A Home on the High Seas

Seafairer

For those of us who fantasize about spending serious time on a ship, you might enjoy this article from The Wall Street Journal on The World and other live-aboard residences at sea (Silversea was actually involved in the development of Residensea The World):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...126719938.html

Of course, there are downsides, too, especially with an aging ship to maintain and the cost of fuel. And I've read that the "community spirit" among neighbors on The World isn't quite as advertised because, like many resort residences, units are often rented out, resulting in a more short-term, transient population. But, still... one can dream.

Imo, The key in the article was the annual fee.

In addition I thought the comment that eventually the ports become repetitive was quite telling.

I am stunned that the Utopia might make it as the price point is astronomical and the inland waterway condo boat imo has no chance.

BTW MR. LUX, I thought any one selling and getting any where near their asking price was incredibly lucky.

In addition your comment makes their sale even more fortuitous.

We have a retirement community here in my home town where a hidebound older group does just what you referred to. It has knocked at least 15% off selling prices as prospects have heard of the problem and obviously don't want to deal with the issue.

BTW MR. LUX, I thought any one selling and getting any where near their asking price was incredibly lucky.

In addition your comment makes their sale even more fortuitous.

We have a retirement community here in my home town where a hidebound older group does just what you referred to. It has knocked at least 15% off selling prices as prospects have heard of the problem and obviously don't want to deal with the issue.

Newlondon I'm assuming you mean clique rule when referring to the issue? Is it resident owned?

There seems to be quite a few residents on The World who view it as an alternative to having their own yacht so the annual fee is not a deterrent. Also, many residents have multiple homes, not just their one home base and the ship, so again, the annual fee is not a big factor for them. The ship is 44,000 tons so they have access to many rivers and ports that large cruise ships cannot negotiate so the itineraries do vary quite a bit from year to year and often coincide with major events, The purchase price is really for ownership of the unit for the expected 50 year lifespan of the ship. I don't know what the wind down entails. The residents enjoy fabulous on-shore events and the restaurants on board are very good. luckily, I am an Exclusive Resorts member and we have access to the 4 units the club purchased on The World. Our 2 trips so far have been fabulous and have really spoiled me for any other cruise style. The ship just had some updates in dry dock and I would love to know how it looks now. It is very well maintained otherwise.

It is probably the most beautifully designed ship I have ever been on, with wonderful detail work. I imagine it has Changed since we were on many years ago. The resident owners purchased it and, yes, the people who show up make the decisions. As Woody Allen says, the world is run by those that show up! We went with friends since you do need to entertain yourself. It is not a traditional cruise ship. Give it a try!

They have eliminated most of the verandah jacuzzis and expanded the spa. Definitely lacks entertainment and is more like a floating hotel in that regard but the service is impeccable otherwise. We loved having a full kitchen (an engineering marvel) and washer dryer. We enjoyed going to the various markets and collecting noshes for casual dinners in. Pricing for rentals is very comparable to Silversea or Seabourn.

As to your original post, that is why the guest suites look identical! I do prefer the juxtaposition of the bathroom and the closet. You can sit in the tub and see the sea!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I don't think that's the schematic for the 2 BR's but possibly for the studios? Someone mentioned a negative regarding rental clientele. I think one would find the "little people" tend to be those who might be be Silversea, Seabourn regulars or even possibly those who tend to charter yachts or might be considering buying a World unit.

That is/was the FP for the guest suites, not the condos. I understand that most of them have had a wall taken out to make them similar to the Silvers on the Wind and the Cloud. They were a drop too tight. Yes, most of the guests we met were SS people, window shopping.

Yes, I think those units are more like suites with a small efficiency style kitchen and completely separate bedroom. 800-900 sq. ft. IIRC and very nicely decorated. The 2 BR apartments are over 1300 sq. ft.. All very nice.

Dusababy, How did you guess:rolleyes:, of course it's clique rule; and so unfortunate because the units and the setting are terrific. By resident ownership I assume you mean condos-yes. People such as myself are totally frustrated because as one gets older the inclination to pay for preventive maintenance diminishes and it shows.

Dusababy, How did you guess:rolleyes:, of course it's clique rule; and so unfortunate because the units and the setting are terrific. By resident ownership I assume you mean condos-yes. People such as myself are totally frustrated because as one gets older the inclination to pay for preventive maintenance diminishes and it shows.

SS cruisers -- small world in all respects.

We too did a little sampler on THE WORLD when it was new - round trip San Diego/San Francisco. Beautiful ship - boring !:p

Re "retirement communities". Live in one -- not for profit -- excellent management and gorgeous community. Gave up long time beloved family home because facing reality in aging -- DIY and maintenance no longer a joy -- so now live stress-free (other than dealing with normal human aggravations) and couldn't be happier. Residents do have input but no clique rule and when I return from a cruise all I must do is deal with the mail. No dreaded routine in re-opening the house - and I even bring home clean clothes! :)

SS cruisers -- small world in all respects.

We too did a little sampler on THE WORLD when it was new - round trip San Diego/San Francisco. Beautiful ship - boring !:p

Re "retirement communities". Live in one -- not for profit -- excellent management and gorgeous community. Gave up long time beloved family home because facing reality in aging -- DIY and maintenance no longer a joy -- so now live stress-free (other than dealing with normal human aggravations) and couldn't be happier. Residents do have input but no clique rule and when I return from a cruise all I must do is deal with the mail. No dreaded routine in re-opening the house - and I even bring home clean clothes! :)

And that is my plan too when I retire. No yard, etc to deal with!

Archived