Vancouver Chinatown - safe?

We will be in Vancouver pre and post cruise and would love to visit and eat in Chinatown.

Is it safe? Have read so many conflicting reviews. If so, any recommendations for a good restaurant?

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've never felt unsafe, and I've lived within walking distance for years. You will see some stark realities in the area. There are drug addicts around. It can be a bit depressing but I don't find it scary. It will depend on your threshold. It's not a violent place.

Thanks, guys. We are originally from NYC, so an occasional "undesirable" can be fine. I have read that there are addicts shooting up in the streets and lots of other "down and outers" harassing people for $, etc.

As a native Vancouverite, I would describe Vancouver's Chinatown as 100% safe. However, you will see some street people and shall we say undesirable types particularly if you walk from the Gastown area into Chinatown, you are not at risk, it is just offensive to some people. If this may bother you than you can take a cab for a few dollars or take SkyTrain to Stadium station and walk into Chinatown.

Restaurants in Chinatown abound but a couple of my faves include:

Floata Seafood http://www.floata.com/

Hons Wun Tun House http://www.hons.ca/

As a native Vancouverite, I would describe Vancouver's Chinatown as 100% safe. However, you will see some street people and shall we say undesirable types particularly if you walk from the Gastown area into Chinatown, you are not at risk, it is just offensive to some people. If this may bother you than you can take a cab for a few dollars or take SkyTrain to Stadium station and walk into Chinatown.

Thanks for the info. Some people made it sound as if people were sitting on the sidewalks shooting up!

We will be there Sunday. I had read that there is a street festival in the evening. Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated

The Chinatown Night Market happens on weekend evenings during the summer. There are food stands and stalls selling trinkets. It has recently been revamped to be a bit cooler, I haven't been this year.

If you want some amazing, non-traditional food and cocktails you should go to Bao Bei for dinner.

Thanks for the info. Some people made it sound as if people were sitting on the sidewalks shooting up!

forums app

You could see this if you look down the alleys between Gastown and Chinatown but you are not likely to see it in Chinatown.

I would definately not walk from Canada Place to Chinatown, better to take a cab for your peace of mind. Hastings street separates Gastown from Chinatown and is a sorry place. While the addicts and dealers are unlikely to bother you, it is a site of human misery and an uncomfortable place to be. To clarify, the bad part of Hastings street is the five or six blocks on either side of Main street.

I live in Vancouver and have returned from our second trip to NYC and never felt uncomfortable in downtown NYC even at night... I wouldn't go near Hastings street in Vcr. day or night.

While Chinatown is somewhat interesting, it is not what it once was..most of our Chinese population has moved to a suburb named Richmond and many stores have followed.

Having said all of the above, remember Vancouver is a very safe city with the exception of those two or three blocks, hope you enjoy.

Some suggestions that would be at the top of my list:

Stanley Park and it's beaches

Walking along Denman Street, coffee at Delaney's at English bay

Grouse Mountain Skyride

If you are a serious shopper: Robson street, downtown or Metrotown in Burnaby which is. 25 minute Skytrain ride from Canada Place.

Coffee or lunch at the Vancouver Art Gallery Terrace

We communicated last year. Can I make a 1:00pm flight leaving Vancouver after my cruise on the Millennium if I take a cab from the ship? I remember you were the most reliable source, especially in helping me buy some wine. H

We communicated last year. Can I make a 1:00pm flight leaving Vancouver after my cruise on the Millennium if I take a cab from the ship? I remember you were the most reliable source, especially in helping me buy some wine. H

You will have lots of time....relax and enjoy.:)

I wholly agree. Putterdude is right, as always.

After all, this is Canada. I don't think that I have ever a Canadian that is not nice. :D

I wholly agree. Putterdude is right, as always.

After all, this is Canada. I don't think that I have ever a Canadian that is not nice. :D

I'd have to disagree. Since PD last lived in Vancouver a lot has changed and the walk from Gastown to Chinatown has gentrified significantly.

