I feel like a victim, not a customer.

wvufan

Once I have booked a cruise, I pay no attention to prices. I understand that I may be paying more than other people; however, I have the benefit of having secured a cabin/stateroom that I want. I suspect that a lot of people enjoy the game of looking for better deals, and that is fine with them. I have never felt victimized; on the contrary, I have had the benefit of sometimes being upgraded for no extra charge, and I think these upgrades could more likely happen to folk who are early bookers.

Good point about the upgrades. We were once moved from an inside cabin to cabin 6019 on the Infinity-one of the largest oceanviews anywhere.

We have always been early bookers (over 25 cruises). In the old days before they put a cut off on honoring price decreases, we got some great deals. For example, we had a 15 night canal cruise in an oceanview cabin on the Mercury for about $800 each. We have had week long Bermuda cruises for a little over $400. Many times prices have gone up after we booked. Such is supply and demand. We have usually done very well by booking early, but are now considering trying a different tack.

I don't resent price decreases to sell cabins-only the timing.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I feel, think, don't really know, but in the big picture it don't really matter no ways :)

That old supply and demand thing has reversed it's self. Used to be, book early, big supply, get the best price. This still happens at times. But now with the number of beds to fill and more on the way it is reversing. As game time gets closer and there are still to many unsold seats to lift the black out, ( this is just a play on words, or an example, or whatever for you ad folks out there ) they drop their drawer's :) to get us off the fence and onto a ship. Timing? Only the bean counters in every business really know if it is effecent or not.

General Motors tried the one price thing with Saturn, poof! I know the product stunk and had weak sales, same concept tho. Two neighbor's, both just bought new trucks 3 weeks apart, one got a $2000 bigger rebate, boy is the other one upset. There is no simple answer, a lot of sailings have 30 to 50% return pax!

Ok, I have to mow the yard before I head to the office to do price markdowns on overstocked product, and hope my customers that bought yesterday don't see my ad in the paper :D

Works both ways. Our cruise in November is now almost $500.00 per person higher than what we paid many months ago and we got the 123 Promo drink package, as well.

Honestly, we have only seen a price reduction once in over 20 cruises! We'll continue to book early and get a decent price on our airfare.

Vent time.

Bob and Phyl

We feel your pain, not only from Celebrity's pricing policies but also from the replies of other posters. An insulting remark or sarcastic reply certainly does not contribute to a perceived problem or issue that a poster wishes to raise.

We have also changed our booking pattern when Celebrity's pricing policy changed.

I wish that Celebrity would introduce an insurance policy that, for an extra premium, passengers would have access to free upgrades or onboard credits if prices drop after final payment. It would encourage more early bookings and should raise revenue.

Of course prices go up or down all the time. If you wait to book, you may not get a great deal and you might not sail (ship is full). You may also wait and get a great deal if the ship hasn't sold well. It can happen both ways. I've booked both ways. Booking way in advance lets you select a cabin in a favorable location. Last minute bookings have cabins that may not be in a good location. It is a gamble. In either case, book a cruise at a price that works for you. Do NOT look at prices again after the final payment. It could make you angry. Also, never ask or tell anyone what you paid for your cruise. It will only make one of you angry. Just relax and enjoy the cruise.

Vent time.

After 27 credits (and two more cruises booked), you would think that I would feel like a valued and loyal customer. :rolleyes:

Well, maybe if they quit playing irritating pricing games. I understand that prices may go down after final payment depending on inventory. But, substantial reductions the day after final payment is due does nothing more than antagonize those who have already booked and make us feel like saps.

Further, such reductions tend to dissuade future early bookings, which is bad business. If they can lock in a booking early, there is a good chance that the people will keep the booking and sail as scheduled. If folks have some flexibility and decide to wait and roll the dice, it is more likely they will find a different cruise-perhaps with another line. I actually looked at an NCL cruise for next year-never would have done that previously, and found a very cheap Alaska/West coast/canal combination.

And I'm not even getting into the silly and confusing Let's Make a Deal games they play with 123, booking on board, gift card, stockholder, open booking, and other programs.

There is still enough good about Celebrity to keep me coming back, but it sure ain't a warm fuzzy feeling any more.

Happy Sails to You

We are now on the wait and see pricing plan. I have no strong need for a specific cabin, thus will wait till within 90 days to book primarily as you stated that there is no loyalty for early booking and/or in many cases dumb to commit and not get the cheaper rates.

The only downside I can see is that airfares, if you have to fly, tend to rise as you get closer to sail date, but for us, there is a good amount of choices of flights/airlines.

