Goodie Bags

Please.... Is there no limit to what you will believe?

Are you so gullible that you don't realize what they are doing?

OMG-----what if they are actually nice people.........doing something nice. What a crazy thought, isn't it!

My little Polish Grandmother always told us "there are nice people everywhere". You suppose she considered there were nice people even on a cruise ship too!

It's like when you go to a land restaurant and the server kneels down next to your table or sits at the booth with you while taking your order. It's all a way to seem more personable and friendly to get a better tip.

I read that thread and I don't think it was ugly at all. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them rude. IMO it is for the benefit of the guest to give anything other than cash. The giver wants to be thanked and feel appreciation for giving something. Just as in the other thread my opinion is they don't want your trinkets or candy. They work for money just like everyone else.

Oh please!

These were innocent little girls wanting to share something which is special and unique to them. Is that not the essence of giving?

The "sprouts" were not leaving the cash tip, they were simply doing an act of kindness.

Re-read the thread. Two people responded with personal attacks. Completely unnecessary.

Gosh knows there is absolutely nothing wrong with a little selfless act of kindness on occasion.

What were they doing? All of the notes were given to us after tips, so I don't think they were trolling for tips. The gift to our grandson was given on the last night, so again, I don't think she was angling for extra money.

And no, I am not a gullible person!:D

Sherri:)

We stopped at Walgreens near Miami Port last weekend before getting on our ship and there was a Carnival employee in front of us checking out. He bought about $100 worth of candy and only candy, bags of it. He had stacks of the Godiva and Lindt Chocolate bars so it seemed like he was probably buying them for his fellow peers. I dont see how it would hurt to throw in a couple nice things like this, it is the thought that counts. A little extra cash and a couple candy bars I think would be a nice gesture.

We stopped at Walgreens near Miami Port last weekend before getting on our ship and there was a Carnival employee in front of us checking out. He bought about $100 worth of candy and only candy, bags of it. He had stacks of the Godiva and Lindt Chocolate bars so it seemed like he was probably buying them for his fellow peers. I dont see how it would hurt to throw in a couple nice things like this, it is the thought that counts. A little extra cash and a couple candy bars I think would be a nice gesture.

Hey, I know my office would shut down if there was no chocolate. We LOVE the holidays because our German suppliers keep our counters filled with treats.

Guilty pleasures! I'm sure the crew are no different.

What the hell is a "mousekeeper"??

It's the word used for the room maid at a Disney Resort. Kind of silly/cute, don't you think? Housekeeper? Mousekeeper?

I guess you have to drink the Kool Aid. :-)

Do you think the wait staff ever thinks to themselves, "gee, I wish someone would give me something other than cash".

Do you think that when someone gives them a box of cookies they think, "Oh boy, cookies, I'm so glad he didn't give me money".

Do you think that perhaps the waiter who makes a fuss over your kid is actually not interested in your kid at all but is after a bigger tip.

Did you figure out how many customers the waiter or stateroom attendant serves on a tour of duty?

And you think he is genuinely interested in you or your kid?

Keep the relationship professional and remember what was said above...

"These people are not your friends, companions, buddies. Their job is to serve you and make sure you are happy -- not vice versa."

Do you think the wait staff ever thinks to themselves, "gee, I wish someone would give me something other than cash".

Do you think that when someone gives them a box of cookies they think, "Oh boy, cookies, I'm so glad he didn't give me money".

Do you think that perhaps the waiter who makes a fuss over your kid is actually not interested in your kid at all but is after a bigger tip.

Did you figure out how many customers the waiter or stateroom attendant serves on a tour of duty?

"These people are not your friends, companions, buddies. Their job is to serve you and make sure you are happy -- not vice versa."[/

Sorry, you are soooooooo missing the point. But hey, be happy. I happen to prefer my point of view. More smiles!

"These people are not your friends, companions, buddies. Their job is to serve you and make sure you are happy -- not vice versa."[/

Sorry, you are soooooooo missing the point. But hey, be happy. I happen to prefer my point of view. More smiles!

