Repositioning Cruise - What's so special about them?

Ramrac

I have never done a repositioning cruise but I would love to do one because the prices are usually very reasonable. Plus we love days at sea and there are usually more days at sea than ports

When we booked our cruise in April on the Sunshine for December 8. It was $879 per person for a balcony for 7 days. We could have done the repositioning cruise from Europe to New Orleans that is in early November for $929.00 for 16 day cruise. We didn't want to have to fly to Italy.

You can't beat the prices of a repositioning cruise

They tend to be priced very well, and they are almost always unique itineraries. I would say those are the main reasons people find them so appealing.

Also with airfare they way it is, sometime you can find cheaper 1 way tickets then roundtrips

Ive seen them for $299 and $399 for 14 days. Lots of cruise days for the money. The downside is the cost to fly home.

I dont know a lot of people who like them except for the price. There are ways to get around the flight one way prices.. book both a spring and a fall TA and use the round trip flight that way.

They are often about twice as cheap per day as a regular cruise.

Thanks everyone! That is what I noticed too was the price. This is for the Pride on November 30, 2014 repositioning to San Juan before her big move to Tampa. It hits all of the Southern Caribbean ports that I would normally have to fly into and out of San Juan. It's going to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. For a balcony it would only cost us $519 pp, there will be 4 of us.

I have never done a repositioning cruise but I would love to do one because the prices are usually very reasonable. Plus we love days at sea and there are usually more days at sea than ports

When we booked our cruise in April on the Sunshine for December 8. It was $879 per person for a balcony for 7 days. We could have done the repositioning cruise from Europe to New Orleans that is in early November for $929.00 for 16 day cruise. We didn't want to have to fly to Italy.

Not that it matters, but you would have had to fly to Barcelona Spain, not Italy for the Sunshine Transatlantic/repositioning cruise in November, but I get what you meant.

That said, we are doing that cruise in large part because of all the sea days, and cost. We're not in a balcony, but in a cabin type we like..The cruise cost with one way airfare to Barcelona is just over the cost mentioned for a balcony. Now...airfare from NOLA back home...not so good..but overall cost of the entire trip...can't beat it.

Usually these cruises don't have many children because of their length and when they occur and they don't feel crowded.

That is good to know. We will have our two sons with us, 8 and 3, so less crowds would be nice, but hope they wouldn't be the only kids in camp.

I live in NY so I can hop on a ship and go south for 8 days and only fly one way. It's nice. Only did it once though on Princess. Hard to find repo's on carnival.

Search under "Transatlantic"

You can cruise for as low as $32/night. For all you get, having to pay air fare still makes it a very affordable vacation.

I am looking at doing a repositioning cruise because we love the ports listed, but wanted to know why most people like them so much, or don't.

Thanks!

I like the repositioning cruises and book them often

We live in Vancouver and except for Alaska these are the only ones we get to take that only involve one flight. We are on the Carnival miracle in September to Hawaii from here and then in May we take the Celebrity Century from L A to Vancouver so again only one flight.We have also done the Panama from Florida all the way home.

I like the repositioning cruises and book them often

We have booked four repositioning cruises and will do a lot more. They are very nice and the price is better than any other cruises

Ive seen them for $299 and $399 for 14 days. Lots of cruise days for the money. The downside is the cost to fly home.

I dont know a lot of people who like them except for the price. There are ways to get around the flight one way prices.. book both a spring and a fall TA and use the round trip flight that way.

They are often about twice as cheap per day as a regular cruise.

I love repositioning cruises, but I'm selective concerning the itinerary - I wouldn't take one only because of the price. There are some very unique itineraries available and not all are inexpensive.

We did an Emerald Princess cruise from FL to Barcelona. First week was all sea days, second week were ports. Only problems we had were in Florence (world shopping capital). Arrived on a day when everything was closed! Could barely find a gelato. Other one was Rome. Arrived late and in the middle of Vatican City on a Sunday. Not enough time to see Sistine Chapel, and pope was installing new bishops.

Flew from Barcelona to Los Angeles. Nice flight.

As you point out you "didn't want to fly to Italy." The one-way flight often will raise the price of a repo to pretty much comparable to a regular cruise.

we have 2 of them booked... :cool:

1st one = 8 day Nov 16th out of San Juan to Miami on the Conquest. We got awesome prices for our airfare :D

2nd one JUST BOOKED =11 day April 6th out of New Orleans to Port Canaveral on the Sunshine. We have not booked our airfare yet.. Reason for this one is because we were booked on the Sunshine for April 27th and the bumped us over to the Dream due to the Sunshine and Dream changing ports. Was not happy when I first heard about this but called my awesome PVP and now we are staying with the Sunshine and doing a 2nd repositioning cruise!

As you point out you "didn't want to fly to Italy." The one-way flight often will raise the price of a repo to pretty much comparable to a regular cruise.

Hmmmm......mostly, but depending on which repositioning cruise you take, you also may be getting double the number of cruise days on a repo/TA for that comparable cost. We're booked on the Sunshine 16 day TA this November. Our cost with airfare to Barcelona and return airfare from NOLA is only about $150 more than the same costs for our Breeze 8 day last month.

The main draw for me is the price and unique itenary.

Repos are generally (not always) cheaper on a per day basis than cruises that start and end out of the same port. Often times you can do two or three destinations that would typically require multiple cruises. For example you can do a repo that goes to Bermuda before going down to Bahamas/Carribean and finally ends at San Juan.

The negative is the one way airfare, and that you can't drive and leave your car at the port because you will not be returning to the port of embarkation, so much more planning required.

I would love to do a transatlantic repo one day....if I could ever afford the airfare :)

Can be "tricky" but there are reliable low cost airfares to be found, other wise we probably would not have done the TA we did last year, nor book the one coming up later this year. The cruiseline's offer good deal's on the airfare costs, but there are trade offs with those, but they are very reasonable cost wise.

Archived