Iceland - questions answered

We will have two days in mid-May and are staying near the airport in Keflavik. We are renting a car and plan on driving the Golden Circle with a stop at the Fontana hot springs. We were planning on the Blue Lagoon on day 2 since we fly out at 5 PM. What could we do instead of Blue Lagoon since I don't think it will be as appealing if we do Fontana? Also, we arrive at 3 pm on a Tuesday. There will be plenty of daylight. Any suggestions for an evening activity? Thank you.

We will have two days in mid-May and are staying near the airport in Keflavik. We are renting a car and plan on driving the Golden Circle with a stop at the Fontana hot springs. We were planning on the Blue Lagoon on day 2 since we fly out at 5 PM. What could we do instead of Blue Lagoon since I don't think it will be as appealing if we do Fontana? Also, we arrive at 3 pm on a Tuesday. There will be plenty of daylight. Any suggestions for an evening activity? Thank you.

I've been thinking about the same question --Blue Lagoon or ?. We will not have a car and are staying at Northern Light Inn but I think we may regret not going to BL as we will never get to Iceland again.

The Keflavik Peninsula is fascinating in and of itself. Lots of lighthouses and cute towns, and there's a bubbling mud pot not far from the Blue Lagoon area. Sun set is very late in Mid May (if at all!), so you can continue to tour or find a nice restaurant for dinner. We had a GREAT meal here last month, and there are dozens of restaurants and nightclubs in Reykjavik!

I've been thinking about the same question --Blue Lagoon or ?. We will not have a car and are staying at Northern Light Inn but I think we may regret not going to BL as we will never get to Iceland again.

I am not sure why you would want to stay at the Northern Light Inn or at the Blue Lagoon Inn unless you were going to enjoy the spa. There are nice hotels in Grindavik and in Reykjanesbaer, which are two towns near the airport.

We did one night at the Blue Lagoon Inn last month. Very pricey, but it included admission to the Lagoon on our day of arrival and on our day of departure, and robes and towels, which made the hotel stay quite affordable. Otherwise, you're paying for the location but not taking advantage of it.

Edited by Nitemare

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in Vik? I need 1 night for June 18,2014 for 2 adults, 2 children. Private bathroom would be a plus. Budget not more than $150. Thanks!

I already checked the major travel sights.

Edited by deniuh

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in Vik? I need 1 night for June 18,2014 for 2 adults, 2 children. Private bathroom would be a plus. Budget not more than $150. Thanks!

You can try this site as well: http://accommodation.is/accommodation-iceland-map/

Vik itself is a very small town so don't restrict your search just to Vik itself.

We stayed here for one night last summer, and for 3 nights in March of this year. The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is great, and the people are very friendly. It's about a 3 minute ride east of Vik, and you should be able to get a room for that price, although I'm not sure about any charges for more than 2 in a room.

Thanks Karith and Nightmare for the recommendations. I will check them out. Our trip is a month away and I am freaking out. We have 4 nights booked in Reyk, 1 in Grindavik so this is the last accommodation I am looking for.

If anyone has a car rental agency they can recommend that would be great. We haven't done a land trip to Europe in awhile. I am so spoiled by cruising that planning every detail for Iceland is unnerving. I just want to make sure my kids (both under 6) are comfortable. Thanks again!

Thanks Karith and Nightmare for the recommendations. I will check them out. Our trip is a month away and I am freaking out. We have 4 nights booked in Reyk, 1 in Grindavik so this is the last accommodation I am looking for.

If anyone has a car rental agency they can recommend that would be great. We haven't done a land trip to Europe in awhile. I am so spoiled by cruising that planning every detail for Iceland is unnerving. I just want to make sure my kids (both under 6) are comfortable. Thanks again!

Don't worry. Just book through one of the regular car rental agencies like Hertz or Europcar(http://www.holdur.is/en)

There is essentially just one road in Iceland and the country is very safe. Just take care when driving.

