Lobby for a Platinmum+?

gerry1.10

451 points will hit 500 when I step off the Star in September. Looking forward to my picture frame. Very strange not a peep from NCL after the survey. Based on the question they certainly understood the issues many have with the new program.

Yes that is precisely my point, I think that NCL should introduce another level of perks to reward cruisers like yourself who keeps coming back to NCL, year after year after year.

Yes the survey they had about a year ago certainly indicated that another level was being entertained but like you said not a beep from them since. Perhaps we on CC should start lobbying for it.

I certainly do not wish NCL to change their loyalty program and I think the Platinum perks should be kept as is.

Cheers

Yes that is precisely my point, I think that NCL should introduce another level of perks to reward cruisers like yourself who keeps coming back to NCL, year after year after year.

Yes the survey they had about a year ago certainly indicated that another level was being entertained but like you said not a beep from them since. Perhaps we on CC should start lobbying for it.

I certainly do not wish NCL to change their loyalty program and I think the Platinum perks should be kept as is.

Cheers

I did all the lobbying I could along with many others and I believe that is why there was a survey. They have perfect points for new levels just substitute for milestone "awards" Don't get me wrong I think it is great that so many can achieve platinum perks so quickly now. Good for them. My guess it may be possible that soon the only latitudes reception you may see is for the 100s of platinum members onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It is interesting that on this board, posters take little notice or make little reference to their loyalty status compared with the RC and Princess boards. There are numerous references to Elite/Pinnacles etc.. as if to imply that 'I am Elite so my opinion is more important'.

Is this a reflection of the people or the loyalty schemes?

That's what I like about this board. People are generally treated with respect and can make a critical remark without being attacked. (not talking about trolls here..)

No one puts a "I am Platinum and you're not" sticker on signatures.

I am very pleased with the platinum benefits and think they are generous.

I wouldn't begrudge some special recognition for those at higher levels of days but would not approve of lessening the current perks in favor of requiring more days to get them.

451 points will hit 500 when I step off the Star in September. Looking forward to my picture frame. Very strange not a peep from NCL after the survey. Based on the question they certainly understood the issues many have with the new program.

I guess I shouldn't complain about not getting the atlas, because many years ago, before the new program, we received several "thank you" gifts. We were sent the leather picture frames, really cute alarm clocks with a tiny fish on the minute hand, and passport folios. It was always a lovely surprise and some of them were accompanied by new Latitudes cards designating gold, platinum, etc. Sometimes we just received them as a thank you for cruising with them. Now that I think about it, I'm a little embarrassed to have asked for the atlas just because I reached 250 points.:o I have been credited with 19 cruises so far, but some of the cruises were lost in the records during the big switch to the new program. The ones that were lost were before they starting keeping track, I think.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating...

I doubt there could ever be enough levels created to make people happy. No matter what, as soon as someone reaches the top level they see all kinds of justifications for more levels...its a never ending issue. As soon as NCL moves the line, someone will rush up to it and want the line moved again. And again. And again. You can't design a rewards program that only caters to a small % of your customers.

Its a lot like grades in school. Once you earn an "A"...that's it. You are the top dog...they aren't going to create higher grade levels. When a gymnast is perfect, they get a "10"...nobody runs out to create an "11" or "12" so they have something more to shoot for.

So when you get to Platinum...
sit back and enjoy the ride
...you have arrived!!

Besides...if the experiences you had on the cruises you took enroute to becoming Platinum haven't sold you on the NCL product, it is unlikely that a new level or two (or three) will change your mind.

The cruise
IS
the reward. :cool:

I doubt there could ever be enough levels created to make people happy. No matter what, as soon as someone reaches the top level they see all kinds of justifications for more levels...its a never ending issue. As soon as NCL moves the line, someone will rush up to it and want the line moved again. And again. And again. You can't design a rewards program that only caters to a small % of your customers.

Its a lot like grades in school. Once you earn an "A"...that's it. You are the top dog...they aren't going to create higher grade levels. When a gymnast is perfect, they get a "10"...nobody runs out to create an "11" or "12" so they have something more to shoot for.

...you have arrived!!

Besides...if the experiences you had on the cruises you took enroute to becoming Platinum haven't sold you on the NCL product, it is unlikely that a new level or two (or three) will change your mind.

