Powerbords being confiscated

Drelix

New rule no power boards

If you don't mind me asking where did you see this??

Good news and about time - real fire hazzard

Why is it good news?, What about the people who have 4 people in the cabin and they all want to change something up?? Or family's who have 3 - 4 kids and they all have a pad/tablet, cell phone etc... That needs to be changed up.

Its like us we got 4 cameras, plus a video camera plus a notebook to charge & cellphones!

They are only a fire hazard if they are very old or not looked after very well.

Another reason not to go back to P&O Australia!

I hate to say this, but if we find this is true, then our days sailing with P&O maybe numbered.

How is this good????

what about 4 single friends in a cabin all wanting to charge camera. Or 4 girls trying to get ready at once?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Been mentioned elsewhere boards have been confiscated from quite a few passengers . I promise I didn't make it up . They are being deemed a hazard

I wonder if the power boards would be accepted if they were certified and tagged as safe by an electrician. I know that crew have to have all electrical items including power boards checked by the on-board electrician and tagged.

Of course it would cost a fair bit to have an electrician check and tag items and obviously the on-board electrician wouldn't have time to check passengers' personal items. :)

Its like us we got 4 cameras, plus a video camera plus a notebook to charge & cell phones!

I hate to say this, but if we find this is true, then our days sailing with P&O maybe numbered.

Its like us we got 4 cameras, plus a video camera plus a notebook to charge & cell phones!

Thats 9 devices.....what happens when all 2,000 pax charge at the same time.

May not be a fire but you will blow a few fuses and leave whole sections of the ship without power..Then what happens in an emergency.

I hate to say this, but if we find this is true, then our days sailing with P&O maybe numbered

Quite a few cruise lines are restricting or banning them.

You will just have to take spare charged batteries with you or be patient and take time.

You must remember that ships power is not like that on shore. The ship has to make ALL its own power and can direct the flow to where its needed most.

I dont want to have cold food thank you just so people can charge their cell phones.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

so what if you need a power board for medical equipment?

I understand they take a lot of power to run but as i said before i normally cruise with 3 mates we all have a camera mobile etc I think you should be able to rent them even?

They should even at least give you two power sockets if you cant take a power board or double addapter

I was thinking about contacting P&o directly about it but i currently dont have any cruises booked.

Now am wondering will this be the same for the Carnival spirit cruise I have booked

Edited by Drelix

If too many passengers use power boards, the wiring system will overload and fire will occur, not necessarily in your cabin. As a ship (or a house) get older, the insulation becomes liable to damage and just age. Ask any fireman - there are often called to houses where the fire originated in the wiring system because of overloaded power boards. Fire on board ships is difficult to find and extinguish.

If that is the case you simply inform the cruise line when you are booking and they will set you up in a cabin that is specially wired for your needs, and if not will arrange for a room nearby for charging, perhaps a staff storeroom or pantry or somewhere like that.

I have heard of people who have to have special medication thats kept in a fridge and they will do the same thing for them if there is not a fridge in the cabin.

We cruised Pacific Dawn 25th May. I phoned P & O prior to cruising as my husband has a C-Pap machine. The staff recommended we take a power board and an extension cord. If this is true and I can understand why, however maybe P & O may need to supply double adapters as a minimum.

To be honest. Not cruising a certain line because they do not allow power boards is a little pathetic and childish. They don't just ban things for the fun of it there is a reason behind it. They don't take pleasure in forcing people to suffer for not having a power board. Plus you have two sockets in the room anyway. One Australian one US, just bring a adapter.

Also on the Pacific Pearl cruise that left on the 1st of the month, I had a surge protector/ double adapter and I had no issues, getting it on.

Ask here, I'm sure the Pearl has UK plugs, other ships will have other plugs etc, so take an adaptor, plug that in = 1 power source + 1 AU / NZ plug = 2 outlets. iPads, laptops, batteries and phones even all put on a 6 way adaptor take less power than a 100 watt bulb. Maybe it's the hair straighteners that are increasing the loading??

Other lines do take them off. We saw a whole pile on a table to be collected at the end of a cruise.

I understand they take a lot of power to run but as i said before i normally cruise with 3 mates we all have a camera mobile etc I think you should be able to rent them even?

They should even at least give you two power sockets if you cant take a power board or double addapter

I was thinking about contacting P&o directly about it but i currently dont have any cruises booked.

