Norwegian / NCL Charges

Cruiseisle

Never felt nickel or dimed, never felt pushed into a specialty restaurant, never had to wait more than 30 minutes for dinner.

I've never waited that long and usually less than 15 minutes if at all. I waited longer on Carnival for table for 2 with Anytime Dining.

These threads are very entertaining. It reminds me of two kids at the playground arguing over who's got the best bike.

Edited by emcelh

Celebrity gives you a free glass of champagne when you board, NCL charges.

Celebrity has happy hour for its elite members with three free drinks per day, also free laundry for elites. I don't think NCL does this for its Gold or Platinum members.

Both charge for soda, bottled water, alcoholic drinks, etc.

Celebrity doesn't charge for any of its shows. NCL charges for some.

Both cruise lines have specialty restaurants that charge extra.

Isn't there a new welcome aboard type party on NCL in the atrium now on the new ship's that provide free drinks? Can't remember what it's called. And on most ships, there is a Lattitude Party for returning guests which provide UNLIMITED alcohol and snaks, not just a glass of champagne. On our last cruise we were in a suite and got free unlimited drinks at Lattitudes, Captains Coctail Party and there was a Wine and Cheese gathering as well. Beats a glass of Champsgne by a mile! And by the way, these were all attended by senior staff from the Captain on down.

NCL charges for one show by the way, not some shows. I think some people get confused because of needing reservations for some shows on the newer ships and assume there is a fee because there is a reservation.

In 4 cruises with NCL, we encountered a wait once for a main dining room. We could have just taken ourselves somewhere else and just walked in, but we just smiled and accepted the free drink and buzzer offer. Our table was ready before we even finished it, so we took it to dinner with us. That saved us a few bucks, so NCL actually paid us to dine with them that night:D

Dining out is a big part of our vacations and we appreciate that there are so many choices and at such a reasonable charge. Usually never bother with reservations, just walk in when the mood strikes. Never have felt any pressure to dine anywhere on an NCL ship. And we love the fact that there are not just 2 identical large main dining rooms, but rather one large one and a couple other smaller and more intimate feeling venues that we can choose from depending on our mood in addition to the buffet.

On the subject of the pizza, there was a running joke in a review by one of

NCL's most beloved reviewers of traipsing down the hall each morning stepping over numerous boxes of pizza, all with one slice missing:D. There IS free pizza at the buffet, but we have gladly paid the $5 a couple times to have it delivered to us at a bar or out on deck. Well worth the money for the convenience.

I've never waited that long and usually less than 15 minutes if at all. I waited longer on Carnival for table for 2 with Anytime Dining.

These threads are very entertaining. It reminds me of two kids at the playground arguing over who's got the best bike.

Forgot to say that I had to wait 30 minutes one time, every other time it was far less (and the one time it happened we were given a pager and were free to go get a drink, walk around the deck, etc.).

I didn't know Celebrity had a cirque type show.

Have you also noticed the price difference between NCL and Celebrity? Also, have you noticed the difference in perks, if can happen to travel in a suite, between NCL and almost everyone else?

I didn't know Celebrity had a cirque type show.

They don't have the Epic full blown cirque type show, but they have a pretty good cirque show that is a part of one of their regular evening shows.

Isn't there a new welcome aboard type party on NCL in the atrium now on the new ship's that provide free drinks? Can't remember what it's called. And on most ships, there is a Lattitude Party for returning guests which provide UNLIMITED alcohol and snaks, not just a glass of champagne. On our last cruise we were in a suite and got free unlimited drinks at Lattitudes, Captains Coctail Party and there was a Wine and Cheese gathering as well. Beats a glass of Champsgne by a mile! And by the way, these were all attended by senior staff from the Captain on down.

NCL charges for one show by the way, not some shows. I think some people get confused because of needing reservations for some shows on the newer ships and assume there is a fee because there is a reservation.

In 4 cruises with NCL, we encountered a wait once for a main dining room. We could have just taken ourselves somewhere else and just walked in, but we just smiled and accepted the free drink and buzzer offer. Our table was ready before we even finished it, so we took it to dinner with us. That saved us a few bucks, so NCL actually paid us to dine with them that night:D

Dining out is a big part of our vacations and we appreciate that there are so many choices and at such a reasonable charge. Usually never bother with reservations, just walk in when the mood strikes. Never have felt any pressure to dine anywhere on an NCL ship. And we love the fact that there are not just 2 identical large main dining rooms, but rather one large one and a couple other smaller and more intimate feeling venues that we can choose from depending on our mood in addition to the buffet.

