Miami Hotel - Help please?

KAWS

We are coming to Miami next March for three nights before our cruise. We have never been to Miami before (usually sail out of Ft. Lauderdale) so I have no idea what or where I should book. I saw from the Hotwire site that Miami is a lot more expensive than FLL so I need some help and guidance.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want a Motel 5 1/2 either. Since we won't have a car, something that has restaurants and stores nearby would be very handy (or within a reasonable taxi ride). Someplace that has a nice pool too. We want to make it like a mini-holiday before the cruise.

Does anyone have any ideas or can help me? TIA

When do you cruise? :confused: Prices vary significantly by the tourist season

What's your budget? :confused:

For 3 days without a car I would focus on Miami Beach -- no car needed (traffic and parking is a mess).

Give us some dates and budget info and we can help with more specific info. Good luck! :)

The InterContinental, downtown and near the Bayside Marketplace, is a upscale but has some special pricing depending on your travel dates. It's very, very nice and located close to dining and shopping and a very quick cab ride to the pier. We stayed their post cruise a few years ago and loved the place!:)

South Beach/Miami Beach are really crowded; but once you get there--you have the beach and lots of dining and shopping opportunities. It would be a "livelier" area to stay:rolleyes:

Sorry John. Should have posted the info you were talking about.

Mid March 201 - Wed to Sat. We were trying to keep it under $200. Usually we do FLL and get it on Hotwire for something around $125 a night but I'm already realizing that's not going to happen in Miami.

I like the idea of being near that Marketplace. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the big marketplace in Seattle. We LOVED that. Is that an area where the beach is too? So sorry -- I really have no idea about anything in Miami.

Are their any wine stores or places that sell bottles of alcohol nearby that Intercontinental? I have also heard the Holiday Inn across from the marketplace might be a contender.

Thoughts?

When do you cruise? :confused: Prices vary significantly by the tourist season

What's your budget? :confused:

For 3 days without a car I would focus on Miami Beach -- no car needed (traffic and parking is a mess).

Give us some dates and budget info and we can help with more specific info. Good luck! :)

When in March?? I can tell you the weekend of March 29th there is a festival of electric lights going on that weekend and all of downtown is almost already all booked up.

Take a look at the Hampton Inn in downtown Miami (they include Breakfast) and they are near a lot of restaurants. You can easily take public transportation to get over to South Beach.

You could also look at the downtown Hyatt, Marriott and Holiday Inn at Bayside.

Keith

Mid March 201 - Wed to Sat. We were trying to keep it under $200. Usually we do FLL and get it on Hotwire for something around $125 a night but I'm already realizing that's not going to happen in Miami.

I like the idea of being near that Marketplace. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the big marketplace in Seattle. We LOVED that. Is that an area where the beach is too? So sorry -- I really have no idea about anything in Miami.

Are their any wine stores or places that sell bottles of alcohol nearby that Intercontinental? I have also heard the Holiday Inn across from the marketplace might be a contender.

Thoughts?

We stayed at the Element at the airport and got a park and cruise package for answer 200 bucks. Free shuttle to port and free local shuttle in 3 mile radius, complimentary lunch and breakfast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thoughts?

The Bayside Market is MUCH smaller and less interesting the Pike's in Seattle - a few shops and lots of chain dining options (Hooters, Chili's, Bubba Gump, etc.).

The Intercontinental is a very nice resort hotel and there is a drug store with a limited selection of wine within a block or so. There are better liquor and wine stores within a 3-5 blocks. The Holiday Inn is your standard Holiday Inn with a good location (some rooms with a view of the port).

For the beach you will need to go to Miami Beach - it is a separate city from Miami and is the location for most of the "Miami" you see in the movies and TV. Pull up Google maps and get an understanding of the general lay of the land.

I would not suggest anyone stay in downtown Miami for 3 days prior to a cruise - most of what you want to see and do will be a cab o bus ride away. Instead head to Miami Beach for the dining, nightlife, people watching and the beach. In March - prime tourist and spring break season - you'll need to shop to find a good hotel within your budget and you are WAY early for any of the blind bidding sites. Good luck! :)

The Bayside Market is MUCH smaller and less interesting the Pike's in Seattle - a few shops and lots of chain dining options (Hooters, Chili's, Bubba Gump, etc.).

The Intercontinental is a very nice resort hotel and there is a drug store with a limited selection of wine within a block or so. There are better liquor and wine stores within a 3-5 blocks. The Holiday Inn is your standard Holiday Inn with a good location (some rooms with a view of the port).

For the beach you will need to go to Miami Beach - it is a separate city from Miami and is the location for most of the "Miami" you see in the movies and TV. Pull up Google maps and get an understanding of the general lay of the land.

I would not suggest anyone stay in downtown Miami for 3 days prior to a cruise - most of what you want to see and do will be a cab o bus ride away. Instead head to Miami Beach for the dining, nightlife, people watching and the beach. In March - prime tourist and spring break season - you'll need to shop to find a good hotel within your budget and you are WAY early for any of the blind bidding sites. Good luck! :)

I don't need to be on the beach. We'll get that when we are on the cruise for some of the port days. So you'd say Intercontinental would be better than the Holiday Inn that's there? Is it near to the marketplace too? We're more into daylife rather than nightlife.

To Keith: Thanks for those suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll check them out.

To Kathie: I'll check out the pricing on Intercontinental too. I found pricing for Holiday Inn on Priceline and then called the hotel. They gave me the exact pricing as PL. I was surprised at that.

Geesh this is harder than choosing the cruise!

Totally agree with this. Do NOT stay downtown for three nights.

