Argentina reciprocity fee for cruisers

grmmybtty

I was wondering about the experience that cruisers have encountered in regards to the Argentine reciprocity fee which was to begin on July 1, 2013. I will be paying it online as required. We will be on the Oceania Marina in December 2013 departing from Rio de Janeiro. Our first Argentine stop will be in Rio. How do the authorities deal with it? Will be be checked at every Argentine port?

I was wondering about the experience that cruisers have encountered in regards to the Argentine reciprocity fee which was to begin on July 1, 2013. I will be paying it online as required. We will be on the Oceania Marina in December 2013 departing from Rio de Janeiro. Our first Argentine stop will be in Rio. How do the authorities deal with it? Will be be checked at every Argentine port?

rio is in brazil and you need a braziian visa(photo in passport,form to fill out) canadian is $195. good for 5 years, i think the US one is good for loger. you only need to pay the recip fee for argentina, but buenos aries is in argentina not rio...

rio is in brazil and you need a braziian visa(photo in passport,form to fill out) canadian is $195. good for 5 years, i think the US one is good for loger. you only need to pay the recip fee for argentina, but buenos aries is in argentina not rio...

I am guessing "Rio" was an inadvertent error, and Betty knows Rio is in Brazil. Her question is about the three ports in Argentina on the Marina's itinerary for which she will indeed need to have paid the Argentina reciprocity fee.

Betty raises an interesting question: How will each port verify that she has paid the fee? And will processing at each stop delay valuable time in port? Ideally, Argentine officials will rely on Oceania and other cruise lines to verify in advance that passengers have complied with Visa or reciprocity requirements. But, the world is not always ideal.

I will be interested in responses from recent travelers. Good question, Betty.

This fee has actually been in force for a few years, but paying online in advance is new. We visited a couple of years ago and our fee was collected at Buenos Aires airport on arrival. We got a visa-like form stuck into our passport; it's good for ten years.

Brazil visa for U.S. citizens is also good for ten years.

Both fees arose out of anger about fees their residents have to pay to come to U.S. so you can't really blame them for charging us back.

When paying online, print the receipt and carry it with you to show to border officials. Make sure you get it back after they examine it (or carry extra copies).

Right now, I can't speak about procedure at cruise ports, but at airports and land crossings, the receipt is examined with passport on entry.

This fee has actually been in force for a few years, but paying online in advance is new. We visited a couple of years ago and our fee was collected at Buenos Aires airport on arrival. We got a visa-like form stuck into our passport; it's good for ten years.

Both fees arose out of anger about fees their residents have to pay to come to U.S. so you can't really blame them for charging us back.

Yes, paying online is new, as is paying for entries at points other than the Buenos Aires airports. Visitors arriving by ferry or cruise line, bus or train were not required to pay the fee until this year. Now all points of entry are monitored and the fee must be paid online in advance of arrival.

Of course I can blame these countries for cashing in on these fees. While Chile does have a legitimate issue with illegal immigration from Peru and Bolivia, there aren't many Americans and Canadians overstaying their welcome in Brazil.

The USA has a good reason to require visas, to determine what kind of person is visiting our country for security reasons as well as overstaying their visit.

Still, these costs are just a part of what it cost for a trip. I paid $200 pp for our Russian and Chinese visas and it was worth it.

I am guessing "Rio" was an inadvertent error, and Betty knows Rio is in Brazil. Her question is about the three ports in Argentina on the Marina's itinerary for which she will indeed need to have paid the Argentina reciprocity fee.

Betty raises an interesting question: How will each port verify that she has paid the fee? And will processing at each stop delay valuable time in port? Ideally, Argentine officials will rely on Oceania and other cruise lines to verify in advance that passengers have complied with Visa or reciprocity requirements. But, the world is not always ideal.

I will be interested in responses from recent travelers. Good question, Betty.

Dr_dawggy - You were right. I do know Rio is in Brazil and we will be purchasing the visa at the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles before we leave. I meant Buenos Aires, but I guess I had Rio on my mind. You were also right in my concern about the officials checking at each port. I am hoping that it will be smooth and that the authorities have already worked it out with the various cruise lines. That is why I am hoping that returning cruisers will share their experiences.

That is a good question.

And right now no one has answered your question.

I know that the newer of the requirements was to go into effect in July but when you visit that web site it is hard to understand if it has gone into effect. I would contact a visa service (I know that a visa is not required but they tend to be up on these things) to see what they know about it. Also you could call Oceania.

If this new procedure has gone into effect you will likely print out the receipt and insert it into your passport which Oceania would hold for you.

For Rio Brazil you will need a visa.

Keith

That is a good question.

