Any tricks to earn Cruise Credits?

Sorry for misspelling your user name, lorekauf.

Thinking back, I recall reading about the revised Mariner Society when HAL first introduced it. It gave me a sad sigh then, and I guess I still feel that way about the change.

Thanks, lorikauf, but that won't tell anyone else how many of my stars are from cruise days, nor will it tell me how many of your stars represent actual days at sea.

I ask out of honest curiosity: why does it matter?

I don't mean to sound like the Grouch, but as a longtime gone and now returning HAL mariner, I recall when cruise credits toward Mariner levels were represented by cruise days ONLY. Additional credits were not offered for the type of stateroom booked or for purchases of anything onboard nor for tips paid.

Just recently, a fellow board member described the Mariner program as nothing more than a marketing program, and in its present form, that description certainly fits.

In its current form, how does one know how many of a Mariner's collected stars represent cruise days at sea and how many represent types of staterooms and/or purchases onboard..

Since I am new to the board, my guess is that I must not be the only one who has mentioned this; probably not the first by far.

It is confusing but there are two Mariners programs running concurrently.

The 'older' Mariner Program is the one you remember and it still only credits actual days on the ship (and Alaska land tour days). It is the Medallion Program you may remember.

100 days for a Copper Medallion

300 days for a Silver Medallion

500 days for a Gold Medallion

700 days for a Platinum Medallion.

No bonus days are added in the counts for these awards.

Maybe about four or so years ago, they began a second Mariners Program which likely was going to replace the older one. Many of us Mariners objected (mostly for the reason you site) and they chose to continue the Medallion Mariner Program along with the new Star Mariner Program.

This one grants a bonus day for each day in a Suite and bonus days for on board spending. We get one bonus day for each $300 spent for excursions, bar bill, etc If you do any booking (and paying) in advance of boarding, those amounts will be credited.

The Star Mariner Program is:

1 Star Mariner = one completed cruise

2 Star Mariner = 30 cruise day credits

3 Star Mariner = 75 cruise day credits

4 Star Mariner = 200 cruise day credits

5 Star Mariner = 500 cruise day credits.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, lorikauf, but that won't tell anyone else how many of my stars are from cruise days, nor will it tell me how many of your stars represent actual days at sea.

I agree with hrhdhd, what does it matter? We get the bennies attributed to our Mariner * status as individuals. Does it really matter to you if I am getting a discount, or how much of a discount, when I dine in the Pinnacle? I can see where it matters to you when you dine there.

But if it does matter to you, then the old medallion program is still in effect, and is based strictly on days sailed. You can narrow down the range of days someone has sailed by looking at their medallion---if they wear it to the reception.

I ask out of honest curiosity: why does it matter?

dawei I agree with hrhdhd..Why does it matter to you how many cruise days are for other peoples stars..:confused:

It really is none of your business what my stars or others stars represent..All you have to worry about are your own Mariner Cruise day credits..

HAL is trying to get psgrs to spend more on board..That is how they make their money..They don't make a profit on cabins unless you purchase a suite..

As lorekauf mentioned you can find out exactly how many cruise day credits for the number of days you sailed, as well as how many days were given to you for your spending on HAL's Web site..

cheers..:)Betty

HAL is trying to get psgrs to spend more on board..That is how they make their money..They don't make a profit on cabins unless you purchase a suite..

HAL does not make a profit on non-suite cabins? How is this possible? (And what is your source of info?)

HAL does not make a profit on non-suite cabins? How is this possible? (And what is your source of info?)

There are posters on this board who work on ships, including one who has been a Hotel Manager on several lines.

According to him, the line may break even on the fare, or even lose something. It's the on-board expenses that make the profit. Hence, the constant "in-your-face" push to sell, and the nickel & diming.

Those last-minute sales to fill the cabins are so the ship can sail full, and have the chance to sell-sell-sell.

There are posters on this board who work on ships, including one who has been a Hotel Manager on several lines.

According to him, the line may break even on the fare, or even lose something. It's the on-board expenses that make the profit. Hence, the constant "in-your-face" push to sell, and the nickel & diming.

Those last-minute sales to fill the cabins are so the ship can sail full, and have the chance to sell-sell-sell.

While cost per passenger data isn't readily available I have no problem believing or accepting that HAL, and probably most of the mass market lines, break even or worse at the lower category cabin levels. I can also easily believe that the biggest profit comes from the on-board spending and to that end HAL sometimes cuts fares to the very bare bones to get people on the ship. An empty cabin generates nothing.

I am astonished! So the suite pax effectively pay for my cruise! How sweet is that. Did these sources suggest that this is true of all lines, or just HAL?