I have never understood why you want people to book early and often and then do not protect them. To be fair, you cannot go 'nuts' as there are many price swings during the approx. 24 months from opening booking to sailing.

Anyway, we wish Celebrity the best, and hope to continue to sail with Celebrity and Royal, but in the end, they are looking out for their bottom line and we must also look out for our!

I don't appreciate my comments being characterized as "whining."

I started this thread to address only the effects of substantially reducing prices immediately after final payment-not to open another philosophical thread about early versus late booking.

Seems, though, that the thread has taken a different direction. I have been lectured, admonished, illuminated, and insulted. I actually had someone inform me that cruise lines are in business to make money-what a revelation! What would we do without these self appointed voices of reason and keepers of all knowledge :rolleyes:.

I have no problems whatsoever with price fluctuations-only the timing of big drops the day after final payment. happy 2 b cruising gets it.

Happy sails to you

You have every right to feel upset by the huge price drops so please don't let others tell you otherwise. And as you already know, there is already a lonnnnnnnnng thread going on this very subject but just to recap my feelings for you here: the supply and demand balance for the most popular cruise itineraies has been out of whack for several months now, and favors the customer who books after final payment. In many cases, that customer will pay less than half of early bookers so the lessen is to book early to cover your bases, track the pricing and supply situation, and if necessary and likely, cancel and rebook after final payment when the fire sale happens.

Once I have booked a cruise, I pay no attention to prices. I understand that I may be paying more than other people; however, I have the benefit of having secured a cabin/stateroom that I want. I suspect that a lot of people enjoy the game of looking for better deals, and that is fine with them. I have never felt victimized; on the contrary, I have had the benefit of sometimes being upgraded for no extra charge, and I think these upgrades could more likely happen to folk who are early bookers.
Unfortunately, the reality is that you are more likely to get free upgrades because you overpaid. I would much rather book a guarantee at half the price of others for the same category, and pay the incremental differences to upgrade myself. With this strategy, one can end up in Concierge class, Aqua class or even a suite for less than what most early bookers pay for their regular verandahs!

The only downside I can see is that airfares, if you have to fly, tend to rise as you get closer to sail date, but for us, there is a good amount of choices of flights/airlines.

From my experience, your cruise booking window works well for the lowest airfare. Especially if you live near a major hub (Atlanta in your case), often there are airfare sales around 3-4 months out anyhow. Once you are inside of 30-45 days out, then it is really hard to score low airfare. But for cruisers working that 75 day final payment window, I find it's perfect for low airfare!

I have never understood why you want people to book early and often and then do not protect them. To be fair, you cannot go 'nuts' as there are many price swings during the approx. 24 months from opening booking to sailing.

The irony is that under the current cruise booking and payment policy, early bookers are protected! All of your deposits or payments are 100% refundable up to 75 days prior to sailing! The problem, and the lesson that needs to be learned by most here, is that most people here are too timid and fail to cancel their original booking! The cruise lines nearly always raise their prices slowly approaching final payment--I believe to give the customer the illusion that they should keep their booking. Then after final payment, it's POOF and prices drop like a brick. So the lesson is: book early if you want (nothing lost by doing so), but follow the supply and demand diligently, be prepared to cancel that early booking, and rebook after final payment! You can have your cake and eat it too, but you must be diligent and act.

When I first started cruising there would be people bragging about how little they spent. At first it bothered me, but at some point I realized that no matter what happens I should not make a decision to do something unless I will be happy with the out come.

So, now I don't worry about it after the final payment date. As long as I am okay with what I paid then I stop worrying about it. Also, sometimes prices go up instead of down or only crappy cabins are left.

We have also gotten upgraded on RCCL a few times $$ because they wanted to sell the lower cabins to fill the ship.

Someone mentioned how high prices are because of the 123 promotion but I don't see it. We just booked 4 concierge cabins for late February for about $1,100 each including all taxes and fees. But, we got a $150 OBC and a classic drink package for 2 at no cost ($700 per couple if purchased separately) which nets out the price to around $675 pp for the week.

Someone mentioned how high prices are because of the 123 promotion but I don't see it. We just booked 4 concierge cabins for late February for about $1,100 each including all taxes and fees. But, we got a $150 OBC and a classic drink package for 2 at no cost ($700 per couple if purchased separately) which nets out the price to around $675 pp for the week.
I'm not sure why someone thought that prices are/were high due as early booking pricing has pretty much remained the same. Promotions are introduced by the cruise lines to fuel sales without lowering fares -- especially before final payment when they would have to refund fare differences for all those existing bookings.

