Anyone headed to Egypt

JustBill

I don't thinki would be going to any parts of Egypt in the near future. I know some people have posted on here and don't appear to be concerned about political umreast in different countries.

Has anyone changed any plans concerning Egypt?

We went last November. One of the most amazing places we've been; it was sad for us to see how empty it was, but it made for a more quiet and uncrowded visit. There was no anti-American or anti-tourist sentiment; everyone was ecstatic to see us - friendly, warm, welcoming... In fact, they asked us to tell everyone that they wanted more visitors!

CNN reported last night and again this morning that US & UK govt officials are urging their citizens to cancel travel plans to Egypt.

Ungoing demonstrations against Pres. Morsy have made Egypt unsafe. Australian and Canadian, Netherland, French, and German officials are likewise advising their citizens to either leave the country or to avoid mass crowds. Given where the demonstrations are taking place, that is going to be hard for most tourists.

i bet corporate offices of companies involved in tourism are going to pull out of taking people into Egypt for a while. They are not into taking risks.

We were in Egypt 4 years ago and loved it. Today, not a chance. Seems quite unsafe. When things quiet down will look at it again. From the looks of things it will be a long time. A lot of other places to go. :)

Good thread; thanks for the link.

It sounds a little scarier than when we were there 6-7 months ago. I'd be torn if we were scheduled to go now; would probably contact our tour operator to see what their read "from the ground" was... There were plenty of demonstrations when we were there but they were localized, and our tour company was able to easily keep us away. So we really "felt" nothing out of the ordinary.

We did feel a sense of desperation from the vendors who had many fewer tourists to sell things to. Feel bad for those Egyptians who make a living from tourism; as the instability worsens, their situation does as well.

We were in Egypt 4 years ago and loved it. Today, not a chance. Seems quite unsafe. When things quiet down will look at it again. From the looks of things it will be a long time. A lot of other places to go. :)

I agree. I am really glad we were able to visit Egypt during peaceful times but I would not be planning a further visit.

I was in Egypt in May and loved it

We loved our guide so much (he is VERY political) that we have booked a fabulous trip for February with him as our guide.

I am in touch with him daily about the recent events

I have no doubt that we will be going in February.

I am not concerned or afraid.

Different strokes

Hopefully by the time your trip in February rolls around that Egypt will have settled down. Then again it could also be worse than it is now. I wonder if the U.S. has a travel warning for an area, if the airfare would be refundable by the airlines or would it require travel insurance to get your money back? Not that I am going but just curious.

Pacheco

If your visit was scheduled for this week would you still be going?

Hopefully by the time your trip in February rolls around that Egypt will have settled down. Then again it could also be worse than it is now. I wonder if the U.S. has a travel warning for an area, if the airfare would be refundable by the airlines or would it require travel insurance to get your money back? Not that I am going but just curious.

Pacheco

If your visit was scheduled for this week would you still be going?

This week -- not likely (I would go but my husband would not nor would the couple joining us)

How can any of you be sure what the political situation will be in any country you are scheduled to visit in the future?

Anyone going to Brazil?

I just have a different attitude towards life and travel. I am not afraid of much. I am a risk taker. That's the way I have always lived. I pay little attention to all the warnings. Leaving for Turkey in 5 weeks and not at all concerned.

Are the cruise ships even going into Egypt right now? There were reports that 48 women were sexual assaulted in Tahrir Square just on Sunday. Doesn't sound like a safe place for anyone to be right now, let alone tourists.

Hopefully someday we can see Egypt. Americans always have a social studies unit on the pyramids and the Nile in about the 4th grade and then again in high school so many of us grow up hoping to see Egypt someday. I think because our country is so young Egypt, like Greece, has a special fascination for us.

Are the cruise ships even going into Egypt right now? There were reports that 48 women were sexual assaulted in Tahrir Square just on Sunday. Doesn't sound like a safe place for anyone to be right now, let alone tourists.

Hopefully someday we can see Egypt. Americans always have a social studies unit on the pyramids and the Nile in about the 4th grade and then again in high school so many of us grow up hoping to see Egypt someday. I think because our country is so young Egypt, like Greece, has a special fascination for us.