On the subject of the pizza, there was a running joke in a review by one of

NCL's most beloved reviewers of traipsing down the hall each morning stepping over numerous boxes of pizza, all with one slice missing:D. There IS free pizza at the buffet, but we have gladly paid the $5 a couple times to have it delivered to us at a bar or out on deck. Well worth the money for the convenience.

I think NCL does have a latitudes get together, not sure who qualifies for joining, but I think we went to one. Celebrity has a Captain's Club greet with the Captain and all the officers with free booze.

I hear that Carnival is going to start charging a lifeboat fee. You have options for what you pay. The more you give them, you get on first. The lowest amount is the rowing rate.

Edited by rbrugler

I think NCL does have a latitudes get together, not sure who qualifies for joining, but I think we went to one. Celebrity has a Captain's Club greet with the Captain and all the officers with free booze.

To qualify for the Latitudes gahtering you have to have cruised just once previously. Free drinks and snacks and all senior officers attend.

Higher level latitudes members also get a Captains Cocktail party again, all officers attending plus free bar.

Suite guests get a further exclusive party with the senior officers and Captain.

The further up the latitudes ladder the better the perks. I am now Platinum and can't wait for the free laundry, free sparkling wine, free dinner for 2 at Le Bistro with wine. I reckon on about a $100+ value there.

Having said that I don't cruise with NCL for the latitudes perks. I cruise with NCL because it is a cruiseline I feel comfortable with.

We've paid for all the choices we've made on all the lines. We've only eaten dinner in a specialty restaurant - in 9 cruises. We've never ordered room service, though we may try to remember to do that on our next cruise - I'm not a fan of eating in our cabin for the most part. I love that Blue Lagoon is an option when we want something different on Norwegian. Johnny Rockets is available on RCCL, but it had very limited hours and there was a charge for it. I've never once felt the need to pay for a dinner show option, but appreciate that it's there for those who will.

I guess the thing I don't get is when there is a charge for something, and you still make the choice to spend the money. So you must have thought it worth it at the moment and have since changed your mind? I did that on a purse last week.

I think that as long as NCL has dinner time waits of up to an hour just to get a seat in a non-fee dining room, while pushing and pushing you to pay up for their specialty restaurants, then you will hear complaints about nickle and diming.

And you should. Those complaints are quite valid.

We were on Breakaway the week of June 23-30. It was VERY FULL. Family of 4. We ate at the buffet or non-charge dining for all meals except one special one at Cagneys. The longest we ever waited for a table at any restaurant was Taste or Savor (can't remember) where we waited 10 minutes. We never had ridiculous waits in the DR for food to come to us. In fact it was quicker than many restaurants back home. The one night we needed to make a show, the waiter was amazing about getting us food so fast we hardly had time to eat one course before the other arrived. We did eat early or late and there were some waits for people bringing huge parties and eating around 6pm ish I think - but I would expect that anywhere - The buffet was fine - one time at the height of lunch hour I had to wander a little looking for a table. It wasn't a problem getting food at the buffet at all and the one spot that got congested was the omelete station where they would assign a staff person to "direct traffic"

We also ordered room service 2x - once a pizza in the middle of the day after sightseeing when we were all too tired to think about going to find food and it was good - not spectacular, but good - and it served it's purpose famously. The other food was fine too and delivered far quicker than they estimated.

BTW, we did snack at the raw bar a couple of times and frankly, Ocean Blue always looked empty.

Also a note - total foodies may be a bit disappointed with some of the food as it is made in high volume and not really "made to order" but the food was plentiful and tasty and if you did not like something they would bring something else to replace it in a heartbeat - my hubby didn't like the lamb one night and they were falling all over themselves trying to make it up to him.

I think that as long as NCL has dinner time waits of up to an hour just to get a seat in a non-fee dining room, while pushing and pushing you to pay up for their specialty restaurants, then you will hear complaints about nickle and diming.