I realize that cruise lines have to fill ships, are in business to make a profit, and I definitely understand the point that the ships cannot just drop prices substantially right before final booking as it would be a re-booking nightmare. At the same time, it would be nice to be able to upgrade your cabin after final booking if the prices drop significantly. Conceivably, this could be offered as a Captains Club perk for certain levels, if doing so for all would still be a customer service nightmare. This would allow early bookers to feel they were not being stiffed, while at the same time their original cabins would be available for sale so the cruise line would still be making money.

But as has been said, this price drop scenario does not always pan out. I have been on numerous cruises where the price after final booking was way high, with many categories at or nearly sold out. Add to that the fact that many of the rooms still available were either the higher level suites (that many cannot afford regardless of price drops) or rooms in much less desirable locations (which may or may not matter to someone). Couple that risk with the airline prices and unless one lives within a drive-able distance and has date flexibility it just is not worth it to wait, at least on the cruises I sail.

Last thought - wondering if significant price drops after final payment dates are really all that common? I am not saying they are not - I am wondering. What have other people experienced? I have occasionally seen drops, but not what I would consider 'significant'. Most often I see higher prices than what I paid. Curious as to others' experiences? Have you often seen significant drops after final payment? (and what do you consider 'significant'?).

Well now I am on Bob's side of the issue but with a different product. Got done mowin the yard, cleaned up and was knoting the tie. The wifester was sitting on the couch with the grocery ad in hand with that 'LOOK' on her face. After 32 yrs I know the "L:mad::mad:K" so I had to ask, 'whats up honey?'

Darn Safeway! ( we did all our July 4th shoping last Sunday to avoide the rush this week ) they have hot dogs on sale BOGO, and if you buy mustard, ketchup, and mayo on the same check you get a pound of ground beef free, and a loaf of bread for 99 cents. OK, so just take your reciept to the service desk and get it fixed, cant, not good on previous purchases. So go to Kroger next time, nope, dont like their meat, and they dont double and triple coupons or have double gas reward points. I can see it now, one of these days the fridge will be empty cause we are waiting fo the right sale ad to hit the porch.

From my experience, your cruise booking window works well for the lowest airfare. Especially if you live near a major hub (Atlanta in your case), often there are airfare sales around 3-4 months out anyhow. Once you are inside of 30-45 days out, then it is really hard to score low airfare. But for cruisers working that 75 day final payment window, I find it's perfect for low airfare!

The irony is that under the current cruise booking and payment policy, early bookers are protected! All of your deposits or payments are 100% refundable up to 75 days prior to sailing! The problem, and the lesson that needs to be learned by most here, is that most people here are too timid and fail to cancel their original booking! The cruise lines nearly always raise their prices slowly approaching final payment--I believe to give the customer the illusion that they should keep their booking. Then after final payment, it's POOF and prices drop like a brick. So the lesson is: book early if you want (nothing lost by doing so), but follow the supply and demand diligently, be prepared to cancel that early booking, and rebook after final payment! You can have your cake and eat it too, but you must be diligent and act.

Canceling that early booking may work - but not if you use certain mass online cruise agencies that charge $100 or more pp for canceling. It may negate the savings, and definitely will if the price does not drop. Following supply and demand is certainly a consideration, but there is always the outside chance (admittedly not large) that a few last minute group bookings, or a sudden surge in bookings, will change the landscape in a flash. So I respectfully suggest that timidity does not have anything to do with it. It is all about what level of risk you are willing to take -- and possibly able to take - many of us have to plan vacations around work schedules, school schedules, etc., and have to stay with one particular week or don't go. If not for our 'timidity' we could end up paying through the nose or staying home - not a risk I would prefer to take.

And finally, you are also subject to losing out on specials that in the end may have been a better deal than a post-final payment booking. Many of these specials are for new bookings only, and cruise lines are getting wise about people canceling and re-booking for these reasons. Having read these boards a lot I know sometimes it works and you are able to get your special, but often it does not. Treading carefully in those waters is good judgment, not timidity IMHO.:)

When I first started cruising there would be people bragging about how little they spent. At first it bothered me, but at some point I realized that no matter what happens I should not make a decision to do something unless I will be happy with the out come.

If a person is going to let the fact that someone paid less affect their enjoyment of the cruise, they are always going to be miserable. All cruises have a few comped staterooms where people, for one reason or another, got the room for free. It could be PR, a bonus for some service provided, free accommodations for organizing a large group, or reimbursement for a past cruise that had problems. Someone will ALWAYS be paying less than you did unless you got it for free. Why even set oneself up for disappointment by focusing on who paid what. Just book when you are comfortable with the price and enjoy yourselves.

