WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Almost every single post made by an American on any tipping thread in this forum:rolleyes:. In fact, I've read someone use a phrase something like "a bird flew overhead and called you "cheep"", all because someone asked for advice on what to do if they planned on not eating in the MDR...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

How do you know which posters are Americans!?!?!?!? I'm an American and never ever heard the phrase "a bird flew overhead and called you cheep." I can't even picture anyone I know (and I know lots) phrasing anything that way. Before you stereotype an entire people and state what you believe most "Americans" would say, it might be best to know what you're talking about.

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

We do the same. Maybe it's just me but I feel that paying them the "old fashioned" way with cash in an envelope is a more personal way to say thank you and that you appreciated their service.

If you hang around long enough you will see some really nasty, smart ass, hurtful, holier than thou, stuff being posted by some people here . (and yes maybe one or two from me on a bad day *LOL*) .

Love this!! Starting to like your postings more and more!!!

Anyone who admits they dish it out once in a while is alright in my book!!!:)

Love this!! Starting to like your postings more and more!!!

Anyone who admits they dish it out once in a while is alright in my book!!!:)

:) After almost 30 years at my job, a new supervisor told my boss. There is no one better at this job and he's a really good guy, but he can be difficult .

To which my boss said , "Hell he idles at difficult, between you and me , don't ever put him in gear' *LOL*

What does that tell ya?

I enjoy your posts too:)

We have always pre-paid T&G's, our service staff have always seemed happy and provided excellent service. In fact all staff encountered on all our cruises have been excellent, from check-in to GS to entertainment crew etc.

We have also given a little extra to our steward and servers on the last night, so not something that would influence their behaviour towards us during the cruise.

Any sensible request we have made has always been accomodated & DW loves towel animals :D

That's us. What others do is up to them. The only point I will make is that I was surprised to learn of and witness the last night avoidance of the MDR by many cruisers - guess they packed all their clothes in their luggage and ordered room service ;)

Happy cruising

I like Cuba a lot, this is their take. A CUC is about $1.1

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=34470

Come on guys even the Commies believe in tips :D.

Whenever I see people proudly thump their chests and say "I only tip for excellent service" I envision them not tipping unless they are carried around the ship on a sedan chair or have thier waiters hand feed them. :D

Those who say they remove the gratuities from the bill and prefer to tip in person (always with extra :rolleyes:) and don't stiff the staff, my guess is that they get a thrill out of people fawning over them with effusive thanks. :D

Whenever I see people proudly thump their chests and say "I only tip for excellent service" I envision them not tipping unless they are carried around the ship on a sedan chair or have thier waiters hand feed them. :D

Those who say they remove the gratuities from the bill and prefer to tip in person (always with extra :rolleyes:) and don't stiff the staff, my guess is that they get a thrill out of people fawning over them with effusive thanks. :D

I hope you are better at guessing at things that actually affect you when you guess wrong.;):)

I hope you are better at guessing at things that actually affect you when you guess wrong.;):)

If I was good at guessing I would have won the lottery long ago and be lounging in my private yacht anchored adjacent to all the common rabble on their cruise ships. :D

I spent a week in Rhode Island earlier this month. I want more stuffed quahogs!:)

Edited by Doug R.

WRONG!! My DW and I are very nice, humble people. We're extremely sympathetic to the often-times poverty-stricken home situations from which many of the employees come. I feel quite guilty when a waiter/waitress from an impoverished country takes away my plate that still has a fair amount of food on it! We like to remove the automatic tips and pay in cash so that there is no question that the employee sees 100% of that tip. Why do you think so many self-employed people in the service industry in the U.S. prefer to be paid in cash?

Apart from that, don't forget that a tip is called a tip for a reason! If you think it should be automatic even if your server/housekeeper is completely rude or doesn't do their basic job, then why not have RCCL just call it a service charge or just raise the overall cabin price? Do you all, on these boards, in your jobs, expect compensation beyond your basic pay for when you do sub-par work, or even when you do nothing beyond your basic job description? Some people on these boards are getting way too far away from the basic concept of a tip.

