bunch of over priced extras on a ship that can hold more passengers. What they seem to be raving about is the food which is good on all of the ships.[/QUOTE]

That last statement is rather debatable. :rolleyes:

As for the first part of your post:

There are new shows, new venues, new features and amenities, and new technology on Royal Princess not found on any other ship in the Princess Cruises fleet. There is all new decor and a new ambiance with new furnishings in expanded public spaces on Royal Princess that don't look like any other ship in the Princess Cruises fleet. There are new dining and entertainment options all over Royal Princess, twice as much as any other ship in the Princess Cruises fleet. Some of us, including some of the most senior and respected members on this forum, want to experience something new and exciting. And lots of people have booked B2B cruises on these ships simply because they like what they see in this brand new ship. However, if you want the same old same old, there are 16 other ships in the Princess Cruises fleet. Whatever ship you pick, have a great time. :cool:

[quote name='tequilasunrise']It's always been amusing to me how people can put others down, brag about themselves, and feel GOOD about it because unlike all those bad people out there (insinuated) [I]they[/I] are being positive :confused:

Some of the defects of this ship have been obvious since the design phase and don't have to be seen to be understood. They are being confirmed by people currently sailing her. It's not that everyone but you is a "Negative Nellie" but perhaps they have greater ability to conceptualize these issues. As always, there will be nice features too, and people are mentioning them on these boards. But on this thread, people are talking about their opinions of the deficits and how some of these things may affect their personal enjoyment of the ship. However if it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead and chastise them. As an alternative, I'd suggest you switch to the cheerleader threads that are talking about the good stuff. I am watching both for balance and am not alone. I see a lot of the same names commenting on both types of threads. Do have a good cruise![/quote]

I have sailed on her and my name does appear in both threads. What is worrying is that when I get to the point of saying that a ledge in a shower is a "positive" of brand new ship then I know I am struggling!

Don't get me wrong Royal is a nice ship with a beautiful interior but it was lacking some of the details that make cruising a great experience for me and my family. We travel with teenagers who aren't keen on the teen area and we just like having the time to hang out together as a family both by the pool and on our balcony. With only the pool with MUTS and a miniscule balcony that is not an option for us.

Our next planned trip was a Caribbean cruise at Easter but the prospect of 4 sea days on the Royal was not appealing so we cancelled. Each to their own and it certainly doesn't make me feel a "lesser" person because I know what I like and what is important to me and won't be swayed by being told how wonderful something is. For some people it will tick all the boxes and will be their perfect ship but it's not mine. If we all liked the same thing then there would only be one type of ship sailing the seas!

[quote name='tequilasunrise']It's always been amusing to me how people can put others down, brag about themselves, and feel GOOD about it because unlike all those bad people out there (insinuated) [I]they[/I] are being positive :confused:

Some of the defects of this ship have been obvious since the design phase and don't have to be seen to be understood. They are being confirmed by people currently sailing her. It's not that everyone but you is a "Negative Nellie" but perhaps they have greater ability to conceptualize these issues. As always, there will be nice features too, and people are mentioning them on these boards. But on this thread, people are talking about their opinions of the deficits and how some of these things may affect their personal enjoyment of the ship. However if it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead and chastise them. As an alternative, I'd suggest you switch to the cheerleader threads that are talking about the good stuff. I am watching both for balance and am not alone. I see a lot of the same names commenting on both types of threads. Do have a good cruise![/QUOTE]

Agreed...very much so.

I wasn't suggesting that the Royal will be a "bad" experience by any means, but it just doesn't sound like the things that are most important to passengers have been improved upon on this ship...that's all.

Archived