Is Cruising A Stressful Vacation?

I love cruising, and find it to be the most relaxing of vacations. My family agrees, and MOST people whom I know who have cruised also agree.

However, there are those people who really just do not care for cruising. One example is our friends who recently took a cruise. He LOVED it but she HATED it. She is really almost bitter about having to leave a beach she enjoyed on Palma to get back to the ship. She didn't want to leave and he had to really push an in the end they took a taxi (when they had initially planned public transit) and made it with only 10 minutes to go. She is also pretty unhappy to have had to stop shopping sooner than she wanted to in another port (I forget which one). She never wants to cruise again because she didn't like having to leave somewhere she was enjoying to go back to the ship by a certain time.

So, I guess, yes there are people who find that stressful (but they probably are not on cruise critic!)

Hopefully all will be well. But if he turns out to be a pain once on board, then just do what you want & leave him to it. Make sure you get to enjoy the holiday, you are not responsible for his happiness.

If he misses a show or a meal then so be it, if he misses the ship, then he pays the price & learns a valuable lesson - it's not all about him.:)

I'm sure he doesn't tell his boss he will just turn up when he feels like it, or expects to get a table at a popular restaurant without a reservation.

It would be a chaotic world if every just did what suited them.

But having said all that, there is plenty of opportunity on board for him to just do as he likes most of the time, I'm sure it will work out fine.

I realize you are referring to a Caribbean cruise; however, your question is actually a general one. Depending on your destination, cruising may not be the most relaxing option.

Caribbean cruises tend not to be stressful. Its basically beaches, sun, and some good R&R.

European cruises, especially for Americans, can be stressful. In some cases, probably moreso than land vacations.

At first glance, cruising does appear to be a very stressful vacation. Your in ports at specific times and if you don't don't get back the ship will leave you, dinner is at set times, all the activities are at set times. But, I think that in reality it isn't stressful.

Yes, there are planned activities but you don't have to do any of them unless you're in the mood. Sure the ship docks at a specific time, but that doesn't mean you have to get off the ship right when it gets in port. And with meals, there are so many options to chose from depending on what you're looking for.

The lone exception would be the shore excursions, but assuming they are things you want to do, then to me doing them at a specific time isn't that big of a deal. Ultimately, its each persons' cruise so if you don't want it to be stressful then don't make it that way by planning everyday out (which it sounds like OP hasn't).

Also, as skagen mentioned I love the ability to totally disconnect from everything going on at home and work. This is probably my favorite aspect of cruising.

When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was "seriously?" Personally, I cannot think of anything more relaxing than a cruise. Even if you are taking some shore excursions, the most you have to do is remember to be there on time. It is not like you have to think about it a great deal. Then I remembered our first cruise [eastern Med from Venice]. Our traveling companions were friends from here -- the husband a career engineer in one of the local aircraft companies. Anyone who has dealt with engineers will appreciate this. DW and I lived in Europe for three years when we were younger, so we were not particularly stressed about it, but anyone who has cruised from Venice realizes that getting to the cruise terminal is not all that easy, particularly from the train station or other areas of the historic part of the city. And this was in the days prior to the people mover. So, during our pre-cruise time in Venice, I [unthinkingly] kept nagging DW [who traditionally takes the chief planner role] about how to get to the ship. I thought I was being funny [if you read many of my posts, you will know that I frequently think I am being funny]. But our engineer friend was seriously stressed about not having this detail down in advance, and the more I jokingly nagged DW about it, the more stressed he became. Ultimately, he did not sleep the night before we were to board. He got up early and went to the hotel desk and arranged for a land taxi. Turned out to be a great idea -- wished I had thought of it. We were on the mainland and the land taxi dropped us off right at the terminal door, couldn't have been easier. Even though my first thought was "he stayed up all night for that?" I did, at least, feel bad about that my joking/nagging about it cost him a night's sleep.

Anyway, my point is, I know that vacationing can be stressful, more so for some than others. So my pointers for OP are as follows:

1. Never feel like you have to do everything -- no matter where you go, you can't possibly do everything so don't try. Pick out a few things you really want to see/do, plan those and don't worry about the rest.

