Sea's in Alaska

planb

So have been on many cruises in the Caribbean and only had to out run 1 hurricane and had some rough seas on that one. BUT never to Alaska and wondering if in September anyone get some really rough seas? We've never got sea sick but wonder if different seas might bring some surprises. We are on the Caribe Deck forward .

When you sail just about anywhere you never know.

We have had very calm seas, some a bit semi-rough and also some rough seas in Alaska in September and other times of the year.

We come prepared on a all of our cruises just in case to prevent getting sea sick.

Keith

Out of my 9 cruises, my AK was the calmest. The 2nd calmest was a Canada/NE. The worst was another Canada/NE with TS Nicole in 2004. My 3 Caribbean cruises were not as calm as I would have expected and no bad weather. So, as the other have said all depends! Watch the webcams for some AK cruises that may give a general idea, but of course you are on the ocean so you never know.

Overall we have had a mixed bag in Alaska, but never anything really rough. I do remember in 2011 when we were in New York getting ready for our Canada/NE cruise reading on cc about ships in Alaska being stuck in port due to extreme weather and huge waves, so it can happen.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are generally only 2 trouble spots.....1 on a RT Vancouver or Seattle.

First, Gulf of Alaska would be your first night southbound....heading for Hubbard Glacier. The Gulf is a big body of water which can get quite sloppy.

Second, there is a stretch of exposed sea south of Ketican before you enter the inside passage. This area is open to the West and could be a little rolly if weather is coming from that direction.

Otherwise you are in pretty protected cruising grounds.

Having said all of that, your best bet is to cruise with my husband. He has NEVER seen rough seas. We even sailed on the Explorer from Bayonne in the dead of winter and the Atlantic was a quiet bath tub-----go figure!

Archived