This is not cruise ship season for Egypt. Way too hot. It was hot in May when we were there -- now it would be unbearably hot.

I would not believe all of the news here in the US about what is going on in Egypt. Unfortunately, there is a lot of distortion.

I am in contact with folks there now who are aghast at some of the stories we get here.

I know this isn't tourist season, hence my query "are the cruise ships even going into Egypt right now" to the OP's question.

That said, I don't know why those of us in North America shouldn't believe that the Moslem Brotherhood Headquarters was set on fire, Egyptians are being wounded in Tahrir Square, that the military has given the President 48 hours, or that pretty much all news sources (and not just US) are reporting that there are mass demonstrations going on against the current government.

I know this isn't tourist season, hence my query "are the cruise ships even going into Egypt right now" to the OP's question.

That said, I don't know why those of us in North America shouldn't believe that the Moslem Brotherhood Headquarters was set on fire, Egyptians are being wounded in Tahrir Square, that the military has given the President 48 hours, or that pretty much all news sources (and not just US) are reporting that there are mass demonstrations going on against the current government.

cbb, things don't always transmit well over an internet forum. I too would have interpreted your question as "with all of the craziness going on in Egypt, are cruise ships even going there now?" rather than "it's not cruise season in Egypt - are ships even going now?"

WRT the second paragraph - sure, that's true. There are areas in Cairo that you'd have to be crazy to go to right now. But Cairo is a HUGE city of 20+ million people sprawled out for miles in every direction. There are small foci where the demonstrations / demonstrators are most concentrated. When we were there in November, there was a "huge demonstration" against Morsi as well, but even though it was less than a mile from our hotel, it was completely invisible to us, and we wouldn't have known about it had we not been told.

So I think that is the basis of the disconnect - we see streets jammed with protestors, and a fire at the Brotherhood's HQ, and we think that it's like that everywhere you turn in Cairo. It almost certainly isn't. And that's why pacheo18, who is in contact with people "on the ground" has a different perspective. When we were there, we spoke to our tour guides, and they simply told us what spots to avoid when we went out for a peaceful morning walk along the Nile (unaccompanied, BTW).

I'll second what pacheo18 is saying - I have a colleague whose parents live in Cairo (we met them while there, and his Dad took us through some of the parts that our tour guides wouldn't have). He too is distressed by what the media chooses to show. It's a very small part of what is happening in Cairo, yet it effectively creates the picture that all of Cairo is overrun by mobs with torches and pitchforks...

So: yes, believe that the HQ are on fire. But don't believe that it's like that all over Cairo. That said, you'd have to be brave to go now, and I would not think you're a 'fraidy cat for not wanting to be there now. Hope things settle down and you have a great trip there in May!

I understand and appreciate that all of Cairo is not seeing massed demonstrations but when the military gives a president 48 hours I just think that Cairo and pretty much all of Egypt can be affected.

Heck, I've been in Athens, Barcelona, Madrid, London, Dublin, and a couple of places in N.Ireland and understand what you're saying about demonstrations not affecting all areas and I felt perfectly safe.

So, having said all this, I'm pretty much done with this topic. Have a great day everyone!!

I do think it is crazy to say the news is not real, if you are on a cruise if it is really crazy the ship will not go to a port. If you feel unsafe you can stay onboard. In the end it is a personal choice. I would not go there now but that is just me, if you go have a great trip, the odds are you will be ok.

We travel a lot and we have been too many places lately where Americans are not in "favor". We have found that the scope of where we go in getting narrower. I am so thankful that we were able to do so many things years ago before this world started to change.

I do think it is crazy to say the news is not real, if you are on a cruise if it is really crazy the ship will not go to a port. If you feel unsafe you can stay onboard. In the end it is a personal choice. I would not go there now but that is just me, if you go have a great trip, the odds are you will be ok.

