How has your experience been with the included airfare?

sjde

We'd almost prefer to get our own airfare so we can use our airline of choice, and get a credit on airfare but I'd bet they don't credit much? How have your times and connections been?

With the allowance Oceania gives us for airfare, we are better off using their included air. We always pay the deviation fee as we prefer to arrive earlier and sometimes stay later. For our next Oceania cruise, we are arriving 10 days earlier and staying an extra 3 days at the end. We checked the airfare and the cheapest we could get would have cost us another $600 per person than what Oceania with deviation and change cost us.

We'd almost prefer to get our own airfare so we can use our airline of choice, and get a credit on airfare but I'd bet they don't credit much? How have your times and connections been?

If you ask you TA for a deviation you will find out what they offer and your TA will also tell you what the credit is. ending speculation.

Good even once when we did not take a deviation.

As I understand it, Oceania will let you know flight options 270 days in advance. The airlines have bookings available 330 days in advance. My fear is that I can use miles to get business class 11 months ahead of time but those might not be available 9 months ahead of time. Of course if Oceania were to offer good pricing on business class, I might go that way. How have others dealt with this conflict?

Mike

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We used Oceania air for the first time on our French Polynesia cruise. Although the options are suppose to become available 270 prior to the cruises this was not the case for French Polynesia. It has nothing to do with Oceania but with Tahiti and Air Tahiti Nui. The credit Oceania offered was based on charter planes and not on a scheduled flight so we could not come close to the Oceania air fare.

For our other 5 cruises we booked our own airfares. We live in NY and have access to two large international airports. We were able to book our own direct airfares for the same cost as the Oceania credit. I have noticed that the credit that O is offering for airfares have gone down every year so it is becoming more difficult to find fares that wash. However, Oceania has also increased the deviation fee so you need to take that into consideration as well as any up charge they add for a particular route.

As I understand it, Oceania will let you know flight options 270 days in advance. The airlines have bookings available 330 days in advance. My fear is that I can use miles to get business class 11 months ahead of time but those might not be available 9 months ahead of time. Of course if Oceania were to offer good pricing on business class, I might go that way. How have others dealt with this conflict?

Mike

If you have the miles, it's a no brainier (for us). On those long, overnight flights, we book business with miles ASAP. Though the air credit is not what it used to be, it's money in the bank.

If you are "miles poor" - then you may want to take your chances with O's business offers.if not happy with it, try to get award tickets later, though it will be a bit tougher the longer you wait (as you know).

If you have the miles, it's a no brainier (for us). On those long, overnight flights, we book business with miles ASAP. Though the air credit is not what it used to be, it's money in the bank.

If you are "miles poor" - then you may want to take your chances with O's business offers.if not happy with it, try to get award tickets later, though it will be a bit tougher the longer you wait (as you know).

Thanks Paulchili. You described my conundrum well. What does Oceania "typically" charge for upgrades?

There was a time when it paid to take the credit and you could do as well on your own. The credits have become stingier lately. Still if you want to fly business it's a no brainer, take the credit and use miles unless you're on one of the cruises where they offer a good fare.

On our last trip we took the credit, it paid for the air, hotel for one night ant the transfers, I guess it is a case by case basis.

Had a similar experience -- the credit we rec'd was for $800/person and I was able to book exactly what we wanted, the days we wanted to travel, for $277/person. It is most certainly case by case.

Had a similar experience -- the credit we rec'd was for $800/person and I was able to book exactly what we wanted, the days we wanted to travel, for $277/person. It is most certainly case by case.

You did the air deviation with Oceania? It's a good way to get your flights at the times you want. I assume the $277 included the admin fee for the deviation?

You did the air deviation with Oceania? It's a good way to get your flights at the times you want. I assume the $277 included the admin fee for the deviation?

I believe that Newbie meant that he OPTED OUT of the Oceania Air Program, and received an $800 credit per person for doing so. :rolleyes:

Thanks Paulchili. You described my conundrum well. What does Oceania "typically" charge for upgrades?

Sorry, but I can't answer that. We have never taken O's air (nor upgrade) - always used miles. I obsessively collect them with great passion - it's one of my favorite past-times :D.

I have seen adds for business upgrades that varied widely.

As others suggested, I would consider it case by case.

Paulchili, I see it will cost 100k per person miles to fly business. If O will charge 2k rt for an upgrade, I'll likely take it. Otherwise, I'll use the 100k miles and take the $1k credit that's offered and avoid the deviation. Unfortunately, I don't know what the cost of the upgrade is.

