Indulgences, Splurges, and Must-Do's

N00B

I think it's the excursions for me. We have tried to cut back because sometimes we feel we are overbooking ourselves and it can feel hectic and were not as relaxed at the end of the trip. But, if it's something I really want to do I don't think about the cost. When we get our bill at the end of the cruise my husband always says we brought a third person.

The other indulgence is we order fresh flowers for our room. Just something to remind us we are on vacation.

I learned the hard way some years ago that if there is something I REALLY want to do, I shouldn't let the price deter me (just save up for it). We were on the Big Island in Hawaii and I had seen helicopter tours over the volcano, but the price freaked me out, so we passed. Got home and saw a show on the Travel Channel about that very company and saw what I had missed and was heart-broken. Learned my lesson. So I will do the excursions that really speak to me as long as the price isn't totally outlandish. Life is short.

We did that a few years back! We did the one in the small helicopter with the doors off, so it was really spectacular, and I hope you'll get to do it sooner or later too. :)

Our indulgence is booking a mini suite instead of a balcony cabin. We love the extra space and the larger bathroom.

We don't do much shopping, spa, we don't gamble, we rarely go to shows or nightclubs. We do love to spend time on the balcony so it's well worth it to us.

We do enjoy the specialty restaurants at least 2 nights out of a 7 night cruise. The last 2 cruises, we went on formal nights...such a relief to not have to participate in "formal", although we do dress nicely we can leave the suit and fancy dresses at home.

No grocery shopping. No cooking. No dishes to wash. No vacuuming or dusting. No washing or ironing. No telephone calls to make or answer. The kind of freedom one doesn't get at home. And all the friends we make onboard.

No grocery shopping. No cooking. No dishes to wash. No vacuuming or dusting. No washing or ironing. No telephone calls to make or answer. The kind of freedom one doesn't get at home. And all the friends we make onboard.

Very well put!!

All the wonderful people we meet. Starting with the Roll Call. We often have dinner with people the night before we board. Also, all the people we meet around the ship, at meals, trivia, lectures, excursions, etc.

A recent article I saw on cruise critic got me thinking.......

What are your favourite cruise indulgences. The things you don't normally do at home - money, calories, time, whatever - that simply "make" you cruise?

What are your favourite Princess Splurges? What are the fee-extra (or even little-know freebies) splurges that are worth their weight in gold to you? Those things that are worth every penny to you?

And of course the must-do's. Those experiences, photos, rituals, guilty pleasures, that you simply must-do whenever you are on a Princess cruise? Those thing that become touchstones of the experience for you, or the things you are simply dying to do again as soon as you get back onboard?

I always go to the Crown Grill or Sterling Steakhouse at least once a cruise. I also have a hamburger and fries from the Trident Grill once a cruise. I'm not sure why but I don't tend to go out for steak dinners or eat hamburgers and fries at home. These always feel like a great treat.

I also do the line dancing classes every cruise. I don't go line dancing at home but I truly enjoy the experience while cruising.

A ritual I have in the early mornings is that I will go up to Lido and grab a small snack, go down and get a specialty coffee and then sit out on the promenade deck with my coffee and a book for awhile. I find it a great way for me to start my day. Another ritual is having a Mucho Mango drink during sail away. I don't typically drink fruity drinks but there is just something so right to me about having one in hand during sail away.

The cruise is our indulgence. ;) After 30 years cruising and fishing on our own boats, we can relax and let Princess fill the fuel tanks, take us where we want to go and then dock the boat.:D

If your ship has one in the Lotus Spa they have this amazing (what I will call, because I can't remember the actual name) hydro bed, it literally feels like you are floating. Worth every penny of the cost!

+1 for the afternoon tea, that scone with butter and jelly is so good!

+1 for the balcony, never cruise without one!

I've never gained weight on a cruise; actually, I tend to lose because I eat more fruit and salads.

Oh Pam, I wish I could say the same was true for me. But that chocolate mousse from the IC gets me every cruise!

Add that to the list too!

+1 for the afternoon tea, that scone with butter and jelly is so good!

+1 for the balcony, never cruise without one!

Make that another +1 on these.

- The balcony is definitely a splurge that makes the cruise for us. Watching the ocean is peaceful and relaxing

- The balcony breakfast during Glacier Bay was really worth it!

- Flowers for an anniversary or DW's birthday.

- Enjoying dinner rolls and butter, and desserts, too. (We take physically active excursions, and just walking all over the ship keeps us from gaining weight.)

- Dancing and/or listening to live music

- We've decorated rooms of our house with Princess Art.

- Using up every penny of OBC we've earned or were given! ;)

We love our balcony -coffee early in the morning-sailing into or away from ports-sun wine and the sea views late afternoons-the moon and sea breezes at night.We don't spend all our time there but make the most of when we do ,it always adds to the cruise.

I love the Caribe balcony for coffee in the AM. Love the Crown Grill and we also did the Chef Table which was incredible.

I think my next indulgence will be a mini suite if we do a cruise longer than 7-10 days. I need to find a ship that has the large deck (half covered) like Caribe with a mini-suite. Any suggestions?

I don't know about "indulging" on the ship, but when I do eat a tad more than what normally at home I do, I try to "walk" it off by walking the length of the ship or steps.:)

We don't find a lot of people that do this now days, but we like to "dress to the 9's, especially for dinner.:) It is amazing the compliments I get when I am really dressed up, and we do this almost every evening, except the last night of the cruise. I know we may "look" out of place all dressed up, but we feel grate.:) As they say.......each to their own.

Your are not alone, we too enjoy dressing for dinner, seems to be a lost art among the young (we are 80 and 66) so we do what pleases us the most.

We start by spending the night before the cruise in a nice hotel. We always book a mini suite. During the cruise we also eat a number of times in the specialty restaurants. My special treat is trying the creative martinis on the ship. Yummy!

After reading these posts I want to get on my ship right now. Luckily it's only 6 weeks away.

Love my balcony whether it's for reading, sipping wine or just looking at the water. We splurge on the UBB. We've done it in Alaska and will be doing it again in the Norwegian Fjords in August.

I have a ring from Santorini, a beautiful necklace from Ez, another ring from Ketchikan...need I say more.

Archived