Carry on luggage NCL

Snowysmom

I am a first time cruiser going on the Dawn soon. I have a question about carry on luggage. Do I need to follow the same guidelines as if I were going through security at the airport such as one quart sized bag of 3 ounce or less liquids? We are driving to the port. Also, when they say 2 bags per person does it include carry on luggage or is it just the luggage you are checking? Thanks.

No. Not at all like airlines. Your carry on luggage will have to go through an airline type belt scanner though. There are no restrictions on how much luggage you may either give a dock porter to check or you carry on. You should restrict the maximum weight though to 50 lbs per item because the room stewards have to deliver all this luggage to the rooms the first evening. Don't want to hurt them. Reference liquids, no alcohol except wine, which you will need to declare as you board and pay a $15 per bottle fee. The security scanners are not at all checking for items like airlines restrict. They are just insuring obviously dangerous or hazardous items are not brought on board.

Once at Port Canaveral I was told my carry on should have been checked as it looked a bit too big for a carry on but they let me put it through the scanner. (it fit fine but I guess that is not what they go by)

Our next cruise out of Tampa I tried to call the port to find out the exact measurements allowed so I would know if I could carry that same piece of luggage on or if they would make me get out of line and go back and check it, no one could answer my question so I just used it and checked it at the curb but I would rather have carried it on.

I have tried to research measurements as to whether the handles and wheels count like on the airlines but have never come up with any answers.

Should have mentioned that it was not very heavy.

Once at Port Canaveral I was told my carry on should have been checked as it looked a bit too big for a carry on but they let me put it through the scanner. (it fit fine but I guess that is not what they go by)

Our next cruise out of Tampa I tried to call the port to find out the exact measurements allowed so I would know if I could carry that same piece of luggage on or if they would make me get out of line and go back and check it, no one could answer my question so I just used it and checked it at the curb but I would rather have carried it on.

I have tried to research measurements as to whether the handles and wheels count like on the airlines but have never come up with any answers.

Should have mentioned that it was not very heavy.

There are no max dimensions I am aware of, but it is no fun lugging a big suitcase around a crowded ship or buffet. The only things that need to be personally carried on by the passenger would be those things you might hesitate to check at the airport such as medication, jewelry, cameras etc or anything you might need before your checked luggage arrives at your door, such as a bathing suit. It is usually delivered within a few hours of boarding. It would be unusual not to have your luggage in time to change for dinner and many people report they are unpacked before sail away.

You really don't hear stories of luggage lost between the curb and your cabin, or of things missing from packed luggage. If you do want to carry on yourself, keep it as small as possible. There is a designated room that you can store a carryon in until rooms are ready, but to me, if you are going to drop it somewhere anyway, it might as well be at the curb. I sometimes just use a very large purse to throw meds, electronics and so forth in.

We usually take a case of drinking water with us, or a 24-pack of diet root beer on board. For carry-on, we have taken a "six pack" of quart sized drinking water through the scanner line.

As others have said, you can't take anything dangerous, but otherwise, there is no resemblance to a TSA security line at the airport! They will confiscate alcohol if in checked baggage, and allow you to carry on wine with the corkage fee already mentioned.

RE: calling and trying to get an answer. If you call enough people, you will find somebody that says NO WAY.

In reality, I have seen full size suitcases go through carryon. If you can handle it, you can do it.

It is nothing like the airport. Only looking for major weapons.

You can check all the bags you want.

One practical solution to the too big for scanner is to simply pass it by on

the outside and then open it somewhere for a manual check. Of course

they don't want everyone to do this it might just hold up boarding !

Now if you are trying to smuggle things by security this has to be the

ultimate dumb thing to do - unless security is composed of keystone cops!

Rules were always made to be amended; changed; altered; abused;

misinterpreted; overlooked; forgotten; misapplied - have I forgotten

anything ? Oh rules DYKWIA (Don't You Know Who I Am?) ! Rules aren't

them the things that others are supposed to abide by but "ME" forget it !

I am a first time cruiser going on the Dawn soon. I have a question about carry on luggage. Do I need to follow the same guidelines as if I were going through security at the airport such as one quart sized bag of 3 ounce or less liquids? We are driving to the port. Also, when they say 2 bags per person does it include carry on luggage or is it just the luggage you are checking? Thanks.

Even though NCL site says two bags per person, you can actually bring as many as you want.

No problem in having liquids in your carryon bag, but no alcohol. If you have wine, take it out so you can pay the corkage fee -- even if it is only for your cabin.

you can carry on whatever size bag and as many as you like. They say two bags, I doubt anyone pays much attention to that, but then, how many bags would anyone being bringing on in the first place. I would think a carry on and 2 bags per person would be more than enough unless you are going on a month long cruise.

Enjoy your cruise: hope you decide it is the best vacation ever like so many of us and don't over pack.

Thanks for all the responses. We don't want to bring on alot of luggage but it is nice to know I don't have to do the 3 ounces of liquid in one quart sized bag routine. We will probably have 3 carryons and 2 checked bags. We are looking forward to a new adventure.

you can carry on whatever size bag and as many as you like. They say two bags, I doubt anyone pays much attention to that, but then, how many bags would anyone being bringing on in the first place. I would think a carry on and 2 bags per person would be more than enough unless you are going on a month long cruise. ...

Even on our 33 days aboard ship we only had one checked bag each and a carryon each. We used the weekly laundry special.

It doesn't matter. People carry on nothing, and some carry on large suitcases. There will be a place where you can drop off your carry-on until your cabin is ready.(It was bliss on the Gem) I think the 2 bags is just for the checked luggage.

I think the 2 bags is just for the checked luggage.

Yes, there is a guideline for checked luggage but it is not enforced anywhere. With soda cases etc, we usually have at least 5-6 checked pieces of luggage (in those ports where checking beverages is possible).

Archived