I have never experienced a wait of up to an hour for the MDR. Our longest wait was 15 minutes on Dress Up or Not night and they gave us coupons for free drinks at the bar while we waited (definately didn't nickle and dime us there). We rarely eat in the Specialty Restaurants (once on each NCL cruise). Are norm is to eat in the MDR so this is speaking from experience. I have also never felt pushed into going to the specialty restaurants.

Never felt nickle and dimed on NCL. Have never waited for a MDR table, and on the rare occasion (only once) there was a wait, I went to the other MDR and get right in. Never felt pushed toward fee dining, and have never eaten at a fee venue. Never paid for entertainment. Jewel-class ships have a terrific Cirque-type show.

I believe in most instances that you get what you pay for. So if all the restaurants were free, the price of the cruise overall would be higher or the choice and quality lower on aggregate.

I have no problem paying the extra for La Cucina's or Shanghai's etc because these restaurants are much less busy as a result - the food in all the restaurants is good quailty in my experience.

It is about choice and there is plenty for those that want to pay and those that don't. And the $5 pizza is an absolute bargain because it is enormous and you can order it straight off of you TV - $5 well spent.

My only gripe would perhaps be that the 'speciality' coffee is not included in the recently introduced liquor package. I'd have thought that at nearly $60 a day they could have included it but I suspect it is not for money reasons but more that they would not be able to keep up with demand if people were necking cappuccinos one after the other.

Edited by timmo44

We have cruised NCL several times to a variety of destinations and have never waited more than 10 minutes to be seated in MDR. We cruise in lower price cabins and don't make reservations. We simply go to dining room when we feel like eating. No problem, and often no wait, or less than 5 minutes.

We've never been "pushed" to try specialty dining. And on many of our NCL cruises we haven't eaten in specialty restaurants, just in MDR.

And I'm not an NCL cheerleader since we cruise on any cruise line that has price and itinerary we like. I simply like to make sure the facts are accurate. Sometimes cruisers dissatisfied by one particular cruise think their experience on that one ship will always be true.

I don't think NCL is any worse than any of the other lines. I remember being surprised by RCL when they first introduced their pay restaurant but then it became common on all of the ships. We enjoyed Le Bistro and Cagney's on our short cruise, but on our Bermuda cruise we ate in the main dining room the whole week. I think if you go at 8pm when everyone else is going you might have a wait, or if you really don't want to go to the more formal dining room and everyone and their uncle is waiting for Aqua, but we never had a big problem. I'd rather wait 20 minutes than get stuck at a given time every single night with people who annoyed the crap out of me at an assigned table. BUT, that's why I chose NCL over another line.

I think that there are always those people who have to find something to complain about. Other people just try to enjoy themselves the best they can. To each their own.

What is free on CCL, RCL, Princess, Celebrity etc that is a fee or charge on NCL?? :confused:

On RCI use of the sauna or steam room are free. My understanding of reading NCL posts is you have to buy a spa pass to use the sauna. If this is incorrect for NCL I would love to be corrected.

I've never been forced, coerced, or in any way encouraged to spend a penny more than I wished to spend while on an NCL ship. However, I'm glad all the additional opportunities to buy additional products, services are available, and then I will make an intelligent decision on my own as to whether I wish to spend or not. Having opportunity is not nickle, diming. And, we've never had more than a 20 minute wait for an MDR, and we got a drink discount for having to wait.

On RCI use of the sauna or steam room are free. My understanding of reading NCL posts is you have to buy a spa pass to use the sauna. If this is incorrect for NCL I would love to be corrected.

It depends on the ship; if there is a thalassotherapy pool, there's a charge for the sauna or steam room. valleyvillage says the Star does not have free sauna or steam room because the lockers aren't free. :)

Edited by LadyShiva

Corkage on EVERY bottle of wine.

Yes, but many of the lines (RCCL for sure) simply don't allow you to bring your own wine on, so I don't consider that nickle and diming.

Later edit: Ooops, appears from other posts I was wrong about that; RCCL does allow you to bring on wine. After a decade on the boards, I guess you can still always learn something.

Edited by Lizcourt

. . . Likewise, if people are abusing the room service amenity by ordering between 1 am to 5 am instead of going to the restaurant, a small service charge may be smart way to discourage it.. . .

Exactly why is ordering room service between 1 am and 5 am "abusing the room service amenity"? Doesn't 24 hour room service mean the "amenity" is available 24 hours? The hours between 1 am and 5 am are the hours I'm LEAST likely to want to go out in search of a "free" venue, and the cruise line knows that.