I would suggest Coconut Grove or Coral Gables. Both are near beaches and dining without the high prices of Miami Beach or Key Biscayne. The hotels in these two neighborhoods for the most part will be within walking distance to fantastic shopping and dining, much better than Bayside Marketplace and also be on the water (Coconut Grove).

I would suggest Coconut Grove or Coral Gables. Both are near beaches and dining without the high prices of Miami Beach or Key Biscayne. The hotels in these two neighborhoods for the most part will be within walking distance to fantastic shopping and dining, much better than Bayside Marketplace and also be on the water (Coconut Grove).

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I will check them both out. :D I knew my fellow CC's would help me.

What about the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove/Coral Gables? Is this a hotel that is within the shopping and dining? Is it right on the beach or within walking distance too? Some of these hotels are the same price for one night as this is for two or even three. This one says free breakfast included (nice little bonus). I know Hampton is a chain so probably good because it is predictable, but it's more the area that I'm wondering about. I really want to be sure that we can buy some wine/alcohol and snacks and that we can go for dinner at a reasonable price too each night. If not this hotel, then can you suggest another one?

KAWS,

Post when you get a hotel. We are going in October and we have booked Doubletree Biscayne Bay. We read some very bad reviews and some very good reviews and are wondering if we made the right decision.

Does anyone know if it is near restaurants, CVS, stores, etc?

Right about now my head is about to blow off with indecision. I called Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove and they were very nice but I think they are too far from the Cocowalk where they say is shopping and restaurants. And they are definitely too far from the beach. Courtyard in Coconut Grove was in the right price range but after getting hung up on twice and then put on hold forever, I'm not too keen to continue. Beach hotels are WAY over the budget. Since I've never laid eyes on any part of Miami this is so hard. I'm already thinking we should have just come in the day before and forgotten the "mini" holiday.

Think I'll take a break and see what the Miami experts have to say.

KAWS,

Post when you get a hotel. We are going in October and we have booked Doubletree Biscayne Bay. We read some very bad reviews and some very good reviews and are wondering if we made the right decision.

Does anyone know if it is near restaurants, CVS, stores, etc?

I stay at this hotel often when in Miami on business (corporate travel chooses for me :( - but this one is a winner! :cool:). Very nice and large rooms, some with a view of the port. The pool area is wonderful. There is shopping for last minute items available in the covered areas connecting this hotel to the next door Marriott and nearby condos. The restaurant in the lobby is very good for caribbeaen inspired food, Bin 18 (2 blocks away - Biscayne and 18th) is great for tapas and an extensive wine and beer list, :D and there is a sports pub nearby; if you want Bayside Market is walkable (I would suggest taking a cab back to the hotel after dark). Taxi to POM should be about $10-12. Good luck! :)

I stay at this hotel often when in Miami on business (corporate travel chooses for me :( - but this one is a winner! :cool:). Very nice and large rooms, some with a view of the port. The pool area is wonderful. There is shopping for last minute items available in the covered areas connecting this hotel to the next door Marriott and nearby condos. The restaurant in the lobby is very good for caribbeaen inspired food, Bin 18 (2 blocks away - Biscayne and 18th) is great for tapas and an extensive wine and beer list, :D and there is a sports pub nearby; if you want Bayside Market is walkable (I would suggest taking a cab back to the hotel after dark). Taxi to POM should be about $10-12. Good luck! :)

Thank you. Going to give them a call today. They are a little pricier than what we were planning, but to be in a safe area and as you describe above, it's worth an extra $50 or so per night. :)

Right about now my head is about to blow off with indecision. I called Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove and they were very nice but I think they are too far from the Cocowalk where they say is shopping and restaurants. And they are definitely too far from the beach. Courtyard in Coconut Grove was in the right price range but after getting hung up on twice and then put on hold forever, I'm not too keen to continue. Beach hotels are WAY over the budget. Since I've never laid eyes on any part of Miami this is so hard. I'm already thinking we should have just come in the day before and forgotten the "mini" holiday.

Think I'll take a break and see what the Miami experts have to say.

CALL BACK!!!!

I'm sure that the Courtyard was crazy over the past three days with the basketball games. Miami has been insane since the Heat won last night.

This Courtyard is in a great location, I highly recommend you call back.

Kim,

I recently booked 3 rooms at the Miami Intercontinental for a family Disney Magic cruise over Thanksgiving. I booked it at www dot lastminutetravel dot com (though it doesn't have to be last minue). We got each room (this price includes the high Miami tax) for $156. per room. There is also a phone number for the site and you can find out the name of the hotel offered so unlike priceline, you're not buying a pig in a poke. This site was definitely the best price I found for Intercontinental. The room can also be cancelled within a couple of days ahead should our plans change which is a big plus traveling with 10 people.

Good Luck

CALL BACK!!!!

I'm sure that the Courtyard was crazy over the past three days with the basketball games. Miami has been insane since the Heat won last night.

This Courtyard is in a great location, I highly recommend you call back.

Really? I booked the Doubletree Hotel today. I can cancel it no problem though. You'd recommend the Courtyard over Doubletree? I guess I was thinking that Courtyard was near the Holiday Inn, which you said (I think it was you) was sketchy area at night.

Kim,

I recently booked 3 rooms at the Miami Intercontinental for a family Disney Magic cruise over Thanksgiving. I booked it at www dot lastminutetravel dot com (though it doesn't have to be last minue). We got each room (this price includes the high Miami tax) for $156. per room. There is also a phone number for the site and you can find out the name of the hotel offered so unlike priceline, you're not buying a pig in a poke. This site was definitely the best price I found for Intercontinental. The room can also be cancelled within a couple of days ahead should our plans change which is a big plus traveling with 10 people.

Good Luck

That's good to know Marcie. I guess I always figured "last minute travel" was indeed that. And I never do last minute anything so didn't even give that site a shot.

Archived