Iceland - questions answered

Hello,

We will be in Reykjavik for 2 full days/nights on our way to catch a cruise that will bring us back to Reykjavik for a shore excursion day. We will also have a ship day in Akureyi & Isafjordur.

To make the most of our times in the Reykjavik area, I thought to do a Golden Circle tour on the first day, and maybe a South Coast tour on the second day. Then on the ship day, explore the city area, either via tour, HoHo or Segway. (I agree that with all else there is to see, the Blue Lagoon would be like a visit to a spa.)

My questions:

1. Does my above plan show us what we "should" see in the time available? Suggestions?

2. After the Golden Circle tour, what other tour would be the next tour that we "should" we do next. Should we go north or south?

3. I've researched the various tour companies on CC & TripAdvisor. Are there any tour companies that anyone can strongly recommend?

4. What are the must sees in the Reykjavik city area? What is the best way to see the city?

Many thanks in advance.

We're with you, that one day back in Reyjkavik

I can't answer all your questions, but I would rent a car while you are there. It's must more cost effective than a tour of the Golden Circle, etc. It's easy to get around and you can rent a GPS with the car.

Personally, since you have time, I wouldn't miss the Blue Lagoon. Such a relaxing day, although it's not cheap. We spent about 4 hours there and wish we had set aside more time in the day

The city itself is easy to walk around, without a car. Very compact.

The Golden Circle takes the most time, so definitely good to do while you are there the first time.

Agreed on renting a car yourself. All the Golden Circle and South Coast sites are on major, well marked roads. A good map and a GPS would make these visits simple. I'd suggest the South trip over the North as there's more to see in that direction (waterfalls, glaciers, icebergs). If you are willing to explore for 13-14 hours (you will have unlimited daylight), you can get all the way to the Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon from Reykjavik, stopping at 2 major waterfalls and 2 glaciers en route. Going North is great if you want to go to the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, which is gorgeous, but I prefer the south.

And your other day should be the Golden Circle. Either on your own, or with a guide. We used Iceland Horizons in 2012, and were thrilled with the tour. David from that company also directed us to a SuperJeep tour company in the south that we took last week and also were very happy with.

Much as I love the Blue Lagoon, I couldn't recommend it over seeing the glory of Iceland's beauty, unless you're a huge fan of spas.

We were recently in the Caribbean on the island of St. Lucia and went to the sulphur springs. The odor was quite strong, and a few people became nauseous. A woman there said that she had once lived in Iceland, and it had that same odor of sulphur everywhere. Should it be a consideration when planning a visit? I've never read anything about that issue.

We smelled sulfur a few places. Near the Blue Lagoon, and near other places where there is steam/mud/water coming out of the ground. And the hot water in hotels coming out of the tap/shower can have a bit of the smell.

To add about Iceland Horizons, they take you in a smaller minibus/van type tour, of 12-14 people. No huge tourbus with 50 other people at every site you stop at, so it's much more personalized, much less waiting, and easier to ask questions (and get them answered) than if you're on a huge bus.

To add about Iceland Horizons, they take you in a smaller minibus/van type tour, of 12-14 people. No huge tourbus with 50 other people at every site you stop at, so it's much more personalized, much less waiting, and easier to ask questions (and get them answered) than if you're on a huge bus.

I will check out what you said. Many thanks for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been observing the Iceland web cams (http://www.livefromiceland.is) and am surprised at the amount of tourists there in the winter. A sunny day seems rare due to snow and sometimes rain. I enjoy watching the geysers erupting. There doesn't seem to be much traffic in the capital.

My guess is that our cruiseship (Eurodam) in Sept. will be at Skarfabaki and there will be a shuttle to the center of the city. We do have a Golden Circle tour booked for a small group. Counting the days!!!

I have been observing the Iceland web cams (http://www.livefromiceland.is) and am surprised at the amount of tourists there in the winter. A sunny day seems rare due to snow and sometimes rain. I enjoy watching the geysers erupting. There doesn't seem to be much traffic in the capital.