Mike

Paulchili, I see it will cost 100k per person miles to fly business. If O will charge 2k rt for an upgrade, I'll likely take it. Otherwise, I'll use the 100k miles and take the $1k credit that's offered and avoid the deviation. Unfortunately, I don't know what the cost of the upgrade is.

Mike

it hovers at between $699 and $899 depending on time and place.

For me and from my perspective I cant even come close to getting a fare for what Oceaina is. Not even using miles:o.. no way for me to beat it and taking a deviation drives the cost up even furthur. Spending 100K in miles for a business fare is crazy when you can get first class for the same.

Hence I stick to what is offered and smile

Hawaiidan,

You made it difficult. If you feel the up charge for business/first class is less than $1000 per person round trip, I'll certainly wait. How confident are you and do others concur? I'm seeing round trip travel much greater than $3k from PNS to BCN and return from VCE to PNS.

Mike

Hawaiidan,

You made it difficult. If you feel the up charge for business/first class is less than $1000 per person round trip, I'll certainly wait. How confident are you and do others concur? I'm seeing round trip travel much greater than $3k from PNS to BCN and return from VCE to PNS.

Mike

Just remember - only your "over the water" portion will be in business when upgrading with O. That would be fine if you are flying out of and into MIA but not as good if you are making connections (NYC, FRA, LHR, etc).

I called my travel agent and found the cost for business class upgrade from O is nearly $4k, nearly the cost of the cruise. As you said, thats only the overseas part and i might get routed all over the US and Europe. I'll see what's available with miles when the flights are available.

I called my travel agent and found the cost for business class upgrade from O is nearly $4k, nearly the cost of the cruise. As you said, thats only the overseas part and i might get routed all over the US and Europe. I'll see what's available with miles when the flights are available.

The $4000 fare you are getting ( is that pp or for 2) is a combo of First class in the US for 5=6 hours shifting to international business class for the 9 hour leg. from LAX to PPT. The if is "if" they offer a package as the do on many cruises. And it has been running as I said between 6to800. I think this years cruise offered it...

Now if you can get a fare of $2000 pp...grab it..... that's a good fare to PPT. ( I just grabbed a Business/First ticket from NY to Hawaii for cheap $1600, and cheaper than using miles which cost me$$) So 2Kpp is excellent

If you book Tahiti NUI on your own, you should know that they open the counter 5 hours before the flight. At that time for $500 , space available, they will up grade you to Business. But that's as I said if they have un-sold seats. So there is always that option if you fly in several days before.

The regular rt business/first fare MIA-PPT one way is $3800.

However the open jaw rt MIA-PPT LIM-MIA is $ 4600.pp with American /Delta/

If Oceania gives you air credit of $1000 then that comes down to $3600 rt ALL in first/Business ! that's $1800 each way and a good deal because you save $150 air deviation So now its $1725pp each way and its ALL in first Business not just the over the water segment !!!

It compares well with my NY to Hawaii for about the same !!! Take it and relax. You can always get more money.. but not more time.

This travel is from MIA-BCN VCE-MIA. The TA quoted almost $4k per person business class, only over the water from O. I'll try to use miles and think I'll do better.

Mike

The regular rt business/first fare MIA-PPT one way is $3800.

However the open jaw rt MIA-PPT LIM-MIA is $ 4600.pp with American /Delta/

If Oceania gives you air credit of $1000 then that comes down to $3600 rt ALL in first/Business ! that's $1800 each way and a good deal because you save $150 air deviation So now its $1725pp each way and its ALL in first Business not just the over the water segment !!!

It compares well with my NY to Hawaii for about the same !!! Take it and relax. You can always get more money.. but not more time.

I think that UA's terminology of Business/first is confusing to most. Let's call it just business because that is what it is. Their "real" First is Global First.

This travel is from MIA-BCN VCE-MIA. The TA quoted almost $4k per person business class, only over the water from O. I'll try to use miles and think I'll do better.

Mike

Mike......American flies that route all the way for $3800 pp ALL in Business., not just the over water but the whole deal So not using the cruise air, and not using the deviation is going to get you about $1075pp

SO that reduces it to $2725 pp ( $1365 each way) At that price I would not waste valuable miles because the you can use then more productively... How many American miles does it take to go first class... way better than Business. For that I would use miles but for Business I would use cash

Archived