Chankanaab - AI Ship Excursion or On Our Own?

SeeJennyCruise

I've been to Cozumel eight times in as many years and have never been to Chankanaab. Once we did a ship excursion to Passion Island in Cozumel. We've also charted a private snorkel trip, visited different beach resorts, and walked the shops until we dropped at Margaritaville. Our next trip is August and we want to snorkel some and chill on a beach or in a nice pool area.

Now that I've decided to make Chankanaab our next stop in Cozumel, I can't decide if we should take the all inclusive ship excursion for five hours. On our own I estimate $38 total for entry fees and $30 for taxis (with tips). I'm not sure what the cost for food and drink will be without a current menu. Assuming we buy something to eat and six drinks total, I'll estimate that's another $65 - $80 with tips. That gives me a grand total of $133 - $148 including tips and the AI ship excursion is $160 without tips. That's not a huge difference with the added convenience that we won't have to get our own taxi and we'll have a guide.

So here are my questions for you kind and experienced Chankanaab visitors:

• Does anyone have a fairly current menu?
  • If you have taken the AI excursion at Chankanaab, can you get drinks on the beach or is there only a particular location that will serve the AT beverages?
  • Same question for the food on the AI Chankanaab excursion, where can you get the food? Is it only the snack bar or does it include the restaurant?

Any additional advice or experience is welcomed! :)

We will be there in two weeks and will do as we have in the past. That is take a taxi on our own. No problem coming or going. You set your own schedule and are not herded around like cattle.

Prices seemed to be fair and varied depending on what you ordered.

After leaving the park we will go downtown for a little shopping before getting back on the ship.

We will be there in two weeks and will do as we have in the past. That is take a taxi on our own. No problem coming or going. You set your own schedule and are not herded around like cattle.

Prices seemed to be fair and varied depending on what you ordered.

After leaving the park we will go downtown for a little shopping before getting back on the ship.

Thank you for responding. I can see the advantage of going on our own and arriving before the ship excursion.

It is so close and easy to get to I would go on my own just so you can come and go as you please. We are going next week! You do not need a guide.

Thank you for responding. Would you take a picture of a menu while you are there and post it when you return? Have a great cruise!

We were there a couple of weeks ago and went on our own. It's close the ship and no problem getting there and back - plus we went at our leisure, not according to the ship tour schedule!

Hi

My husband and I have been to Chankanaab many times and have always taken a cab ourselves instead of a tour and it was no problem. Like others have said it is a short ride from the pier. Also, for the trip back, while waiting for cabs with others leaving the park we have met people who were on our ship and so we shared a ride back to the pier with them. Doesnt save a whole lot of money as the cab fare is not that expensive...but it is a nice way to meet people and share conversation.

It is a great park with lots to see and do. I love it there. Also, I don't remember how much the food was, but I do remember that food and drink prices were reasonable. Try the ceviche!!! There are several bars that you can walk up to or they will bring you food and drinks on the beach. We have ordered buckets of beer before and they will bring you chips and salsa with the beer too.

Have a great trip!!

After the helpful feedback here, I'm leaning toward going on our own. We may be able to arrive before the ship excursion would arrive. I believe we are the only ship in Cozumel the day we arrive, so it should not be that crowded.

Is the cab ride closer than the ride to Paradise Beach?

I know there are 3 cruise piers. We'll be at Punta Langosta pier. What is the driving time and fare from there? It says 4 to a taxi but how strict are they, can we have 5 including a lap toddler?

Thanks!

I know there are 3 cruise piers. We'll be at Punta Langosta pier. What is the driving time and fare from there? It says 4 to a taxi but how strict are they, can we have 5 including a lap toddler?

Thanks!

5-10 minutes, depending upon traffic. About $12+tip for 4 in a taxi, about $15-16+tip for 5 in a van cab; I would tip the driver a bit extra for the time spent installing and uninstalling your car seat for the toddler. Riding in a cab with the toddler on your lap is dangerous :eek: - I have the scars to prove it! :(

Good luck! :)

Last summer, our Disney cruise ship docked at Punta Langosta downtown, and we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. It seemed to be a 15 minute drive. Anyway, we passed Chankanaab on the way there. They are not too far apart.

I thought we passed Chankanaab on the way to Paradise Beach last October. We liked it there, but we want to snorkel this trip and we won't be using the large inflatables out in the ocean.

Thanks everyone for the info on the taxi. If anyone is headed to Chankanaab in the next few weeks please come back here with a picture of a menu. Thanks!

We just got back from July 6th Oasis sailing. Cozamel was one of our stops. We did not book excursion from RC ship, but rather just took a taxi to Chankanaab. It's a much better option than booking through ship. If you just take the taxi, which is a 5 minute ride and costs $11 each way for a car load, then you have the day to yourself and don't have to spend it with a certain group of people, etc.