My guess is that our cruiseship (Eurodam) in Sept. will be at Skarfabaki and there will be a shuttle to the center of the city. We do have a Golden Circle tour booked for a small group. Counting the days!!!

We had sun every day from March 1 to 5th (along with some snow on 3 of the days, to be sure), but it was warmer there every day than it was back home in Boston.

Much smaller crowds at the sites along the southern part of the country than during the summer. We stayed out of Reykjavik, so I can't comment on the crowds there.

Groupon has a 5 day winter/shoulder deal they put up over the weekend, looks good for first timers!

Yes, they have brewed coffee:-) I had it at our hotel café. It was a bit strong for my liking, but just coffee.

We are doing a 10 day tour of Iceland in May and was wondering if they have good old brewed coffee like in the US. Can anyone advise. I don't like Cappachinos (spelled wrong probably) or iced coffee. Want good old brewed coffee.

After browsing through the excellent Copenhagen thread I thought about starting one for Iceland as well:

I'm a regular cruiser that lives in Reykjavik, Iceland and not affiliated with any tour companies. So if you have any questions about the Icelandic ports of call and surrounding attractions feel free to ask.

Main port: Reykjavik (Capital).

Secondary ports: Akureyri (largest town in the north of Iceland), Seydisfjordur (a small town on the east coast) and Isafjordur (a town in the rugged northwestern part of Iceland).

Hiya

Many thanks for offering. I would like to book a cruise to Iceland at the beginning of June this year. The price is considerably cheaper than later on. Is there a reason for this? ie in terms of weather, things to do etc. Also do I need to learn Icelandic? I don't like to go somewhere and not knowing how to speak the lingo. What tours should we do? Will be there for 2 days. Best wishes.

Hiya

Many thanks for offering. I would like to book a cruise to Iceland at the beginning of June this year. The price is considerably cheaper than later on. Is there a reason for this? ie in terms of weather, things to do etc. Also do I need to learn Icelandic? I don't like to go somewhere and not knowing how to speak the lingo. What tours should we do? Will be there for 2 days. Best wishes.

The price difference would have a lot to do with school holidays in various parts of the world.

Simple supply and demand. Many want to go it is more expensive. Nobody wants to go, you get a bargain.

Dont worry about the language. (but learn a few phrases if you like!)

I bet 98% of the people you come accreoss will speak English (and a few other languages).

Being such (no disrespect intended) a small country with an isolated language, the people are pretty much forced to learn a "major" language to be competative globaly.

Pretty much the same applies to Norway, Finland, Sweden etc.

People spek excellent English with really cute accents (which is a lot easier to understand than an Irish or Scottish accent) :-)

We'll be there in August for one day. Any suggestions for what, where and how to get the most out of our day? Thanks.

How long are you in port?

The East Fjords are (to me) the least interesting part of Iceland. Of course the least interesting part of Iceland is much more interesting than pretty much anywhere else I've been!!

If you can rent a car, a ride up to Myvatn is a good choice. There's a great geothermal bath just before you get to the town, and there's a caldera (Hverfell) that you can climb with just a little effort. You can also take a side trip to Dettifoss and Námaskarð Pass (these are both near Myvatn). This is easily a 4 hour trip each way, so be advised.

If you're not getting a car, then an excursion to the Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon would be your best choice, to see all the floating icebergs. Or you can rent a car and go to Jokulsarlon and to Skaftafell and check out the glaciers there. This is a slightly shorter trip than the other one

Edited by Nitemare

First off, thank you karlth for starting this thread and all the wonderful insight you and others have provided!

Now here is my question:

My DH and I will be arriving at KEF at 6:20 am on May 31st and departing at 7:40 am on June 2nd. The plan is to get a rental car and drive to a guesthouse a few miles before Vik and spend the night there on the 31st, and then drive back and spend the night in Keflavik on June 1st. With that said, I'm interested in your thoughts on how to make the most of our time in seeing the highlights of the Golden Circle - should we do it on the way to Vik or the way back? I know that because of our route we'll be able to catch some of the sites along the South Coast as well and want to best plan our days.