The cruise
IS

I like the way you put it. :)

Whereas I love getting them, the Platinum benefits (thanks NCL), I do not think the perks are that costly to NCL. Most are cost neutral. The welcome candy, chocolate strawberries, and champagne, at wholesale cost maybe $15. Behind the scenes tour, no revenue lost in the large percentage of cases because most persons were not going to pay for a tour otherwise. And, after one or two tours it is unlikely most persons will do it again. The tours operate regardless. The laundry operates with a fixed staff. The amount of free guest laundry is a drop in the bucket compared to the volume of laundry they are doing already. And only a small percentage of the Platinum guests probably use the $25 laundry special on a cruise otherwise. "Priority" benefits, no cost. Reduced photo prices, probably a profit benefit for NCL. We now buy photos that we would not have at full price. And there is still a nice profit for NCL on the discounted photos. And then the free Le Bristro. I'm not complaining about the free wine with the meals at all, in fact like it. However, I can buy it retail for about $6 a bottle around here. The meal, NCL cost, not much. They are not losing revenue in most cases because most of the guests getting free meals would not have purchased them otherwise. And then the free meal is replacing another meal opportunity that the guests would have participated in otherwise (MDR, buffet, etc.) The cost of what they would have consumed otherwise must be subtracted from the wholesale cost of the LeBristro meal to have a cost to NCL of this benefit determined.

So, no, I don't think there is much expense for NCL to provide these bennies. And...I really, really think NCL has a marketing team that ran all the numbers many times and were well aware of what the cost advantages and disadvantages would be for them. And they also can compute quite easily how the new program would accelerate progression to the upper latitudes levels. My opinion.

Before considering Platinum+ plus tiers they should look at adding value to the existing tiers primary Bronze & Silver. The pillow chocolates shouldn't be a Latitudes "perk." It's a nice touch that should be given to all passengers. Priority check-in for Bronze/Silver is often not a perk at all and the line just as long for non-Latitudes. etc.

Isn't time to lobby for a Platinum+ category with some additonal perks?

A survey of that kind was done a year ago or so making us feel/hope that maybe such a category is forthcoming but not a word from NCL since that survey.

Now that it is much easier to get to Paltinum level I find myself longing for the more intimate Latitude Platinum party of the old days. Don't get me wrong here I was happy when NCL changed the program 2 years ago to make it easier to achieve Platinum status but now there so many on a given sailing that I find it too crowded to go.

Am I the only one feeling that way? And NO I am NOT the snobbish type that some of you may think already!

Cheers

With more than 40 NCL cruises in six years, I would like a discount on future cruises !! I have sailed in all outside cabins right up to and including the Owner's Suite--never the Garden Villa. I do not like the point system. Anyone agree that number of cruises should mean SOMETHING?? It also bothers me that onboard spending means nothing--and that is where the money is made.

Whereas I love getting them, the Platinum benefits (thanks NCL), I do not think the perks are that costly to NCL. Most are cost neutral. The welcome candy, chocolate strawberries, and champagne, at wholesale cost maybe $15. Behind the scenes tour, no revenue lost in the large percentage of cases because most persons were not going to pay for a tour otherwise. And, after one or two tours it is unlikely most persons will do it again. The tours operate regardless. The laundry operates with a fixed staff. The amount of free guest laundry is a drop in the bucket compared to the volume of laundry they are doing already. And only a small percentage of the Platinum guests probably use the $25 laundry special on a cruise otherwise. "Priority" benefits, no cost. Reduced photo prices, probably a profit benefit for NCL. We now buy photos that we would not have at full price. And there is still a nice profit for NCL on the discounted photos. And then the free Le Bristro. I'm not complaining about the free wine with the meals at all, in fact like it. However, I can buy it retail for about $6 a bottle around here. The meal, NCL cost, not much. They are not losing revenue in most cases because most of the guests getting free meals would not have purchased them otherwise. And then the free meal is replacing another meal opportunity that the guests would have participated in otherwise (MDR, buffet, etc.) The cost of what they would have consumed otherwise must be subtracted from the wholesale cost of the LeBristro meal to have a cost to NCL of this benefit determined.

So, no, I don't think there is much expense for NCL to provide these bennies. And...I really, really think NCL has a marketing team that ran all the numbers many times and were well aware of what the cost advantages and disadvantages would be for them. And they also can compute quite easily how the new program would accelerate progression to the upper latitudes levels. My opinion.

I won't bother to try and calculate the cost of platinum benefits, but they are a cost that cannot be ignored. NCL is cutting to the bone so those perks will not be far behind IMO. Every week people turn platinum so the costs to NCL are increasing. The profit margin on cruises is too small to ignore this substantial cost.

I have lobbied for a platinum plus for a long while but stopped giving suggestions a few years ago. I think Norwegian is doing just fine without my input...for the time being. I'll start up again when I go to work for them. Hahaha

Commodore coka;)

Isn't time to lobby for a Platinum+ category with some additonal perks?

A survey of that kind was done a year ago or so making us feel/hope that maybe such a category is forthcoming but not a word from NCL since that survey.

Now that it is much easier to get to Paltinum level I find myself longing for the more intimate Latitude Platinum party of the old days. Don't get me wrong here I was happy when NCL changed the program 2 years ago to make it easier to achieve Platinum status but now there so many on a given sailing that I find it too crowded to go.

