Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I've been very successful booking last minute which have the lowest rates. NCL is the winner with no supplements. I don't find the studios a good deal for my preferences.

I have been able to find people to join me on other crusies that are double occupancy. At this point I won't pay double. :) I am very fortunate to frequently cruise monthly. :)

My next 2 cruises next month aren't solos.

Sailing solo on Anthem of the Seas studio balcony November 25 2017. Anyone else here coming along? All the solo balconies are sold out. I've noticed on the cruise compasses I've seen that they do a solo lunch meet up anyone have any experiences with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very successful booking last minute which have the lowest rates. NCL is the winner with no supplements. I don't find the studios a good deal for my preferences.

I have been able to find people to join me on other crusies that are double occupancy. At this point I won't pay double. :) I am very fortunate to frequently cruise monthly. :)

My next 2 cruises next month aren't solos.

Me too! I book any where from 60-30 days out and get great deals.

I have 2 booked and 1 Stalking through end of year, 2 are Solo. I am not even sure how I will handle sharing a room again. Seriously spoiled!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

September 11, 2017 -- HAL Amsterdam, 14-day Great Alaskan Explorer (R/T from Seattle). My first **ever** cruise. It's been on my bucket list forever, and I finally decided I'm not getting any younger and it's not getting any cheaper. I chose this particular cruise based on the recommendations from friends (they recommended HAL and said to shoot for a cruise that was at least 7 days long in order to get a good feeling for what cruising is about. I live about 125 miles north of Seattle, so I don't have the added concern of flying to the embarkation point.

I went ahead and booked a Neptune Suite -- I have had a touch of claustrophobia in the past and I didn't want to have to worry about that on my first cruise. I've been on smaller boats before -- whale-watching excursions, Washington State ferries (many times), small sailboats, and the Victoria Clipper (Seattle --> Victoria) and I've never had any problems with seasickness. I've also traveled a lot by train -- and sleeping while in motion has always been fine. So I'm not overly concerned about that (although I'll come prepared).

So ... there it is. My first ever cruise to a place I've never been. Saying I'm excited would be an understatement. :-)

ArtsyCraftsy September 11, 2017 -- HAL Amsterdam, 14-day Great Alaskan Explorer (R/T from Seattle).

I'm thinking of doing that cruise next year! Although I've cruised Alaska several times (4th time is later this month), I like that HAL itinerary because it goes to the Kenai/Kodiak area & to Sitka & is 14 days.

I'm mature & really like my frequent passenger perks w/Princess. I have cruised w/HAL once before but not on any of the "Dam".

I'll be eager to hear your report on this Alaska cruise. ENJOY! :)

ArtsyCraftsy September 11, 2017 -- HAL Amsterdam, 14-day Great Alaskan Explorer (R/T from Seattle).

I'm thinking of doing that cruise next year! Although I've cruised Alaska several times (4th time is later this month), I like that HAL itinerary because it goes to the Kenai/Kodiak area & to Sitka & is 14 days.

I'm mature & really like my frequent passenger perks w/Princess. I have cruised w/HAL once before but not on any of the "Dam".

I'll be eager to hear your report on this Alaska cruise. ENJOY! :)

I will definitely be posting/etc as much as possible while on the trip. The itinerary is what sold me on this particular cruise, too. I'm also mature -- retired in 2003, went back to college and spent the next 7 years getting a BA in Music and M.Mus in Music History & Literature. Ran into some gnarly health issues over the next few years, but doing OK now. I want to do this while I'm still physically able.

I've already booked a second trip -- Oceania Regatta, Oct 8-26, 2018 - Pacific Treasures (San Francisco --> Miami via the Panama Canal and Havana) -- again mostly due to the itinerary. If I decide I don't like cruising (unlikely), I can cancel. There are a lot of places I'd love to visit and I can't think of a better way to get there than a ship.

Carnival Breeze, February 23, 2019. All solos welcome :). Bunking in a 4J with a fellow Vista Repo friend. Hubby has given up cruising [emoji15] , so glad I have a cruise buddy!

Our fun group can be found on a popular social media site [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone cruising on Anthem of the Seas on May 25th?

Sadly, not until February 25th. But do let us know how it is. I have recently heard some very negative things about cruising solo on Anthem. Enough that I am considering cancelling. So I'll be interested to hear about your experience.

Anne

Sadly, not until February 25th. But do let us know how it is. I have recently heard some very negative things about cruising solo on Anthem. Enough that I am considering cancelling. So I'll be interested to hear about your experience.

Anne

I don't think the experience was anything less than typical solo cruising-- the cabins are nicer than the studios on NCL. It was fine. What exactly have you heard that makes you want to cancel?

I don't think the experience was anything less than typical solo cruising-- the cabins are nicer than the studios on NCL. It was fine. What exactly have you heard that makes you want to cancel?

I'd like to hear too as I have one scheduled for November 2017. I did sail the Anthem solo for a quick 3 day cruise solo last spring but knew many others that were sailing. So this one in November will be truly solo.

