Solarium Pool etiquette.

willma

One should never drink the ship's coffee before going to the pool.:rolleyes:

Completely and totally NOT ok!! :mad:

He probably soaked a few Kindles, paperbacks, magazines, etc!! My DH would have quickly and clearly "had a word" with this person. :eek::eek::eek:

I like to splash all of the chair hogs that feel that they need to lounge by the pool. :D

Here are a few things to think about:

Why do people that are reading or sleeping need to lay by or around the pool? :confused:

Why do people that are using the pool need to have a chair by the pool? :confused:

If they removed all of the chairs around the pool would that eliminate the chair hogs? :confused:

That is the nice part about being a retired good off, I have nothing to do but think about things that need to be thought about. ;)

Life is great. Being retired is better.

Solarium or T pool? I know that in the area of the T pool on the M class ships, there are signs requesting that people be quiet as it is a spa area. I had the experience of having to contend with a group of cruisers who thought the T pool was just like a swimming pool in their back yard. They were loud and boisterous. They brought beer bottles into the pool. (a big no no!) The last straw was when they splashed me. At that point I pointed out the sign to them that this was a quiet area. Shortly there after, they left the pool and the area. There is a time and place for jumping into the pool with a big splash. I don't think the Solarium pool on a cruise ship is the place.

Are you being serious? Did this really affect your cruise experience?

"someone in speedos, goggles and swim cap leaps in and proceeds to plough up and down the centre of the pool, doing tumble turns and casting all aside who dares to cross their bow". (Note the speedos were with the goggles and swim cap, denoting someone who is a serious lap swimmer.)

Yes, this would badly affect my cruise experience and if it happened to me, I would be serious. Evidently this member is among the folks who find no problem with this bad behavior.

There are people who know what rude, inappropriate behavior is, thank goodness, and there are others who are badly and sadly unaware. This sort of behavior does ruin the enjoyment of others.

L

Technically, there is nothing wrong with that, but in reality, YOU are choosing to run at a time when this area is congested with people enjoying sailaways. So yes... leaping and dodging is your choice to make. Sorry.

Well the reality is that you are either a morning runner or a late afternoon runner - you can't run in the full heat of the day when the sun is overhead on a hot weather itinerary. I do both according to the schedule, but if you have an early morning excursion you're pretty much out of luck. I don't understand why it would be okay to block the running track with your lounge chair under any circumstance....but you're not alone in your opinion i guess considering the number of people who do. Good manners seem to be left on shore by far for too many people I find.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi, With all respect, I swim laps on cruise ships for my daily exercise. As I have both hips replaced, I cannot run for exercise.

I go at 7 AM before most people are out and about (except those that are exercising)

I choose a pool that's empty - either the main pool or the solarium. The solarium is better as it is structured like a lap pool (long and narrow) - although it is still short . . . something to accept when cruising.

If there are others in the pool, or other folks get in the pool while I'm swimming, I do my best to try to stay as far from them as possible. I always watch where I'm going so I don't interfere with the others. If there are too many folks, I cut my swim short and get out (it's not easy to swim laps when there are lots of people in the pool).

I don't do this to be annoying. I believe that the pool, when mostly empty, is an option for exercise made available by the company.

I would never swim laps in the middle of the day. The pools have other purposes at that time.

I do wear a racing suit (it's Lycra and made by Speedo but it goes down to my knees). It's remarkably easier to swim with one of those rather than baggy trunks. You wouldn't appreciate it unless you tried it.

BTW - I am in my 60's. And I hope that I don't appear too disgusting.

We are all different. Swimming the laps is an important part of my vacation and I'll be finished in about 10 or 15 minutes if you don't mind.

Hi, With all respect, I swim laps on cruise ships for my daily exercise. As I have both hips replaced, I cannot run for exercise.

I go at 7 AM before most people are out and about (except those that are exercising)

I choose a pool that's empty - either the main pool or the solarium. The solarium is better as it is structured like a lap pool (long and narrow) - although it is still short . . . something to accept when cruising.

If there are others in the pool, or other folks get in the pool while I'm swimming, I do my best to try to stay as far from them as possible. I always watch where I'm going so I don't interfere with the others. If there are too many folks, I cut my swim short and get out (it's not easy to swim laps when there are lots of people in the pool).

I don't do this to be annoying. I believe that the pool, when mostly empty, is an option for exercise made available by the company.

I would never swim laps in the middle of the day. The pools have other purposes at that time.

I do wear a racing suit (it's Lycra and made by Speedo but it goes down to my knees). It's remarkably easier to swim with one of those rather than baggy trunks. You wouldn't appreciate it unless you tried it.

We are all different. Swimming the laps is an important part of my vacation and I'll be finished in about 10 or 15 minutes if you don't mind.

You sound like a very considerate person to me:)

This is exactly my feeling. I am a competitive Master swimmer and I can't afford to be out of the water for 2+ weeks. And although the ship pools are way too short, I will still try and keep a feel for the water a couple times during a long cruise. HOWEVER, I swim laps ONLY in the early morning or late when there is no one else in the pool or even around. I would never want to get in when other people are using it. But, I would hope that if I was swimming laps at 7am and someone else wanted to get in and "float" that they would also give me the courtesy of floating on the opposite side of the pool.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Sounds like the OP is making it as much about himself as well. I didn't see any post from a lap swimmer saying he was bothered by people floating around in the pool. :rolleyes: The lap swimmer may not have even known it was a problem. Lots of people enjoy swimming laps and the outside pools are often hectic or filled with people just standing around.

Tom

I, for one would have stayed in the pool and stood my ground. He must be part of the ME generation.

Archived