A bit about us: we're really not into hiking (well, I am, but my DH isn't) and are just looking to enjoy the fabulous scenery that Iceland is known for; get out and get up close (but not TOO close!) to some of the amazing waterfalls; maybe soak in a hot spring (I'd prefer to stay away from the Blue Lagoon if there is something else available - with the TripAdvisor rankings I don't know if I really want to fork over that much money for something that I could get much cheaper elsewhere - we've been to Costa Rica so the concept is familiar although the backdrop will be 180 degrees different); try those famous Icelandic hot dogs; and learn a bit about Iceland's history (I am a history major so I treat every overseas vacation as a study abroad trip :o).

Edited by suzski

Fontana is what I would have recommended . . . but we have managed somehow to not get there yet (not sure how).

May I ask where near Vik you are staying?

There's a restaurant in Vik I strongly recommend, called Halldorskaffi. Great soups and breads, good pizza, delicious seafood.

You should have time on one day to do the Golden Circle + Fontana. The other day, if you have a good 4 wheel drive vehicle, you should head for these roads:

221: Where you drive a few km down a terrible road, and park about 200 yards (easy walk) from a glacier that you can get great pictures of (and an easy climb on to parts, if you'd like). There are tour companies there if you want to get really adventurous, or you can just walk there by yourself

218: to Dyrholaey, which is a black sand beach, and cliffs where you should be able to see Puffins up close. There is also a slightly scary mountain you can drive up with your 4 wheel drive car.

215: To Reynishverfvegur, another black sand beach, with amazing basalt columns

Nitemare,

We're staying at the Grand Guesthouse Gardakot. I definitely want to go to Reynishverfvegur - even though we'll be travelling to Ireland we will not be taking the trip to the Giant's Causeway which travelers to Iceland say is a pale imitation of this anyway.:)

And puffins? Yes! Up close? Even better!

Are you saying these are rough roads but not the dreaded "not to be driven on with rental cars" F roads? I haven't reserved my car but sounds like I need to get a 4-wheel drive to really enjoy anything off the main roads.

Nitemare,

We're staying at the Grand Guesthouse Gardakot. I definitely want to go to Reynishverfvegur - even though we'll be travelling to Ireland we will not be taking the trip to the Giant's Causeway which travelers to Iceland say is a pale imitation of this anyway.:)

And puffins? Yes! Up close? Even better!

Are you saying these are rough roads but not the dreaded "not to be driven on with rental cars" F roads? I haven't reserved my car but sounds like I need to get a 4-wheel drive to really enjoy anything off the main roads.

Gardakot puts you 90% of the way to Dyrholaey, so that part is easy. And you're just outside Vik, which is good for you weather-wise. We found out after 3 nights in Vik that it's the rain capital of Icelane.

I've seen Giant's Causeway, and although the columns at Reynishverfvegur are impressive, they totally pale in comparison to the Causeway, which remains one of our Top 10 places visited. But they are totally awesome compared to Iceland's famous "Church Floor", in Kirkjugólf, which isn't too far away from Vik. The Church Floor is one of the two or three least impressive tourist "attractions" I have ever seen (right up there with our own Plymouth Rock).

The roads I listed are all pretty decent, other than 221 to the glacier. We've driven it twice, once in a Land Rover (we had rented a Nissan, but it was out and they upgraded us) and once in a Land Cruiser (we went "all out" on last months trip, fearing snow and ice), and we were very happy to have the clearance. Any 4 wheel drive vehicle with more than 8-9" of clearance should get you through any non-mountain road.

Can anyone advise what the weather will be in Iceland the last two weeks of July. We need to start thinking about packing and need to decide what to lug along.

I've seen 72 degrees in late June, and I've seen 42 degrees in mid August, so somewhere in between? Bring layers and a windbreaker with a hood, and you'll be fine.

Thank you, Nitemare. Appreciate the suggestions. We have been to Reykjevik, and found it beautiful, so I understand your comments about Iceland overall;) We'll be there from 9am- 7pm that day. We've already booked a car to go to Lake Myvatn and Godofoss waterfall from Akureyri, but have no ideas for Djupivogur area. The trip to Jokulsarlan and Skaftafell glaciers might be the best bet for us. How long should we allow for this? Thanx so much!

