X Venice shuttle boat cost?

helpthejuggler

We discuss this issue on the Ports of Call Italy board quite often. Keep in mind that if you pay for that shuttle you will often be standing around waiting in a queue (or for the next boat) which will only take you to a single place....i.e. St Marks Square. On the other hand, you could simply walk over to the People Mover, pay 1 Euro and quickly go over to the Piazzale Roma where there is a main ACTV (vaporetto) facility. You simply buy yourself the appropriate vaporetto pass (12, 24, 36, 48,72 hours) and then you have unlimited vaporetto access for that entire period of time. Unlike the ship's shuttle boat, the vaporettos will take you anywhere including all around Venice as well as to all of the other islands in the Lagoon (Murano, Burano, Lido, etc).

When you use that shuttle you get the less scenic route to St Marks Square. At that point, you would still probably buy a vaporetto ticket if you want to go anywhere else. So we think its hard to justify the shuttle expense.

Hank

The people mover was very easy if you don't want to pay for the shuttle, and it cost 1 euro. It is a 5-10 minute walk from the ship and drops you right off at Piazza Roma.

I have used the people mover a few times, but during the Redentore feast I am thinking the ACTV vapporetto might be swamped.

We discuss this issue on the Ports of Call Italy board quite often. Keep in mind that if you pay for that shuttle you will often be standing around waiting in a queue (or for the next boat) which will only take you to a single place....i.e. St Marks Square. On the other hand, you could simply walk over to the People Mover, pay 1 Euro and quickly go over to the Piazzale Roma where there is a main ACTV (vaporetto) facility. You simply buy yourself the appropriate vaporetto pass (12, 24, 36, 48,72 hours) and then you have unlimited vaporetto access for that entire period of time. Unlike the ship's shuttle boat, the vaporettos will take you anywhere including all around Venice as well as to all of the other islands in the Lagoon (Murano, Burano, Lido, etc).

When you use that shuttle you get the less scenic route to St Marks Square. At that point, you would still probably buy a vaporetto ticket if you want to go anywhere else. So we think its hard to justify the shuttle expense.

Hank

I agree but there is also the alilaguna service to compare one day if all we wish to do is one way then walk back.

We have used both the ships shuttle and the people mover. Both cruises were in August peak season.

The first time although we embarked in Venice a early morning flight with a 4 hour stop over in Frankfurt left us too tired to go into Venice between the life boat drill and dinner. The next morning we used the shuttle.

The ships shuttle takes you across the water directly into St Marks square and if you are on the first, as we were, gets you to the front of the queue for your first chosen activity. For us it was the Basicilica. We were able to buy tickets for the Palace before joining the Basicilica queue and then bypassed a huge queue and walk straight into the palace. We then explored the square, shops etc and walked onto the shuttle and were back on the ship for lunch and a 2pm sail-away. Yes the shuttle was expensive.

The second time we took the people mover. Yes it was one euro but you have to walk from the ship over quite rough ground to the station. This took about 10-15 minutes. The people mover was clean and quick certainly no more than a 5 minute journey. Not much of a view. The piazzale Roma is a short walk but easy we then bought 2 day vaporetto tickets. These were more expensive than the ships shuttle pass but gave us a ride into St Marks square. We were at a start point. Beautiful and unique, weren't we pleased with ourselves. after all we had unlimited travel on the Vapotetto. however we just couldn't get on a vaporetto to get back we were pushed and squashed and elbowed.....etc as the Italians do not queue and the conductors let the locals on after refusing tourists. It took over two hours to get on a Vaporetto back to the piazzale and the people carrier. We gave away the tickets and bought the ships shuttle for that evening and the next morning.

Was this simply because it was August. I can't answer that I can, however, advise you to find out the ships shuttles route and think about getting the most out of your day. If you simply want to experience Venice then the people mover and the Vaporetto was fun and if you can push with the best, sharpen your elbows for the return journey. If however you want Celebrity to take the strain and deliver you straight into the square choose the shuttle.

The second time we took the people mover. Yes it was one euro but you have to walk from the ship over quite rough ground to the station. This took about 10-15 minutes. The people mover was clean and quick certainly no more than a 5 minute journey. Not much of a view. The piazzale Roma is a short walk but easy we then bought 2 day vaporetto tickets. These were more expensive than the ships shuttle pass but gave us a ride into St Marks square. We were at a start point. Beautiful and unique, weren't we pleased with ourselves. after all we had unlimited travel on the Vapotetto. however we just couldn't get on a vaporetto to get back we were pushed and squashed and elbowed.....etc as the Italians do not queue and the conductors let the locals on after refusing tourists. It took over two hours to get on a Vaporetto back to the piazzale and the people carrier. We gave away the tickets and bought the ships shuttle for that evening and the next morning.

