First time on Celebrity - Silhouette Mediterranean/Adriatic June 15 review

lhall85917

Another day, another port - this time it was Valletta, Malta. Valletta surprised us, it appeared more middle eastern than we would have imagined (or perhaps Northern Africa)? I haven't traveled in either region but it is how I might picture one of these places. This was also an excursion arranged with other CC members and another very good guide, but unfortunately our transportation left a lot to be desired. In addition to a fairly old van for us, we didn't have air conditioning - this was a day with temperatures close to 100 degrees. I don't generally mind the heat but it was difficult to go all day without much of a break.

A view as we came in to port...

IMAGE_C043A95E-FFF5-495B-986F-1D47FFFD684D.JPG

Our first stop was in a picturesque fishing town

IMAGE_2BE9CE38-5663-4CC7-A75B-5E406C5C168E.JPG

IMAGE_2CCE05BC-7A02-40F8-BAE4-DFDC45438BB2.JPG

IMAGE_5FCC5DF0-970A-49FE-B5EF-2B9A7EAC747D.JPG

Next we went to the Blue Grotto, here we boarded small boats for a short ride into the caves - very fun!

IMAGE_B33BE3E2-535E-4875-8775-E9BA1EE15241.JPG

Blue Grotto

IMAGE_6FB94674-364A-4F86-BFA8-FD296CD8BBA2.JPG

We covered a lot of Malta that day and ended up in a very beautiful park that overlooks the city. I believe there is an elevator or escalator up to the park from the cruise port but it isn't something we used.

IMAGE_EFE16A81-0E77-4D56-A063-84C390FA80FE.JPG

IMAGE_3D7DD53D-4850-4AC2-82A5-1895E1D7E8E5.JPG

The day after Malta was our last sea day and 2nd formal night. We don't care to dress up for formal night so the first night we went to the buffet and it wasn't very good. I had read on CC that you could order from the dining room menu for room service and asked the Maitre D on the way out one night if it was possible. He told us he wasn't really sure that room service would do that but he offered to make sure we could. He gave us the menu, took our order and time we wanted dinner and said that it would be taken care of. After mentioning this to our steward, he took over and made sure it was ordered and delivered it to our room. We had a nice, relaxing lobster dinner on our balcony!

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

This was also the evening of the Cirque du Soleil type show in the theater

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

Montenegro and Split still to come.

Just love your photos....nice and crisp! Do you mind me asking what camera you used? Looking forward to your next installment!

Sam

Thank you so much, it is a Canon Powershot SX 40. We like it since it has wonderful range but we don't have to change lenses all the time, it actually zooms in more than our previous camera with interchangable lenses.

Hi Sharon!

Wonderful review! Enjoying it so much! It's like being on a cruise again! We had a great time with you and Lance on all our tours! Hope we'll cruise with you again! Please say Hi to Lance! I will post my review (much shorter than yours! :D) later next week.

Tatiana (and Lyuba)

Hi Tatiana and Lyuba, we miss you already!! I can't wait to see your review, it should be a great contrast to mine with your experience with Celebrity.

Thank you so much, it is a Canon Powershot SX 40. We like it since it has wonderful range but we don't have to change lenses all the time, it actually zooms in more than our previous camera with interchangable lenses.

You have a great taste in cameras ;-) I have the 30 and love it, I think it was a year prior to the 40.

Loving the review and photos. Not goin to the med this year, and i'm sad, but we are goin' in May on the Silhouette ;-)

I'm loving your review. Wonderful pictures. It makes me so excited for our upcomiing med cruise. We're stopping at some of the same ports. Was that little village in Malta called Marsaxlokk? We're doing an excursion there and the blue grotto.

Yes, it was. We arrived early morning and had the place to ourselves. They have some booths set up with locally made linens, we considered buying a tablecloth but weren't sure of sizes. If it is something you might like, you may want to know your table sizes! Prices were much better here than any other place we went to on the cruise.

Yes, it was. We arrived early morning and had the place to ourselves. They have some booths set up with locally made linens, we considered buying a tablecloth but weren't sure of sizes. If it is something you might like, you may want to know your table sizes! Prices were much better here than any other place we went to on the cruise.

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually looking for a new table cloth for my dining room table. I haven't been able to find my size. I'm making a note on "my things to do" list.

Sorry you arent on the 7/19 sailing, but having such a nice report beforehand makes up for it :) We've done Etna before, but not Taormina. Is Taormina worth the trip from Cantania? Thanks and very much enjoying your review!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I wish I could give a better answer, but here goes...when we arrived in Taormina we had about an hour to look around. There were two streets to go down, we headed left - bad move on our part. Everything there was tacky and we didn't like it. We came back and went down to the right and it was much nicer. There were many shops and restaurants along with a little park with a nice view, unfortunately we didn't get to go the whole way down that way to explore everything. I think I would enjoy going back and having more time there.