2. Since he is the one who is stressed, you take the planner role and make sure you know how to get him on and off the ship and, if there is anything he really wants to do, make enough plans to make sure he gets to do it. It may be a good idea to plan to "do it on your own" for the ports on this cruise so all he really has to do is get off the ship -- if he wants to. If you do plan an excursion or two, leave enough time for him to do things on the spur of the moment if that is what he enjoys.

Anyway, as I said above, I cannot think of a more relaxing vacation than cruising. The planning issues come up with any vacation. The great thing about cruising is that, once you are on the ship, it is all there for you and you can do it if you want or blow it off and sit in your cabin or in a deck chair all day if you want.

For me uncertainty and having to make decisions all day long on vacation is stressful. :eek: I'M A PLANNER. Even our do nothing hours are planned in advance! If you have been on a cruise you know it's as stressful as you make it. I'll bet you enjoyed your cruises and want to share your experiences with someone you care for.

Although, sounds like you may never make it on the ship, that is time dependent. You may get left at the first port. You'll spend a lot of money on taxis because excursions are scheduled, and you'll probably do a lot of walking because you'll have no idea where you are going. :)

I believe you and your boyfriend will do fine. Just don't turn it into a power struggle.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cruising, to me is the ultimate relaxing vacation. It is the only vacation where I do not have to do anything unless I just want to do it. No cleaning, cooking, making up the beds, etc. If I want to go to the pool, I go. If not, I don't.. RELAX..... Let your brain take a break for a week. No true structure for me. I love the beach so instead of excursions, I go to the beaches and again, Relax...lol

I also might add, no cell phones, or computers for a week!!!! whoohooo...

Embarkation can be stressful. Be sure and get to the port around noon and you should be fine. Have a checklist and pack your passports and cruise docs in the vehicle a few days before you leave.

Its really a good idea to have a watch set to ship time since phones can update and you usually don't take them with you all over. If you want to get to a show or event at a certain time, there are clocks posted but everyone is always seeing my watch and asking me what time it is. I Recommend a waterproof watch, even a cheapy.

Its good to have an around the neck lanyard or pockets on you because if you lose your Key/Ship card, it's your room key, get back on the ship card, and your on board credit card, and so if you accidentally leave your room without it and close the door, than its really annoying because you have to track down your party or your room attendant to get back in to your room etc. Some people could find that stressful/annoying, and it keeps me from constantly having that "check my pocket and make sure i haven't lost it!" feeling every 15 mins.

If you book any tours or excursions, you will have to be sure and be at the meeting place on your ticket at that time or you will forfeit your tour and your $$. Plan on being about 15 mins early, or don't book any excursions and then you will have no stress! (You are not on any timeline if all you want to do is nab a taxi by the ship, or sit at senor frogs or on a beach within walking distance. You can go when you like, and a lot of people do that so they can sleep in if they want.)

Besides making sure you embark on time the first day of the cruise, the next more stressful thing will be getting back on the ship before the All Aboard Time so that you aren't left at the dock without a (very pricey) way back on to the boat. This CAN be stressful if you lose track of time, your (non cruise booked) excursion goes late, or if there is a ton of traffic getting back to the dock etc. If you choose not to get off the ship at all, when they you are going to have an INCREDIBLY relaxing no stress trip as the only schedule you will have to keep is embarkation, the safety drill, and debarkation day, which comes pretty early. They usually start making announcements at 7 am. You typically still have time for a nice breakfast that debarkation morning, if you want.

Sometimes traveling can be stressful, like air ports. Some times it's a LOT of 'hurry up!' and then 'wait'. But the actual ship time is SO relaxing and fun and as exciting as you want to make it. If you plan to be at the dock at least 30 min or close it prior to All Aboard time, you should have no problems. If you aren't 'do it all' kind of people, then relaxing on the local beach is probably for you.

I think you will really enjoy cruising! Just make sure that you plan all embarkations properly and you should be just fine!

If the boyfriend is having trouble with any scheduled events, just point out that they are no different from buying concert or theatre tickets. Not all things are scheduled, anyway. You can even skip the dining room and eat whenever you want. It shouldn't be stressful at all.