Wow!

Not our experience at all. Never had an issue getting on a Vaportetto but saw the HUGE line for the ship's shuttle....

And what is "quite rough ground" about asphalt? The 5 minute walk to the people mover is over a flat paved area...

Here are pics of the quite rough ground leading to the people mover :p

In he first picture you can see the beginning of the at least 200 yard line up for the ship shuttle. The stop is near the front of the "other" ship's bow to the left of the shot. :eek:

(BTW, the walk to the ship shuttle is maybe 300 yards shorter than the distance to the people mover which is right at the pier. You can see the monorail track in piocture two which was taken at the same spot as picture one... but looking the opposite direction)

2rqdlyp.jpg

sgn71t.jpg

nwzxih.jpg

2vba9gl.jpg

When did you visit Venice A sixth? And in what month?

I wonder if the port has re-surfaced the walk way and of course it does depend on where the ship is berthed. We were on the Solstice in August 2011 and it was, as I have stated, a long walk to the people mover and we walked over waste ground for the last 500 yards. The waste ground was between picture two after we went through the meshing type fence i.e left the port and picture three which shows the entrance to the people carrier. It's hard to tell from your pictures as we had to walk along the pier passed the Vaporetto stage which was situated further down from the ships shuttle ( we couldn't use this as it was a Sunday and Vaporetto in question wasn't running )and your photos show a turn off just after the ship's shuttle line. It's good to see plenty of people using it as this was not the case when we did.

Where was customs ? We went through a large building on the way out and a sort of large mobile van on our return? I can see neither in your 1st picture. Again this may depend on where the ship is berthed. Perhaps someone who has visited this year may post information for the OP, however based on our experience I would hesitate to recommend the people mover.

When did you visit Venice A sixth? And in what month?

I wonder if the port has re-surfaced the walk way and of course it does depend on where the ship is berthed. We were on the Solstice in August 2011 and it was, as I have stated, a long walk to the people mover and we walked over waste ground for the last 500 yards. The waste ground was between picture two after we went through the meshing type fence i.e left the port and picture three which shows the entrance to the people carrier. It's hard to tell from your pictures as we had to walk along the pier passed the Vaporetto stage which was situated further down from the ships shuttle ( we couldn't use this as it was a Sunday and Vaporetto in question wasn't running )and your photos show a turn off just after the ship's shuttle line. It's good to see plenty of people using it as this was not the case when we did.

Where was customs ? We went through a large building on the way out and a sort of large mobile van on our return? I can see neither in your 1st picture. Again this may depend on where the ship is berthed. Perhaps someone who has visited this year may post information for the OP, however based on our experience I would hesitate to recommend the people mover.

We were there a few weeks ago.

The customs is in the building 107 in the first picture.

I can see if you were on the "other" side of the pier and away back it would have been a longer walk... but there were grumblings about the wait to get the ships shuttle boat... and frankly they kinda didn't let people know that there "other" ways into Venice. In fact it was pointed out that you can't walk into Venice which is technically true... but a bit deceptive.

We were there a few weeks ago.

The customs is in the building 107 in the first picture.

I can see if you were on the "other" side of the pier and away back it would have been a longer walk... but there were grumblings about the wait to get the ships shuttle boat... and frankly they kinda didn't let people know that there "other" ways into Venice. In fact it was pointed out that you can't walk into Venice which is technically true... but a bit deceptive.

The surface was fine in 2012.

I have an inherent dislike of attempts to deceive passengers. I think their shuttle is aimed at the uninformed who they plan to fleece accordingly.

You can walk into Venice so it is not even technically true.

The surface was fine in 2012.

You can walk into Venice so it is not even technically true.

You can? Didn't know that... thought you needed to take a cab/bus or the people mover... like Livorno (for Florence, Italy) where it's a no-go by foot zone...

Good to know, but for 1 euro the PM is kinda neat IMHO :D

You can? Didn't know that... thought you needed to take a cab/bus or the people mover... like Livorno (for Florence, Italy) where it's a no-go by foot zone...

Good to know, but for 1 euro the PM is kinda neat IMHO :D

We have walked back from P.Roma after the people mover stopped running. Toms Port Guide for Venice shows the route on page 3.

Archived