In a former life I worked for tips with guests up to 7-10 days at a time. Sure, there were the people you couldn't wait to take back to the airport. There were also the guests you never wanted to leave.......and yes, Harry would dress in a tux the last morning serving breakfast. Why, it was fun and it always made people smile. After 20+ years, I still get Christmas cards from 3 of them.......one was the group which brought us the extra large/Megga bumba box of Godiva chocolates. How much did we love them!

It's the word used for the room maid at a Disney Resort. Kind of silly/cute, don't you think? Housekeeper? Mousekeeper?

I guess you have to drink the Kool Aid. :-)

I am really glad I never fell for the whole Disney thing.

I did the park about 15 years ago and was not that impressed.

I guess I am more of a Universal Studios guy....

It's like when you go to a land restaurant and the server kneels down next to your table or sits at the booth with you while taking your order. It's all a way to seem more personable and friendly to get a better tip.

Ewww -- have you had servers do that in land restaurants? This behavior on the part of a server would result in exactly the opposite of a bigger tip from me.

I felt that our servers on board ship were interested in doing their job well, were appropriately "friendly" in their manner, and tried to make our cruise as pleasant as they could in their capacity as our MDR servers. They never overstepped the bounds of their positions into smarminess, manipulation, or desperation. They behaved professionally, and with dignity.

OMG-----what if they are actually nice people.........doing something nice. What a crazy thought, isn't it!

My little Polish Grandmother always told us "there are nice people everywhere". You suppose she considered there were nice people even on a cruise ship too!

I doubt it -- not after she had to listen to all those Polish jokes! (I inherited a wonderful Polish Grandmother when my wife and I married. I hope she forgives me for all of the jokes I made her endure.)

I doubt it -- not after she had to listen to all those Polish jokes! (I inherited a wonderful Polish Grandmother when my wife and I married. I hope she forgives me for all of the jokes I made her endure.)

I'm guessing you are forgiven! Polish Grandmothers are like that.

In my case, it was my father and the Polish jokes.

I am really glad I never fell for the whole Disney thing.

I did the park about 15 years ago and was not that impressed.

I guess I am more of a Universal Studios guy....

Universal and Harry Potter has taken away some of the sparkle from Disney.

Walt wanted a park for everyone but it's just too expensive. DH is a 34 year "castmember" by way of being an ABC employee, even with his free tickets, big discounts for food and hotels, it STILL isn't the bargain of a RCI cruise.

We used to be regulars. Now we are regulars on cruise ships and National Parks.

We all agree, with the 50-60% discounts, the hotels still are over priced.

Sadly, you are more likely now to find Disney-style service on a Royal Caribbean ship than at Disneyworld.

You choose wisely.

My suggestion is not for the contents of the bag, but here is something that I did on our last cruise. I bought 2 speciality coffee drinks at Starbucks and gave one to our cabin steward. He enjoyed that while he was working. He loved it.

Universal and Harry Potter has taken away some of the sparkle from Disney.

Walt wanted a park for everyone but it's just too expensive. DH is a 34 year "castmember" by way of being an ABC employee, even with his free tickets, big discounts for food and hotels, it STILL isn't the bargain of a RCI cruise.

We used to be regulars. Now we are regulars on cruise ships and National Parks.

We all agree, with the 50-60% discounts, the hotels still are over priced.

Sadly, you are more likely now to find Disney-style service on a Royal Caribbean ship than at Disneyworld.

You choose wisely.

I was just on the Disney website last night. My daughter graduated from college recently and is employed full time now (yay!), so we've been talking about little trips we could take in between the one cruise a year we go on. We were thinking, maybe a 4-day trip to Disneyworld. So I priced out a trip, sort of based on what kind of amenities we would have on a cruise ship. Hotel with room service, added a meal plan, etc. Quite a bit more than what we could get a cruise for! :eek:

My suggestion is not for the contents of the bag, but here is something that I did on our last cruise. I bought 2 speciality coffee drinks at Starbucks and gave one to our cabin steward. He enjoyed that while he was working. He loved it.

And what if he didn't love it?