Having said that, I don't think that NCL is any worse than any other line in this regard, but, yes, those of us who have been cruising 20 years or more will tell you that AS A WHOLE what used to be (and was MARKETED as) an all-inclusive vacation with the exceptions of drinks and excursions has over the last few years become in some respects a "you get what you pay for" commodity. Cruising is still a bargain, and, yes, you can choose to forego things various cruise lines charge more for like the specialty restaurants, specialty shows, specialty coffees and pastries, etc, just like you can choose to sail without a balcony. But there is no denying that we have lost a little of what made a cruising a uniquely pampering, relaxing holiday.

On the other hand, to the extent that "nickle and diming" has allowed the lines to build bigger and better ships, with more entertainment and dining options and yet keep prices for the basic experience manageable so you can afford to take the cruise in the first place, I'd say the trade off is well worth it.

Exactly why is ordering room service between 1 am and 5 am "abusing the room service amenity"? Doesn't 24 hour room service mean the "amenity" is available 24 hours? The hours between 1 am and 5 am are the hours I'm LEAST likely to want to go out in search of a "free" venue, and the cruise line knows that.

Having said that, I don't think that NCL is any worse than any other line in this regard, but, yes, those of us who have been cruising 20 years or more will tell you that AS A WHOLE what used to be (and was MARKETED as) an all-inclusive vacation with the exceptions of drinks and excursions has over the last few years become in some respects a "you get what you pay for" commodity. Cruising is still a bargain, and, yes, you can choose to forego things various cruise lines charge more for like the specialty restaurants, specialty shows, specialty coffees and pastries, etc, just like you can choose to sail without a balcony. But there is no denying that we have lost a little of what made a cruising a uniquely pampering, relaxing holiday.

On the other hand, to the extent that "nickle and diming" has allowed the lines to build bigger and better ships, with more entertainment and dining options and yet keep prices for the basic experience manageable so you can afford to take the cruise in the first place, I'd say the trade off is well worth it.

re: late night ordering... Single slices eaten out of pizzas, drunk ordering, etc. Never having stayed awake past 10 myself, I can't speak from personal experience; I can only relate what I've read in cruise reviews and seen in hallways on trays. And five bucks is nothing, seeing I'd already tip at least a dollar a person (or tray) anyway.

I agree with your second point. More options for a relatively stable base price seems to give experienced traditional cruisers heartburn, even while they applaud innovations like studio cabins.

Edited by LadyShiva

re: late night ordering... Single slices eaten out of pizzas, drunk ordering, etc. Never having stayed awake past 10 myself, I can't speak from personal experience; I can only relate what I've read in cruise reviews and seen in hallways on trays. And five bucks is nothing, seeing I'd already tip at least a dollar a person (or tray) anyway.

I agree with your second point. More options for a relatively stable base price seems to give experienced traditional cruisers heartburn, even while they applaud innovations like studio cabins.

Point taken -- though have you seen the amount of food left on plates in the free buffets?

I’m reading a lot of posts regarding Norwegian / NCL and am interested in other opinions on this …

Does anyone else out there think that NCL is beginning to “nickel and dime” on charges? We wanted to know what other folks think. Thanks in advance.

this is a subject that has been discussed for years and years. I think the only reason people are saying that is: they either are not familiar with today's cruising or they think, because NCL is often a little less expensive than the other mass marketed lines everything else should be less expensive.

They charge for the use or the spa: just like other lines:

They have auto service charges: just like the other lines

they have a variety of drink prices: just like the other lines

they have pricey tours: just like the other lines

They have high priced photos: like other lines.

they have several specialty dining rooms: better than other lines and no more expensive, cheaper than most

So where is the nickel and dining? The only place where the price is really high, is BINGO and no one forces anyone to play. We never play; we would rather give a few bucks to the casino than play bingo.

and as for someone claiming there is an hour wait in the restaurants: other lines have waits as well, and an hour would be very unusual. We usually eat about 6:30 to 7:30, which is prime time, We have had as many as 13 of us and never waited anywhere near an hour. Yes, we have waited 30 minutes, which is just about enough time to hit the bar for a before dinner drink.

Edited by newmexicoNita