Portofino is it worth the extra money

Hi

We are off to Norway in August on Adventure of the seas - its a Birthday while away and was wondering if paying the extra for one of the speciality restaurants (Portofino) -Also, what food do they serve in here and can you still get your drinks package in here - thank you

Hi

We are off to Norway in August on Adventure of the seas - its a Birthday while away and was wondering if paying the extra for one of the speciality restaurants (Portofino) -Also, what food do they serve in here and can you still get your drinks package in here - thank you

If you Google RCI Portofino's menu you will find it on line.

We always go to Chops and Portofino's when we cruise. They have been both available on the ships we cruise on.

Food of course is a personal choice but we find the extra cost well worth the dining experience.

Yes, do go to Portofino on Adventure before the possibility that it changes to Giovanni's Table (although is good too, by not quite the same level as Portofino IMHO).

Make sure you make a reservation in advance if you can or as soon as you get onboard because I found the venue on Adventure smaller than on other second generation Voyager or Freedom class ships so books up quite quickly.

Jason, do you know when those menus are from? I thought I saw different ones recently, though I can't seem to find them again.

I found them on here a few months back, I accept there might be one or two changes but as long as there's filet steak and the tiramisu basket I'm happy.. :D

ydu3ujy5.jpg

I found them on here a few months back, I accept there might be one or two changes but as long as there's filet steak and the tiramisu basket I'm happy.. :D

Ok, thanks. The filet is my favorite too. We are on the Freedom in August and will be going at least one night. Might give Chops a try again too, though we didn't think it was great when we went on the Mariner, but I think that had a lot to do with a drunk table of six beside us.:rolleyes:

Portofino is RCI's best specialty restaurant IMO. Don't know why in the world they would replace it with Giovanni's Table (good but doesn't hold a candle to Portofino). Go for it while you can!

Wanted to add my 2 cents - I totally agree with this statement!!! :D I have found to book ahead of time always has the times you don't want. Have never had trouble getting the times I do want when getting onboard.

And by contrast - I have yet to get a decent meal at Chops.

It is a very nice place to celebrate an occasion (it was the birthday of my DW)- a nice slow paced meal, in a nice setting, with an excellent wait-staff, especially if it is just the two of you. It was a very nice way to celebrate her birthday.

Pleast note, food is always subjective, but IMHO, the food was okay, but nothing superb.

Hi

Wife and I are on FOS on 21 July. Celebrating my birthday and our retirement. I had booked a night in Portofino's and then I found that Portofino's also offers a special, at least on FOS, called a Wine Pairing. Four courses with a wine pairing for each one. $54PP rather than the $20PP but considering you get four different wines not such a bad deal. Also, I hear the wine flows very freely. Might want to see if your cruise has this.

You really have to look for this. It only showed up in the specialty dining cruise pre-planner less than a month out. You have to check each night to find it. It is only offered one night on our cruise.

I asked about this wine pairing here on Cruise Critic and received very positive responses.

FYI, my birthday is another night so we're doing Chops that night.

Hi

Come over to our roll call http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1745862 and don't forget to sign up for the MM..

Jason

I guess I might be the lone voice... It's our least favorite specialty restaurant. Stuffy and over-rated. On our last cruise, they were practically begging people to come there. Chops was packed, but Portofino was empty. We much prefer Chops, Giovannis, and the Solarium Bistro.

I guess I might be the lone voice... It's our least favorite specialty restaurant. Stuffy and over-rated. On our last cruise, they were practically begging people to come there. Chops was packed, but Portofino was empty. We much prefer Chops, Giovannis, and the Solarium Bistro.

Yep, this is a great example as to why food is a personal choice, taste. Opinion Etc. we all give our opinions but at the end of the day that's what it is " OUR PERSONAL OPINION" . When it comes to food , the taste, the experience, you will never really know untill you try it yourself. Have an open mind and go brave. Enjoy!

Archived