Balcony Rooms-Windy?

lrowe70

We had a balcony on the top deck of our last cruise. I never used it because the weather was quite poor. My husband however says it was really windy which is why he didn't use it. I don't remember wind being the issue.

As we are planning our next cruise he says he only wants an aft balcony due to the wind. I'd rather not spend that extra money.

Are side balconies windy, or is it just that we were on the top deck and had no cover over our last one? :confused:

Oh we're looking at a cruise to Mexico on the Miracle, any room suggestions(or avoidance!) is appreciated. Thanks :)

We had a balcony on the top deck of our last cruise. I never used it because the weather was quite poor. My husband however says it was really windy which is why he didn't use it. I don't remember wind being the issue.

As we are planning our next cruise he says he only wants an aft balcony due to the wind. I'd rather not spend that extra money.

Are side balconies windy, or is it just that we were on the top deck and had no cover over our last one? :confused:

Oh we're looking at a cruise to Mexico on the Miracle, any room suggestions(or avoidance!) is appreciated. Thanks :)

We were on the Liberty in a Lido balcony (deck 9) in May. We never had any problems with wind.

We have had several balconies and never had any issue with wind, with the exception of Hurricane Dennis in 2005 (but using your balcony during the storm was impossible anyways). We love balconies. Especially AFT wraps.

We have had several balconies and never had any issue with wind, with the exception of Hurricane Dennis in 2005 (but using your balcony during the storm was impossible anyways). We love balconies. Especially AFT wraps.

Aft wraps? Hummm sounds interesting. Are those regular balconies, or just on the suites?

Aft wraps? Hummm sounds interesting. Are those regular balconies, or just on the suites?

Suites only on Spirit class. Regular cabins on the others. We are huge fans and are totally spoiled now. You get a side and aft view....best of both worlds.

Suites only on Spirit class. Regular cabins on the others. We are huge fans and are totally spoiled now. You get a side and aft view....best of both worlds.

Aft wrap cabins are a little different configuration than the regular cabins on the ships other than the Spirit class. Also, when booking, they are called Premium Vista Balcony, and are much more expensive to book than a regular cabin.

The only issue we've had was when we had a forward balcony (2nd from the front). The wind kept rattling the partition all day and night, any time the ship was moving.

The only issue we've had was when we had a forward balcony (2nd from the front). The wind kept rattling the partition all day and night, any time the ship was moving.

Same here, had the 5th from the front on the Miracle. The wind rattled the partitions like crazy. Go for a balcony farther back though and you shouldnt have an issue with it.

We always sail with a balcony - never had any trouble with the wind. We tend to stick to midship/forward balconies, and usually stay on decks 6 or 7 so it's quite possible that the extra windiness your husband experienced was due to your cabin's height.

I'm not going to pretend there's no breeze at all on the side balconies, but I think some nice air circulation is great as you're sailing along. We actually had an aft cabin booked on the Pride a few years ago, but after reading reviews that it was very hot/the air was stagnant back there (no breeze - AT ALL) we switched to a suite midship.

We've never had a wind problem until the last cruise on the Freedom. We always choose the Panorama Deck and it normally is calm. This time, on the last sea day, the weather was dreary and there were quite a few large waves and windy. It was impossible to be out on the balcony. The rest of the days were perfect out there, any time of the day or night.

We have done the MR on the Spirit (3x 7a cabin [all around #5176-5180]) and the Pride (1x extended balcony #7190) and have never had an issue with wind on the balcony.

If it can fit into your budget, I certainly would slurge for an aft. Better yet, the aft wrap is sheer balcony luxury since you have views of aft and port or starboard. DH is spoiled and always wants his aft wrap. He'll settle for an aft if there are no wraps available.

Enjoy your cruise!

Balconies can certainly be very windy at times ... even the aft ones.

It's not like an "always" thing and we do like having a cabin with a balcony to be able to step directly outside of our cabin even if we don't spend lots of time there. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Just got off the Dream and had a Balcony on Deck 10(Lido) and had no problems with the wind. According to the ship position channel, when we were moving we constantly had 35 to 45 km/hr winds on average blowing and could always sit on our balcony. We were also in cabin 10217 which is forward. here is a pic of where we were located

SAM_4293_zps20ff75b5.jpg

Archived