Indulgences, Splurges, and Must-Do's

N00B

A recent article I saw on cruise critic got me thinking.......

What are your favourite cruise indulgences. The things you don't normally do at home - money, calories, time, whatever - that simply "make" you cruise?

What are your favourite Princess Splurges? What are the fee-extra (or even little-know freebies) splurges that are worth their weight in gold to you? Those things that are worth every penny to you?

And of course the must-do's. Those experiences, photos, rituals, guilty pleasures, that you simply must-do whenever you are on a Princess cruise? Those thing that become touchstones of the experience for you, or the things you are simply dying to do again as soon as you get back onboard?

I must say, I like the way you put the question!

Almost every time I am on the Lido deck, I can't help grabbing a slice of pizza. I LOVE the Princess pepperoni pizza.

Heated stone chairs in the Lotus Thermal Suite. Tension-melting good. The staff gave us scented scrubbing salts on the way in. Mmmm, lavender.

We had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on our cruise this spring, enjoyed it so much that we will probably do that whenever we have a balcony. The best waitstaff are used, plus you get personal attention from the Dining Services management. The price is the same as you'd pay just for the cocktails+champagne+photo+flowers that are all included.

I used to never spring for the alternative dining, but did both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on our last cruise. It was definitely worth it for a nice evening out, (when I wasn't crazy about the MDR menu) and will probably do again on our next cruise. May try Ultimate Balcony Dinner next time.

I used to never spring for the alternative dining, but did both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on our last cruise. It was definitely worth it for a nice evening out, (when I wasn't crazy about the MDR menu) and will probably do again on our next cruise. May try Ultimate Balcony Dinner next time.

I'd second the recommendation for either of the specialty restaurants. Aside from our lunches, we only had dinner at the MDR once (the first formal night)--and it was fairly unremarkable, to say the least.

I don't know about "indulging" on the ship, but when I do eat a tad more than what normally at home I do, I try to "walk" it off by walking the length of the ship or steps.:)

We don't find a lot of people that do this now days, but we like to "dress to the 9's, especially for dinner.:) It is amazing the compliments I get when I am really dressed up, and we do this almost every evening, except the last night of the cruise. I know we may "look" out of place all dressed up, but we feel grate.:) As they say.......each to their own.

A recent article I saw on cruise critic got me thinking.......

What are your favourite cruise indulgences. The things you don't normally do at home - money, calories, time, whatever - that simply "make" you cruise?

What are your favourite Princess Splurges? What are the fee-extra (or even little-know freebies) splurges that are worth their weight in gold to you? Those things that are worth every penny to you?

And of course the must-do's. Those experiences, photos, rituals, guilty pleasures, that you simply must-do whenever you are on a Princess cruise? Those thing that become touchstones of the experience for you, or the things you are simply dying to do again as soon as you get back onboard?

The chef's table. Love it. I have never done the UBD but will on our cruise to Alaska.

We always start with a limo to the airport. Then on the night before the cruise, we book a very good hotel. On the cruise we always book a full suite, and eat at the specialty restaurants quite frequently during the cruise. We have premium wine, champagne, and cocktails while on the ship.

At the end of the cruise we never take shuttles, can't stand them, so we take a town car to our hotel.

We don't pinch any pennies at all on our cruises. It is a time for us to enjoy.

That is how we indulge.:)

I enjoy dining in the Crown Grill and I love the Sanctuary (depending on weather and itinerary.)

I try many different dishes and foods while on a cruise but only finish what's really good. I've never gained weight on a cruise; actually, I tend to lose because I eat more fruit and salads.

The cruise itself is our indulgence; neither of us is into lots of splurging on other stuff, though we certainly do eat more than normal.

We just like getting on and relaxing and seeing some amazing ports--and especially getting away from winter.

We always start with a limo to the airport. Then on the night before the cruise, we book a very good hotel. On the cruise we always book a full suite, and eat at the specialty restaurants quite frequently during the cruise. We have premium wine, champagne, and cocktails while on the ship.

