Iceland - questions answered

While it would be nice to 'tick the box' of crossing the Arctic Circle, I think it will be near enough, and cold enough, for me!

Hi, we ourselves have actually been up to Ny-Alesund in Spitsbergen which is at 79N, so were not at all bothered by it, but I did feel that the rest of the passengers were "short changed" by not getting a certificate as we had sailed, according to the ships TV, at 66.37N at some stage, when the Arctic Circle is at 66.33.39N. There were lots of passengers from all around the world on this cruise who might have considered it quite an achievement for themselves to have been in the Arctic Circle. We must have been extremely lucky with the weather as it was actually relatively warm when we were there over 3 days, and as we sailed north from Reykjavik to Akureyri, we were sailing with the wind and in the same direction as it was blowing, so we had a lovely few hours looking for the Northern Lights, which we did see on a number of occasions over a few nights on the cruise

Edited by Hotshot80

Depending on where in Norway you are going, you may cross the Arctic Circle. But leaving Akureyri and heading East to Norway doesn't require that crossing.

Of course after looking at dozens of maps just now on the Internet, it's just as easy to find a map that says you do cross the line as it it to find one that says you wouldn't -- all I can go on is that when we were doing our recent trip, we were told the only way to truly cross the circle in Iceland was to go up to Grimsey.

Being cynical, I wonder whether that was a deliberate ploy by the Cruise Line to encourage passengers to pay $429 each to get a certificate. The rumour on the ship was that only 4 passengers had taken that particular trip

Kalrth, before we went to Copenhagen I became very familiar with the thread that you mentioned and I'm very grateful to you for starting one up for Iceland. It's been very helpful! :) We will be there for an overnight next June 27th & 28th on the Celebrity Infinity. For the long first day stay I was considering a Golden Circle tour, but I saw that you recommended the South Shore tour when the poster asked which you would favor if you were to only take one tour. Do you think the South Shore tour is a better choice then the Golden Circle? And if so, why?

I think I recommended a tour of the south instead of a tour of Reykjanes. The Golden Circle is the tour I would recommend as a 1st tour.

Painting very broad strokes I would classify the different parts of Iceland in the following way:

Reykjavik: Food, culture, the only city in Iceland.

Reykjanes: Lava everywhere, boiling a few meters under the surface.

South: Very flat and tourist friendly. Most of Iceland's glaciers and volcanoes border the southern part of Iceland.

West: The charming Snaefellsnes peninsula.

Westfjords: Dramatic fjords and relatively few tourists.

North: Massive waterfalls, canyons and beautiful Akureyri.

East: Norway, lots of fjords and usually the warmest part of Iceland during the summer months.

We're mapping out a return this winter for Northern Lights.

The question we're mulling now, is do we go in mid February, when the nights are longer for a better shot at seeing them (and have less daylight for touring during the days), or wait until late March, when the nights are shorter, but the days are longer and we can do more snow oriented touring.

Any thoughts on this, Karlth?

We're mapping out a return this winter for Northern Lights.

The question we're mulling now, is do we go in mid February, when the nights are longer for a better shot at seeing them (and have less daylight for touring during the days), or wait until late March, when the nights are shorter, but the days are longer and we can do more snow oriented touring.

Any thoughts on this, Karlth?

If northern lights are your main concern then February. The ski resorts are also open then and you should be able to get great deals at hotels and restaurants.

If northern lights are your main concern then February. The ski resorts are also open then and you should be able to get great deals at hotels and restaurants.

Northern Lights are indeed what we'd be returning for. And by "snow oriented" I meant more like glacier exploring than skiing. I can ski here (I just chose not to!), but I can't explore a glacier here.

Takk!

• 2 weeks later...

Karlth,

This has been so helpful..thanks! We are not cruising to Iceland but rather doing a tour the first week in November to see the Northern Lights (hopefully) along with your beautiful countryside. We know that it will be cold and that February would be a better time but November was the only time that would work for our friends who are going with us. My question is about snow amounts that time of year. Generally how snowy will it be then? We will be staying in Reykjavik, Reykholt, South Iceland (near Hekla) and Skaftafell.