Would he have acted differently? Of course not. He would act in an appreciative manner to avoid possibly offending you.

Why do some of you folks think that you need to develop some kind of special relationship with the help?

Why do some of you folks think that you need to develop some kind of special relationship with the help?

I don't understand this either. Besides a tip, I think most of the crew (help) would really appreciate just being treated with respect, and allowed to do their jobs. A kind word would probably go a long way too.

And what if he didn't love it?

Would he have acted differently? Of course not. He would act in an appreciative manner to avoid possibly offending you.

I agree, it is pretty odd.:rolleyes:

As you can see, I don't post often but when reading the post about "the help" I just had to. I worked as an RN for a vacation resort company, many years ago, I suppose I was "the help" - I had many long lasting relationships with people I met there - both staff and guests. Several former guests would call and/or visit my parents if they were in Vancouver. My parents loved this.

Now that my husband and I cruise whenever we can we have been fortunate to meet many terrific people who work for RCI. In addition to cash we will bring tshirts and ball caps from assorted NY teams - which are a big hit. We maintain email relationships as well.

I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life, that's one of the wonderful experiences that come with travelling. I can't imagine thinking of other human beings as "the help". I think with that attitude I would have missed out on getting to know some truly amazing people.

To the OP - go with what feels right for you. Everyone appreciates kindness and being made to feel special. Sounds like those feelings might have been lost for some here??

As you can see, I don't post often but when reading the post about "the help" I just had to. I worked as an RN for a vacation resort company, many years ago, I suppose I was "the help" - I had many long lasting relationships with people I met there - both staff and guests. Several former guests would call and/or visit my parents if they were in Vancouver. My parents loved this.

Now that my husband and I cruise whenever we can we have been fortunate to meet many terrific people who work for RCI. In addition to cash we will bring tshirts and ball caps from assorted NY teams - which are a big hit. We maintain email relationships as well.

I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life, that's one of the wonderful experiences that come with travelling. I can't imagine thinking of other human beings as "the help". I think with that attitude I would have missed out on getting to know some truly amazing people.

To the OP - go with what feels right for you. Everyone appreciates kindness and being made to feel special. Sounds like those feelings might have been lost for some here??

I don't think it is lost on anyone.

The point is if you were to ask someone that works on a cruise ship if they would rather have a trinket of a ny sports team that they may not even know or like or the money that shirt or hat costs, what do you think they would pick? If you tip extra at a land restaurant do you give the server a hat? No. You say susie did such a good job i will tip 20% instead of 15%, not leave her a random tee shirt. And for those that say they loved the gift, they will ALWAYS act like they like it. What other response would they give?

IMO I find it a tad condescending to give someone you don't know a trinket that they don't want or need. These aren't children, they are adults doing a job.

The Cabin Steward, The Waiter, The Head Waiter, the Assistant Waiter.

What do you want to call them?

How do you address them?

Treat them with kindness and respect. Give them gratuities.

But you have to admit that you really have no idea what they think of your gifts of ball caps and T shirts that they could buy on line should they desire one.

Part of their job is to keep you happy and that means graciously accepting anything you give them.

It's entirely possible that they look at your gifts as offensive trinkets that you might give to children.

You don't know what they think and I don't know what they think...

Hey, remember the line from the song "Piano Man", talking about the bartender.... "He's quick with a joke and to light up your smoke, but there's someplace that he'd rather be".

Think about it...

Did you ask ahead of time if the person liked Starbucks and, if they did, what their favorite drink was? I only drink one drink at Starbucks -- if someone brought me a different drink as a "gift" I might smile and say thanks. That does not mean that I would drink it, enjoy it or "love" it. Yes, I might give that impression to the person offering it to be nice. But to presume to think that I would know what the service personnel would like just seems odd. To me this is a much worse choice -- the cabin steward is put in a very awkward position. He could smile and accept the goodie bag then toss it in the garbage later. You forced him to drink something he may or may not have wanted then watched to see if he enjoyed it. I think that borders on rudeness, but that is just my opinion.

Archived