Just like everything else you purchase, at some time or another someone will buy that product for less than you did. It might be while it is on sale, it is being cleared out, the purchaser is using loyalty credits, or any number of reasons. I purchased my most recent car just after the beginning of the model year. Some people paid much less at the end of model year during clearance sales. I didn't get upset or complain. It's the way life is.

Not sure of your logic. If canceling the original booking, you do potentially lose your original cabin which is one of if not main reason for booking early. Obviously, the marketing draw of potential lower price too.

So with your suggestion, you do have to completely cancel the booking prior to final payment whether it is 90 or 75 days. Then, you have to wait to see if the cruise line puts all those returned/released cabins on a 'sale' special.

You could cancel and then not see a huge reduction in price, thus leaving you with a higher price and potential for less desired cabin. Not all price reduction sales happen within seconds of you canceling your booking.

For sure you do have to act, cancel the original booking. For sure you have to act, by monitoring after final payment sales pricing offers. For sure you do have to rebook unless I am missing something. For sure you have to be diligent in doing the above AND hope you have guessed the right way.

I have seen on certain sailings, no cabins available then quite a few open up after final payment date. No clue as to how many and I know Celebrity is pretty sharp and have algorithms to help them in pricing based on lot of variables.

Personally, I do not have a problem with lower prices at the end. I understand the "game" and thus can play either 'black' or 'red'. I can book early and take my chances or book late and take my chances. I do not see how I can do both as you suggest. I do not see how you know what will happen after final payment so as to make an informed decision to cancel the original booking.

If you do know, I can assure you all of us want to know the specifics!

Last thought - wondering if significant price drops after final payment dates are really all that common? I am not saying they are not - I am wondering. What have other people experienced? I have occasionally seen drops, but not what I would consider 'significant'. Most often I see higher prices than what I paid. Curious as to others' experiences? Have you often seen significant drops after final payment? (and what do you consider 'significant'?).

I'm one of those fastidious types who monitor everything related to my cruises, including prices, even up until departure date. Of the dozen or so cruises we have taken, prices after final payment have mostly stayed fairly close to the price just before. One cruise it dropped about 20%, and on two it rose a few %. Most were within a couple hundred dollars of the price before final payment. We have booked many months early, and a few weeks before sail date. I don't consider either method better or worse in my case.

I realize that cruise lines have to fill ships, are in business to make a profit, and I definitely understand the point that the ships cannot just drop prices substantially right before final booking as it would be a re-booking nightmare. At the same time, it would be nice to be able to upgrade your cabin after final booking if the prices drop significantly. Conceivably, this could be offered as a Captains Club perk for certain levels, if doing so for all would still be a customer service nightmare. This would allow early bookers to feel they were not being stiffed, while at the same time their original cabins would be available for sale so the cruise line would still be making money.

But as has been said, this price drop scenario does not always pan out. I have been on numerous cruises where the price after final booking was way high, with many categories at or nearly sold out. Add to that the fact that many of the rooms still available were either the higher level suites (that many cannot afford regardless of price drops) or rooms in much less desirable locations (which may or may not matter to someone). Couple that risk with the airline prices and unless one lives within a drive-able distance and has date flexibility it just is not worth it to wait, at least on the cruises I sail.

I've posted several times on the Huge Price Drop thread so I'll be brief. In Nov. we booked a July cruise for $989/person, in Dec. the price dropped to $839. We received the price reduction. In June, after final payment, the price dropped to $449, and during the Solstice sale to $349 for the cabins adjacent to ours. I consider any drop around $1000 very significant.

FWIW I view this thread as "feedback" for the cruise line, not whining! From my experience the "fair" price for our cruise is somewhere between $989 and $349 w/o all the perks.

BTW Thank you, Terpnut, for your valuable insights and suggestions.

I did not notice a huge price drop if you are talking about the September 7, 2013 cruise.

I only noticed Insides came down $100 per person. At least that's all that came up when I put in my "dummy" booking.

Is there some kind of resident discount also?

I have been monitoring the price of insides. I learned my lesson last year and will not book a cruise until after final payment because we really don't care about cabin and usually ALWAYS book insides.

I have suggested your thought about price protection being a Captain's Club perk to Celebrity. Did not hear back from them other than thanking me for my correspondence. :rolleyes:

I've learned to book low and look to upgrade after final payment. Use the system to my advantage. Book and OV and look for better after final payment. In January, we upgraded from a cat 4 to a Suite gty. Just $400. Well worth the risk. For our November cruise we booked a RCI promenade cabin. We just make sure we buy the minimum we can live with if things don't go our way.

