Cruising the Oasis with a Low Glycemic Index lifestyle?

Hello!

Does anyone have any advice about cruising while sticking to the Low Glycemic Index? My TA told RCI and RCI said that there was not much that I could do. Has anyone cruised with this? I am still new to the it, so I am kind of a deer in headlights about the whole thing. I wish I didn't have to learn about it on the cruise!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! :)

I have Celiac disease and eat a low glycemic diet. Best advice is to stick to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast and lunch. Plenty of healthy options there. They are not marked though, so if you aren't sure which foods are high glycemic, buy a little guide book to help you. For me, oasis and allure are the 2 easiest ships for me to eat on. On both Freedom and Liberty, it was harder because when the dining room was not open, I was forced to eat in the windjammer which is very risky for someone with my condition. In freedom, I did eat something cross contaminated with gluten and was sick for 2 days. Never an issue or concern on oasis and allure. Never stepped foot in the windjammer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have Celiac disease and eat a low glycemic diet. Best advice is to stick to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast and lunch. Plenty of healthy options there. They are not marked though, so if you aren't sure which foods are high glycemic, buy a little guide book to help you. For me, oasis and allure are the 2 easiest ships for me to eat on. On both Freedom and Liberty, it was harder because when the dining room was not open, I was forced to eat in the windjammer which is very risky for someone with my condition. In freedom, I did eat something cross contaminated with gluten and was sick for 2 days. Never an issue or concern on oasis and allure. Never stepped foot in the windjammer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks! I have no plans on eating in the windjammer, and I also had that issue when I was gluten, soy and dairy free back in 2010 on the Freedom. I am not worried about the MDR because of the easier menu where I can order the gluten free options. I am excited to see how much easier it will be to eat!

I cruise a lot stick to this plan:

Breakfast order fried eggs, you can eat ham, bacon stay away from sausage. You can eat fruit, yogurt, cheeses yes they have cheese in buffet area, salmon, kippling, potatoes of any type.

Lunch Buffet:

Stay with the meat carvings

salad bar with greens, tomatoes, peppers, etc. use oil and vinegar

veggies that do not have any sauces or gravies

You can get a deli sandwich and ask for the meat only and no bread

any cheese is good

Dinner:

Meat with no gravy, sauce or marinades just ask for the meat plain

all veggies with no sauces

salads with oil and vinegar

you can eat a lot...shrimp plain, lobster, any type of meat that is plain, veggies, any type of potatoes.... and ask for gluten free desserts all cruise lines in these days offer something.

I have no problem and trust me I eat a lot and never get sick.

I find RC offers a lot more for me in the buffet than carnival and ncl does.

Hello!

Does anyone have any advice about cruising while sticking to the Low Glycemic Index? My TA told RCI and RCI said that there was not much that I could do. Has anyone cruised with this? I am still new to the it, so I am kind of a deer in headlights about the whole thing. I wish I didn't have to learn about it on the cruise!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hmmm...Can you drink alcohol on the Low Glycemic Index diet?

Well, either way, you were smart for letting your TA know about it. There was a recent thread where someone had a hard time with their dietary requests, but they didn't make them known prior to the cruise.

Hmmm...Can you drink alcohol on the Low Glycemic Index diet?

Well, either way, you were smart for letting your TA know about it. There was a recent thread where someone had a hard time with their dietary requests, but they didn't make them known prior to the cruise.

Yup! I can drink in moderation, no piña coladas and things heavy in sugar... More vodka tonics and drinks like that!

Archived