What's the "must have" food and drink?

dln929

On Royal Caribbean, the honey stung chicken is the "must have" dish for embarking passengers. And on sea days, the buzz is all about the tutti salad served in the MDR. On Celebrity, the homemade ice cream is famous. And for some of us, freshly baked waffles too. :D And then there's the martini bar with the delicious drinks and fun show.

So what's famous on Azamara ships in the way of "got to taste this/drink this" items? Any tips for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of boarding yet?

The Lobster Salad served as a starter in Prime C.

The ingredients and presentation make it a winner for me. I don't like grapefruit but even the few pieces in this dish are just right for the taste and flavor. YUMMY.

On Royal Caribbean, the honey stung chicken is the "must have" dish for embarking passengers. And on sea days, the buzz is all about the tutti salad served in the MDR. On Celebrity, the homemade ice cream is famous. And for some of us, freshly baked waffles too. :D And then there's the martini bar with the delicious drinks and fun show.

So what's famous on Azamara ships in the way of "got to taste this/drink this" items? Any tips for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of boarding yet?

Boy - talk about food is subjective

We have found the ice cream on Celebrity to be so awful that we complained about it on every comment card -- full of ice crystals. The gelato (for a fee) is delicious, however.

One of my favourite dishes onboard is always on first night and it is the Pork and Crab dish, which intrigues me as it's not something that I would have thought worked, but it does and it's my favourite! :D

My other is the Belgian waffles with cream and blueberries for breakfast!

What great suggestions. I have a little notebook that I always bring with me. I keep cruise info, tips, tricks, etc. in it. My foodie pages are sounding even more and more delicious. ;) I'd love to hear even more!

Laraine, I am sorry you found only ice crystals. We thought the ice cream so good that we've never once gotten around to tasting the gelato. However, I know what you mean...after having enjoyed such wonderful expresso in Italy, our opinion of the expresso at Cafe al Baccio was less than stellar. We just didn't think it tasted all that great. We don't bother ordering it any more.

What great suggestions. I have a little notebook that I always bring with me. I keep cruise info, tips, tricks, etc. in it. My foodie pages are sounding even more and more delicious. ;) I'd love to hear even more!

Laraine, I am sorry you found only ice crystals. We thought the ice cream so good that we've never once gotten around to tasting the gelato. However, I know what you mean...after having enjoyed such wonderful expresso in Italy, our opinion of the expresso at Cafe al Baccio was less than stellar. We just didn't think it tasted all that great. We don't bother ordering it any more.

Maybe every cruise is different and the consistency varies -- totally possible that you had great ice cream on your cruise. Actually, I was glad we didn't -- saved a lot of calories.

On Azamara the honey and apple ice cream is so so good as is the cinnamon icecream.

Another vote for the crab and pork dish here - oh and the duck breast in pomegranate.

Another must is the room service burgers - the poolside ones are lovely but the room ones are even nicer

Help you are making me hungry and I am on Day one of my pre Azamara diet (or is that Day One of my post Celebrity diet)

I second the burger suggestion, either room service or at the pool grill. I really like the way they take your order at the Pool Grill, give you a number ticket to hand to the wait staff inside (or at the Sunset Bar) and then bring it to you. I'm bad at remembering, but we were very impressed with the beef stroganoff. I really like the beef carpaccio as a starter. Simple, but it works for me. I found all of the deserts great so it's hard to pick one out.

Phil

The gelato (for a fee) is delicious, however.

Celebrity Pistachio gelato, yum.

We asked for Pistachio ice cream for my DH's birthday on Celebrity and it tasted like the gelato. I asked if that was where it came from but they said from the specialty kitchen. They didn't charge us for it either.

OK, I admit it! Tried various things mentioned on here inc aquilina goats cheese thing (Chicken ceasar salad was just bizarre), but its the room service steak and eggs - ooops never tried it before and really like it for breakfast normally have some kind of oat based product and fruit. But did the steak twice (first one was marginally better than the second, but both better than I had elswhere on the ship:) :eek:.

OK - my favourites are the Aquilina dishes, Seafood cocktail, Bouillabaisse, Pan fried Dover Sole followed by either the whole Pear steeped in Merlot, or the Chocolate Soufflé! Well worth the $25 supplement in my opinion.

An interesting variation experienced between the ships is that on the Quest, the Dover Sole is filleted at the table, whereas on Journey it came filleted from the kitchen. On both ships it was superb.

I would also agree with all the previous posters choices as well, and I know my wife loves the Mascarpone ice cream!

Wow. I am glad I asked the expert palates out there for what tastes wonderful! I don't know if I'd have realized that mascarpone gelato is so flavorful (I'd have thought it was bland). And I had no idea that there was such a thing on Azamara as a jazz brunch but if they have one when we're aboard the Quest, we'll be there.

I have heard that on Azamara we'll occasionally find food that reflects the cuisine of where we're cruising. I know already that we're getting rum punch ;) on our field trip AKA the Azamazing Evening in St. Thomas but has anyone been to a far-flung port and found food evoking that land served to you? Curry in Asia would be one thing that comes to mind, of course, but any other goodies?

Oh and the curry special that lets you devise your own or just eat the option which are very tasty indeedy:)

We went to the curry themed evening on the last cruise as we wanted a break from the MDR. I wasn't sure what it would be like, but thought the food was excellent.

Phil

MMM... Great Thread! A yummy one, we are counting the days to our first Azamara experience and it's sounding even better ....

The most intersesting from the ones I read the Goat Cheese Souffle, that sounds great, I must try it.

From our prevoius cruises and to add to this thread :

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean : I love the cold soups, made out of fruits and/or vegetables

Disney Cruise: The cheese selection at Remy

Seadream: The potato souffle with caviar served in Tastings at 2

Seadream: The caviar platter

looking forward to trying Azamara's food. !!

I love the zeppole with three different sauces...a couple of chocolate ones and a caramel, in Prime C...my idea of the perfect dessert. Also the freshly baked cookies in Mosaics...one was usually my dessert after dinner in the MDR, since I don't really love their desserts, picked up on the way back to our room.

No one has mentioned the Sea Day Brunch, everything is delicious.

Other favourites are Pistachio Ice Cream, Tahitian Creme Brulee, Roast Quail,Aqualina's seafood platter and fluffy Souffles. There is also the amazing freshly made as you watch Sushi. Buffet on the top deck .Roast suckling pig carved by Ryzard, DH always asks for the crunchy ears. Breakfast, favourites are raspberries and yummy European plain yogurt, half a Bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. I have been known to follow Captain Karlsson around in the past at breakfast for rollmop and herring. Waffles at least once on a 14 day Cruise.

Archived