My daughter asks...."why do you like cruising so much?"

I love the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I arrive at the pier and see that amazing, giant of a ship before me.....it gives me the goosie's every time!

I love unpacking my suitcase [once], eating a great meal, going to the "welcome aboard show", going to sleep in one town, being rocked gently, as I sleep, to wake-up in a whole new city or even a new country.

I love the smell of the sea and the wind blowing through my hair.

I love being treated like I matter and I'm someone special.

What do you love?

I love that while I'm on the ship everything seems to stop. The phone calls and horns honking and all of the gloom and doom on the news these days. The crazy drivers in the ports of call are more entertainment than stress. Haha

Exactly!!!!! So true!!!!

I love meeting people from different areas.

I love the fact if I cruise to a far away place, I will swallow the time change 1 hour a day.

I love getting up in the morning and going to the dining room for breakfast (even if it's just me because DW is sleeping) and wondering whom I will meet at the table.

I love getting along with dinner mates, and enjoying a before dinner drink at one of the bars.

I love getting a taste of several different locations.

I love when some of the staff have learned who I am, and ask if I want a particular beverage.

The list could go on and on and on. But the bottom line is that I'm so happy DW introduced me to cruising and we get to enjoy it together!

That first step on the ship always brings a smile to my face. I really enjoy sitting on my balcony watching the ocean go by...with no cell phone or email access. Ahh!

1400_ahh.jpg

All of those things are very true. The people are great and I never feel like anyone is looking down on me or I'm better than anyone else. The social cliques seem to fall away and everyone is there for the same reason. Relax and have fun. The ships really intrigue my technical side as well.

Flexibility, acessibility (I use a wheelchair), hospitality, seeing new lands every day or every other day instead of the same place for a week. Good food, meeting new people, great entertainment. The excitment of waiting for that next cruise (Royal Princess, 105 days!!!).

I love, love, love sailaway, watching the port disappear on the horizon and anticipating what the cruise has in store. I love exploring the ship on embarkation day. Being treated like royalty by the crew day after day is wonderful. Having delicious meals every day NOT prepared by me is sublime! I love exploring different ports and seeing what surprises are around each corner. Meeting people onboard from all parts of the world is a real treat. Having a smorgasbourd (sp?) of activities and entertainment to choose from every day is amazing. The movement of the ship (except for storms) is so relaxing. A cruise is the ultimate escape from reality! What is there not to like? :)

My daughter asks...."why do you like cruising so much?"

What do you love?

Why does your daughter even need to ask? Did you deny her the joys of cruising as she was growing up? My parents took my sister and I on our first cruise when we were 10 and 12. We were hooked. Many decades later we still love it.

I love being rocked to sleep

I love trying new foods

I love meeting new people

I love the activities on board

I love not having to drive anywhere while on vacation

I could go on and on and on

Jackie

I love this thread! Ditto to all of the above.

@ gcvt

I like that balcony picture! Which ship were you on?

That was a corner aft (#1400) on one of Royal Caribbean's Freedom class ships. Mini suite size and huge balcony for the same price as a regular balcony cabin. We got lucky on that one! :)

Simply, cruising is FUN!! Someone else cooks and cleans for you and there are so many things to do, things to eat, places to see! I also seem to always meet interesting people on cruises and always feel more comfortable talking to new people than in the "real world". Cruise ships really are floating fantasy lands!!

I love:

not cooking

no dishes

delicious food

hearing the ocean's whoosh, whoosh, whoosh

seeing the blue sky, clouds and the changing colors of the ocean

traveling to different places without packing and unpacking over and over

sea days where I don't have to do anything

freedom from mail, email, phone calls, bills

I love meeting people from different areas.

I love the fact if I cruise to a far away place, I will swallow the time change 1 hour a day.

I love getting up in the morning and going to the dining room for breakfast (even if it's just me because DW is sleeping) and wondering whom I will meet at the table.

I love getting along with dinner mates, and enjoying a before dinner drink at one of the bars.

I love getting a taste of several different locations.

I love when some of the staff have learned who I am, and ask if I want a particular beverage.

The list could go on and on and on. But the bottom line is that I'm so happy DW introduced me to cruising and we get to enjoy it together!

Awww! So nice!

All of the above!

BTW: Nice to see you again. We were on the same cruise as you 2 years ago on the Sapphire. It was a great Meet and Greet. :D How's your baby doing? She was going to retire last I heard.

Hello, again! She did and I now have a new one and he's amazingly wonderful. He'll be on his 3rd cruise September 30th. Brenda had finished her 15th when she retired. "Horton", has a way to go!

I love....

sailaways

watching the ship's wake

not having to worry about what my next meal will be (I don't cook)

having to unpack only once

listening to the sea

a gentle rocking motion putting me to sleep

always having something to do (IF I want to do it)

dressing for dinner

waking up in a new port

.... actually just about everything cruise related!

Why does your daughter even need to ask? Did you deny her the joys of cruising as she was growing up? My parents took my sister and I on our first cruise when we were 10 and 12. We were hooked. Many decades later we still love it.

I love being rocked to sleep

I love trying new foods

I love meeting new people

I love the activities on board

I love not having to drive anywhere while on vacation

I could go on and on and on

Jackie

I'm guilty!!!!! My DH and I didn't start cruising until our children were grown and yes, you're right...I admit it....I denied them!!!!

Archived