? About international connect in Phl

mina

We will be flying usair to rome connecting thru Phl. We will have a four hour layover in Phl. Is that enough time to go out thru security and come back in. We would like to go outside before the long international flight. Thank you.

Yes. Here's the best way to do it. If you are coming into the Dump (Terminal F), take the shuttle to terminal A and then exit. If you are coming into A-B-C just go outside. When you are ready to come back in, walk allllll the way to the very far end of Terminal A WEST for International departures, and use the security line by customs for onward passengers. (If you are traveling with a laptop or high end camera gear, you can register it with customs while you are there to get a receipt so there's no way they'll try to charge duty on the way back in. There is seldom more than a minute or two wait, unlike the lines for terminal A East and B, which can be as long as 45 minutes. Also the people who staff A West are pleasant, unlike the nastiest witches under the sun over at A east and B.

That said, Terminal A is a very long terminal, and they want you in the gate area 45 minutes prior to take off at the latest, so don't think you've got time to go into Philadelphia. I would plan on being back into the security line by 90 minutes prior to your flight time at the very, very latest.

HI Keith -- we are going through PHL on our way to rome from Phx -- so we will not be clearning customs? correct?

Also -- may I ask you both -- My DH is a smoker. I understand that the PHL is no smoking -- but do they have designated areas outside the terminal away from the crowds?

Thank you!

Just don't count on your luggage making the transfer. 4 hours SHOULD be enough time. But don't count on it.

PHL has the WORST airport management and baggage system in the USA. And this is not anecdotal-this from all kinds of pure data.

Don't mean to worry you but the baggage handlers in PHL STILL have not totally merged with the baggage handlers from the AmWest merger. Two contracts, two priority lists, two separate pay scales and two separate trains of thought regarding baggage. We pulled ALL of our perishable freight out of PHL on US Air a few years ago because there were way too many times our highly perishable freight got left on the tarmac and got ruined.

Good luck but if I was transferring through PHL on US, I would check my luggage through from PHX to PHL, THEN RECHECK the luggage to Rome. At least you know it made it to PHL and a "clean" check in in PHL is more apt to be loaded than a transfer. The ONLY time my luggage has been truly lost (not delayed or showed up at my hotel/home very shortly) is at PHL and I fly well over 100,000 miles per year. Just an FYI.

Thank you all for the responses. I have heard about the luggage issues. Not sure what we will do. We usually travel with one carry on each. So since this is a long trip, we will probably still take one carry on each and check one bag only. That way we will have some clothes if our luggage does not make the trip.

Just don't count on your luggage making the transfer. 4 hours SHOULD be enough time. But don't count on it.

PHL has the WORST airport management and baggage system in the USA. And this is not anecdotal-this from all kinds of pure data.

Don't mean to worry you but the baggage handlers in PHL STILL have not totally merged with the baggage handlers from the AmWest merger. Two contracts, two priority lists, two separate pay scales and two separate trains of thought regarding baggage. We pulled ALL of our perishable freight out of PHL on US Air a few years ago because there were way too many times our highly perishable freight got left on the tarmac and got ruined.

Good luck but if I was transferring through PHL on US, I would check my luggage through from PHX to PHL, THEN RECHECK the luggage to Rome. At least you know it made it to PHL and a "clean" check in in PHL is more apt to be loaded than a transfer. The ONLY time my luggage has been truly lost (not delayed or showed up at my hotel/home very shortly) is at PHL and I fly well over 100,000 miles per year. Just an FYI.

I've had my luggage delayed going through any number of airports, but never PHL. Good reason to only travel with carry on though, you never need to worry about it. I stopped checking bags when at all possible about eight years ago.

I've had my luggage delayed going through any number of airports, but never PHL. Good reason to only travel with carry on though, you never need to worry about it. I stopped checking bags when at all possible about eight years ago.

While PHL has some of the worst airport management in the USA, the REAL potential problem with the OP's trip is the combination of PHL and US Air and the ongoing problems with the AmWest merger.

The baggage handlers are STILL working under two contracts-East vs West. They have resolved some of the problems and the union keeps saying all is A OK and everyone is working in concert under one contract. But it isn't and there are lingering bad vibes and constant fighting. When they moved a bunch of AmWest baggage handlers to the East Coast, all h*** broke loose. Those guys had PHX wages to live in an East Coast city. Almost impossible to make ends meet.

And it continues to this day. There just is NOT a lot of co-operation between the two parts of the union. And what happens-the "East" guys say to the "West" guys-'you get those two carts and we'll get these three'. Then no one does what they are supposed to do and luggage and cargo gets left all over the tarmac.

It cost us a chunk of change to pull all our cargo out of PHL if it was going on US Air. But the cargo claims were costing us each and every day both monetarily and reputation wise. So we canceled our US Air contract out of PHL and are now bringing all South NJ/DE/Philly freight all the way to JFK. Lots of extra time and money but until they solve the union problem between East and West on US Air, nothing good is going to happen.

Archived