Going up a tier while onboard...

DH and I will be moving up to emerald two nights in onboard Indy this Nov... Do we get the new booklets/perks after this cruise or during? (I know, I know, a few dollars off another drink or something isn't that exciting but let me go! We are looking forward to not being platinum anymore!) =)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH and I will be moving up to emerald two nights in onboard Indy this Nov... Do we get the new booklets/perks after this cruise or during? (I know, I know, a few dollars off another drink or something isn't that exciting but let me go! We are looking forward to not being platinum anymore!) =)

You do not normally move up a level until after the cruise is completed.

We just finished a cruise on Indy last weekend and it was our first as Platinum members. We would have turned emerald at the end of the cruise, which was a quick jump. When we got to our cabin we had all the perks except the lapel pin you are supposed to get. I went down to guest services and enquired about it and they said we should receive it in a couple of days. Well, it never arrived and I went to the future cruise booking place next to Cafe Promenade. The lady there said they didn't have any platinum pins left, but as we would turn emerald at the end of this cruise she gave us our emerald pin early - yay! If you ask, I'm sure they might give you the badge early, although your sea pass card will stay the same. I pinned my badge on my kindle case, which I carry round with me most of the time anyway. My husband was too embarrassed to wear his :)

We were in a similar situation, moving from gold to platinum after one day on board. On the second day, we booked our next cruise with the LA and at the same time asked nicely if it would be possible to be "made platinum" since we had the requisite number of cruise days. She put stickers on our seapasses, gave us the platinum coupon books (and told us to continue using the gold ones as well), and made sure we got an invite to the top tier event. Those were little things, but meant a lot to us in terms of goodwill. It probably also helped that we had just booked the next cruise, after which we'll be emerald (love those double points from the junior suite). We know it was in the system, too, because when one of us had to have his seapass remade, it came out with "platinum" on it. This was on AOS, incidentally, and probably varies from ship to ship.

We were in a similar situation, moving from gold to platinum after one day on board. On the second day, we booked our next cruise with the LA and at the same time asked nicely if it would be possible to be "made platinum" since we had the requisite number of cruise days. She put stickers on our seapasses, gave us the platinum coupon books (and told us to continue using the gold ones as well), and made sure we got an invite to the top tier event. Those were little things, but meant a lot to us in terms of goodwill. It probably also helped that we had just booked the next cruise, after which we'll be emerald (love those double points from the junior suite). We know it was in the system, too, because when one of us had to have his seapass remade, it came out with "platinum" on it. This was on AOS, incidentally, and probably varies from ship to ship.

This is not uncommon, especially if you "turn" early in the cruise. The LA has those stickers for all levels.

It supports a theory I have mentioned on many threads here on CC: there's a lot of local discretion by the ship's management. When you've booked another cruise, it's good PR to "promote" you to the next level while on board the ship. I'm glad it worked out for you!

This is not uncommon, especially if you "turn" early in the cruise. The LA has those stickers for all levels.

It supports a theory I have mentioned on many threads here on CC: there's a lot of local discretion by the ship's management. When you've booked another cruise, it's good PR to "promote" you to the next level while on board the ship. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Oh gosh... another "the rules really don't apply to me" post. The next level is NOT earned until the current CRUISE is COMPLETED. Why is it necessary to continually suggest that people push staff to break the rules?

Oh gosh... another "the rules really don't apply to me" post. The next level is NOT earned until the current CRUISE is COMPLETED. Why is it necessary to continually suggest that people push staff to break the rules?

Really? What harm does it hurt to ask?

This is an interesting topic. I have always read here that you do not get your cruise points credited untill the cruise is completed. We are suppose to go from Emrald to Diamond on the third day of our upcoming August cruise. Yesterday I printed our luggage tags and they say Diamond member to my surprise. On the sea pass document there is also a small D on the blue background.

Don't know what to expect but will have to see what me sea pass card says.

Pleasantly surprised so far, Really was not expecting that based on what I have read here.

This is an interesting topic. I have always read here that you do not get your cruise points credited untill the cruise is completed. We are suppose to go from Emrald to Diamond on the third day of our upcoming August cruise. Yesterday I printed our luggage tags and they say Diamond member to my surprise. On the sea pass document there is also a small D on the blue background.

Pleasantly surprised so far, Really was not expecting that based on what I have read here.

It looks like they already have your level as Diamond. Are you also able to see your C&A level on Royal's website?

Perhaps you miscalculated your points? It would be very unusual for them to give you your new level before you completed or even started that cruise.

We went from Platinum to Emerald at the end of our first week of a B2B. I knew this was going to happen, so called C&A before we left. She noted it, and sure enough we had Emerald stickers on our new sea pass cards, the new coupon book and pins in our cabin. We really didn't get that much with that change in tier, but we were D after the second week (we had been sailing in JS for the past three Royal cruises), which made the next cruise even better. :)

I merely said I was happy things worked out for her. If the Loyalty Ambassador on a given ship deems it acceptable to record a passenger's new C&A level while the cruise is in progress, then that would be the LA's business decision, not yours.

I advocate people asking questions about the policies on board a ship, and that does not necessarily end up something being "broken". I also advocate people accepting the answers to those questions, as I have in the past.

Perhaps you miscalculated your points? It would be very unusual for them to give you your new level before you completed or even started that cruise.

I'm wondering if they changed the policy slightly? Maybe if they see someone is changing levels within the first few days of a cruise, they now bump them up for that cruise? I don't know; just guessing.

Congratulations on becoming Emerald!

The only main difference from Platinum I experienced onboard as an Emerald member is a Welcome Basket (Key Lime Cookies and Dried Friut) and a non-alcohol beverage (small bottle of water or soda, juice based on your preference in the Crown & Anchor profile online) waiting for me when I arrived in my stateroom on the first day.

I heard the booklets are being eliminated as the coupons will be electronically send to your sea pass card. I'm not sure what the differences are between Platinum and Emerald, but I think there's a thread about that somewhere.

On the cruise that I become Emerald on the last day or two, I booked the Next Cruise certificate, but I did not inquire about getting bumped up early and received Platinum benefits only throughout that cruise.

We went from Platinum to Emerald at the end of our first week of a B2B. I knew this was going to happen, so called C&A before we left. She noted it, and sure enough we had Emerald stickers on our new sea pass cards, the new coupon book and pins in our cabin. We really didn't get that much with that change in tier, but we were D after the second week (we had been sailing in JS for the past three Royal cruises), which made the next cruise even better. :)

Oh that's a great thing to remember! We have a 25 night cruise and five nights i. We go up a level. I was hoping that we would get platinum on our 2nd leg!

T

Oh that's a great thing to remember! We have a 25 night cruise and five nights i. We go up a level. I was hoping that we would get platinum on our 2nd leg!

T

Well, since your cruise is actually a B2B, you will TRULY go to the next level after the first cruise.

No question about that.

Why are you so upset. You need to lighten up a bit. You are obviously at D+. It is still a big thing for some to get to the next tier.

T

Are you sure you don't have multiple cruises booked back to back? I've never heard of a 25 night cruise on Royal Caribbean.

I'm wondering if they changed the policy slightly? Maybe if they see someone is changing levels within the first few days of a cruise, they now bump them up for that cruise? I don't know; just guessing.

I don't think it has changed. My daughter had 174 points when she cruised in June. She was still D on all the paperwork and Seapass. She's now officially D+:D

When you become PC' date=' is that a different situation? Getting close.:)

Charles and Connie[/quote']

Yes, I believe they honor the change to PC on the cruise when you attain 700 points, even if it's in the middle of the cruise.

Archived