Grindavik is very cute. Make sure you drive down the jetty to the lighthouse and past all the shipwrecks!

This is a great restaurant there

This is another hotel that might work for you, it's just west of Vik. We met the proprietor when we did a glacier tour. Might be too expensive, though. It looks really nice from the "highway"

Edited by Nitemare

We're supposed to be flying out of DC on the 30th and into Iceland on the 31st...with the way things are going with IcelandAir right now all my plans are on hold and I don't even know if we'll get there or not or if I need to be looking at Plan B as Plan A has us flying out on June 2 for London to catch a cruise on the 4th. Hopefully all this can be sorted out soon otherwise it looks like we'll completely miss Iceland and fly directly to England.:(

We're supposed to be flying out of DC on the 30th and into Iceland on the 31st...with the way things are going with IcelandAir right now all my plans are on hold and I don't even know if we'll get there or not or if I need to be looking at Plan B as Plan A has us flying out on June 2 for London to catch a cruise on the 4th. Hopefully all this can be sorted out soon otherwise it looks like we'll completely miss Iceland and fly directly to England.:(

No worries, there won't be a strike. It was resolved a few minutes ago.

Don't worry. Just book through one of the regular car rental agencies like Hertz or Europcar(http://www.holdur.is/en)

There is essentially just one road in Iceland and the country is very safe. Just take care when driving.

Oh thank you so much. Life saver. I don't know why I didn't think to come to cruise critic. You always have the answers!

We will be in Reykjavik one day and want to see as much as possible. Is the port where the cruise ships dock walking distance to town? Are there local tour companies you would recommend to see sights such as the Golden Circle (three waterfalls), Thingveilir National Park, and the Blue Lagoon? What other recommendations might you have for people who like waterfalls, mountainous scenary, and outdoor attractions?

Thank you!

Yes it is walking distance.

For our Golden Circle tour, we used David at Iceland Horizons. Great customer service, fantastic information (he's British, but has lived in Iceland for over 10 years), comfortable transport, etc.

For a one day visit with those goals, the Golden Circle is what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

my family and i will be in iceland june 28-july3 this year. we are staying hotel wise in rejkyavik the entire trip and taking day trips from there. we have a day at golden circle, a day to fly to the north and do the game of thrones tour and see lake mytvan.

we really want to ride horses somewhere and do a small whale watching cruise? does anyone have recommendations on the best companies to do these with where there wont be a million people?

also, where are the best places to eat in the city that have authentic iceland faire and dont completely break the budget!! thanks so much for any assistance.

I'd suggest you do one night not in Reykjavik, but instead stay in/near Vik, so you can see the sites in southern Iceland. From Vik you can do an excursion to http://www.jokulsarlon.is/ to see the Floating icebergs, and also see Vatnajokull park.

Lots of whalewatching companies in Husavik, Akureyri, and Reykjavik, with so many choices it's not hard to find one that won't be overcrowded.

Baejarins Beztu Pylsur and Sea Baron (Saegreifinn) are the two most recommended affordable places to eat in Reykjavik. If you go to the Blue Lagoon, we really liked the Salt House in Grindavik:

We have layovers in Reykjavik on our way to and from our cruise in July. The first day is about 10 hours, 6 am to 4:40pm; we figure we'll find someplace to have a good breakfast (any suggestions?) and then head over to Blue Lagoon for the day.

On the way home, though, our layover is 2am to 4:40 pm. Assuming we have the energy to do anything, we were thinking of maybe getting a rental car and spending some time on the Golden Circle. Logistically, will this work? Will there be someplace at the airport to rent a car very early in the morning? And will we be able to see anything decent on the Golden Circle in just a few hours? We figure we have to be back at the airport by 2:00pm at the very latest.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Robin

I just got all caught up on this post WOW Great information Thanks so much

We just booked a cruise for next year. We will be in Revkjavik the first of July 2015. We arrive around 1pm and leave next day at 2pm. If we rent a car the first day, will we have time to do the Golden Circle tour? I know it stays light till late. About how long would the drive take...stopping along the way. And would we see any Puffins along this route?

