Shore Excursions-Private or Carnival

Maysel

I am sailing Southern Caribbean from San Juan on the Valor. Are there any trusted and reputable tour operators that others have used or do most recommend that I stick with Carnival excursions?

I have no problems doing private excursions other than a few ports where there are ruins quite some distance from the port.

If you are not going some place more than a hour or so from the port I would not be worried about doing private excursions. I always google the ports to see what excursions come up. (plus you can go to the ports of call boards here on CC)

I always use independent ones (only ones with strong reputations on here). Check out the ports of call forum for more specific recommendations for each of your ports. I use independent ones because they're often cheaper and I like the idea of paying locals rather than giving Carnival a cut. Some people are nervous though about missing the ship or having a negative experience. I have never had one but like I said I'm pretty choosy in who I go with.

We use both to book excursions but I use Trip Advisor to do my own research for private excursions. I have found some great excursions using Trip Advisor and also some great recomendations here from the cruise critic crowd. Lots of great resources. :)

I always use independent ones (only ones with strong reputations on here). Check out the ports of call forum for more specific recommendations for each of your ports. I use independent ones because they're often cheaper and I like the idea of paying locals rather than giving Carnival a cut. Some people are nervous though about missing the ship or having a negative experience. I have never had one but like I said I'm pretty choosy in who I go with.

I am new to Cruise Critic. How do I get to the ports of call forum?

PortZante-849.jpg

Port Zante, St.Kitts - You'll be here on a Friday.

I am sailing Southern Caribbean from San Juan on the Valor.

Are there any trusted and reputable tour operators that others have used

or do most recommend that I stick with Carnival excursions?

In all the ports of call you'll stop at

there are taxi drivers galore to cater to your every touring whim!

Many people (myself incl.) just wing it, and have a great time with un-structured tours.

You don't need to knock yourself out setting up tours beforehand

but some folks seem to like that.

It's your day ashore ;)

Archived