Am I the only one feeling that way? And NO I am NOT the snobbish type that some of you may think already!

Cheers

I am totally happy with the plat perks. of course more is always better, but we do get as many, if not more than some lines give. I wasn't plat 2 years ago, so I don't know about a party, but we do get the officers party for suite guests and some others. Plus the reg latitude party and I think last time there was a third party. That is more than we got on Princess. yes, a lounge area with a happy hour before dinner would be nice.

Another level, maybe, but don't touch the platinum perks. There will always be someone who wants more. Right now, the cost to NCL for level perks certainly isn't that much, not even dinner in Le Bistro and it is something many of us really look forward to. If anyone chooses not to attend the parties that is their choice. Try a princess or Celebrity loyalty party, talk about crowds and not even door prices. I will stick with NCL thank you.

I do hope if NCL chooses to do something for those with a lot of cruises or points in the vein of a "platinum plus" that it is something different than an existing suite benefit.

I'm not sure I'd agree that they are the same. Latitude Members receive benefit(s) that they have earned as a reward for past behavior. Suite guests receive benefit(s) that they have bought and paid for with $$$ on their current booking.

I think that the perks are more special when they are gifted to me as a reward rather than given to me because I paid for them as part of the cost of my current booking.

I'm not sure I'd agree that they are the same. Latitude Members receive benefit(s) that they have earned as a reward for past behavior. Suite guests receive benefit(s) that they have bought and paid for with $$$ on their current booking.

I think that the perks are more special when they are gifted to me as a reward rather than given to me because I paid for them as part of the cost of my current booking.

What I meant is that I hope the extra perk for plat plus is not something like a plate of choc covered strawberries that is alteady a suite perk.

I am a platinum on NCL and a suite cruiser and I appreciate all of the things NCL does to make my vacation so special.

In fact on my last Sun cruise there were so many wonderful things my mom and I received. We wondered if they were because we were in a suite, our latitudes status, repeat sun cruisers, I organized the CC M&G or because they just liked us?

What I meant is that I hope the extra perk for plat plus is not something like a plate of choc covered strawberries that is alteady a suite perk.

I am a platinum on NCL and a suite cruiser and I appreciate all of the things NCL does to make my vacation so special.

In fact on my last Sun cruise there were so many wonderful things my mom and I received. We wondered if they were because we were in a suite, our latitudes status, repeat sun cruisers, I organized the CC M&G or because they just liked us?

Probably the last one...

• 1 month later...
Not really. I was thinking in terms of someone who may have cruised 20+ times with NCL or in the 200 to 225 points. And no I am not close to either milestone yet but I am working on it.

cheers

I doubt we'll ever reach your level or Platinum Level but we're going to keep cruising for as long as we can and since we've both enjoyed the NCL experience, it will likely continue to be NCL. The perks may be nice but the cruise is nicer. Would I like to receive more perks? Yes, of course, and I really admire people who have been so loyal to NCL and take as many cruises as some have but I doubt that receiving the perks is the reason they do it.

What if they allowed people to say, buy more perks using their Latitiudes points. Things that they might like to have but wouldn't spend additional money to get. Like maybe 2 for 1 UBP packages or extra bottle of wine with dinner, etc....

Just wondering... out loud so to speak.. :cool:

...you have arrived!!

The cruise
IS

The good news is that they let you keep your status! The airlines, car rentals, and hotels all make you re-qualify every year....

:)

I am enjoying the ride. My issue is platinum is no longer an indicator of a loyal guest. It is now easier to attain then silver used to be. I leave next week for b2b 24 days. Those 2 cruises alone would make me platinum under the current program. Under the old program I would still be bronze.

I don't think those of us who have issues are looking for more perks but reasonable recognition for the business we have chosen to give NCL. A picture frame is not reasonable recognition for 500 points

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

I am enjoying the ride. My issue is platinum is no longer an indicator of a loyal guest. It is now easier to attain then silver used to be. I leave next week for b2b 24 days. Those 2 cruises alone would make me platinum under the current program. Under the old program I would still be bronze.

I don't think those of us who have issues are looking for more perks but reasonable recognition for the business we have chosen to give NCL. A picture frame is not reasonable recognition for 500 points

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

I understand where you're coming from, however I think the issue might be te change in the program.

Latitudes USED to be a loyalty program...every time you were loyal (chose NCL) it counted toward your level.

This new program isn't a loyalty program...it is a REWARD program (hence the name change) where you are rewarded for specific behaviors (book longer cruises, book a suite, book a certain monthly special, book in advance) instead of your loyalty...which explains why the levels come so easy to people now.

It won't be long until they change it though...much like CAS changed their program to make you requalify each year, it wouldn't be a surprise if Latitudes Rewards became based on points you earned "in the last XX months of sailing".

Archived