How long are you in port?

The East Fjords are (to me) the least interesting part of Iceland. Of course the least interesting part of Iceland is much more interesting than pretty much anywhere else I've been!!

If you can rent a car, a ride up to Myvatn is a good choice. There's a great geothermal bath just before you get to the town, and there's a caldera (Hverfell) that you can climb with just a little effort. You can also take a side trip to Dettifoss and Námaskarð Pass (these are both near Myvatn). This is easily a 4 hour trip each way, so be advised.

If you're not getting a car, then an excursion to the Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon would be your best choice, to see all the floating icebergs. Or you can rent a car and go to Jokulsarlon and to Skaftafell and check out the glaciers there. This is a slightly shorter trip than the other one

Thank you, Nitemare. Appreciate the suggestions. We have been to Reykjevik, and found it beautiful, so I understand your comments about Iceland overall;) We'll be there from 9am- 7pm that day. We've already booked a car to go to Lake Myvatn and Godofoss waterfall from Akureyri, but have no ideas for Djupivogur area. The trip to Jokulsarlan and Skaftafell glaciers might be the best bet for us. How long should we allow for this? Thanx so much!

I'd look at Google Maps or similar (there are some good resources on official Iceland tourist sites) to get an idea for how long the trip is.

You don't have to take an amphibious tour at Jokulsarlan (they aren't cheap, and you need to allow at least 90 minutes in case there's a line) to see the icebergs, but it's pretty neat to do so. If you go to Skaftafell, the main entrance to the park is on Road 998. There's another road, really near 998 (1/4 mile or so?), just to the right of it as you face 998 on Route 1, which is a very short ride on a good road to a parking lot that brings you very close to the glacier. Awesome views there, and you can do this much more quickly than the "official" entrance on 998.

Again, Nitemare, great and useful suggestions! Thank you.

I'd look at Google Maps or similar (there are some good resources on official Iceland tourist sites) to get an idea for how long the trip is.

You don't have to take an amphibious tour at Jokulsarlan (they aren't cheap, and you need to allow at least 90 minutes in case there's a line) to see the icebergs, but it's pretty neat to do so. If you go to Skaftafell, the main entrance to the park is on Road 998. There's another road, really near 998 (1/4 mile or so?), just to the right of it as you face 998 on Route 1, which is a very short ride on a good road to a parking lot that brings you very close to the glacier. Awesome views there, and you can do this much more quickly than the "official" entrance on 998.

Hello,

We will be in the Reykjavik for two nights this summer. Is it better to purchase Krona at the airport or in Reykjavik? What should we look for as a place to exchange currency? Should we change dollars to krona or use a credit card? Thanks in advance.

I used my charge card almost everywhere in Iceland. I think I cashed in $20 at the airport and had cash left to come home with. I have a charge card that doesn't change exchange fees

I always use an ATM to get the best rates. (there was a machine right by the luggage carousel, if it's still there). I travel with 2 ATM cards that have no fees attached. I carry two, since I had a problem in Europe and it went to the fraud unit (even tho' I told them in every imaginable way that I'd be out of the country). It took 2 countries and over $400 in phone bills (that the bank reimbursed me for), to get it straightened out. On that trip, I only had 1 ATM card and had to borrow money until I got it straightened out.

I used my charge card almost everywhere in Iceland. I think I cashed in $20 at the airport and had cash left to come home with. I have a charge card that doesn't change exchange fees

I always use an ATM to get the best rates. (there was a machine right by the luggage carousel, if it's still there). I travel with 2 ATM cards that have no fees attached. I carry two, since I had a problem in Europe and it went to the fraud unit (even tho' I told them in every imaginable way that I'd be out of the country). It took 2 countries and over $400 in phone bills (that the bank reimbursed me for), to get it straightened out. On that trip, I only had 1 ATM card and had to borrow money until I got it straightened out.

Thanks for the info Linda. Forewarned, hopefully we can avoid your tribulations.