And right now no one has answered your question.

I know that the newer of the requirements was to go into effect in July but when you visit that web site it is hard to understand if it has gone into effect. I would contact a visa service (I know that a visa is not required but they tend to be up on these things) to see what they know about it. Also you could call Oceania.

If this new procedure has gone into effect you will likely print out the receipt and insert it into your passport which Oceania would hold for you.

For Rio Brazil you will need a visa.

Keith

No reason to think the reciprocity fee requirement is not being enforced for cruise ship passengers. Enforcement has expanded on schedule at other points of entry, and Argentina certainly needs the money.

A definitive answer from cruise passengers may have to wait. The fee went into effect July 1, which is mid-winter in South America. Cruise season won't begin until the weather warms up.

The question for me is how many hoops arriving passengers will have to go through when arriving? We have been in ports in Egypt, the Caribbean and throughout Europe and other countries in South America where temporary visas were arranged by the cruise line under agreement with local officials. All passengers had to do was leave the ship with the proper documentation in hand. Hopefully, that will be the case in Argentina, as well.....although given the Argies love for bureaucratic paper shuffling I am uncertain about them making it as easy as possible for travelers to enter their country.

We are going to Buenos Aires in February ,can I apply and pay the reciprocity fee now.

Christine

You will have to visit the web site to see.

There really is no need to pay it so far in advance.

It is instantaneous unlike a visa.

Keith

Keith 1010

I noted that you mentioned that there is no longer the "must enter Brazil within 90 days of issuance" for the Visa. This was my understanding as well, however, several on our roll call disagree with me and I have become some what concerned. There is no mention of the 90 days on any of the Brazilian visa application material and no mention when I applied and was sent the visa last month. Can you give me a site that I can refer to - I've e-mailed the Chicago consulate, but not received a reply.

Fran (jrkfrk)

jrkfrk, please tell them they are wrong.

I have gotten Brazilian visas over the years three times. They are thinking of the old rule. It changed a couple of years ago.

Most recently last year for our visit to Brazil this year. I know I am right. I had a visa service take care of this for us.

I sent the visa service my application on 4/23/12. I got my visa back around 5/7/12. I entered Brazil on March 3, 2013 over 10 months later.

I can assure you they have no idea what they are talking about.

Keith

Keith 1010

I noted that you mentioned that there is no longer the "must enter Brazil within 90 days of issuance" for the Visa. This was my understanding as well, however, several on our roll call disagree with me and I have become some what concerned. There is no mention of the 90 days on any of the Brazilian visa application material and no mention when I applied and was sent the visa last month. Can you give me a site that I can refer to - I've e-mailed the Chicago consulate, but not received a reply.

Fran (jrkfrk)

Not True

You can apply for your visa as soon as you book your cruise. You do need your itinerary with your name on it to show that you are the passenger and when you are entering and leaving Brazil.

I just applied and my cruise isn't until 2014.

@ (Fran) jrkfrk--

I'm yet another poster who can assure you that the 90 day first use requirement is long past. Hasn't been in force for at least 2 years now.

But the visa's 10 year span of validity begins now on the day of issue (which is only really an issue for those of us who go to Brazil regularly and want to get the most time and visits for our money).

and just FYI: The Consulates usually take weeks to respond to email, and then you're likely to get a very general answer that might not even answer your exact question. So don't hold your breath.

Happy travels.

Thank you all for your reassurances! I was resonably certain that the 90 day rule no longer existed - but would have hated to be wrong! (I don't expected to get an on point response form the consulate, either.)

Fran

Hi

Is the fee only payable by Americans and Canadians?

I'm from UK and will be travelling to Argentina next Feb.

Americans, Canadians and Aussies all pay. Brits and other members of the EU do not, since the EU does not charge Argies to visit their countries.

I would not be surprised to see Brits charged a "las Malvinas" theft fee in the future, but nothing as yet. :)

Americans, Canadians and Aussies all pay. Brits and other members of the EU do not, since the EU does not charge Argies to visit their countries.

I would not be surprised to see Brits charged a "las Malvinas" theft fee in the future, but nothing as yet. :)

This made me think of the sign posted by the Argentine government right on the docks in Ushuaia:

IslasMalvinasSign768x1024_zps4ef727c9.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks, yes I imagine some kind of fee being introduced for us Brits.

That sign made me laugh, we have occupied the islands for over 150 years and still they think they are their islands.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Canadian and just got our Brazilian Visa and it was less than $100 each. We went directly to the Consulate in Toronto and the process was painless. We found the information on line -- it is tricky to find the right site as there are many brokers and they charge more. Be diligent and look for the official site.

Archived