There has been significant investment, and there are a lot of people moving in, with money, and they're not the 'undesirable' types. The Woodwards area re-development, the opening of London Drugs, TD Bank, Nesters Market, Save On Meats to mention just a few in the last 5-10 years. The southern, and western edges of the traditionaly bad "downtown eastside", are moving east and north.

I know there's another person here, who lives just a couple of blocks from the neighbourhood, and I'm sure they'll say much the same thing.

I think Putterdude was in agreement with the area being safe. It was Ehogan who disagreed and wouldn't choose to walk through the area. :)

I think Putterdude was in agreement with the area being safe. It was Ehogan who disagreed and wouldn't choose to walk through the area. :)

That is exactly what I said, I am afraid the previous poster loves to take issue with the fact I no longer live in the city and often tries to discredit information that I post. What he fails to understand the involvement I had in Vancover during my career, the connections I still have and the amount of time I spend in the city even today. As a matter of fact, I am posting this on a BC Ferry having spent time only this afternoon in the area he describes.

Husband and I walked from Canada Place through Gas Town (very enjoyable area to visit the shops) and then on to Chinatown. There was a few blocks of seediness and plenty of down and out people but we didn't feel threatened however we did maintain a bit more awareness of our surroundings.

My husband is Chinese and we thought it would be fun to explore Chinatown but was greatly disappointed. Perhaps because our expectations were more of what we experience in our own Chinatown (San Francisco) and New York.

But having read than Vancouver had the largest Chinese population in North America we thought we would experience something of a grand scale and very exotic. We found neither. If you feel you really want to have a meal there, I would go ahead and try one that has been recommended here as I trust they have had good experiences.

Husband and I walked from Canada Place through Gas Town (very enjoyable area to visit the shops) and then on to Chinatown. There was a few blocks of seediness and plenty of down and out people but we didn't feel threatened however we did maintain a bit more awareness of our surroundings.

My husband is Chinese and we thought it would be fun to explore Chinatown but was greatly disappointed. Perhaps because our expectations were more of what we experience in our own Chinatown (San Francisco) and New York.

But having read than Vancouver had the largest Chinese population in North America we thought we would experience something of a grand scale and very exotic. We found neither. If you feel you really want to have a meal there, I would go ahead and try one that has been recommended here as I trust they have had good experiences.

The bulk of the Chinese population now lives in the suburbs, with the municipality of Richmond (near the airport) having the largest number. Enough that the municpality's website is in two languages English and Chinese.

That is exactly what I said, I am afraid the previous poster loves to take issue with the fact I no longer live in the city and often tries to discredit information that I post. What he fails to understand the involvement I had in Vancover during my career, the connections I still have and the amount of time I spend in the city even today. As a matter of fact, I am posting this on a BC Ferry having spent time only this afternoon in the area he describes.

We are now in Vancouver and DID go to Chinatown last night. Every hotel employee said to DEFINITELY take a taxi. Glad we did. Sorry to say, we were very disappointed with Chinatown. The weekend summer street fair was only one block long. The area was filthy. A fair share of undesirables.

We area staying @Burrard and Robson. R/T taxi fare was about $30 - a complete waste of $.

We really wanted to like Chinatown. However having been to Chinatowns in NY, SF & LA this doesn't even come close.

(Just as an aside - I don't know why some people can't post an opposing view without being snarky.)

I am still a Putterdude fan! LOL

Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations. It's not a very polished area of town. There are great spots in the neighbourhood, but you do have to know where to look.

Where did you end up eating? Was it any good?

But having read than Vancouver had the largest Chinese population in North America we thought we would experience something of a grand scale and very exotic. We found neither. ...

That was exactly our experience as well. We've heard so much about the influx of Chinese into Vancouver, especially around the time of HK reunification with PRC, that I've envisioned Vancouver as having colorful Chinatown as in SF, NY, or Philadelphia.

Or am I wrong? Is there a historical Chinatown in Vancouver that compares favorably to those in NY, SF, LA, Chicago, etc.?

Archived