Fashionable in Alaska?

P.S. I was born and raised until 12 in South Central PA. We made an annual "pre-school shopping" and "first day of deer season" (our school actually had it as a holiday) trip into Pittsburgh to buy clothes. It was actually to Kauffman's in Monroeville...

Thanks for the tips! I'll absolutely be checking out the sites you mentioned. I've been stockpiling items from the Columbia outlet for months! First Day of Deer Season is still a holiday during the school season! lol I actually grew up about 15 minutes from Monroeville (in Penn Trafford) so I'm very familiar with Monroeville Mall!

I think that I will leave the Sorels at home as they are certainly not a fashion statement IMO. Certainly not any styles that I have ever seen. That is the sort of footwear for blizzards and slushy snow conditions. I did think about short Uggs but they are also staying home. I am taking a pair of Merrell barefoots, a pair of black patent Joseph Seilbel lace ups, a pair of heels and sandals for evening. Probably my brown Lacoste lace ups. All are waterproof sprayed and drying on the deck.

Canada Goose may be a bit of overkill for Alaska in July/August unless they have a much lighter style than I am used to...sort of like taking lined jeans to Florida in July! Very nice and stylin' but again IMO not really weather appropriate for Alaska at this time of year. We bought a Canada Goose jacket for my son as a gift when he coached an outdoor hockey game in upstate New York last winter. Even living in Ohio, he found that he did not wear it much because it was too warm for the winter conditions.

Most of my new items for the cruise are Northface which are reasonably stylish for all age groups. I have 3 different weights of Northface fleece and a hot pink North face rain/all weather jacket (plus two other rain jackets). I will always have a dry jacket and can change it up for pictures. The North face black rain pants are pretty boring I have to admit.

I will let you know how it works out.

Definitely leave the Sorels and Canada Goose at home! But, if you hit up Sundance some year, absolutely bring 'em :D You have to look at the Cate the Great boots - pretty darn stylish for warm winter boots!!! I've got one pair in all black and another one in grey/offwhite. I alternate them with my Joan of Arctic boots (brown/bone and traditional Sorel Caribou color). A Must-have part of a good Mountain Town uniform :)

The North Face is a good line to grab from. I've got some NF fleece and my one set of rain gear is from them. I also have a very cool sweater/jacket from there that I bought this Spring: the Sharlet Wrap. I have it in Black and Gray - took the Black one as my jacket to Italy in May. The online site now has it in bright pink.

Hardly anyone skis/rides during Sundance. For locals, it's the best time to go!!

Yeah, I lived in Park City in the mid 90s and used to get locals tickets to Sundance movies - back when it was pretty unknown and years before Hollywood invaded:p

(I also took skiing as a class in grad school - it was fun convincing my advisor I *needed* to do it:D)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey I am from Australia and my mum and I cruised Alaska last july/Aug.

I froze:D

I too was worried about wearing the same outer layer in each photo. In a 2010 holiday to east coast Canada and USA with my mum I didn't pack a day time cardigan. I expected it to be hotter, it was after all summer/ July. So on my first day in Toronto I bought a green cardigan. It appears in almost every photo of me. :o

So this time when ever we took a photos i was like wait what was i wearing in yesterdays photos. And often would shed a layer or two in order to take a photo then put them all back on again. :D

In Alaska I brought along a grey hoodie, a green fleece and Purple rain coat.(As well as a quite a few under layers)I also bought a thicker coat in one of the ports for Glacier Bay. I am so glad i did it that was even more colder than i excepted.

IMG_2784.jpg.783ca360bc76a9f111ce8ae17556ca2c.jpg

OK so this is my"hoddie" slightly different to some hoodies, its zippered, tight fitting and has fur on the hood. I only wear the hood up when its cold.

IMG_3032.jpg.db4c744aba64ad09190ecf77ec179493.jpg

This is the fleece lined coat i bought in Alaska. It was like $35 i think. This was the day we were in Glacier Bay. I think i look like a marshmallow, not at all stylish:p

IMG_2811.jpg.33d159f518378ae8b82c707842083776.jpg

My green fleece. If you can take a closer look you can see I have taken my purple rain coat off and its in my hand.

IMG_3137.jpg.159d268ec3b5ee78c888d7c11ad61e1b.jpg

I had a cheap fleece beanie and had to wrap my scarf around my head then put beanie back on as i was so cold. However ill admit i do get cold easily. You can see my mum in the background of this picture. She is wearing a red version of my purple rain coat. She only had a fleece on underneath and maybe a tank top and t shirt. Fashion scarf as apposed to a "warm" scarf no hat or gloves and was fine.

I think i don't look to bad :D The "Alaska" coat is probably the most dorky looking outfit. I bought it big so i could layer up underneath, because trust me i was one tiny frozen Aussie.

Nelie, you look fine to me. And if you needed to buy warm clothes for

that purpose? (to KEEP WARM:)), in my opinion, the stylish part does

not matter. You were on a cruise and didn't realize how cold it was

going to be and found warm clothes....good!:)

I don't think you look dorky in the pictures at all.:)

Edited by Lois R

I had always planned on buying a jacket in Alaska. before the trip my mum and I did a 16 day tour of the Westcoast of USA. So i didn't have the room to lug around a jacket. I did think i would fine more options. More prettier coats but was shock at the lack of them. Although i did get warned Alaska isnt as cold as you think it will be. Which was true except for Glacier Bay:D

I had always planned on buying a jacket in Alaska. before the trip my mum and I did a 16 day tour of the Westcoast of USA. So i didn't have the room to lug around a jacket. I did think i would fine more options. More prettier coats but was shock at the lack of them. Although i did get warned Alaska isnt as cold as you think it will be. Which was true except for Glacier Bay:D

I posted a picture earlier in this thread.....I wore jeans, long sleeves,

and a red jacket. I really don't care if it not "stylish" enough for some

folks....I like it, it was comfortable and warm:D

The first time we went to Alaska, it was the last week in August, first week in Sept. I brought enough warm clothes, but the weather was so warm that I could have worn shorts (Glacier Bay being an exception). The only time I was cold was on the Denali bus tour. My feet were so cold! I should have brought warmer socks!

