Has anyone experienced late arrival?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of switching a cruise trip due to some visa problem. The new cruise I'm considering has a 6:30am arrival time in Sydney on the day of our flight. Our flight is at 11:30am and since it's an international flight, we might need to get to the airport by 9:30am or so. (Our flight is non-changable, non-refundable.) And according to the internet, it takes around 20-30 minutes by train from Port of Sydney to the airport.

Do you think we can make it? What are the chances of the ship being late? If we request priority disembarkation due to the flight, how quick do you think we can get off the ship?

I'm exploring possibilities before committing to purchase this cruise.

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of switching a cruise trip due to some visa problem. The new cruise I'm considering has a 6:30am arrival time in Sydney on the day of our flight. Our flight is at 11:30am and since it's an international flight, we might need to get to the airport by 9:30am or so. (Our flight is non-changable, non-refundable.) And according to the internet, it takes around 20-30 minutes by train from Port of Sydney to the airport.

Do you think we can make it? What are the chances of the ship being late? If we request priority disembarkation due to the flight, how quick do you think we can get off the ship?

I'm exploring possibilities before committing to purchase this cruise.

Thanks a lot!

Hello t4tintin,

I was on the Radiance out of Sydney this past December. I was up at 530am on disembarkation date to watch us come through the Heads and into the harbour. We were docking by about 630 and I could've been off the ship by 730.

Just to re-affirm, I stayed at the Hilday Inn Olde Sydney right across the street from the terminal and I have awesome pictures of the Radiance entering the Harbour and turning the corner in front of the Opera House at about 630am the day we embarked.

The train station is about a 5 mintue (2 block) walk from the departure gate... super super super easy!! The train ride is about 30-35 minutes to the airport, and stops at both Terminal 1 and combo Terminal 2/3.

KIngsford SMith International is notorious for being overly busy with long line-ups, but I did not experience that whatsoever either when I landed in Sydney nor when I departed.

Having said all of the above... let's say everything works out just perfectly for you: You walk off the ship at 7:30am with your bags. 15min to the train, purchase tickets and get up on the ramp... now it's about 7:45am. 30-35min train ride, get off the train and find your airline gate. Now it's about 8:30am. Check-in luggage, get boarding pass, and get through security in say about 30-45min. Now it's approaching 9:30am.

I think you can do it but an hour delay on any of the above and you could be in big trouble.

Hello t4tintin,

I was on the Radiance out of Sydney this past December. I was up at 530am on disembarkation date to watch us come through the Heads and into the harbour. We were docking by about 630 and I could've been off the ship by 730.

Just to re-affirm, I stayed at the Hilday Inn Olde Sydney right across the street from the terminal and I have awesome pictures of the Radiance entering the Harbour and turning the corner in front of the Opera House at about 630am the day we embarked.

The train station is about a 5 mintue (2 block) walk from the departure gate... super super super easy!! The train ride is about 30-35 minutes to the airport, and stops at both Terminal 1 and combo Terminal 2/3.

KIngsford SMith International is notorious for being overly busy with long line-ups, but I did not experience that whatsoever either when I landed in Sydney nor when I departed.

Having said all of the above... let's say everything works out just perfectly for you: You walk off the ship at 7:30am with your bags. 15min to the train, purchase tickets and get up on the ramp... now it's about 7:45am. 30-35min train ride, get off the train and find your airline gate. Now it's about 8:30am. Check-in luggage, get boarding pass, and get through security in say about 30-45min. Now it's approaching 9:30am.

I think you can do it but an hour delay on any of the above and you could be in big trouble.

Thanks for sharing! This detailed info certainly gives a good picture of the whole plan. I know it will work only when everything goes the way it should be. A bit risky. hmm.

When I was on the FOS on the eastern Caribbean for a week, Each time we got ready to leave the port and leave port Canaveral that ship was NOT late, if they say 4;30 it was 4;31 it was moving. Don't take chances. Be on time.

When I was on the FOS on the eastern Caribbean for a week, Each time we got ready to leave the port and leave port Canaveral that ship was NOT late, if they say 4;30 it was 4;31 it was moving. Don't take chances. Be on time.

The OP is not talking about boarding a ship, they are talking about disembarking and trying to make a flight in Sydney, Australia. Not sure what Freedom of the Seas leaving Port Canaveral has to do with any of it.

When we debarked in Sydney, I expected a very long line. It was not as long as expected and it moved very quickly. Our taxi driver said that they do not notify the taxi companies when a ship is in port but that word gets around pretty quickly among the taxi drivers and they come to the port.

I've taken one RCI cruise, we came into port three hours late, and it was chaos trying to get off no one waited for their colors, everyone clogged the stairs and baggage area. Everyone had to be out of their cabins, the bathrooms in the public areas were out of toilet tissue and towels, there was nothing to drink--not even water. It was a terrible, terrible experience, and one reason I'll never sail RCI again.

Not in Australia--but yes, out of 20 cruises we have had significantly late disembarkation twice.

Once was on Princess, many years ago, arriving in LA. We arrived on time, but to foreign passengers did not go to customs as they were directed to. Passengers sat on the ship nearly 3 hours past when disembarkation was expected as the couple were paged over and over again, eventually crew and immigration officers were circulating looking, etc. I have no idea if they ever found them or what exactly happened but after about three hours the ship was cleared and we were let off.

At first all restrooms were closed and no food or drinks were available (and everyone had to be out of their cabins). Eventually, after much asking, two public restrooms were reopened and some water was brought out.

It looked like those disembarking were pretty much as the PP describes--all rushing for exits, lots of pushing, etc. We were not flying until the next day and had two preschoolers with us, so we hung back until things settled down.

The other was last month here in Europe. The Legend was unable to leave Civitavecchia on time due to strong winds with high seas making it dangerous to pull out. We made up a lot of time overnight, but not all of it--which put us into Genoa (where about 300 passengers were debarking) about 90 minutes late (I think, I have already forgotten exactly). There was no mad rush, but then not THAT many people had planes to catch and RCI had all of those who did in one space and took them off first thing as a group and got them onto waiting buses.

In both cases, the late disembark seemed to be entirely NOT the fault of the cruise-line, and just one of those things that happen.

Things like this can happen, while not the norm they are also not extremely uncommon. I'd say you need to access how well you can handle it if you get delayed and have to wait a day or more to get on another flight and how much it would cost you if that happens and then decide if it is worth it to take the risk or not. Good luck coming to a decision.

Here's one suggestion, although a bit costly. Arrange a private car to take you to the airport. That way you KNOW you have transportation from the minute you get off the ship.

If all goes well (you arrive on time, there's plenty of transportation available at the pier), you will have "wasted" your money on a private car. But if there is a jam for taxis or train and/or your ship arrives a bit late, you will rest easy. Also, the Sidney airport seemed to move pretty quickly so arriving 2 hrs before your flight should allow plenty of time . . . you'd probably be OK with 90 minutes.

Obviously, if the ship arrives very late, you're in a bind. Cruise lines know that, in places like Sidney, many people are taking "day of" flights and there are few options if they miss those flights. So, they definitely do all they can to arrive at the port on time. But things do happen.

If you miss your flight, the airline will rebook you. However, you'll probably have to pay the difference in price (if any), a change fee, and cover any incidentals (hotel, meals) while you wait for your new flight. It's a risk that can be somewhat mitigated with travel insurance -- but do read the fine print!

Archived