The next day we could go to the BL in the am, and wander around the town till we need to leave. Would this work? Or should we skip the BL to spend more time in town?

And when is the best time of the year for whale watching? Thanks again for all your help.

We have layovers in Reykjavik on our way to and from our cruise in July. The first day is about 10 hours, 6 am to 4:40pm; we figure we'll find someplace to have a good breakfast (any suggestions?) and then head over to Blue Lagoon for the day.

On the way home, though, our layover is 2am to 4:40 pm. Assuming we have the energy to do anything, we were thinking of maybe getting a rental car and spending some time on the Golden Circle. Logistically, will this work? Will there be someplace at the airport to rent a car very early in the morning? And will we be able to see anything decent on the Golden Circle in just a few hours? We figure we have to be back at the airport by 2:00pm at the very latest.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Robin

Pretty sure that when flights are landing, the rental car places are open. I know they were open at 6AM a couple months ago. Check when you reserve your car to make certain, though. And you'll have plenty of time to see the Golden Circle from the airport and to get back in time for your flight.

I just got all caught up on this post WOW Great information Thanks so much

We just booked a cruise for next year. We will be in Revkjavik the first of July 2015. We arrive around 1pm and leave next day at 2pm. If we rent a car the first day, will we have time to do the Golden Circle tour? I know it stays light till late. About how long would the drive take...stopping along the way. And would we see any Puffins along this route?

The next day we could go to the BL in the am, and wander around the town till we need to leave. Would this work? Or should we skip the BL to spend more time in town?

And when is the best time of the year for whale watching? Thanks again for all your help.

July is definitely Puffin season. There are many companies offering Puffin cruises out of Reykjavik harbor. Also whale watches. But you can't do those and do the Golden Circle. You will have nearly 24 sunlight at that time of year, so getting to the Golden Circle highlights at 10PM or so shouldn't be a problem, assuming you're awake enough to drive in a foreign country and to enjoy the sites!

July is definitely Puffin season. There are many companies offering Puffin cruises out of Reykjavik harbor. Also whale watches. But you can't do those and do the Golden Circle. You will have nearly 24 sunlight at that time of year, so getting to the Golden Circle highlights at 10PM or so shouldn't be a problem, assuming you're awake enough to drive in a foreign country and to enjoy the sites!

Thanks Nitemare.... about how long will the Golden Circle tour take?

We have just come back from a cruise to Iceland we docked at Akureryi which is a small town with the usual amount of shops basically a one street, we did our own thing but you can go on a whale watching trip which was £50 in UK sterling. The shop where you book it shows the rates in other moneys. We then sailed on to Isjafjorduh and basically it was a barren land, there is only 3.500 people who live there and because it was a sunday only the coffee shop was open. We went as far as the church in the middle of the town with attached cemetry and then returned to the ship. We then sailed on to Reykjavik where we had booked a flight - originally meant to be a helicopter - we were flew over the volcano / glacier / geysir / and waterfalls. It was quite expensive at £265 each but we were in the air for nearly 2 hours with a pre flight guide by the pilot who gave a running commentary while flying. When we go back to the ship we found out that one of our fellow passengers had gone to the airport themselves and paid £150 each for a helicopter flight which actually landed on the volcano which was what we thought we were supposed to do. All in in 3 days we had a brilliant time there, found it to be not too expensive i would say Norway was more so, very cold as expected and windy but as there is little to see we woulnt go back again.

Yes it is walking distance.

For our Golden Circle tour, we used David at Iceland Horizons. Great customer service, fantastic information (he's British, but has lived in Iceland for over 10 years), comfortable transport, etc.

For a one day visit with those goals, the Golden Circle is what you want.

Thank you -- this is very helpful!