Now am wondering will this be the same for the Carnival spirit cruise I have booked

We were on the Spirit in June my friend and I both took power boards ( I had said I would take one but she decided to take one as well), hers got confiscated, mine didn't so they are obviously craking down on them as well. Robin :)

To be honest. Not cruising a certain line because they do not allow power boards is a little pathetic and childish. They don't just ban things for the fun of it there is a reason behind it. They don't take pleasure in forcing people to suffer for not having a power board. Plus you have two sockets in the room anyway. One Australian one US, just bring a adapter.

Also on the Pacific Pearl cruise that left on the 1st of the month, I had a surge protector/ double adapter and I had no issues, getting it on.

A surge protector is designed to protect the equipment from the source of the power not the source of the power from whatever is plugged in. The inbuilt protection, fuses and circuit breakers, within the ship's wiring are designed to protect the wiring itself from overloads and failures of equipment connected. I don't think charging my Fuji camera whilst using my notebook computer will cause a melt down. If they were fair dinkum about power usage then they should start looking at those crappy in-cabin bar fridges that are stuck in a cupboard making them even more inefficient.

But knowing P&O they may make power boards another 'profit centre' and rent them out at usurious rates.

A surge protector is designed to protect the equipment from the source of the power not the source of the power from whatever is plugged in. The inbuilt protection, fuses and circuit breakers, within the ship's wiring are designed to protect the wiring itself from overloads and failures of equipment connected. I don't think charging my Fuji camera whilst using my notebook computer will cause a melt down. If they were fair dinkum about power usage then they should start looking at those crappy in-cabin bar fridges that are stuck in a cupboard making them even more inefficient.

But knowing P&O they may make power boards another 'profit centre' and rent them out at usurious rates.

I never said it was the surge protector part that got it on. I just stated that was what it was.

Actually I found on my last cruise P&O has started to tun around a little. An example is if any photo was taken of you onboard you would need to pay for it, even for special occasions. Now (which was to my surprise) they give them to you for free if its special.

I never said it was the surge protector part that got it on. I just stated that was what it was.

Actually I found on my last cruise P&O has started to tun around a little. An example is if any photo was taken of you onboard you would need to pay for it, even for special occasions. Now (which was to my surprise) they give them to you for free if its special.

Our last cruise wad mid June. There was no giving away of anything. They wanted about 25 for a 4 USB stick and then 10 per digital image, or save it on my device for 20 per digital image.

I would have purchased all of our digital images if they were $5 each.

Our last cruise wad mid June. There was no giving away of anything. They wanted about 25 for a 4 USB stick and then 10 per digital image, or save it on my device for 20 per digital image.

I would have purchased all of our digital images if they were $5 each.

The cost is the the main reason (along with the fact we already have enough of them) we don't even bother getting our photos done. We only got our photos done twice, both times we were given them. The first one was at the Meet the Officers invitation only party. The other was the photo taken for 3rd most cruised passenger. Both used to cost, but now they are free.

I am not from a financial or marketing background and until recently my Darling Wife always managed to purchase one or two snaps from the ship's photographers during a cruise, but not any more. Too expensive and we have stacks sitting in a cupboard. These two ideas wouldn't fit into the scrape, chisel and gouge operation that P&O Australia has become.

1. Increase each fare by about $10 and include 'for free' a non formal photo of the person's choice.

2. Market a prepaid package of photos where, and I know this is pretty radical, the price drops as the quantity increases and include a formal portrait in the package. Great for families and groups.

On the last night of a Celebrity cruise a few years back I watched the staff get all the unsold photos off the gallery walls and dump them into boxes to be shredded or junked. Just a huge waste of power, resources and time producing them to be thrown out.

On the last night of a Celebrity cruise a few years back I watched the staff get all the unsold photos off the gallery walls and dump them into boxes to be shredded or junked. Just a huge waste of power, resources and time producing them to be thrown out.

Yesterday 09:57 PM

On the Diamond Princess we were told the special paper is recycled.

How?

Would not have a clue.:eek:

I have also read that on the new ships being built , it is all digital, but even then they get you , as you can only have them if you purchase the copyright off them:confused::confused:

The photo paper is recycled, like all recyclable materials on the ship- it's sorted, packed and taken off at port.

Nothing terrifies officers or captains like fire does. Fire is the absolute worst thing that could happen at sea (and drydock). So the lines are probably all too happy to sacrifice some goodwill, to ensure everyone's safety. Surely everyone is aware that electricity is a finite resource on a ship...?