Thanks so much for any help,

Barb

Karlth,

This has been so helpful..thanks! We are not cruising to Iceland but rather doing a tour the first week in November to see the Northern Lights (hopefully) along with your beautiful countryside. We know that it will be cold and that February would be a better time but November was the only time that would work for our friends who are going with us. My question is about snow amounts that time of year. Generally how snowy will it be then? We will be staying in Reykjavik, Reykholt, South Iceland (near Hekla) and Skaftafell.

Thanks so much for any help,

Barb

Difficult to say but on the whole November has usually been milder than February. Strangely enough (for a country called Iceland) the temperature usually doesn't drop below -10 degrees (celsius) in November. The temperature in Reykjavik us usually around 0 to +5 degrees, and it should be the same in the south. If you move into the highlands it can get colder pretty quickly due to increased altitude.

Take care though and always check the weather forecasts when travelling in the countryside. The weather can turnaround quickly.

Weather forecast in english: http://en.vedur.is/

I do agree with Karlth that Iceland's name is misleading since it is quite warm during my stay. I was lucky to go to Iceland during my precruise for my transatlantic cruise. Due to the weather we missed 3 ports - Belfast, Iceland and Greenland. To people that plan to go to Iceland I recommend that you should fly there and spend more time than the only day of the cruise. It is such a beautiful place and beside I was told that the chance of missing it is quite high during the cruise (we missed it). We had such a lovely time but we still only managed to visit only the South during our 3 days visit. From the pick-up from the airport to all our day tours we used Iceland4you and is very happy with their service. Our experience is limited so we cannot say that they are the best but we can say we like it and if we should go back to Iceland we would use them again. Max the owner recommended Fosshotel Baron and it is a very nice hotel and the price is right. We visit the Blue Lagoon and think it is overrated. It is quite cold out of the water but how long can you stay submerged in the warm water? The South Coast and Glacier Lagoon with the many waterfalls and landscape along the way is well worth the 10 hrs spent. We visited the Landmannalangar on the 3rd day and enjoy the ride thro' lava field, volcano crater and the natural hot spring where we soak for free. The only problem is shower afterward is cold water. We left the Golden circle for the day when the cruise visit but end up missing it but no regret since this is the excuse for a second visit. Food is quite expensive. When we were told that we have to wait for 2 hours at Seafood Grill we left and found a great little place to eat. It was close to the church and our hotel called Fish and More or something like it. They serve steamed fish and the catch of the day which we ordered was cod. For 2000 ISK there were also vegetable, sweet potato and rice. The fish is cooked just right and very fresh. I am not impressed by the lobster soup near the harbor - too salty and only 1 piece of lobster in the soup. I did not try the famous hot-dog since I am not a big fan of hot-dog. The Iceland lamb soup is also nothing to recommend. I will eat fish and shrimp in Iceland. Next visit I will go to the north or around the island. Hopefully it will be soon.

Karlth, thank you so much for all the recommendations and advice you've posted here. It certainly has helped me in planning my visit to Iceland.

My sister and I will be visiting Iceland in late January. We've already made our plans while in Reykjavik (Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon), but I'm at a bit of a loss for Akureyri. We have two full days in Akureyri and have a Northern Lights tour scheduled for our first night there. I figure we could spend one day walking around the town and even relaxing in the town's pool (which is included in our package), but I'm not sure how to spend our second day there. Given it will be winter when we'll be visiting, some tours will not be offered. Do you have any recommendations for "must see" in or just outside of Akureyri in the winter months?

We sort of like the idea of visiting Grimsey Island to set foot in the Arctic Circle. We cannot afford the plane ride there, so I'm looking into taking a bus to the ferry station in Dalvik then the ferry to Grimsey Island. Is it worth the travel time and cost to go to Grimsey Island in the winter just to set foot in the Arctic Circle? We understand the puffins will not be seen this time of year.

Karlth, thank you so much for all the recommendations and advice you've posted here. It certainly has helped me in planning my visit to Iceland.

My sister and I will be visiting Iceland in late January. We've already made our plans while in Reykjavik (Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon), but I'm at a bit of a loss for Akureyri. We have two full days in Akureyri and have a Northern Lights tour scheduled for our first night there. I figure we could spend one day walking around the town and even relaxing in the town's pool (which is included in our package), but I'm not sure how to spend our second day there. Given it will be winter when we'll be visiting, some tours will not be offered. Do you have any recommendations for "must see" in or just outside of Akureyri in the winter months?

