Cruise points?

Thanks that's what I thought but my list of completed cruises lists more days that what the points say. If I have saled 55 days, should I be Emerald?

If your list of cruises includes cruises taken before Jan 2011, then those cruises generally counted 7 points each, no matter the length, with some exceptions.

Thanks that's what I thought but my list of completed cruises lists more days that what the points say. If I have saled 55 days, should I be Emerald?

I would think so but I'm not sure how the points may have been converted if you had cruise credits prior to the system changing.

If your list of cruises includes cruises taken before Jan 2011, then those cruises generally counted 7 points each, no matter the length, with some exceptions.

As mine did, but for some reason I was given 29 cruise credits instead of 28 for my first 4 completed cruises which were all 3 days.

As mine did, but for some reason I was given 29 cruise credits instead of 28 for my first 4 completed cruises which were all 3 days.

The conversion formula multiplied the number of cruise credits by 7, and then added a fudge factor:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

Five cruise credits before the changeover converted to 38 pointsif they were anything less than 12 nights, so it's entirely possible to have sailed 40+ days and lose points in the changeover. If I remember that series of threads this happened to quite a few people.

Do C&A points ever expire like airline miles?

Nope, never. And, unlike airline miles, you don't "use them up."

Although RCL has been known to occasionally misplace them:o

Always a good idea to keep your own records just in case.

Please, don't give them ideas!!!:eek:
I'm not sure it would be all bad if they started expiring after some period of not sailing with them, say 2-3 years. Maybe they wouldn't have to cut benefits for the true frequent cruisers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not sure it would be all bad if they started expiring after some period of not sailing with them, say 2-3 years. Maybe they wouldn't have to cut benefits for the true frequent cruisers.

You know it's not unusual to be unable to sail for a year or two because of health reasons and you want to punish those folks?

You know it's not unusual to be unable to sail for a year or two because of health reasons and you want to punish those folks?

Or 15:eek:. Somehow raising kids sort of got in the way for awhile. When we re-started in 2006, all of those old cruises counted, and went a long way to solidify our cruise line choices.:)

It's not about punishing anybody, Its about them continuing to be able to reward their actual frequent cruisers without having to pull another move like kicking Diamonds out of the CL.

It's not about punishing anybody, Its about them continuing to be able to reward their actual frequent cruisers without having to pull another move like kicking Diamonds out of the CL.

With all of the fleet getting a Diamond lounge, that's pretty much a moot argument. On the other side of the coin, however, when American Airlines announced that my frequent flier miles would start to expire if I didn't use them, I cashed them all in for flights, and then stopped flying American;)

With all of the fleet getting a Diamond lounge, that's pretty much a moot argument. On the other side of the coin, however, when American Airlines announced that my frequent flier miles would start to expire if I didn't use them, I cashed them all in for flights, and then stopped flying American;)
Not if they decide to restrict CL access to Suite guests and DL access to D+ due to the overwhelming numbers of D.

OT, but as far as US airlines go, aren't you now pretty much restricted to flying Delta and Jet Blue if expiration matters to you? I think most of the carriers have some kind of expiration date unless you have qualifying activity every 18 months or so. Just shopping online through their malls keeps your miles alive.

I really can't fathom forcing somebody with 500 points, over even 10, to start all over again because of prolonged inactivity. Cruise points aren't a commodity the way airline miles are because they can't be redeemed for a trip or upgrade and they aren't carried on RCI's balance sheet as a liability. Most people need to earn their airline elite status annually, but several carriers offer lifetime status once you reach a million miles lifetime. So I can fly on American once every 5 years and still get Gold benefits. But my unused miles still expired unless I have qualifying activity.

OT, but as far as US airlines go, aren't you now pretty much restricted to flying Delta and Jet Blue if expiration matters to you? I think most of the carriers have some kind of expiration date unless you have qualifying activity every 18 months or so. Just shopping online through their malls keeps your miles alive.

I really can't fathom forcing somebody with 500 points, over even 10, to start all over again because of prolonged inactivity. Cruise points aren't a commodity the way airline miles are because they can't be redeemed for a trip or upgrade and they aren't carried on RCI's balance sheet as a liability. Most people need to earn their airline elite status annually, but several carriers offer lifetime status once you reach a million miles lifetime. So I can fly on American once every 5 years and still get Gold benefits. But my unused miles still expired unless I have qualifying activity.

True, but my point was that if a company that I did business with for an extended period of time based on a specifically defined value proposition that was being delivered suddenly decides to not only adversely change the value proposition, but also to retroactively apply it to prior good faith transactions, I would extricate myself from that business relationship as soon as practicable.

Although RCL has been known to occasionally misplace them:o

Always a good idea to keep your own records just in case.

I think this may be where the problem comes in. I had them add two cruises by faxing over S&S cards. So now all of my cruises are listed, it adds up to 55 points but the left side of the form says 45 pints and platinum,,,,

Archived