Sometimes flying to your cruise if it is a long way can be stressful. We did a cruise from Singapore with 5 days in Siem reap before. We flew Maui to Honolulu to Tokyo to Singapore to kuala lampur to Siem reap. About 30 hours total. Fortunately we were able to sleep a lot so it was not as bad as anticipated.

Have you gone on other vacations with him? if so, what did he enjoy about them? If not, hopefully he won't feel you have forced him into doing something he doesn't want to do just to please you so both have a miserable vacation.

My DH felt cruises were too regimented before we went on one and he still ended up with that opinion because of scheduled meal times, times in port etc. When I pointed out to him that we ate meals at the same time daily, poof to that argument. I also explained that there are many things in life that are scheduled, i.e. work, time in ports.

A cruise is no different. My only stressful thing is that on my first cruise, I needed another week off to relax from all I did on the cruise.

Don't let him ruin your vacation. I think he will probably enjoy it and want to go again, but keep in mind, some people are not cruise-aholics like the rest of us.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I will take the advice to not overwhelm him with my "cruise routine" (get onboard, check our table at the dining room, go to the windjammer, check our room, go to pool. in that exact order for the last 7 cruises haha). As for those of you who suggested this heinous idea that "cruising isn't for everyone," I would hate to need to find boyfriend! (just kidding:p... sort of haha) Hopefully once onboard he'll see what the rest of us seem to see. Maybe all my planning and "cruising" (what I call scrolling through cruise critic) gave him the wrong idea. It's fun for me! But maybe all my pre-planning gave him the wrong idea. We shall see in 19 days!! :D

Hi,

I think if you just leave him be & say 'see you later, I'm off to do such & such' he may well feel like he is missing out & want to join in. If not, doing things apart is good, everyone needs their time alone.

Just let him know the cruise compass has all the info he needs if he chooses to use it.

Have fun!:)

Other than the 2 excursions you have planned, I would try to make it as relaxing and unstressful as possible. Let him decide how late to sleep in, whether to eat at the buffet or MDR, etc. Show him the options and then let him choose what he wants to do. Obviously certain things have to be scheduled, like shows, certain meals, excursions, etc. but there is plenty of down time where he can choose to do whatever he wants, especially on sea days.

Yup. Just pretend that little fold-out diary thingy in the Cruise Compass is a menu, not a schedule, and things just kind of happen... (Me, I'll tend to do an unstructured day in the Schooner Bar, and either read to my self, or join in the shenanigans the cruise director staff host, as I see fit. That's my day off, right there.)

A cruise is no different. My only stressful thing is that on my first cruise, I needed another week off to relax from all I did on the cruise.

That's one of the reasons I try to take the train to the port cities if possible... Off the boat, onto a train, and you've still got your sea-legs and a day of decompression.

I'd suggest purchasing some water shoes for your waterfall climb. I gather that's pretty structured, if it's the Dunn River Falls one. They make you hold hands, and climb together at the pace of the guide. On the other hand, DH and walked down the path next to the falls and had a blast. If you want to avoid getting hassled, stay out of their craft market.

Yes, they told us all to hold hands. After a few minutes I stoped holding hands as I realized that It was much easier and safer to have your hands free. I really think they tell you to hold hands just so they can laugh at all the silly tourists holding hands.:p

I like the idea of the daily schedule being more a daily menu of things to pick from or not.

Put it in the bathroom with hi lite pen......lol

Each of you hi lite 2 things that interest you.... Hopefully Shared interests .....each day and if you get to one of them, or compromise both, or none....it's ok....he got on the ship!

If you plan on keeping him around....this time it's Burger King

Let him have it his way.... Then you can hook him into the next cruise and add a little more planning.

Planner Hubby and I got in a fight cruise #4..... he would start asking me at 230, drinking by the pool, what time I wanted to start getting ready for MDR. WELLLLL, maybe I might not want to go to MDR in Exactly 4 hrs.... Maybe lay here till sunset and do buffet. Maybe not eat with you at all if you don't stop mentioning planning 6x day for 8 days! The words "what time should we...." Was gonna have me sleeping on the balcony on this 1 st wedding anniversary cruise!

One reason I like all inclusives better, leave one or two times to wander Around in Seven days.....the rest no plans but the swim up bar and snorkel and eat!

But one good way to see all inclusives for future is to go there for half day on a cruise!!!