Edited by clark92fs

WRONG!! My DW and I are very nice, humble people. We're extremely sympathetic to the often-times poverty-stricken home situations from which many of the employees come. I feel quite guilty when a waiter/waitress from an impoverished country takes away my plate that still has a fair amount of food on it! We like to remove the automatic tips and pay in cash so that there is no question that the employee sees 100% of that tip. Why do you think so many self-employed people in the service industry in the U.S. prefer to be paid in cash?

Apart from that, don't forget that a tip is called a tip for a reason! If you think it should be automatic even if your server/housekeeper is completely rude or doesn't do their basic job, then why not have RCCL just call it a service charge or just raise the overall cabin price? Do you all, on these boards, in your jobs, expect compensation beyond your basic pay for when you do sub-par work, or even when you do nothing beyond your basic job description? Some people on these boards are getting way too far away from the basic concept of a tip.

I am glad I am not alone in this thinking. One reason why tips are better in cash than by other means is down to tax laws.

[/font][/color]

If you pay in cash the tip will be turned into the pool.

What a judgemental statement and certainly wrong in my case (I posted earlier that I had removed tips and paid cash). I wanted to be sure those who actually served us were the ones who got the cash. I would be very embarrassed if anyone started fawning over me, it would most certainly not be a "thrill".

Some of the posters on this forum enjoy attributing the basest of motives to the simple actions of others. That's where they seem to get their "thrills"

If you pay in cash the tip will be turned into the pool.

Not true. There is no way anyone knows who has been given cash or not. Even if tips are removed at guest services, this in no way indicates that the crew members have been given a penny. No one is turning out anyone's pockets. No one is being made to pay into a "pool" what they certainly haven't received.

There is no pool.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Yes, there are many on these boards that believe just that. I am not one of them. I believe in merit based pay - tips included. Equal compensation brings everyone down to the lowest common denominator and that is a job poorly done in most cases.

Gina

Do you all, on these boards, in your jobs, expect compensation beyond your basic pay for when you do sub-par work, or even when you do nothing beyond your basic job description?

I see your point. However, employees on cruise lines are hired based on the current system of compensation. And when you cruise, you do so with the understanding that the staff is largely compensated from tips.

I guess my opinion is slanted because we have never received anything but outstanding service in all of our cruises so I don't feel that the current system encourages mediocrity.

yes, there are many on these boards that believe just that. I am not one of them. I believe in merit based pay - tips included. Equal compensation brings everyone down to the lowest common denominator and that is a job poorly done in most cases.

Gina

*like*

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

I disagree with this - i am tipping for receiving good service and if I do not feel that i am getting this service why should I smile and reward them with money that I have worked hard to earn. If your job is to provide good customer service and you need tips to supplement your income then do just that - make me feel that I want to reward you. I have cruised 9 times and only once ( on a disney ship ) did i ask for my cabin attendants tips to be credited back.

Why - no introduction/welcome, dirty socks (not mine)under the bed, flip flops in the cupboard, old bottles of alchol (empty) under the couch, 7 days out of 11 had to get my own compass, asked for a dressing gown told to ring housekeeping myself, childs bed not put away, no toilet roll etc etc

So in that case really should i have tipped? :confused:

Come on guys even the Commies believe in tips .

Mea Culpa! :o Last sentence should have read in part ...some of them get a thrill out of... (Hey if Members of Congress can change what they say in the Congressional Record then I should be able to make a minor correction here. :D)

Sorry to those who were insulted. :)

The reality is that it's the comment cards that really encourage excellence. The ones with the abundance of best comments rise to the top. I've watched it happen many times over the years in many different areas. I'm sure others have, too.

I've decided after reading this thread that in the future when we aren't doing MTD that I will have all gratuities removed from our account and tip the old fashioned way like we used to. Cash! I want all of what we tip to go directly in their pocket. We don't even hand it to the stateroom attendant but leave it in an envelope on the bed.