• 6 months later...

My husband & I are going to Alaska at the end of May. I have my active wear & day outfits picked out but I am having trouble with dinner outfits. We are going on NCL so we dont really have to do formal night, which is fine with me. But I have heard that you can't wear jeans in the MDR after 5p, does any one know if that is true or are they more flexible on jeans since its alaska. If no jeans after 5P then what would be the next best thing?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Forums mobile app

My husband & I are going to Alaska at the end of May. I have my active wear & day outfits picked out but I am having trouble with dinner outfits. We are going on NCL so we dont really have to do formal night, which is fine with me. But I have heard that you can't wear jeans in the MDR after 5p, does any one know if that is true or are they more flexible on jeans since its alaska. If no jeans after 5P then what would be the next best thing?

Hi, I may be wrong but I don't think so.....I think on NCL you may

wear anything at any meal.....I haven't sailed with them but from

everything I have read? NCL has no dress code. I am sure someone

who has cruised with them before will answer too.

If no jeans after 5P then what would be the next best thing?

Um, any other type of pant, skirt, or dress? Do you wear jeans 24/7 at home?

I never travel with jeans, no matter the destination - they're not quite my style, they're usually heavy to pack, and they are slow to dry if it's wet (I'm not much of a Caribbean traveler - but they'd be too hot for me there). I wear black trousers because they're flexible for me - can do casual with a t-shirt or dressier as needed, depending on the exact pant.

Directly from the NCL website:

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes

There is more detail on the website:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

It was strange that I could not find it on a search. I just dug around until I found it. If y'all wear nice jeans then you will be fine.

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Lisa, the search feature is not working:eek:..there is a post at the

top of the forum about it and hoping it will be fixed tomorrow (maybe).

Hi Lisa, the search feature is not working:eek:..there is a post at the

top of the forum about it and hoping it will be fixed tomorrow (maybe).

Thanks Lois...I knew I would not be able to do a search on CC, but was surprised at how bad the search feature was on ncl's website.

Lisa

Hey. I was on NCL in Alaska and i wore jeans. However.....

Mine were black skinny leg jeans. I am in my 30's if that matters. I wore dressy tops and heals/ black ballet flats with them. Skinny leg jeans are pretty much all and people my age wear here in Australia when going out to dinner during winter. Thats just our fashion here.

Although this pic wasnt taken on the cruise ship it self. It was taken on the same holiday and i did wear this outfit on the cruise. You can see but I am wearing my black skinnys with this outfit. I might go and find some of my official photos from my cruises and upload sopme of those pics

IMG_1525.jpg.6896489dbe4391e42a4c11d2c298ec02.jpg

You can get some cute ideas from Sundance street fashion photos too, but for me - most of those styles are way too much clothing for an Alaska cruise for me. Heck, I wouldn't wear so much warm clothing while skiing in Park City:p But it's all what you're used to, I guess.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sundance+street+fashion&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TynnUfa5Bo3-9gSSmoDwCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Lands End clearance now has a couple fleece jackets & vests on sale, if I remember correctly. STP had a great sale (35% off most things) but that ended last night (I ordered a few things for my upcoming sailing trip - talk about different kind of packing!)

Have fun! Worst case scenario - just take your coat off before the photos a few times to get some of that variety you crave. For me, I guess the clothing isn't that important - for the past 10 years, I've been trying to move to a more minimalist closet, then losing weight and having to start over completely from scratch has really helped in that regard:rolleyes:

Those were the kinds of looks that I wore on my Alaska cruise. I love rocking a beanie!:D Yes, you can look great dressing for an Alaskan cruise.:D

Hi,

We cruised to Alaska several years ago on NCL and both the DH, DS, and I wore jeans at night in the MDR. Other times in the MDR I wore a denim, mid-calf, pencil skirt with a belted cable knit sweater on top. Alaskan cruises are notoriously casual. I hope you have a great cruise!:D

If you don't want to wear jeans...a maxi skirt with a pair of booties with a belted sweater would look awesome. I did that too!:D

This is very interesting reading. I am contemplating an Alaskan cruise in May of 2015 for my 50th birthday, since DH is letting me pick where we go! We always sail Royal Caribbean, so I've been looking a bit at the prices and so forth.

I very much enjoy planning out all my outfits for each day and evening, so this would be a bit different. It certainly doesn't mean I have to wear "whatever" - I can envision myself wearing nicer jeans with sweaters, scarves and coats during the day as needed. (the scarf can be my "fashion" lol) I can't imagine myself wearing jeans at dinner, but I mean nothing personal to anyone who chooses too. I've always loved the beautiful dining rooms on the RCI ships, and like to dress up a bit.

I am wondering what it would be like for me, since when I'm warm, I'm really hot and when I'm cool, I'm freezing. I may need to wear a parka! Also, I wear a hearing aid and really can't hear without it. I would really have to work hard to keep it moisture free. Regular hats don't work well with a hearing aid, they cause a lot feedback or whistling. I do have a coat that would be good as a layer over something warmer that has a hood. I can tie it but still keep it loose around the hearing aid.