But don't the suite guests get lots of free perks, that then detract from the profit they supply to the line? It sounds a little like the line hardly makes a profit at all. Don't suite guests sail in suites as much for the perks as anything else?

Take Holland America cruises frequently.

Book cheap cabins and cruise credits cost less than $100 each. You could become a five star mariner for $50,000.

When we first retired this is exactly what we did. We didn't care where the cruise went, and being retired we didn't care when. Everything was a fresh experience. And we booked cruises inside the "Final Payment" time frame taking advantage of sales using an online TA that specializes in late bookings. We got the copper pins in pretty short order. That only works for a little while.

Once we found out the style of cruising that suits us best, we started getting a little more discerning and and less willing to roll the dice with guarantee bookings. Getting what suited us best became much more important than the perks.

I am astonished! So the suite pax effectively pay for my cruise! How sweet is that. Did these sources suggest that this is true of all lines, or just HAL?

But don't the suite guests get lots of free perks, that then detract from the profit they supply to the line? It sounds a little like the line hardly makes a profit at all. Don't suite guests sail in suites as much for the perks as anything else?

While it helps I wouldn't go as far to say suite passengers effectively buy down the cost for lower category cabin passengers. The great equalizer, and money maker, is once you walk out of your cabin, regardless of category, we all pay the same thing for whatever we buy in the stores, drink in the bars, or spend on ship sponsored tours. As for suite perks....sure they're nice but speaking for myself we book suites because we like the room and the perks are secondary.

I really don't think that the perks that the suite guests get cost HAL much money. Priority boarding? all 4* get that. Free laundry? all 4* get that. The flowers for the first formal night are only carnations (can't cost much). Breakfast in the PG is the same as the MDR just a different ambience.

So, the only place I see this costing HAL money is free drycleaning, staff in the Neptune Lounge and the PG staff in the morning - but they would all be put to work doing something else I am sure. When you look at the standard cost of a suite - I don't think it is costing HAL much money - but that's just my opinion.

I am astonished! So the suite pax effectively pay for my cruise! How sweet is that.

I know I didn't say that, so I don't know why your statement comes after a quote from me.

Did these sources suggest that this is true of all lines, or just HAL?

All the mass-market lines, certainly. I wouldn't know about the luxury lines.

All I know is that if you believe this poster is who he says he is, then he is in a perfect position to know.

I doubt that the luxury lines could or can get away with selling cabins purely at cost. For one thing most of the luxury lines are all-inclusive so some of what HAL and the other mass market lines charge for is included in the basic fare. Yes that's mostly liquor and wine but at least one line even includes shore tours. The other factor is that most, though not all, luxury lines run much smaller ships, typically in the 250 to 450 passenger range, with a lot fewer choices in terms of cabins. The fare spread from top to bottom is not nearly what it is on HAL.

[/color]

I know I didn't say that, so I don't know why your statement comes after a quote from me.

All the mass-market lines, certainly. I wouldn't know about the luxury lines.

All I know is that if you believe this poster is who he says he is, then he is in a perfect position to know.

Don't worry, RuthC, I was sort of joking when I made that comment -- no, you never said that! :)

But still, it surprised me to hear that those of us who don't book suites seem not to be producing much in the way of profit for the company -- at least not in our cabin choices. I just did not realize that is the economics of the industry.

And it is interesting to hear what the suite perks are -- for example, I thought drinks in the Neptune lounge were free -- not so?

Very interesting and informative thread, all told.

Don't worry, RuthC, I was sort of joking when I made that comment -- no, you never said that! :)

But still, it surprised me to hear that those of us who don't book suites seem not to be producing much in the way of profit for the company -- at least not in our cabin choices. I just did not realize that is the economics of the industry.

And it is interesting to hear what the suite perks are -- for example, I thought drinks in the Neptune lounge were free -- not so?

Very interesting and informative thread, all told.

The only liquor served in Neptune Lounge is at Suite parties held there and then there is no charge but a rather good bar. They pass a tray of the usual red or white wine and sparkling wine but guests can request a drink of their choice..... within reason. :)

All non-alcoholic beverages served there throughout the day including from the fabulous coffee machine are no extra charge.

The only liquor served in Neptune Lounge is at Suite parties held there and then there is no charge but a rather good bar. They pass a tray of the usual red or white wine and sparkling wine but guests can request a drink of their choice..... within reason. :)

All non-alcoholic beverages served there throughout the day including from the fabulous coffee machine are no extra charge.

The non-alcoholic drinks served in the NL are juices, iced tea and ice water. Cokes and other soft drinks that you would pay for elsewhere on the ship are not served in the NL.

Archived