Anne

I'm also surprised to hear about negative buzz about the solo cruising experience on Anthem. Last year I was on a 14-night repositioning on Ovation, which is Anthem's sister ship, and it was a good enough experience that I wouldn't hesitate to book a solo cabin on Anthem.

I'd like to hear too as I have one scheduled for November 2017. I did sail the Anthem solo for a quick 3 day cruise solo last spring but knew many others that were sailing. So this one in November will be truly solo.

I actually have a regular balcony room as i didn't know there were solo cabins. (I had originally been scheduled for a 9 day cruise on the Serenade of the Seas that was cancelled due to a charter. . .I am going to do the Charter, but it is only a week). So let's see if I can remember what the details were:, when I had to reschedule, I lost my on board credit from my original reservation. (that didn't endear me to them I admit). Solo meetings are hit or miss, not consistently scheduled. . . that there is not a host for the meetings, so they do not make dinner reservations for the group, you have to figure it out on your own. That the entire dining room situation is rather iffy, as "my time dining" requires reservations ahead of time. . . before you know other schedules. I had thought I had "late dining" but I see on my reservation that is no longer the case. I think I am just nervous as it will be very different, so anything negative becomes amplified in my mind. I have heard that the ship is beautiful. I look forward to that. I am still trying to figure it out. And if there is folk music somewhere that will make my time very enjoyable.

Anne

I actually have a regular balcony room as i didn't know there were solo cabins. (I had originally been scheduled for a 9 day cruise on the Serenade of the Seas that was cancelled due to a charter. . .I am going to do the Charter, but it is only a week). So let's see if I can remember what the details were:, when I had to reschedule, I lost my on board credit from my original reservation. (that didn't endear me to them I admit). Solo meetings are hit or miss, not consistently scheduled. . . that there is not a host for the meetings, so they do not make dinner reservations for the group, you have to figure it out on your own. That the entire dining room situation is rather iffy, as "my time dining" requires reservations ahead of time. . . before you know other schedules. I had thought I had "late dining" but I see on my reservation that is no longer the case. I think I am just nervous as it will be very different, so anything negative becomes amplified in my mind. I have heard that the ship is beautiful. I look forward to that. I am still trying to figure it out. And if there is folk music somewhere that will make my time very enjoyable.

Anne

Call them and have them switch to late dining. It's true that there isn't a guarantee on solo meetings on Royal at all (this is where they are different from NCL, who actually has a solo host to make your reservations). My experience with MTD reservations are to make them later and if you want to eat earlier, walk in.

Anthem is different than NCL, there's no studio lounge or solo host etc. But i loved it way more than Breakaway (did both solo). I like being on my own, that's why i'm solo! Anthem is just a much cooler ship, and the solo cabins are fine, love the virtual view. Ate on my own in the dining rooms but actually preferred Windjammer -i like a bit of this a bit of that, and the dessert selection was amazing. (gained 6lbs).

I've stayed a studio on Norwegian Escape and Breakaway. This will be my first time in a solo room on Anthem. I'm looking forward to it. I wish they'd add a host for daily activities and meet ups. I've tried going to some solo events on other ships but they seem too up in the air.

Anthem is different than NCL, there's no studio lounge or solo host etc. But i loved it way more than Breakaway (did both solo). I like being on my own, that's why i'm solo! Anthem is just a much cooler ship, and the solo cabins are fine, love the virtual view. Ate on my own in the dining rooms but actually preferred Windjammer -i like a bit of this a bit of that, and the dessert selection was amazing. (gained 6lbs).

I've never been on any of NCL's larger ships, so never stayed in a studio or experienced the solo lounge, I've just paid the supplement and had a room to myself on the smaller ships. However they still have an assigned staff member to convene the solo meetings, and to help ensure that people aren't slipping between the cracks. . . well assuming they attend the meetings. I've generally been okay with the people from the CC meet and greets that I've set up on NCL, but RCI sets up their own, so that too will be a new experience. (and my first RCI cruise didn't have one, as the CC group was too small). If I go, and I probably will, I will go with an open mind, and want to enjoy the experience that this ship is. I am sure that it will have much to offer. Do you think I can change to an assigned dinner time? when I looked on their page it seemed as though it was wait list only.

Anne

Call them and have them switch to late dining. It's true that there isn't a guarantee on solo meetings on Royal at all (this is where they are different from NCL, who actually has a solo host to make your reservations). My experience with MTD reservations are to make them later and if you want to eat earlier, walk in.

Thanks I will try calling them and see if it is still available. It looks as though you will be getting off Anthem OTS as I am getting on. Too bad we will miss one another.

Solo Cruiser to Alaska .........https://youtu.be/DAXtayRrAys

I'm flying to Alaska Wednesday for a cruise that starts Friday. How cold was it? I'm a Floridian who is stressing about the weather.

Pam