WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

. There were 3

Topics that were Taboo. Never discuss SEX RELIGION or POLITICS

I know correcting peoples spelling/grammar etc is considered against forum etiquette, but I really think you need a comma between the word sex and the word religion, as the way it reads is a subject that is REALLY taboo :)

I was raised on the basis that you do not discuss Religion or Politics in the company of others, and I am thinking you are correct, that tipping needs to be added :)

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

EXCEPT - what happens to the quality of service when all crew gets the same tips no matter what?

Personally, I have on occasion removed tips from my room bill, and paid more in total in case. More, IN TOTAL. For example, I typical tip housekeeping and out waiter more; I typically tip the maître-de less.

//mjs

I'd better not post back - we'll have to send coded messages about our dark side date as I've just been told off by beachnative for posting too much !!! Aggghhhhh !!!

:eek:

LOL

I've been told off and lectured to quite often around here. You can see how it has not stopped me from voicing my thoughts or opinions!!:)

I think Ocean boy and I may be the founding supporters of loving the Jammer for dinner. I just love it when people post how much the food su#$@ in there!!:D

LOL

I've been told off and lectured to quite often around here. You can see how it has not stopped me from voicing my thoughts or opinions!!:)

I think Ocean boy and I may be the founding supporters of loving the Jammer for dinner. I just love it when people post how much the food su#$@ in there!!:D

Ha ha ha !

I like it as the food is nice and hot. Also the service in MDR seems to suck so much nowadays with a lot of servers that I can't be bothered sitting in the MDR getting frustrated.

I have worked as a tipped employee and as a salaried one.

I made far, far more when I worked minimum wage and was tipped. It is nice to be paid according to how hard you work and how well you treat people vs what the going salary rate is.

jmo :) When you are a tipped employee, you get what you give...kinda like life in general. :) Nothing degrading or inhumane about it.

Studies have shown that tips given to servers have little to do with how good the service was that was given.

Edited by Charles4515

What service charge?

The auto tips, at least on other cruise lines, are called a "service charge."

I think that's what my bill said on our recently completed RCCL cruise.

I'm not sure how it works on RCCL, but on NCL some of the service charge goes to people behind the scenes who do not ordinarily receive tips.

Service charge is a more accurate description. I do believe this is a large part of employee compensation. As others have said, it keeps the base price of the cruise down and we all benefit from that. I think that the recent addition of the service charge indicates some recalculation of crew compensation.

We give those who perform over and beyond expectations an extra tip. Others we do not as the autotip is sufficient.

Studies have shown that tips given to servers have little to do with how good the service was that was given.

Where were these studies conducted? America? Where tipping is considered so compulsory it's added to the bill, or considered a part of the budget of any meal out, where people who do not tip, or who tip less than the "standard" are considered "cheap"? In America tipping, or the lack of it seems to be instantly a reflection on the CUSTOMER and not the employee. Of course a study done in America would show the level of service is not reflected in the value of tips. I bet the same study conducted in any place where tipping its a bonus (Australia for example) will show that the number of tips is highly related to the level of service. Tips are only for exceptional service and definitely based on the employee, and not tipping certainly doesn't reflect badly on the customer...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Where were these studies conducted? America? Where tipping is considered so compulsory it's added to the bill, or considered a part of the budget of any meal out, where people who do not tip, or who tip less than the "standard" are considered "cheap"? In America tipping, or the lack of it seems to be instantly a reflection on the CUSTOMER and not the employee. Of course a study done in America would show the level of service is not reflected in the value of tips. I bet the same study conducted in any place where tipping its a bonus (Australia for example) will show that the number of tips is highly related to the level of service. Tips are only for exceptional service and definitely based on the employee, and not tipping certainly doesn't reflect badly on the customer...

Yes, they were studies in the US. Turns out good looking servers get more tips than others. Also whites more than blacks. And servers can say things that get higher tips. Writing a smily face on the bill gets a higher tip. All kinds of subjective reasons not related to the actual level of service.