At the end of the cruise we never take shuttles, can't stand them, so we take a town car to our hotel.

We don't pinch any pennies at all on our cruises. It is a time for us to enjoy.

That is how we indulge.:)

Sounds exactly like I do (but then I wake up from my dream)

We don't find a lot of people that do this now days, but we like to "dress to the 9's, especially for dinner.:)

I too love to 'dress' for dinner especially for formal nights since we never have the opportunity to dress up anymore at home. I don't "dress to the 9's" but do look forward to changing into something nice in the evening.

I am 64Husky on Dawgman. Wife considers me overzealous supporter of the Huskies. We are coming up from Southern Cal for BSU game/stadium opening.

Just happened to drop by. We are on the Royal leaving Venice on the 5th of July.

Having 3 or 4 course dinners every night!!

I'm actually one of those people that loose weight on a cruise. Think it is because have breakfast every day, but no junkfood/snacks at night and do a lot of walking. So you could call that a healthy indulgence:p

My other indulgence is spoiling my mother with a spa treatment or even the cruise itself. Next indulgence is gifting a cruise for my sister (if she does not pike out).

Coming up is first cruise for DH, we work together all the time in our business, so the indulgence is to just have time out and see eachother in a more personal way. My extra indulgence for that cruise is the addition of 3 days in Venice. :)Life is good for cruisers:)

I learned the hard way some years ago that if there is something I REALLY want to do, I shouldn't let the price deter me (just save up for it). We were on the Big Island in Hawaii and I had seen helicopter tours over the volcano, but the price freaked me out, so we passed. Got home and saw a show on the Travel Channel about that very company and saw what I had missed and was heart-broken. Learned my lesson. So I will do the excursions that really speak to me as long as the price isn't totally outlandish. Life is short.

The cruise itself is our indulgence; neither of us is into lots of splurging on other stuff, though we certainly do eat more than normal.

We just like getting on and relaxing and seeing some amazing ports--and especially getting away from winter.

Ditto

The DW hits the spa a couple of times. Me, it's trying different foods and finding a place with good live music. I find a good seat order a drink, relax and enjoy :D. Some thing else we do is go for a walk on the promenade deck every night after dinner.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a must only because I get a least 2 or 3 "get out of the dog house tickets" for it.

I try to watch my weight on a cruise but those stupid dirty banana drinks don't help one bit.

I took that ship tour that was very expensive but worth it.

I learned the hard way some years ago that if there is something I REALLY want to do, I shouldn't let the price deter me (just save up for it). We were on the Big Island in Hawaii and I had seen helicopter tours over the volcano, but the price freaked me out, so we passed. Got home and saw a show on the Travel Channel about that very company and saw what I had missed and was heart-broken. Learned my lesson. So I will do the excursions that really speak to me as long as the price isn't totally outlandish. Life is short.

Agree, to a point. At the least, when we visit an interesting and/or new (to us) port, we generally plan to spend all day off the ship either on the most comprehensive full-day tour we can find, or a half day tour plus a half day ashore on our own. Shipboard activities and resting can be done some other time. Admittedly, some discretion is necessary on port-intensive cruises to interesting new areas, where we need to slow down somewhat after 2 or 3 consecutive busy days ashore.

John

I enjoy the afternoon tea, especially the scones. If we have a balcony, I like to take a book out there and read until the sea mesmerizes me, or just sit and look out at the seemingly endless ocean.

We also walk the promenade regularly, although often during the day, and buy a posed photo as a cruise souvenir.

We always plan to look for one special item to purchase on a cruise instead of a lot of t shirts, knick knacks and other junk sold all over the port areas.

In Florence, for example, we bought exquisite 18 karat hoop earrings. In Venice? a lovely handmade mask, Aruba? delft candlesticks, etc.

I don't need to buy a lot of stuff but when I do, I want it to be special.

Archived