They change the system, live and learn.

If they remove the upgrade ability, I'll wait until after final payment to book and book from a port with more than one cruise line and ship sailing.

Canceling that early booking may work - but not if you use certain mass online cruise agencies that charge $100 or more pp for canceling. It may negate the savings, and definitely will if the price does not drop. Following supply and demand is certainly a consideration, but there is always the outside chance (admittedly not large) that a few last minute group bookings, or a sudden surge in bookings, will change the landscape in a flash. So I respectfully suggest that timidity does not have anything to do with it. It is all about what level of risk you are willing to take -- and possibly able to take - many of us have to plan vacations around work schedules, school schedules, etc., and have to stay with one particular week or don't go. If not for our 'timidity' we could end up paying through the nose or staying home - not a risk I would prefer to take.

And finally, you are also subject to losing out on specials that in the end may have been a better deal than a post-final payment booking. Many of these specials are for new bookings only, and cruise lines are getting wise about people canceling and re-booking for these reasons. Having read these boards a lot I know sometimes it works and you are able to get your special, but often it does not. Treading carefully in those waters is good judgment, not timidity IMHO.:)

Perhaps I should not have used the word "timid" as some may find it insulting or take that personally, but timidity merely means "low" on the scale of risk tolerance. And I submit that most people are risk averse especially in the absence of information that would help them make a better decision. The problem is that the risk is often relatively low in reality.

Not sure of your logic. If canceling the original booking, you do potentially lose your original cabin which is one of if not main reason for booking early. Obviously, the marketing draw of potential lower price too.

So with your suggestion, you do have to completely cancel the booking prior to final payment whether it is 90 or 75 days. Then, you have to wait to see if the cruise line puts all those returned/released cabins on a 'sale' special.

You could cancel and then not see a huge reduction in price, thus leaving you with a higher price and potential for less desired cabin. Not all price reduction sales happen within seconds of you canceling your booking.

For sure you do have to act, cancel the original booking. For sure you have to act, by monitoring after final payment sales pricing offers. For sure you do have to rebook unless I am missing something. For sure you have to be diligent in doing the above AND hope you have guessed the right way.

I have seen on certain sailings, no cabins available then quite a few open up after final payment date. No clue as to how many and I know Celebrity is pretty sharp and have algorithms to help them in pricing based on lot of variables.

Personally, I do not have a problem with lower prices at the end. I understand the "game" and thus can play either 'black' or 'red'. I can book early and take my chances or book late and take my chances. I do not see how I can do both as you suggest. I do not see how you know what will happen after final payment so as to make an informed decision to cancel the original booking.

If you do know, I can assure you all of us want to know the specifics!

Cabin selection when booking early is only beneficial if the best that can be had later is perhaps a guarantee in that same category. What if you you knew you had a high probably of upgrading to guarantees at one or more categories higher after final payment? For me anyhow, a Concierge class, Aqua class or suite guarantee at the same or lower price is still way better than the best hand-picked regular balcony stateroom. And to repeat, "risk" is manageable as long as you do your homework and track things carefully. As previously stated, it was nearly 100% foreseeable that this season's many Med cruises would go on fire sale immediately after final payment. There was little risk involved yet many people (those that start these threads) failed to act prior to final payment. I don't blame them nor am I trying to embarrass anyone but they were either too timid or simply did not know enough to act. So the purpose of these threads is to inform people of what are real and what are perceived risks, let them know what is going on with stateroom supply and demand situation, and then let people make their own (hopefully better) informed decisions.
I'm one of those fastidious types who monitor everything related to my cruises, including prices, even up until departure date. Of the dozen or so cruises we have taken, prices after final payment have mostly stayed fairly close to the price just before. One cruise it dropped about 20%, and on two it rose a few %. Most were within a couple hundred dollars of the price before final payment. We have booked many months early, and a few weeks before sail date. I don't consider either method better or worse in my case.
Which specific dozen or so cruises are you monitoring? If you have been following peak season cruises (i.e. Caribbean, summer Europe, etc.) for the past several months, you will know that many sailings experienced massive price drops after final payment. My main message is that, whereever the cruise lines have moved their ships for peak season (again I'm talking specifically Caribbean or Europe here), there has been massive over-capacity, poor sales and thus huge fire sales after final payment. So using my strategy, you are more likely to keep your early booking, and less likely to rebook after final payment for repositioning, shoulder season or exotic itineraries with limited competition.

Archived