As for the international aspect another study showed that countries with the most tipping were the most corrupt......

Yes, they were studies in the US. Turns out good looking servers get more tips than others. Also whites more than blacks. And servers can say things that get higher tips. Writing a smily face on the bill gets a higher tip. All kinds of subjective reasons not related to the actual level of service.

As for the international aspect another study showed that countries with the most tipping were the most corrupt......

not from us, it doesn't! We'd be more likely to take off for a smiley face on the bill.

It seems to me the consumer ends up paying for it no matter how you "slice" it. We either tip the workers - which adds to our bottom line cruise fare - or the tips are included in our fare. I think most mass market lines resist folding the tips into the fare as they fear less people will cruise and it will affect their bottom lines (and the bottom lines of all of the cruise workers).

not from us, it doesn't! We'd be more likely to take off for a smiley face on the bill.

I had prepaid gratuities in May on Allure, MTD, but they put so called WOW envelopes in the room in case we wanted to leave extra, and my cabin steward put a smiley face on his envelope. It did not fit his personality. Really not sincere. I saved the envelopes as a souvenir....

And we will pay more for the same meal in a non- tipping country.

Last year in Rome, just past the busy season, many of the restaurants were trying to drum up business with signs declaring, No service charge!!!!!" We also pay a higher price for sitting down with our coffee/wine/nibbles.

In the long run, it all evens out.

iMNSVHO, what you write about a staffer is more consequential than the amount you tip. It is what it is. Those who believe the cruise staff are being treated shabbily, as well as those convinced the cruise line doesn't give our gratuities to the staff ... well, maybe you should consider foregoing cruise vacations.

Our prepaid gratuity is about 5% of the fare. Big whoop.

And we will pay more for the same meal in a non- tipping country.

Last year in Rome, just past the busy season, many of the restaurants were trying to drum up business with signs declaring, No service charge!!!!!" We also pay a higher price for sitting down with our coffee/wine/nibbles.

In the long run, it all evens out.

iMNSVHO, what you write about a staffer is more consequential than the amount you tip. It is what it is. Those who believe the cruise staff are being treated shabbily, as well as those convinced the cruise line doesn't give our gratuities to the staff ... well, maybe you should consider foregoing cruise vacations.

Our prepaid gratuity is about 5% of the fare. Big whoop.

I noticed those restaurants in Rome with no service charge signs. My impression was those signs were to clue people in that they should tip at those restaurants. I believe a 10 per cent tip was customary at those that did not add a service charge.

Edited by Charles4515

I noticed those restaurants in Rome with no service charge signs. My impression was those signs were to clue people in that they should tip at those restaurants. I believe a 10 per cent tip was customary at those that did not add a service charge.

This was early November, and I believe it was to entice the thinning crowds. They were simply trying to get more business. Never saw that before this past year.

It's interesting to me that so many complain about onboard gratuities (including Americans), yet silently accept "mandatory" service charges at restaurants on land.

Since prepaid gratuities were instituted, I find myself tipping FAR more than ever.

By the end of a cruise, if I've gotten good service, I feel bad not leaving something -- I have no idea who really gets what behind the scenes -- so I bring envelopes and hand a top-off to my steward, wait staff, and any bartenders or servers who befriended me.

On my last cruise, the last night, I added a modest gratuity to the last drink I ordered because that server had served me all week. I couldn't believe how her face totally LIT UP with pleasure when she saw it. It made me think she wasn't feeling the love with the prepaid tips.

Bottom line is I'm now tipping about double what they recommend. But I've grown pretty loyal to RCI and if I ever encounter those crew members again, I want them to remember me fondly. :D

Why do you feel bad,Royal Caribbean seems very happy giving them fifty dollars a month and expecting us to pay their salary.I think twenty four Dollars a day is more then enough.You can spend your money as you like.Why should Royal pay them more.They have us to pay them. Have a great next cruise. By the way tips were added to every drink you brought all week. :)

Have you been to the United States?

Added to the bill? Really?