We sort of like the idea of visiting Grimsey Island to set foot in the Arctic Circle. We cannot afford the plane ride there, so I'm looking into taking a bus to the ferry station in Dalvik then the ferry to Grimsey Island. Is it worth the travel time and cost to go to Grimsey Island in the winter just to set foot in the Arctic Circle? We understand the puffins will not be seen this time of year.

Certainly do the pool. Also there is a small but very charming ski resort directly above Akureyri (Hlidarfjall). You can easily spend a day there. Check this site out: http://www.visitakureyri.is/en/home

Also take a look at the Diamond Circle (http://www.diamondcircle.is/) It is the Northern Iceland's version of the Golden Circle. I would definitely recommend Dettifoss or Godafoss (nearer to Akureyri). Does the Northern Light tour perhaps go there? Also Myvatn is great and has its own version of the Blue Lagoon.

Thank you so much for all of the information you have provided. We will also be arriving in Reykjavik on July 8th at 1 pm on the Celebrity Eclipse and departing on Wed. July 9th at 2 pm. Then we will arrive in Akureyri on Thursday, July 10th at 9 am and depart at 7 pm. My husband and I are not interested in the typical tours, no bus tour!!! We have been given this great opportunity to visit Iceland and we want to do something adventurous.....hiking, biking, waterfalls, rafting. Can you please recommend something exciting to do on our own or on a private tour that will take us to parts of Iceland that the average person may not visit? We want to make the most of every second that we have. Thanks in advance for any information you can help us with.

If I had time in Akureyi, I'd rent a car and head to Myvatn, where I would climb the caldera again, hit the hot baths, and then head back to Namafjall, where the steam comes out of the ground, and the bubbling mud (and sulpher) caldrons are just incredible to see.

We have returned from four days in Iceland. The weather was cold and rainy, but it didn't stop us. we both feel the Blue lagoon is highly overrated and overpriced. As a previous poster has said, how long can you really enjoy walking or paddling around in the warm, steamy water? It gets pretty boring after a half-hour. A good hot soak in a bathtub has the same effect and costs nothing. We visited the Golden Circle, the South coast and the Snaefellsness peninsula. We found the South Coast to be the most enjoyable, as we were up close and personal with two very impressive waterfalls and one very impressive glacier. We enjoyed the beach with the basalt columns near Vik, and we actually loved the lamb soup we had for lunch at a restaurant in Vik. The mountains on the Snaefellsness peninsula were covered in clouds. The Snaefellsness may have been prettier on a sunny day. With all the above said, it would be a shame for anyone to miss a visit to Gullfoss, a part of the Golden Circle tour. I believe they call it Iceland's Niagara. It is amazing. If you've been to Yellowstone, you won't find the geysers impressive. Everyone we met in Iceland was helpful and welcoming. It's an expensive place to visit, but we wouldn't have missed it.

We will have about an hour transit time in KEF on our way from DEN to LHR. Will we have time to pick up breakfast items or is it more feasible to purchase items on the KEF to LHR flight? This is our first experience on Icelandair.

We had only an hour layover in Keflavik. There is a self-serve shop near the gates in the transit section where we picked up ham and cheese on croissants and coffee. There were other choices for sandwiches. There was no waiting line. We were hungry by then and we ate while we sat waiting at the gate for our next flight to board.

We had only an hour layover in Keflavik. There is a self-serve shop near the gates in the transit section where we picked up ham and cheese on croissants and coffee. There were other choices for sandwiches. There was no waiting line. We were hungry by then and we ate while we sat waiting at the gate for our next flight to board.

Thanks so much.

I am having knee replacement surgery a few months prior to our time in iceland (mid-May). Do any of the tour companies have vehicles that are easier on/off? We are actually staying out near the airport at Bed and Breakfast Keflavik.

Or maybe we should rent a car. There are 4 of us and three will have some level of mobility issues plus a one day car rental seems to be about the same price as a golden circle tour for one person. Thank you.

Edited by onthelake