Go to trip advisor for each port and secretly print off under things to do..... A very few Things that don't involve time...... Beaches are easiest of course

Ask about them as he relaxes as days go by.....tell him these are things are for future trips....or maybe tomorrow...

I'm somewhere in the middle....loosely plan....have plan b....which i equals relax somewhere...cause we ran around port too much and danced the night away till 3 ... Equals plan b.

I did get a taste of my own medicine....my last cruise for big 50..... Procrastinating friend on our group cruise, only showed up to 40% of meals and activities on time or not prepared....sometimes not at all......slept all day and missed my dream beach.....luckily got to share it with my dad.

A person not time oriented..... Is not the person who wants the same type of cruise,,, she is like that on land....as on the seas! Did not care about what she missed, but fully enjoyed what she was able join in on. I don't think she will cruise for a long time...cause it wasn't relaxing, and she then felt obligated or guilty.

Let us know and revive this thread.... I'll be watching!

Yes, they told us all to hold hands. After a few minutes I stoped holding hands as I realized that It was much easier and safer to have your hands free. I really think they tell you to hold hands just so they can laugh at all the silly tourists holding hands.:p

You actually do not have to climb with a group at all. My family and I did it on our own.

I have cruised probably 15 times, and I absolutely love it. My boyfriend will be cruising with me in a few weeks, and it will be his first cruise. He's worried that the vacation will just be stressful because he has to "worry about where to be at what time." He says, "I just do things whenever I feels like it. If I wanna go to the beach, I'll go to the beach. If I wanna do blah blah at blah blah time, I'll do blah blah at blah blah time." I tried explaining to him that I enjoy knowing what I am doing so that I don't have to think about it, and I don't have to make plans. To me, THAT is the stressful part! And I also tried telling him the only things that he'll need to follow a schedule for is dinner and excursions. But he is set in his thinking. Besides leaving him at home, anyone have any suggestions to help!? If there's anything I've learned from cruising, it's that cruising is what you make of it, so if he goes in with a bad attitude, he will no-doubt have a miserable time. :confused:

Well, if it was me and I was the old hat at cruising and I wanted to make sure he had a good time, First off I'd do anytime dining so he can eat whenever he wants. Then I'd ask him to just educate himself with the ports ad once we get on land, I'll follow along and do what you want. Make the vacation as fun for him as you can. If he enjoys it, he'll return and then you can add more structure to the vacation. Don't try and tie him down on this one, you may end up shooting yourself in the foot.

When we cruise we like to "plan" what we're going to do at each stop but we're not obsessive about it. For me, I like to have an idea of what we're going to do but I've also been known to change my mind the minute I step on land. Last time we were in Cozumel we had plans to go out to Chankanaab but decided in the terminal to go to San Juan Beach and we spent a great day at a resort out there. Same thing happened in St Thomas. We were all set to go to Coki but when the taxi pulled into Sapphire Beach to drop people off, we liked what we saw and jumped out.

It depends on what kind of cruise you make and what kind of person you are.

I personally don't feel stressed, but I am not a "lazy" or relaxed person either, I don't need to sleep long hours etc. but I can tell you that there some some cruises more stressful than others.

My first cruise was around Mediterranean, this includes more excursions, high temperatures, less time on board and the last day you are quite tired at least in my case.

My second cruise was a Caribbean one, another world, relaxing stops, beaches, more sailing days etc, better for people who enjoy relax.

For me uncertainty and having to make decisions all day long on vacation is stressful. :eek: I'M A PLANNER. Even our do nothing hours are planned in advance! If you have been on a cruise you know it's as stressful as you make it. I'll bet you enjoyed your cruises and want to share your experiences with someone you care for.

Although, sounds like you may never make it on the ship, that is time dependent. You may get left at the first port. You'll spend a lot of money on taxis because excursions are scheduled, and you'll probably do a lot of walking because you'll have no idea where you are going. :)

I believe you and your boyfriend will do fine. Just don't turn it into a power struggle.

Enjoy your cruise.

LOL, you sound like me on our first cruises, my how I have changed!!!After many cruises we just go with the flow, love staying on the ship in port, never sweat the small stuff. Old age does have SOME advantages.;)

Archived