It so brings me back to May 21, 2013 on the wonderful Silhouette! We loved our cruise too, but it was just over too quickly. Thanks for sharing the fact that you were able to order dinner off the menu, on a formal night, as we feel the exact same way. We also planned to do the Dolomites, but since we trained in from Lucern, the day we were available was the day we couldn't tour! Friends of mine actually rented a car and drove all over for a couple of days and had a blast. Now, to get my DH to rent a car...

So glad you had such a wonderful time on Celebrity; we love it too!

~Suzy:cool:

Thanks for your review, I'm thoroughly enjoying it! We'll be on the Silhouette in Nov. on a similar but slightly longer itinerary out of Rome, with many of the same port stops as you had, so I really appreciate your photos & tips! :)

As in the other ports, we did a private excursion with other CC members in Montenegro. Sail in was beautiful and Montenegro was a very nice surprise! I have so many pictures that I love from there, it will be hard to choose ones to share.

A few sail in pics...

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

We were almost so far up the mountain that we couldn't get a good pic of the Silhouette with all of the haze and fog rolling in...

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

This was our lunch stop - we saw where they smoke their own ham, make cheese and bread, and tried some of their homemade brandy. It was 50% alcohol. :eek:

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

And we sail away from Kotor toward Split...

IMG_2668.JPG

Thank you for sharing your trip tales and fabulous photos! I just watched Rick Steves' Amalfi Coast episode this week, and now I'm looking at your photos...this place has definitely moved to the top of our European bucket list!!!

We'll be trying Celebrity for the first time this coming March so it's helpful reading your thoughts on this line. We've only been on HAL as a couple so we're looking to find another line for greater itinerary selection.

So glad you had a nice cruise!

By the way, we're practically neighbors...I'm from Huntsville :)

Thank you for sharing your trip tales and fabulous photos! I just watched Rick Steves' Amalfi Coast episode this week, and now I'm looking at your photos...this place has definitely moved to the top of our European bucket list!!!

We'll be trying Celebrity for the first time this coming March so it's helpful reading your thoughts on this line. We've only been on HAL as a couple so we're looking to find another line for greater itinerary selection.

So glad you had a nice cruise!

By the way, we're practically neighbors...I'm from Huntsville :)

I'm glad that you enjoyed them. We are neighbors, cool!

So enjoying your pictures and review of your cruise. We will be doing 12 day on Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona in early Oct. doing many of the same ports as you. Your pictures make the ports come to life.

A few questions if I may...

Debating whether to take my SLR camera with me or a smaller point and shoot. Did you ever feel threatened or uneasy in any port as to pick pockets or snatch and run thieves? You read so much advice about being careful of bags or purses being snatched. My camera bag is a backpack.

What tour did you take in Montenegro? We are doing 3 Rome in Limos tours with fellow passengers from CC and a couple that is traveling with us. They actually are from Greenville AL.

Great report and pictures! We are doing a similar cruise from Venice in Sept. 2014. Two questions: is the people mover a moving sidewalk or more like monorail? Also, did you hear of anyone going to the new WWII museum in Cantania. Thanks

The people mover is like a monorail, you buy tickets for one euro each, take escalators up then ride it to the cruise terminal stop. I didn't hear of anyone going to the museum, sorry.

So enjoying your pictures and review of your cruise. We will be doing 12 day on Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona in early Oct. doing many of the same ports as you. Your pictures make the ports come to life.

A few questions if I may...

Debating whether to take my SLR camera with me or a smaller point and shoot. Did you ever feel threatened or uneasy in any port as to pick pockets or snatch and run thieves? You read so much advice about being careful of bags or purses being snatched. My camera bag is a backpack.

What tour did you take in Montenegro? We are doing 3 Rome in Limos tours with fellow passengers from CC and a couple that is traveling with us. They actually are from Greenville AL.

We never felt uneasy anywhere at all. I took my point and shoot on a cruise a couple of years ago because I didn't want to switch lens on the SLR all the time and thought it would be easier but I regretted that choice. I wasn't happy with my pictures and I was disappointed. I make a photo book for each trip with MyPublisher or similar sites and I didn't get what I wanted for my book. That is why we love the current camera, no need to switch lens or bring bulky equipment.

The tour was booked through someone on our roll call and I'm not sure the name of the company but can find out if you like. We did 2 Rome in Limo tours - Rome Hill towns and Naples.

Looks like Alabama loves to cruise!!!:D

On your sail ins to the ports from where on the ship did you take most of your beautiful pictures?

Most were from the aft section behind the buffet dining. It is a great spot for pictures. Most others were from our balcony - room 9281

Archived