It may just be a matter of time before a cruise ship actually gets hijacked or attacked. Imagine being docked in Alexandria this week and the massive crowd decides to descend on the port in the midst of the start of a civil war. It's highly unlikely, but not impossible. The interaction between ships and pirates in Somalia was not pretty. I personally think that no ships should be porting in Egypt right now.

They have been posting this message for the last several days.

Good luck if you have any problems!

On Wednesday July 3, the U.S. Embassy will be closed to the public and regular consular services are suspended for the day. We regret the inconvenience and all applicants’ appointments will be rescheduled. If you need an emergency service, please contact the Embassy at 2797-3300.

Travel Warning for Egypt

June 28, 2013

United States Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to or living in Egypt to defer non-essential travel to Egypt at this time due to the continuing possibility of political and social unrest. On June 28, 2013, the Department of State authorized the departure of a limited number of non-emergency employees and family members. U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to be vigilant regarding their personal security. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Alert issued for Egypt dated May 15, 2013.

On June 28, the Department of State authorized the departure of a limited number of non-emergency U.S. government personnel and family members from Egypt due to the ongoing political and social unrest.

Political unrest, which intensified prior to the constitutional referendum in December 2012 and the anniversary in 2013 of Egypt's 25th January Revolution, is likely to continue in the near future due to unrest focused on the first anniversary of the President's assumption of office. Demonstrations have, on occasion, degenerated into violent clashes between police and protesters, resulting in deaths, injuries, and extensive property damage. Participants have thrown rocks and Molotov cocktails and security forces have used tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators. There are numerous reports of the use of firearms as well. While violent protests have occurred in major metropolitan areas, including downtown Cairo, Alexandria, and Port Said, the security situation in most tourist centers, including Luxor, Aswan, and Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh, continues to be calm. Of specific concern is a rise in gender-based violence in and around protest areas where women have been the specific targets of sexual assault.

On May 9, a private U.S. citizen was attacked with a knife outside of the Embassy after being asked whether he was an American. Additionally, Westerners and U.S. citizens have occasionally been caught in the middle of clashes and demonstrations. U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to be vigilant regarding their personal security by knowing the locations of police and fire stations, hospitals, and the U.S. Embassy.

The U.S. Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations in Egypt, as even peaceful ones can quickly become violent, and a foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse. Because of the proximity of the U.S. Embassy to Tahrir Square in Cairo, the U.S. Embassy has sometimes been closed to the public on short notice due to violent protests. The Embassy will notify U.S. citizens as quickly as possible of any closing and the types of emergency consular services that will be available. Should security forces block off the area around the U.S. Embassy during demonstrations, U.S. citizens should contact the American Citizens Services section before attempting to come to the U.S. Embassy during that time. U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to carry identification and, if moving about alone, a cell phone or other means of communication that works in Egypt.

The U.S. Embassy restricts its employees and their family members from traveling to specific areas listed in the Country Specific Information Sheet and advises all U.S. citizens to do the same. We continue to urge U.S. citizens to stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Please check our Country Specific Information Sheet for further security guidance.

Unless otherwise indicated in a public announcement, the U.S. Embassy is open for all routine American Citizens Services by appointment. U.S. citizens needing emergency assistance do not need an appointment. Visit the Embassy website to check the latest changes to Embassy hours or services. U.S. citizens with routine phone inquiries may call the Embassy's American Citizens Services section at 2797-2301, Sunday to Thursday from 9:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. For emergencies after business hours and on weekends and holidays, U.S. citizens can contact the Embassy Duty Officer via the Embassy switchboard on 2797-3300. The U.S. Embassy is closed on U.S. federal holidays. U.S. citizens in Egypt are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy to contact them in case of emergency.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State's Internet website at travel.state.gov where the Worldwide Caution , Country Specific Information for Egypt, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. Download our free Smart Traveler app, available through iTunes or Google Play, to have travel information at your fingertips.

Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The U.S. Embassy in Egypt is located at 5 Tawfik Diab Street (formerly known as Latin America Street), Garden City, Cairo. For emergencies after business hours and on weekends and holidays, U.S. citizens can contact the Embassy Duty Officer via the Embassy switchboard on 2797-3300.

Archived