Tasman Sea at Christmas

rols

We've been thinking about this cruise for a few years, Christmas, going down to New Zealand, sounds lovely .. but for those two days crossing the Tasman Sea, one of which is Christmas Day.

I've googled and researched and looked at every piece of data I can find but I cannot work out what the 'best' season to cross there is, whether that is Christmas or not, how bad, bad is and what's the likelihood we spend two days in the cabin wondering when it's all going to stop. We can take a bit of rough weather, if there's a 1/5 shot of getting that, we'll probably go and live with it, if it's 90% certain we're going to be miserable, we won't.

Does anyone have any solid data on when, how often, for how long and how bad it is in that part of the ocean?

We've been thinking about this cruise for a few years, Christmas, going down to New Zealand, sounds lovely .. but for those two days crossing the Tasman Sea, one of which is Christmas Day.

I've googled and researched and looked at every piece of data I can find but I cannot work out what the 'best' season to cross there is, whether that is Christmas or not, how bad, bad is and what's the likelihood we spend two days in the cabin wondering when it's all going to stop. We can take a bit of rough weather, if there's a 1/5 shot of getting that, we'll probably go and live with it, if it's 90% certain we're going to be miserable, we won't.

Does anyone have any solid data on when, how often, for how long and how bad it is in that part of the ocean?

I was on the Odyssey last Xmas and New Years cruise Jan 6th from Sydney to Auckland and it ws rough one day of two. When I rejoined the Odyssey on Feb 23rd in Auckland, we had a 3 day crossing the Tasman Sea from Auckland directly to Sydney and it was rough again for 1 full day and night and the other days were tolerable.

The odds say you will have some rough seas then or other times of the year as well. But you may be fortunate to have none or you may have some. For this reason we book mid-ship and come prepared.

I don't have any statistics that I can point to other than having sailed the Tasman sea several times.

Keith

One probable plus is that it will be Summer down there so your chances are pretty good but, like the Bay of Biscay, rough seas can pop up any time. As Wripro says, don't let it stop you. I bet it will be just fine.:D

It is well known that our Tasman Sea is known to be one of the roughest stretches of water worldwide. Silly sailors have a yacht race around this time from Sydney to Tasmania and many have been lost to this briny stretch.

Despite knowing this we braved the seas on a return Melbourne to NZ Cruise at Christmas 3 years ago. My experience was, I awoke feeling slightly queasy but thought bravely I will be okay. I went to breakfast and sat down and then stood straight up again and headed for our cabin. DH (Panda) stayed and enjoyed breakfast whilst I lay flat nausea over coming me.:eek: After breakfast DH Panda returned to the cabin with wristbands with a bump on them to place directly onto the acupressure point above my wrists. Within an hour the nausea was gone and did not return.:) You may not have this experience; seasickness is not in the mind it is in the ears. DH who is a really good sailor surprisingly was suddenly overcome as our ship left Saigon crossing the waters from the river to the sea. Unfortunately we were having dinner with the Captain of the ship. DH was very embarrassed.:o

Please do not let the seas put you off the cruise. The scenery is exceptionally beautiful. Don't forget to buy a possum wool hat, scarf or cardigan in Dunedin. I take my cosy possum cardi everywhere I travel.

Archived