When you get to entrance you will be greated by a park employee who will help you figure out the package you want. We just wanted to use the park which was $19 each with the coupon we printed off the internet. But you can get the dolphin package right there at the entrance.

The park is amazing, so beautiful. We walked to the beach area and put our stuff on two chairs under a thatched hut. We had brought our own snorkel gear, but you can rent it for a nominal fee too. The water is so clear and the tropical fish are amazing. Bring an underwater camera. They have life vests for free just drop off your ID in exchange for life vest. You will need to use vest because the water is deep and it's required.

The dolphin area is just down the beach. It's totally out in the open, so anyone in your party can watch while others participate. We also had lunch at the outdoor restaurant on the beach. BEST guacamole and salsa every. For $14 we got chips, salsa, a huge bowl of guacamole and 2 bottled waters.

They have a sea lion show included in park entrance fee too. Hope that helps.

Definitely do it on your own. Chankanaab is a wonderful place and beautiful. It's a National Park you know. :)

You can get some $$ off with a coupon online. It saves a few bucks on admission.

If you want to read our experiences, there are 2 reviews in my signature line that you can click on. There are TONS of pictures and links.

As for the food. It's not a bad price at all. I can say that it's cheaper if you order on the beach from the waiter that goes up and down the beach than if you go over to the building by the pool and dolphin area. We got some type of meal that had a little bit of everything and paid less than what my oldest daughter and her bf did by just buying a burrito over at the pool area. :p I'm pretty sure that my reviews mention the pricing on the things we bought. I would have to go back and read them to be absolutely sure myself. The waiter will let you run a tab until you are done and ready to leave and then settle up with them. We had the same waiter both times and it's a big beach. :D

We are going in Oct. and wanted to snuba and snorkel at Chankanaab. Should we book ahead $59 + entrance fee or are the prices cheaper if you wait and book once you arrive?

Thanks

Since we only snorkel, I can't comment on snuba. But snorkeling is as simple as putting your gear on and walking down the steps into the water at Chankanaab. No need to buy a tour. :confused: The coral, fish and sea life is right there as soon as you walk in and all around the place. :)

Definitely do it on your own. Chankanaab is a wonderful place and beautiful. It's a National Park you know. :)

You can get some $$ off with a coupon online. It saves a few bucks on admission.

If you want to read our experiences, there are 2 reviews in my signature line that you can click on. There are TONS of pictures and links.

As for the food. It's not a bad price at all. I can say that it's cheaper if you order on the beach from the waiter that goes up and down the beach than if you go over to the building by the pool and dolphin area. We got some type of meal that had a little bit of everything and paid less than what my oldest daughter and her bf did by just buying a burrito over at the pool area. :p I'm pretty sure that my reviews mention the pricing on the things we bought. I would have to go back and read them to be absolutely sure myself. The waiter will let you run a tab until you are done and ready to leave and then settle up with them. We had the same waiter both times and it's a big beach. :D

Thank you for your reviews and comments here. I'm looking forward to our trip next month. We're going to take a cab as you suggest.

Thank you for your reviews and comments here. I'm looking forward to our trip next month. We're going to take a cab as you suggest.

You are very welcome. Have a wonderful time. Chankanaab is still our favorite place to go in Cozumel after trying several other places. There's still no comparison. :)

How much is snorkel gear at the park?

How much for alcoholic beverages at the park?

We were debating on doing the all inclusive or individual as well.

I went this past Feb and to rent snorkel gear it was $15 per person. My cousins and I had mixed drinks and that $6 per drink. I think someone got a bucket of beer plus nachos and paid $20.

This was our first time branching away from the cruise excursions and I am so glad we did. We arrived at 9:15 (20 minutes after we were FINALLY let off the ship...another ship and ours came in at the same time and we had to wait until it docked) and were able to set everything up. The first Carnival group came at about 10:45!!! By that time, we were settled and snorkeling :) Have fun on your cruise!

I did not realize that Chankanaab offered anything AI? I'm confused. Or are you talking about using the ship excursion and they offer it?

There is an AI ship excursion on Carnival for Chankanaab. It is about $75 per person. We were considering it when I started this thread, but now we plan to go on our own.

There is an AI ship excursion on Carnival for Chankanaab. It is about $75 per person. We were considering it when I started this thread, but now we plan to go on our own.

Oh ok. I figured it had to be something like that because I was pretty sure Chankanaab didn't offer anything like that.

Florida Heidi Thank you for putting up your information about Chankanaab I did not know what to doin cozumel. I was thinking about going to the beach and my love one going to do a shore excursion. Swimming with the Dolphin now we can go to this place together.